Slash Ponders GN'R Reunion In 2013

Mike Honcho

Guns N'Roses will be eligible for induction into the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame in 2013 – and although he says he'll be there, former guitarist Slash says he doesn't know the event might turn out.

He says he'd have been a fan of the band even if he'd never been part of it, and he lists some unpredictable tracks among his favourites.

Slash, who left GN'R in 1996, tells Billboard.com: "I'm not sure what it was about the chemistry of the group or the songs that have resonated for so long. But there was something about the honesty of Axl Rose's lyrics and the energy of the music people related to. It was a phenomenon.

"If Guns had stayed together it would have gone through some musical changes. Axl has his thing and I was sticking to whatever it is I do. But it would have stayed as big and relevant as it was when I first started."

Unsurprisingly Slash lists the band's classics as amongst his top tracks from their catalogue: Sweet Child O'Mine, Paradise City, My Michelle and so on. But he says he's "fond" of Coma and Locomotive from Use Your Illusion I and II respectively, and says the video for Paradise City is the only one he likes because it was live.

The band become eligible for Hall of Fame induction in 2013 and it's almost unthinkable they won't be voted in first time round. Whatever happens, Slash is planning to attend.

But he says: "I have no idea how that's supposed to go. If Axl, Duff, Izzy and myself start communicating, it could go one way. If we don't, God knows.

"Guns N'Roses was all the really great bands I was turned on to as a kid. If I hadn't been in Guns it would have been my favourite band."

DownloadFestivalRadio.com

if axl gets the terms he wants, it could happen. i think this new 2010 line up is more a hobby than anything. the bucket line up was axls chance to bring back gnr, it didnt work out. i think he put cd out to see the process thru, and now he is just going thru the motions. if we ever get an ashba/ron gnr album ill be f-in shocked. i think this new crew has a short life expectancy. which would leave 2013 looking pretty good. slash & co would have to make some huge concessions to make this happen and i dont think they will.

and i dont blame them.

if axl gets the terms he wants, it could happen. i think this new 2010 line up is more a hobby than anything. the bucket line up was axls chance to bring back gnr, it didnt work out. i think he put cd out to see the process thru, and now he is just going thru the motions. if we ever get an ashba/ron gnr album ill be f-in shocked. i think this new crew has a short life expectancy. which would leave 2013 looking pretty good. slash & co would have to make some huge concessions to make this happen and i dont think they will.

and i dont blame them.

Why does it always have to be Axl' way? Why can't he be the one who will compromise?

Edited by saulhudson88

and i dont blame them.

Why does it always have to be Axl' way? Why can't he be the one who will compromise?

Because he's Axl. He owns the name of the band. If Slash wants back in, he'll agree to Axl's terms.

and i dont blame them.

like it or not he is the one holding the cards.

Edited by Jackie Moon

and i dont blame them.

Well, to be fair DJ and Dizzy have recently confirmed an album is being written and could possibly be released in 2011.

As far as the RRHOF goes, I think Axl probably won't be there, although I would like him to. What is possible is like the Van Halen Induction, when Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar accepted the award with those 2 not in the band. It could be Duff and Steven accepting the award. Or maybe just Steven.

The only thing I know is it'll very exciting to see what'll happen the night they get induction.

and i dont blame them.

Because they need Axl more than he needs them. Not a hard concept.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah if Axl has crazy demands like making Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven being only session players/paid tour musicians it could be a hard sell. There should be equal share of the wealth in any new partnership for a reunion. And if there is any crazy demands to gain ownership of the back catalog that would be horrible.

Mike Anthony was out of Van Halen when he and Hagar accepted the award.

Dave was more or less "ordered" not to go due to Ed going to rehab. There prob. wouldn't have been a tour had he gone.

It comes down to attending a swanky hotel for 4 hours getting drunk, paying for your own seats, being surrounded by critics who hated your music when it first came out and fellow musicians who didn't care much for it, who eventually became your peers over time. It's like the star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame - someone has to pay for it. I don't see Axl shelling money out for upkeep when some homeless dude takes a leak on it at 3AM.

It's possible Axl might pull a Sly Stone, which is in the middle of one of the band members speaking, go up, grab the award, say thank you, and walk off the stage. That way he avoids paying for a seat, shows up out of respect to the fans and people who inducted them, and doesn't even have to acknowledge Slash even being there, and say hi to Izzy and Duff.

and i dont blame them.

Well, to be fair DJ and Dizzy have recently confirmed an album is being written and could possibly be released in 2011.

As far as the RRHOF goes, I think Axl probably won't be there, although I would like him to. What is possible is like the Van Halen Induction, when Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar accepted the award with those 2 not in the band. It could be Duff and Steven accepting the award. Or maybe just Steven.

The only thing I know is it'll very exciting to see what'll happen the night they get induction.

and i dont blame them.

It would be up to Axl to make a reunion happen. I don't think Slash would make a lot of concessions, because the outcome from a reunion tour would benefit him greatly.

and i dont blame them.

No, not at all.

They need each other. Axl just got a little more money than Slash beacause he still wears the name "GN'R", and that would be one of the reasons Axl wouldn't do a solo carreer like Slash...

I still think that they will do a reunite tour. First a few concerts on LA and then they will see. If it pops and the things work out, they will tour the world, just like Poison.

I wonder, if there's a reunion will they play CD songs...

Im just saiyng

It would be up to Axl to make a reunion happen. I don't think Slash would make a lot of concessions, because the outcome from a reunion tour would benefit him greatly.

I think Slash would do it if he thought Axl wanted to do it and they could have a working relationship / friendship again. So far Axl says he hates Slash that pretty much ruins any chance for a reunion unless Axl changes his tune and gets more open to the idea. Slash does not want to do a reunion just for money he wants to do it for the right reasons which would be new music and tour in the style of old guns plus a renewed friendship. They would have to have a better working relationship then they did in the past to last. Axl showing up to rehersals, recording sessions on time, and shows on time are some of the requirements. Besides not leaving shows in the middle because some fan pissed him off.

Edited by rocker rockstar

I don't think Slash needs Axl. In fact, if Axl were to say give me the full 100% ownership of the GNR catalog and I will reunite I would want Slash and Duff to tell Axl to get bent.

Well, it wouldn't be a reunion without Axl. Why would you reunite, then fire your lead singer? For spite for what happened 15 years ago? Doubt it? They would have probably 4 years looking for another singer and probably just call Axl back. Axl will be a part of a GN'R reunion whether you like it or not.

I don't think Slash needs Axl, and I don't think Axl needs Slash. Their both doing fairly well touring and selling tickets right now. Slash solo and Guns N' Roses both kick ass too.

It would be cool that while Duff or Izzy were talking, or before they began talking:

Axl comes out, mouth's a "hey" to who ever is there, grabs the award, say's "I would like to thank God, everyone who has inspired me over the years, Beta, and everyone who has contributed to Guns' N' Roses, thank you very much." then put's up the peace sign before he walks away.

Possible.

More possible than Axl coming out, hugging everybody, and saying he's sorry for everything's he's done wrong, hug Slash while a storm of claps go off, and they mention a reunion is gonna happen shortly.

So basically you just want Velvet Revolver to be called Guns n' Roses instead ?

That's pretty stupid having VR called Guns N Roses is just as bad as the current incarnation being called Guns N Roses

That's not what I am saying at all. I am not sure how you derived that from my post. There will be no reunion, but if were to be on the table, I am sure Axl would want the world in return. I am saying that Slash and Duff are better off keeping ownership in the catalog then ever caving in to Axl. It has nothing to do with the band name.

True it would be stupid if Slash/Duff sold the rights to the back catalog in return for a reunion

Does anyone really think Axl will show at the RNR Hall Of Fame?

Edited by ThinkAboutYou

But he says: "I have no idea how that's supposed to go. If Axl, Duff, Izzy and myself start communicating, it could go one way. If we don't, God knows.

Slash is open to it, I'm sure Axl has given it some thought. I wouldn't be surprised if he geared up toward it, but i prefer to not hold my breath

"Guns N'Roses was all the really great bands I was turned on to as a kid. If I hadn't been in Guns it would have been my favourite band."

aw, what a telling statement

That's pretty stupid having VR called Guns N Roses is just as bad as the current incarnation being called Guns N Roses

What I thought when I saw what you two said, was that VR only needs a singer and then they can play every Guns N Roses song they want, all while having more original members than Axl's band.

It is great how Rock groups in America can play and record another person's music without permission of any kind.

Does Axl see any singing talent here in the US? After all, he was the one who recognized a young Shannon Hoon's talent. He must not have perceived the Blind Melon singer as a threat. There is no doubt that any vocal master now joining Velvet Revolver would certainly gain the same amount of attention from Mr. Rose, but probably not for the same positive reasons.

Edited by SacDogg

That's not what I am saying at all. I am not sure how you derived that from my post. There will be no reunion, but if were to be on the table, I am sure Axl would want the world in return. I am saying that Slash and Duff are better off keeping ownership in the catalog then ever caving in to Axl. It has nothing to do with the band name.

True it would be stupid if Slash/Duff sold the rights to the back catalog in return for a reunion

I certainly don't. He will not show up. This is a bunch of crazy fantasies.

I certainly don't. He will not show up. This is a bunch of crazy fantasies.

I personally think that, if Axl shows up Slash won't... they're hurt with each other... They look like freakin school girls when they are pissed off with each other.

Or if they show up, i don't think that they will do a reunion tour... i mean, they could have done it years ago but they didn't.... They show up, split the award, go home and move on with theyre lifes.

Axl has to pay for his own dinner and be surrounded by critics and Jann Wenner, the ultimate approving authority on what he feels is worthy of being in his ceremony. I think the guy is a boatload and soured me on Rolling Stone altogether. I'd love to see them vote him out of the induction ceremony. However the museum is cool and Wenner has no input on that.

If there is an induction ceremony for GNR, most of the band is going to show up. Axl might stop by and get the award, but he won't stick around and sing, or want to spring money for the priivlege of sitting amongst Bruce and Bono and doing the kumbaya at the end. Ozzy was dragged there by Sharon.

Some people on the committee are respected musicians that prob. pushed for VH or Skynyrd to be inducted. These are not bands Wenner has any love for. But he is vehemently opposed to prog rock, and I think if it wasn't for Roger Waters being friends with him, or Peter Gabriel being critically acclaimed, neither Genesis nor Pink Floyd would've been in.

The push to get Rush in is ongoing, but with a Rolling Stone article and going on Colbert, (as well as a great documentary) their name is going to pop up. They're almost at the 40 year mark as a band. 36 as recording artists.

There's too many bands that haven't been inducted because Wenner's anti a lot of different types of music. It's a magazine that has no relevance in music as much as it does the faces of pop culture that year.

Kudos to Madonna though - she had Iggy Pop cover her songs as a message to Wenner to induct the Stooges.

A lot of great bands passed over that have yet to be inducted. But Leonard Cohen is not rock and roll, and he was laughing about it when he was inducted. At least when Tom Waits is up (once Cohen made it in, now it's between Tom and Laura Nyro on the singer-songwriter front), he also has rock songs in his catalog.

Slash is going to show up regardless whether or not anyone else from the band shows up. He's there to thank friends and fans for their support over the years, there's musicians in the audience he considers friends, and of course the other members would go for the same reason. I don't think in Axl's world that kind of recognition matters, he's already said his piece on all things Rock Hall related. Do trophies like that matter to him? Maybe, but there's also a lot of artists and musicians who could care less about trophy displays for their work and just put them in storage. Others build a special cabinet with an alarm on it in case someone tries to steal it. I'm sure Slash likes to display his achievements, as well as some of the rare guitars he has bought or acquired over the years. I think he'd be more excited getting one of Jimi's original guitars, than he would a rock hall induction if he had the choice to make.

• 3 weeks later...

People are asking why has it got to be Axl's way? Even if he didn't have the rights to the name, it would have to be his way. It's Axl's vocals that are the most important part of Guns. VR didn't do nearly aswell as Guns. All that was differant was Izzy and Axl were replaced by Dave and Scott. No Axl = No GnR

• 4 months later...

and i dont blame them.

Because he's Axl. He owns the name of the band. If Slash wants back in, he'll agree to Axl's terms.

Perhaps but it would be foolish to accept such a situation to recreate the old chemistry there can hardly be a heirarchy?

CD showed that with AXL is sole control even with a whole rosta of talanted musicians who could not recreate the old magic?

I don't think things would be different with Slash et al on board.

Edited by Lines&Noses