Slash Ponders GN'R Reunion In 2013

Mike Honcho

if axl gets the terms he wants, it could happen. i think this new 2010 line up is more a hobby than anything. the bucket line up was axls chance to bring back gnr, it didnt work out. i think he put cd out to see the process thru, and now he is just going thru the motions. if we ever get an ashba/ron gnr album ill be f-in shocked. i think this new crew has a short life expectancy. which would leave 2013 looking pretty good. slash & co would have to make some huge concessions to make this happen and i dont think they will.

and i dont blame them.

Well, to be fair DJ and Dizzy have recently confirmed an album is being written and could possibly be released in 2011.

Dude do you honestly believe DJ and or Dizzy know what is really going on?

Even Axl doesn't seem to know what he is going to do next? Remember the album by the end of the year or at least an update explaining any further delay then nothing for 2 years?

Dizzy has never been a major writing force within the band and it remains to be seen how much song writing chemistry DJ has with Axl or even if Axl will give him a chance to show that he has any.

If there is a CD II recorded in 2011 I expect it to be the CDII featuring bucket et al's material, with some "embelishments" from the newer members.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah if Axl has crazy demands like making Slash, Duff, Izzy, and Steven being only session players/paid tour musicians it could be a hard sell. There should be equal share of the wealth in any new partnership for a reunion. And if there is any crazy demands to gain ownership of the back catalog that would be horrible.

Axl has no incentive to give them equal rights in the partnership now that he owns the name. The world hates him and there's been a lot of negative stuff thrown at him in the media over the years. Giving those guys equal shares isn't going to instantly redeem his standing in the public. All it might do is give him a clear conscience, but he feels he did nothing wrong in taking ownership of the name so the clear conscience thing doesn't seem to be an issue for him. There is no reason for him to cave in. Not even money is a good enough reason for him. Azoff cleared his debt with the Best Buy deal and his touring has produced some good money.

People are asking why has it got to be Axl's way? Even if he didn't have the rights to the name, it would have to be his way. It's Axl's vocals that are the most important part of Guns. VR didn't do nearly aswell as Guns. All that was differant was Izzy and Axl were replaced by Dave and Scott. No Axl = No GnR

Are you serious? Considering Axl using the GNR name, which probably sold millions of records on the name alone, and same with tickets for the shows, I would say VR was equally if not more successful than the current GNR band when they arrived with Contraband. No discussion of who is the best band or not, but you can't get away from that.

• 6 months later...

Well, I could definitely see Slash, izzy, Duff and Steve there to accept on GnR's behalf and Axl would probbaly show up late and miss the ceremony

if it comes to them playing - I could see the original 4 taking the stage w Myles taking Axl's place - then after playing, announce they will be forming their own band :rofl-lol:

• 2 months later...

People are asking why has it got to be Axl's way? Even if he didn't have the rights to the name, it would have to be his way. It's Axl's vocals that are the most important part of Guns. VR didn't do nearly aswell as Guns. All that was differant was Izzy and Axl were replaced by Dave and Scott. No Axl = No GnR

Are you serious? Considering Axl using the GNR name, which probably sold millions of records on the name alone, and same with tickets for the shows, I would say VR was equally if not more successful than the current GNR band when they arrived with Contraband. No discussion of who is the best band or not, but you can't get away from that.

Axl being the most important part of GNR is debatable. He's the frontman and became the owner of the name, but the former bandmates weren't just contributors to his vision.

They brought songs to the table and their style of playing. It's not like all the songs he came up with were used on AFD and UYI, there's outtakes out there that show he had some songs he's not so proud of.

You can say that about Pete Townshend because he was the primary songwriter, and threw Entwistle a bone. Roger didn't write many songs though, but he went into acting to make extra loot.

I think most people have a "it is what it is" attitude about Axl touring under the GNR name, including the former bandmates. Even if Axl did ask Slash in 10-20 years that he wanted the original members, that doesn't mean by then they'll be interested in it, or feel they'd be up to it.

This will be: Slash, Duff, Steve and Izzy. Axl will NOT show up. Then, they will be playing SCOM or maybe WTTJ. End of the story.

Probably Sorum too. I doubt Axl will show up though. And even if he did, he probably wouldn't perform. Would love to be wrong about that though...

You know, I would consider that as an option even if it is one in a million but unfortunately we know who and how Axl is. I'd LOVE to see them performing together even for 5 minutes, but that's NOT gonna happen. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Axl Open To GNR Hall Of Fame Reunion

The singer won't rule out joining his former bandmates at Cleveland event

Axl appeared on That Metal Show on VH1 in the US on Friday night and he said that he had reconnected with former guitarist Izzy Stradlin, and that he hoped to do more shows with former bassist Duff McKagan in the future after they reunited in London last year.

In terms of the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction he said "I don't know what it means in terms of me with the old band and the old lineup. If we were to be invited, I don't know what they would ask of me. It's up in the air."

http://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/axl-open-to-gnr-hall-of-fame-reunion-2849/

Is this the right "translation" from the media on what Axl said? Is really Axl left an open door for hall of fame or just they trying to make fake hopes??

Edited by Majestic Beast

• 3 weeks later...

if axl gets the terms he wants, it could happen. i think this new 2010 line up is more a hobby than anything. the bucket line up was axls chance to bring back gnr, it didnt work out. i think he put cd out to see the process thru, and now he is just going thru the motions. if we ever get an ashba/ron gnr album ill be f-in shocked. i think this new crew has a short life expectancy. which would leave 2013 looking pretty good. slash & co would have to make some huge concessions to make this happen and i dont think they will.

and i dont blame them.

What would Axl's terms be?

and i dont blame them.

Either he goes or he doesn't. It only happens once, and other than a Grammy lifetime award or AFD being chosen by the Library of Congress to be preserved or whatever the award is, that's about it.

Axl was extremely (and annoyingly) open ended on That Metal Show about the Hall Of Fame. Eddie Trunk asked him, and Axl basically said "I don't know what it means to me, but I know the fans do care about it and its important to them." My thoughts on that statement? He was on TV and didn't want to be a dick. Now that it seems set in stone they will be inducted, either he'll live up to his words or... just be Axl Rose.

Slash, Duff, Izzy (unless something comes up), and Steven will all be there to accept the award. That alone will be pretty fun and nice to see. I don't they'll go rogue and badmouth anyone though. They aren't kids anymore. My guess is that Dizzy and Matt will be including as well. Whether you think they should be or not is a different story, but they were part of the Illusion era and that was a huge part of the classic Guns legacy. I have no problem with them also being included. My guess is Matt would attend. He has no reason not to and already likes the rest of them. Dizzy would attend based on Axl. Since they're still in a band, I assume he'll follow Axl with whatever he decides to do.

Based on what Axl said, it would be nice since he even claims to know it means alot to the fans that he should go up there and accept. Personally, I can picture him and Slash on the same stage in any sort of form but I would love to be wrong. I just think we still have years before that ever, if ever, gets settled. As for performance, thats a total shit show IMO. My guess would be they get someone else to do it. Maybe have a band (similar to the VR/VH incident) play one of their songs, the band accepts the award, then they go to join the other band and play with them. It would hard to see them playing without Axl just because who else would sing, but I could see it happening. I think someone mentioned it somewhere that Steven Tyler and Joe Perry should induct them in. I could easily see whatever members of Guns show up play a GNR song with Joe joining on guitar and the classic Guns lineup playing with Tyler on vocals. I don't think Axl will perform with them but again I hope I'm wrong. He's just as important to the band as the rest of them and he would be greatly missed if he isn't there.

I don't think Slash needs Axl. In fact, if Axl were to say give me the full 100% ownership of the GNR catalog and I will reunite I would want Slash and Duff to tell Axl to get bent.

WOW

so you'd like to reunite GnR no matter what the lead singer want, then you'd like him to bend over and get fµched in the @$$ by the guy he hates the most, then have him sing songs he does not want to sing with guys he does not want to ply with...

WOW, you' re a true GnR fan!

so you'd like to reunite GnR no matter what the lead singer want, then you'd like him to bend over and get fµched in the @$$ by the guy he hates the most, then have him sing songs he does not want to sing with guys he does not want to ply with...

Yes. And I'd like him to look happy and sing well when he's doing it too :rofl-lol: .

Yes. And I'd like him to look happy and sing well when he's doing it too :rofl-lol: .

Nice to know...

even nicer to know that it never gonna happen... lol

Nice to know...

yeah because axl told you his intentions and his feelings

you obviously have no idea what you're talking about, you're just a ignoramus with a ridiculous avatar

lolololol

Edited by Coltrane

You have an A+ for being honest about your feelings. :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Nice to know...

you obviously have no idea what you're talking about, you're just a ignoramus with a ridiculous avatar

lolololol

I'm glad that the biggest cupcake of the board is amongst the reunionist.

That invalidates most of the point they are trying to make.

I'm not hating on all the original line-up lovers, and I respect this feeling a lot, but a reunion never gonna happen.

Axl said it countless times...

It's time to get over it and stop hating.

Nice to know...

lolololol

I'm glad that the biggest cupcake of the board is amongst the reunionist.

That invalidates most of the point they are trying to make.

I'm not hating on all the original line-up lovers, and I respect this feeling a lot, but a reunion never gonna happen.

Axl said it countless times...

It's time to get over it and stop hating.

+1 HATTERS GONNA HATE!

and i dont blame them.

Either he goes or he doesn't. It only happens once, and other than a Grammy lifetime award or AFD being chosen by the Library of Congress to be preserved or whatever the award is, that's about it.

nah axl's waiting for Appetite to go X2 Diamond in the US, only 1.7 million more sales to go (and at 100K pa, it'll only be 17 years till that happens!)

Edited by Use Your Delusion 1