Shackler's Vocal track....weird noise

Angelo666

I know a lot of you cats have had the Shackler's multi tracks for a long time....I just got it the other day, so sorry if I'm not as elite as everyone else!

Anyway, the only reason I'm really interested in these multis is cause we can listen to the pure raw feeds of Axl's vocals. Although some of them sound kinda auto-tuned/pro-tooled all to hell which really surprised me.

On Shackler's.....when he sings "I don't believe there's a reason ((RHKAHHHK)) (I don't believe it)".....there's that little.......glitchy noise. A tiny snippet of vocals, like less than a second. Just a kind of "KHHHTT" sound. Sorry I can't describe it better.

Anyone else hear this and wonder what the hell it is? It's obviously not a mistake....it's there purposely.....what is it??

I don't think it's an artifact from being a low-quality rip or something....I think it's IN THE SONG. Just weird. Thought I'd bring it up. Not like my panties are in a bunch or anything. I just think it's odd that this stuff is in there (like the glitchy sounding part in Scraped) since so much time and money was spent on perfecting this album.

Would you prefer another thread about Buckethead Vs, Slash? Or Axl's braids?

I don't think it's an artifact from being a low-quality rip or something....I think it's IN THE SONG. Just weird. Thought I'd bring it up. Not like my panties are in a bunch or anything. I just think it's odd that this stuff is in there (like the glitchy sounding part in Scraped) since so much time and money was spent on perfecting this album.

Would you prefer another thread about Buckethead Vs, Slash? Or Axl's braids?

The reason CD is full of glitches is because there was no one checking Axl. He had complete and utter control over every little detail and so, he did what he wanted which was one 100 layer, auto-tuned,pro tooled epic after another.

Some like it, some don't but imo, that's probably why it's like that.

Edited by Nintari

I know a lot of you cats have had the Shackler's multi tracks for a long time....I just got it the other day, so sorry if I'm not as elite as everyone else!

Hey man, don't you know life is all about impressing strangers on a message board?

:thumbsup:

The reason CD is full of glitches is because there was no one checking Axl. He had complete and utter control over every little detail and so, he did what he wanted which was one 100 layer, auto-tuned,pro tooled epic after another.

Some like it, some don't but imo, that's probably why it's like that.

Pretty disappointed to find out that one guy was right back when TIL first leaked: the 'goodbyyyee' at the end is pasted to artifictially extend it and it's so friggin obvious on the accapella. What I don't get is why because he could sing that easily anyway. He does a pretty good job live after singing for 2 hours ffs.

Generally pretty disappointed at how massivley processed the vocals are in general and how virtually each new line is a seperate take as if he literally just sung one line at a time and pasted it all together, which he probably did. Again, I don't really understand why it's necessary to that extent when he can be absolutely ferocious live in 2010.

The Catcher vocal sounds incredibly weak and it's from 1999. It seems crazy that in 2010 he's doing stuff live like that scream at the end of ITW in Toronto where he comes back in yet he puts out a record with sometimes weak 10-year-old vocals.

The really high lines in Rhiad after the solo are fucking stunning though.

Yeah it's my only criticism with ChiDem, I wish Axl would've redone ALL vocals with his 06-07 voice before release. Now we have tracks on which he sounds very strong (Sorry, Better, end of Rhiad, Shackler's) and other's where he sounds weak, notably IRS which would've been so much better with some classic Axl ripping.

EDIT:

One thing to remember, CD's are mixed and produced in order to sound good in their finished version... the tracks aren't supposed to sound good on their own! It's the whole picture that counts. Anyone that has dabbled in mixing know that if you spend time trying to make each instrument sound awesome on its own, it'll sound like crap when you put them all together.

Edited by Demon Wolf

Yeah it's my only criticism with ChiDem, I wish Axl would've redone ALL vocals with his 06-07 voice before release. Now we have tracks on which he sounds very strong (Sorry, Better, end of Rhiad, Shackler's) and other's where he sounds weak, notably IRS which would've been so much better with some classic Axl ripping.

EDIT:

One thing to remember, CD's are mixed and produced in order to sound good in their finished version... the tracks aren't supposed to sound good on their own! It's the whole picture that counts. Anyone that has dabbled in mixing know that if you spend time trying to make each instrument sound awesome on its own, it'll sound like crap when you put them all together.

I take your point about the mixing. But I disagree about IRS being a weak vocal. I think it's strong and piercing. Catcher's sounds like he's really struggling in parts like he does live.

I think it's pretty obvious that with the vocals on the album he was really out to prove something because they are so massively diverse. I can't think of a single other singer in rock or almost any other genre who has such a staggering range of voice and styles on just one record and sometimes just one song like Scraped. And I think that the sequencing is meant to highlight this in part. He literally sounds like a different person on IRS to how he sounds on the next track, Madagascar. His voice is so different it's crazy. And with Sorry and TIL on either side of those you have even more textures.

He was out to prove something as a great rock vocalist and he more than did it. Fuck all those lists with Mercury, Plant and Rogers at the tip and Axl down at 30 or somewhere: he might not technically be as great in a pure academic sense or whatever but none of those fuckers ever came close to the sheer range on incredible shit Axl did in just one record with Chinese. They can all suck his big hairy ginger balls.

Pretty disappointed to find out that one guy was right back when TIL first leaked: the 'goodbyyyee' at the end is pasted to artifictially extend it and it's so friggin obvious on the accapella. What I don't get is why because he could sing that easily anyway. He does a pretty good job live after singing for 2 hours ffs.

Generally pretty disappointed at how massivley processed the vocals are in general and how virtually each new line is a seperate take as if he literally just sung one line at a time and pasted it all together, which he probably did. Again, I don't really understand why it's necessary to that extent when he can be absolutely ferocious live in 2010.

The vocals don't sound any more processed than any of the other vocal tracks I've heard from various artists. Punch-in-Punch-out is pretty obvious when you listen to just the vocal takes - not unique to Axl.

I'm pretty ashamed I didn't catch the 'gooodbye' thing until you mentioned it.

• 2 weeks later...

He was out to prove something as a great rock vocalist and he more than did it. Fuck all those lists with Mercury, Plant and Rogers at the tip and Axl down at 30 or somewhere: he might not technically be as great in a pure academic sense or whatever but none of those fuckers ever came close to the sheer range on incredible shit Axl did in just one record with Chinese. They can all suck his big hairy ginger balls.

Hey, some of those same lists would have Janis Joplin left out of the top. She was one of the most expressive singers ever. Actually, I always thought of Axl as the male version of Janis in a lot of ways.

Don't get me started on plant, he may have had range, and I love Zeppelin but I couldn't stand his tone. Now that he's lost his high tone and has a deeper fuller bottom end with some gravel, I find him to be one of the best vocalists alive at this time and he's still doing fresh stuff. Watch CMT with him and Alison Krauss, the version of Black Dog is insane (in a great way) Listen to 'Dreamland' and how subtle his voice is....the take on 'Hey Joe' is from a different planet. But I digress......

Axl has an amazing voice...it his highly stylized no matter which 'version' of his voice he's using you KNOW it's Axl. For some people, that style doesn't do it for them. To each their own.

Anyway, the only reason I'm really interested in these multis is cause we can listen to the pure raw feeds of Axl's vocals. Although some of them sound kinda auto-tuned/pro-tooled all to hell which really surprised me.

On Shackler's.....when he sings "I don't believe there's a reason ((RHKAHHHK)) (I don't believe it)".....there's that little.......glitchy noise. A tiny snippet of vocals, like less than a second. Just a kind of "KHHHTT" sound. Sorry I can't describe it better.

Anyone else hear this and wonder what the hell it is? It's obviously not a mistake....it's there purposely.....what is it??

That's Axl taking control of protools to further digitally enhance an already muddy album.