Is anyone else happy...

Vincent Vega

I wish Bonham didn't have to die for the band to end, but on the same token I'm happy they didn't go into the '80s as given how In Through the Out Door sounds they would've went for a New Wave/Synth sound which wouldn't have fit them, and might've sounded even cheesier than ITOD (I only like 2 songs from that album, it's rancid) and from Presence on their material was on a decline anyway. If the songs went the way of 'In the Evening" or "Carouselambra", that would've been great, but a more "All of my Love" direction? No thanks!

Edited by MetalForever

First of all, ITTOD is a fucking magnificent album. Secondly, Presence is a fucking magnificent album. No argument.

Now, I don't actually think that LZ would've continued in that direction. Both Jimmy and Bonzo expressed some dislike for the song you mentioned, and wanted the next album to be heavier and more straight-forward. Hence Wearing and Tearing, Ozone Baby and Darlene. which were supposedly slated to be on a future release after ITTOD. Basically, Jimmy wanted to show the world that LZ could still rock even with the new Punk bands on the scene.

What is everybody's deal with Presence? I love every single song on that album. Hell, I like it better than Physical Graffiti, and Achilles Last Stand is one of my favorites.

I have no clue myself. Lots of "fans" tend to bash it for some strange reason. Not only does it have Achilles, but For Your Life, Nobody's Fault , Hots On For Nowhere and fucking Tea for One. Sure it's short, but it's sweet too :D

I gotta agree with OP, not much good could've resulted from 80s Zeppelin. Nobody from the 60s or 70s got thru the 80s in a good way.

What about Rush?

Peak with Moving Pictures in 1981 but then there's Power Windows and Hold Your Fire but a great recovery with Presto in 1989.

I think Zeppelin would have rocked in the 80s,

I have a ton of respect for their decision, I'm glad they didn't attempt to replace Bonham, though at the same time they didn't TOTALLY end it. It's cool that they were able to get back together for the fans a few times, Led Zeppelin is pure rock n roll class

I have a ton of respect for their decision, I'm glad they didn't attempt to replace Bonham, though at the same time they didn't TOTALLY end it. It's cool that they were able to get back together for the fans a few times, Led Zeppelin is pure rock n roll class

That's what I thought this thread was going to be about.

Zeppelin w/o Bonham..lol

Rush wanted to be the Police, AC/DC made Who Made Who, Priest made Turbo, Heart became a power ballad band, Yes did Owner Of A Lonely Heart, Grateful Dead did A Touch Of Grey...

:thumbsdown: All of it relatively terrible. Most of it did well in the charts and in sales, but compared to the work they did in the 70s, they all took a steep decline in quality.

i actually prefer ITTO and Presence over Houses Of The Holy, not saying i don't like it but i do enjoy more those. Candy Store Rock, In The Evening and I'm Gonna Crawl are my favorites, so it would have been interesting to see what direction they've could of taken.

First, the prog rockers of the 70s did pretty well in the 80s, and had top 40 hits.

Second - Led Zep at Knebworth was not their best performance, Page looks out of it, but you hear the 1980 shows and they were a lot better. But I do think the audience was starting to outgrow them but at the same time excited that they were touring. They were still a huge draw as a live band and "In Through the Out Door" could've completely sucked. People were just happy to get some new Led Zep at the time. I think the album cover was a little too gimmicky though, with the 6 different covers and the sleeve you would do watercolors with.

If you've heard Plant's "Pictures at Eleven", there's 3 or 4 songs that you could see Page working his magic on and making them sound like Led Zep. I'm sure some of them were written while Led Zep was still together but never got around to recording any of it.

You can tell they were drifting apart, Page and Plant were especially at odds with each other when it came to the music, and between Peter Grant and John Paul Jones, kept it together. I just think when you've made a nice amount of money doing what you love, and you are no longer in love with it, there's no real need to keep doing it if you feel its run its course anyway.

You have to remember, Plant lost his kid and they had to cut the 1977 tour short because he had been on the road while his son had a viral infection and died... that is definitely the worst thing that could happen to a father, not just to lose your son but to not be there when it happened... neither Page nor Jones went to the funeral (I think that slight in particular might have been the beginning of the end of Led Zeppelin anyway) and then Bonham died just a couple of short years later.

I love the fact that Jones and Plant have continued to explore new territory and wear different hats since the breakup, and always had fan support through it all. I like the fact that Plant and Page were able to revisit the old songs and try different arrangements out, and even at the last show they did at Led Zep, had reworked a few songs to accommodate Plant's voice. I don't think it's much different than what happened to Steely Dan towards the end of the 70s...recording sessions plagued with problems and a girlfriend committing suicide, it just cast a dark cloud over everything that they felt best to part ways at the time and not let it completely implode.

You can just listen to Plant's solo music in the 80s, and Page's "Outrider" or The Firm and know that an 80s Led Zep where they'd be on MTV with radio friendly songs, was no place for Led Zep to be. Think about how many times they were on TV in the 70s. They didn't do Midnight Special or Don Kirschner's Rock Concert, I really don't know if they would've gone "think it's time to send some promos down to Australia?" (which is what a lot of rock bands had been making videos for because it was an expensive tour for American or British rock bands to do, or Casey Kasem's countdown on American TV.). As it is, there's very little pro shot footage of Led Zep, and what exists is either the closed circuit stuff that wound up in bootlegger's hands long ago, or what's already been seen.. the 1969 appearances, the 1970 Royal Albert Hall, the 1973 MSG shows,1975 Earls Court, 1977 Seattle, and 1979 Knebworth. Page couldn't find the multitrack tapes for Seattle, so that's why he left it off the DVD. Supposedly 2 other shows in '77 were professionally filmed. Most people would love for the entire Earls Court show to be released. It's one thing for Plant to lip sync, but they'd been there, done that, and hated it a decade prior.

Page couldn't find the multitrack tapes for Seattle, so that's why he left it off the DVD.

He says that, but I have the show, it's just bloody terrible. "Sleeping sickness" indeed...

Pontiac Silverdome was supposedly filmed, what was the other one that has never surfaced?