In defense of Buckethead....

Kaneda

There are opinions in life and there are facts. When it comes to the talents of Mr. Buckethead, there is no debate. It's a fact that he is one of the most incredible guitarists to ever play. Some people on this board bash Bucket to no end, and to those people I feel sorry for you. The proof is in the pudding. Whether live in concert or in the studio, Bucket delivered the goods and then some. I'm not knocking the new guys at all by saying that. In fact, Ron, DJ and Richard would all show nothing but appreciation for Bucket's skills. To me the biggest misconception about Buckethead is that he played with no emotion. Nothing could be further from the truth. The man was 100% emotion and that's what made him so magical, he could play soulful riffs, but then go into overdrive and shred like a madman, but with feeling AND CLARITY in each note. As a Guns fan, I was really excited to see where Bucket and Axl would take the band. I think we got some of it with Chinese D, but the full collaboration between the two geniuses never really came to fruition. Not surprising, but a shame.

The departure of Buckethead still remains a mystery. Why? Well, we never heard Bucket's side of the story (or Herbie, his hand puppet, whichever). He wasn't kicked out of the band, he left. If I were to guess, I think the endless delays probably got to him. Maybe he did feel too many other people had a say in the music and that forced him out. In any line of work, if you are better than your co-worker, there's only so many ideas you want to hear from your co-workers before enough is enough. Not saying that happened, but maybe.

Regardless, seeing Guns N' Roses in 2002 with Bucket at the helm was fucking magic. The new band has magic too, but it's more spread out. When Bucket was up there, he just stole the show. But he's gone now and I'm very happy with Ron and Co. I don't need to bash Bucket to feel good about the guys in the band now. We should all appreciate Bucket for the amazing work he contributed to Guns and wish the new guys well in creating their own material and own GNR chapter. It's a long book this GNR one, with many twists and turns, but in the end, it's just about great music. Enjoy it guys, while it lasts.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I support this thread but #1 it's in the wrong section. And #2 I just one to correct one thing, Ron is a better guitarist than Bucket. But overall good thread, I approve. :thumbsup:

Bucket is a better guitarist than Ron, Bucket's solo stuff smokes Ron's, not to mention his untouchable solos on Chidem(TWAT, if the world, Sorry). I just had to correct one thing :)

On topic, yes Bucket was an amazing addition to Guns, very very well chosen. I still listen to his solo stuff in awe. One of the best guitarists around.

Well you lost me on he stole the show on stage. Did you not see that band live?

Edit: just so everyone knows I like BH as a musician just not as a person nor as a band member of Guns...

Edited by gunsguy

Okay, I support this thread but #1 it's in the wrong section. And #2 I just one to correct one thing, Ron is a better guitarist than Bucket. But overall good thread, I approve. :thumbsup:

Bucket is a better guitarist than Ron, Bucket's solo stuff smokes Ron's, not to mention his untouchable solos on Chidem(TWAT, if the world, Sorry). I just had to correct one thing :)

On topic, yes Bucket was an amazing addition to Guns, very very well chosen. I still listen to his solo stuff in awe. One of the best guitarists around.

If you want my view:

Bucket was awesome, is awesome, but I saw them twice in 2002. I was thrilled at the time but looking back on it, that lineup wasn't a band. Great show, but it was GN'R with Buckethead. He didn't really mesh as well as the current lineup. It's not all about technical ability - we could argue Ron vs. Bucket til the cows come home and all we'd have at the end of the day is a bunch of bored looking cows. The current lineup seems the best, band-wise, since the original lineup/Illusion era. DJ, Richard and Ron seem to play off each other really well. They interact like a band. Bucket was talented but it was almost like he was a guest player.

His work on the album is great but at the same time I'm also not sure how much further they could have gone with him. He's too experimental for what GN'R is.

If you want my view:

Bucket was awesome, is awesome, but I saw them twice in 2002. I was thrilled at the time but looking back on it, that lineup wasn't a band. Great show, but it was GN'R with Buckethead. He didn't really mesh as well as the current lineup. It's not all about technical ability - we could argue Ron vs. Bucket til the cows come home and all we'd have at the end of the day is a bunch of bored looking cows. The current lineup seems the best, band-wise, since the original lineup/Illusion era. DJ, Richard and Ron seem to play off each other really well. They interact like a band. Bucket was talented but it was almost like he was a guest player.

His work on the album is great but at the same time I'm also not sure how much further they could have gone with him. He's too experimental for what GN'R is.

I agree about the current version being more of a band "live" but in terms of studio work, Bucket's stuff was untouchable, even Robin's leads were better then Ron's, and Robin isn't as good as a guitarist as Ron. My opinion anyway but CDlove seems to have to mention that "Ron is better" in every single Buckethead thread, so im correcting him.

ron bores me live.

bucket might not have looked like he 'fit', but at least he was interesting. ron just sort of stands there. and he doesn't even wear a cape.

i think that third guitarist is a secret weapon of sorts. you have richard / ashba running around the stage with the rock n' roll charisma, then the third guy, the crazy guy, sits back and waits for the solos to show their stuff. bucket brings more to the table in that regard, both in terms of look and sound, imo.

Guest gunns5

Buckethead is the heart/soul and backbone of the 'new' gnr, album wise and until we have CD2 to compare with the current guitarist lineup , that will forever stand.

Guest gunns5

In technical ability Rons playing is many times over Buckets.

have you seen the last half of a song called 'Jordan' by Buckethead?

I know this is a game, but watch how difficult the song is,

and I love Ron as much as the next gnr fan, but dont go about making outrageous claims like that please.

Edited by gunns5

Guest gunns5

ahhh thats the one Jackie Moon Im just amazed when he does that solo he isnt even looking at his guitar/hands

what a fucking guitarist

Edited by gunns5

Okay let me point this out from a guitarists view, finger picking all 3 fingers(plus pick) with sweeps. No Bucket cannot match this in technical ability.

nice yet unlistenable.

See the difference is, Bucket uses his gifts for the good of the listener:

In technical ability Rons playing is many times over Buckets.

that is but one part of the things that makes a guitarist.

Bucket's phrasing and taste in notes is many leagues above Ron's.

Exactly.

Technique wise, there are things that Ron does that Bucket can't, and things that Bucket does that Ron can't.

Okay let me point this out from a guitarists view, finger picking all 3 fingers(plus pick) with sweeps. No Bucket cannot match this in technical ability.

nice yet unlistenable.

See the difference is, Bucket uses his gifts for the good of the listener:

I never said which one is more listenable, I listen to Bucket more often them Bumble, but Ron is the better guitarist.