10 years old gem sees light of day: Estranged

longcat

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd always assumed that the re-recorded overdubbed vocals on Live Era on certain songs including Estranged were just lifted from the 1999 re-recordings of the tracks done at the same time. But that vocal sounds different to the 1999 Live Era one.

Well no-ones really said about the band re-recording Estranged befre...Axl said about re-recording Appetite, plus You Could Be Mine and Patience....nothing about Estranged. So a lot of the Live Era vocals could have been done just for Live Era, and then these ones done seperately, when they decided to re-record the whole song as a band...

I'd always assumed that the re-recorded overdubbed vocals on Live Era on certain songs including Estranged were just lifted from the 1999 re-recordings of the tracks done at the same time. But that vocal sounds different to the 1999 Live Era one.

Well no-ones really said about the band re-recording Estranged befre...Axl said about re-recording Appetite, plus You Could Be Mine and Patience....nothing about Estranged. So a lot of the Live Era vocals could have been done just for Live Era, and then these ones done seperately, when they decided to re-record the whole song as a band...

That's not a re-record though, it's just a demo/rehearsal tape. I assume that Appetite For Reconstruction is studio quality.

Drums are a loop. They sound weird.

<_< Something smells fishy...

Blame Josh Freese. Everything that he does sounds robotic. Just listen to any of the Chinese Democracy demos from 1999, or even Slash's solo album. He sounds like a shitty drum machine.

That's not a re-record though, it's just a demo/rehearsal tape. I assume that Appetite For Reconstruction is studio quality.

I doubt it. Axl said in his chats that the Appetite stuff was just a DAT demo thing for rehearsals, nothing more

A lot of the drums on CD are looped

Yeah I know but why would they go through the trouble of programming a drum loop to rehearse an already released song while they already have Josh Freese to jam with ?

I mean, sure, they could do that, but what would be the explanation ?

Drums are a loop. They sound weird.

<_< Something smells fishy...

But these sound programmed, and in the side it says Freese is playing. Not to mention they dont loop in Estranged, this isnt a CD.

Yeah I know but why would they go through the trouble of programming a drum loop to rehearse an already released song while they already have Josh Freese to jam with ?

I mean, sure, they could do that, but what would be the explanation ?

Who knows. But this is only a small clip of the song, we'll have to listen to the whole thing before we can really get an idea what was going on.

fink doesnt have shit on slash. Those bends are the most emotionless ones i've ever heard. although I wouldnt mind hearing it live with axl again, even though only slaxl could truly do that song justice.

Hardly emotionless. While I'll agree that from what we've heard so far it can't top the original, Robin's tone is great.

This sounds cool...but nothing will EVER top the majesty of the original.

(Before the bashers start: thats NOT a criticism of Robin)

That's your opinion and we've heard only 13 seconds of a demo, so .. :shrugs:

PS: Someone should leak the whole thing. It's a demo of a released song, c'mon, it's not The General or Soul Monster.

Edited by marlon_brando15

I can't download the link at work, but if it's only 13 seconds I'll not bother worrying about it.

What's the crack, where did it come from and will we get the rest?!!

PS: Someone should leak the whole thing. It's a demo of a released song, c'mon, it's not The General or Soul Monster.

It probably will leak before long, it's the same as the rockband multitracks, we got a few snippets, then a few wees later they all leaked. Might well be the same case here

And dont get me wrong, i acknowledge full well this is oly a 13 second demo..but i'm saying that the original is something so special, it'll be nigh on impossible to top. And it's more a comeback to those who were sayin it already sounds better than Slash's work and the original track e.t.c. So yeah.

Edited by seely