Piano N' Roses

Lose Your Illusions

Being a piano and guitar player, I love hearing the two come together. When GNR added Dizzy Reed to the mix, the rest of the band except Axl ignored him and didn't view him as a member of the band. I can see that maybe Dizzy isn't a "real" member, and that's not the point of this thread, but Dizzy/Axl's piano parts played and play a huge role in GNR. On UYI 2 the piano adds a "bluesy" vibe to it, which i particulary enjoy. I can't imagine UYI 2 without piano, same goes for CD.

On Chinese Democracy, the piano parts, either played by Axl or Dizzy, are featured from time to time. The intro to SOD, the bridge in TWAT, the entire song in TIL, and as we saw played live as the intro to NR in the 2001-2002 and 2006-2007 tours, Prostitute. Piano contributed alot to GNR. Look at any live performance from 91 and until now, and you can probably bet at some point in the concert, you'll see Axl sitting at the piano jamming. I'm sure Axl's hero Elton John may have something to do with that.

I love pianos especially when they are incorporated with rock songs. Gnr are one of the rock bands who make it work. I always thought knockin on heavens door, don't cry, pretty tied up, and prostitute needed more piano. Also the organ played during rocket queen on live era was the best.

Edited by Sprite

Being a piano and guitar player, I love hearing the two come together.

Me too on all three counts, agree 100%, cheers.

I can't imagine UYI 2 without piano, same goes for CD.

It's what made them closer to Axl's style of incorporating Elton and Queen influence, and also created the larger crossover audience via songs like November Rain. There's a reason he chose Elton to accompany him on ''N.V.'' at the VMA's back then. It's almost an homage.

On Chinese Democracy, the piano parts, either played by Axl or Dizzy, are featured from time to time. The intro to SOD...

Dizzy said he wrote that intro actually, and the bridge, Axl the rest. They have proven a good duo in that regard, and I also think of Dizzy as an an actual member for this reason. Plus he's a swell guy, and I hear he makes a great potato salad.

I'm sure Axl's hero Elton John may have something to do with that.

Hey that's what I said! B)

Good post, and Elton, Van Morrison, Bruce, and Axl indeed are 'key's appropriate' and would be seriously lacking without.

Edited by axlskAmpf

In Gn'R, the piano added another dimension to the music and I think in the old line up, changed the way Slash created his leads. I think it was a good choice as November Rain, Estranged and Civil War are some of the better examples of songs that benefit from piano.

The piano on Chinese Democracy works great in my opinion and has proven to me that there is a place for it on every Guns album.

The negetive side of it, is that the piano takes away some of the raw rock feel the band was known for and the main sound of the band is not the same (not a bad thing)

I feel it should be present on some Guns songs, but not all.

Edited by Rovim