How are the Reading/Leeds shows gonna go?

evergreen_layne

Or well they just get lost in the moment and get won over by the Appetite stuff?

I think they have to establish themselves within the first 2-3 songs because CD is not the greatest opener. This audience will be different than the adoring fans who love whoever is in the band at the moment (Frank Ferrer's autograph!). This is a festival show and a lot of these people will have seen Slash's band already. I think it will be a real test. But then they can just play Jungle and life will be grand.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeng the reactions Slash's band has gotten at these festivals I have concluded (and I am being serious) that Adler's Appetite could get the fans to go wild for Appetite stuff. Put one original member (doesn't matter who) on stage with joe schmoe playing songs from that album and it will get cheers. It is a force of nature.

Seeng the reactions Slash's band has gotten at these festivals I have concluded (and I am being serious) that Adler's Appetite could get the fans to go wild for Appetite stuff. Put one original member (doesn't matter who) on stage with joe schmoe playing songs from that album and it will get cheers. It is a force of nature.

agreed

the fans nose wut tis reels. slash play gitar like legnds. axl need slash for gratneses. nose legnds meen axl pretnd for fans. fans pretnd to belev not crappe.

uuummmmmmmm ................. pass whatever your smoking this way homie

Do they professionally film and/or stream these festivals at all?

Sometimes. I think the headliners are usually broadcast on UK TV.

They showed some songs from Download last time they were there, but since '06 there have been more advancements with the "red button" and stuff so hopefully it will be someone on TV, and more than the 2/3 songs that emerged from the last set.

LP

I could see Dj jumping in the crowd and smashing his guitar into whoever disrespects him...( just because that's what rockstars do )

Wish he'd do that actually :rofl-lol:

Yeah, seriously now, I hope they don't get too much shit thrown at them. And if they do, I hope they leave before someone gets hurt. :shrugs:

Jesus, nobody's going to throw anything at them. At least not anymore than they normally do.

Outside of GNR forums, no one really gives that much of a shit about who's in GNR. As long as they hear WTTJ and SCOM they're fine.

Didn't the 2002 lineup play Leeds? If they survived unscathed, this lineup'll do fine.

Yeah but...remember Download ? :confused:

At Download, Axl sang "Better" better than ever when he was pissed off and standing still. Just saying. The show also ended on a good note.

Also the type of crowd at Reading is much different to those that hand at Download

First 3/4 songs at download were epic, but then sound problems kicked in and Axl started to disappear to berate the sound man.

The crowd thought Axl was just throwing a paddy and the crowd got nasty for the middle of their set.

BUT once the sound problems disappeared and they got it together again they won the crowd back by the end of the set.

So provided there's no sound issues then I don't see much of an issue with too much trouble.

Of course there will be one or two trying to wind up Axl but I guess that's no more than he's used to.

LP

Edited by Longpig

They'll be fine, just like at Sweden Rock and Helsinki Live! And whoever doesn't like the opening with CD have a big problem. How they start off the show is perfect..

Yeah, CD is the best opening track. When the album came out I thought that and hope that they'd open with it.

Reading should hopefully be fine. The thing with Download is that it is full of diehard rock fans who know all about the politics of GN'R so some may be annoyed by the lineup change.

Reading is on the whole nowadays not primarily a heavy rock festival anymore and is more a festival that 'scene kids' go to. So, most of the kids going probably will think that the band on stage is the original GN'R.

And once the classics get played everybody will be happy. The new songs are awsome live so should go down well.

The only thing is if they go on stage late which could really annoy people. If they're due on at say 8 or 9 and come on stage at say 11 or 12 then problems may start.

basically in Leeds they have a riot even if GNR dont show up. mounted police and water canons on pills. but Bucket went down well without an album. Dj is going to storm it with CD intro. the worlds is theres. Reading, never been south of the watford gap innit.

basically in Leeds they have a riot even if GNR dont show up. mounted police and water canons on pills. but Bucket went down well without an album. Dj is going to storm it with CD intro. the worlds is theres. Reading, never been south of the watford gap innit.

The riots at leeds have almost become part of the festival.

Good job Gn'R didn't play the last night in 2002! Could have been even messier!

messier? there was a full scale bottle war before the Prodigy. That's why the Axl speech was funny, there was a riot anyway. the toilets will be burning!

I didn't notice the bottle fight, I was making my way down to the front by the the right hand side during the Prodigy set and didn't really notice anymore bottles than 'normal' gigs.

Gn'R fans were lighting fires on the right while the Prodigy were on stage, waiting for them to leave.

Then it seemed everyone watchingthe prodigy disappeared and the GNR fans moved in.

It was a bit chaos down the front with the crowd swaying so much you just got carried with it ending up quite far from where you started!

On the way out I saw there was all sorts going on though, but I don't think that was the GN'R crowd as such. I saw some retards pushing over a portable toilet and others setting fire to anything that would burn.

I remember it well because I didn't drink as I was driving home after the gig!

There may be one or two idiots throwing/shouting something but it wont be anywhere near the majority people think it will be. The Reading crowd usually don't get that angry.

The only time I have seen real anger is when 50 Cent played. There was some for bands like Fall Out Boy and Panic At The Disco but that's about 5 bottles. From what I have seen on the Reading boards people are excited about it plus the alternatives are LCDSOUNDSYSTEM, Alkaline Trio and Marina and the Diamonds so if you don't like Guns then there are plenty of alternatives suited to your taste.