How are the Reading/Leeds shows gonna go?

evergreen_layne

They are really gonna have to blow away the crowd. I was at Reading last summer and to call the crowd lame is an understatement, but English crowds are known for that. The Arctic Monkeys put on a really great show, as did the Prodigy and I couldn't believe the amount of people who were simply standing still. If Axl pulls out his old tricks I'm sure he'll win over the crowd.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are really gonna have to blow away the crowd. I was at Reading last summer and to call the crowd lame is an understatement, but English crowds are known for that. The Arctic Monkeys put on a really great show, as did the Prodigy and I couldn't believe the amount of people who were simply standing still. If Axl pulls out his old tricks I'm sure he'll win over the crowd.

Depends where you go in England.

Manchester is awesome, but the Midlands, particularly Birmingham is shit. I've seen all sorts of bands and most times the crowds suck.

GN'R in Hammersmith was excellent though, but I was fucked so would have been jumping around on my own!

You were clearly nowhere near me, easily the best act of the whole week in my opinion.

You can understand people not losing their shit to the Monkeys though, I think half the Festival was still recovering from the turgid performance Kings of Leon put on the night before.

Manchester is awesome, but the Midlands, particularly Birmingham is shit. I've seen all sorts of bands and most times the crowds suck.

GN'R in Hammersmith was excellent though, but I was fucked so would have been jumping around on my own!

Yeah that's true, it would be unfair to say all of England have unenthusiastic crowds. I was at that gig too, sat next to Brian May and Elle MacPherson.

Yeah that's true, it would be unfair to say all of England have unenthusiastic crowds. I was at that gig too, sat next to Brian May and Elle MacPherson.

Good seat! I was stalking the standing section near the back going nuts.

What did you think of the crowd for that one?

Like I said I was in my own world, but from my memory there was booing before the band came on stage, but once they (eventually) took the stage the crowd seemed to go nuts....

LP

as long as the show isn't stopped due to bottle throwing i am convinced they will both go very well.

i really hope that they do, this band is awesome, axl is awesome on this tour, it would be nice to have some good national reviews of gnr , although unfortunately, the national music press have already written their articles, it doesn't matter what happens on the day! we all know that!

Like I said I was in my own world, but from my memory there was booing before the band came on stage, but once they (eventually) took the stage the crowd seemed to go nuts....

LP

Hammersmith........what a fuckin great night!

Yes there was booing before the band came out but when they did I thought the roof was going to blow off with the cheers.

I was also on the same row as Brain May. What a small world.

Do you think there will be a 'warm up' show before Leeds/Reading as they have had a two month rest?

God I hope so.,

LP

Hammersmith........what a fuckin great night!

Yes there was booing before the band came out but when they did I thought the roof was going to blow off with the cheers.

I was also on the same row as Brain May. What a small world.

Do you think there will be a 'warm up' show before Leeds/Reading as they have had a two month rest?

God I hope so.,

Hope so too!! Would go there again!

Yeah that's how I remember it too! I guess I just wondered how W. Axl Kev saw the crowd!

I was extra hyped for that gig! :)

LP

LP

It was unbelievable, everyone was booing cause it was getting late. Me and my brother were fucking wasted and I remember clearly singing along to Audioslave like my life depended on it. When Jungle took off, the standing section looked like a trampoline. I remember it fondly. I was bearing a wide, wide smile.

LP

Yeah but they had Robin back then. Hate on him if you must but he had stage presence like a motherfucker. He had his own style too while DJ is so blatantly ripping off Slash.

The crowd might not be so forgiving when they realize Axl gave up on trying to re-invent GNR he settled on trying to replicate (less and less CD more and more solos!). I'm not hoping for an incident or anything just think there's a high probability of one. DJ can win over the women but a bunch of drunk hooligans I ain't so sure.

Edited by evergreen_layne

Yeah but they had Robin back then. Hate on him if you must but he had stage presence like a motherfucker. He had his own style too while DJ is so blatantly ripping off Slash.

The crowd might not be so forgiving when they realize Axl gave up on trying to re-invent GNR he settled on trying to replicate (less and less CD more and more solos!). I'm not hoping for an incident or anything just think there's a high probability of one. DJ can win over the women but a bunch of drunk hooligans I ain't so sure.

lol

you're going to feel so stupid when the show goes just like all the others

people don't care about Slash as much as you think. as long as the name is Guns N' Roses, the voice is there and they play the classics, it'll go over well.

It will be like Download, with small pockets of the audience chanting Slash shit (which is all ppl/press will focus on afterwards)...and that was just small pockets of the audience....but then as the gig progresses the crowd will be won over and fucking loving it. Just like Donnington (who to be honest, are some of the lamest festival goers....wannabe hardcore metal fans are so funny, usually the biggest pussies lol).

Donnington was in the palm of GNR's hand for the last half of the gig or so (the business end of gig).

Festivals crowds always throw shit on stage regardless of the act, Axl just has to take that on the chin and not be so much of a bitch. Swear and insult the culprit RnR style, but don't moan like whingey fool (his temporary downfall at download was this).

Leeds & Reading will be much the same, with crowd being won over by the end. Won't be many CD songs though as its a Festival which will predominantly be crowd pleaser hits.

Remember GNR at Leeds last time, and ppl didn't really care too much, happy to hear the hits but weren't against new guns or for...just...meh.

It will be like Download, with small pockets of the audience chanting Slash shit (which is all ppl/press will focus on afterwards)...and that was just small pockets of the audience....but then as the gig progresses the crowd will be won over and fucking loving it. Just like Donnington (who to be honest, are some of the lamest festival goers....wannabe hardcore metal fans are so funny, usually the biggest pussies lol).

Donnington was in the palm of GNR's hand for the last half of the gig or so (the business end of gig).

Festivals crowds always throw shit on stage regardless of the act, Axl just has to take that on the chin and not be so much of a bitch. Swear and insult the culprit RnR style, but don't moan like whingey fool (his temporary downfall at download was this).

Leeds & Reading will be much the same, with crowd being won over by the end. Won't be many CD songs though as its a Festival which will predominantly be crowd pleaser hits.

Remember GNR at Leeds last time, and ppl didn't really care too much, happy to hear the hits but weren't against new guns or for...just...meh.

The download crowd is probably the best to play to, if a band is on time and does not mess around then the crowd is almost always awesome. When Slash played there a few weeks ago Myles said it was one of the best crowds he had played to. Axl has to go out and be on top form, as long as that happens it will be fine. If people throw random bottles and stuff it is best just to get on with the show, its a festival and it happens.

Like I said earlier the only reason the crowd got twitchy at Download was because a few songs into the set Axl kept leaving the stage halfway through songs and people thought he was having a paddy.

For the first 4 songs (I think Jungle, Easy, Brownstone, LALD) the crowd we VERY into it all. They weren't slow to warm to GNR at all. The problems started when people though Axl was being a diva and Bumblefoot had to finish YCBM.

So I don't think it's a case of having to win anyone over, if things run smoothly they will get a great reception from start to finish. Maybe CD as an opener will cause a slightly slow start, but once Jungle, easy, brownstone kick in they'll be fine.

LP

Why go to all the trouble and expense to attend a concert for the explicit purpose of being a cunt, throwing things at the stage,and trying to fuck things up for everybody? This is the part I don't understand nor condone.

Why go to all the trouble and expense to attend a concert for the explicit purpose of being a cunt, throwing things at the stage,and trying to fuck things up for everybody? This is the part I don't understand nor condone.

That's the problem with festivals though, you can hurl stuff at one band and then go see another.

Basically if he shows up on time and is on form and ignores anyone throwing stuff it will be awesome.

Hopefully some amazing footage comes out of it.

Since when does Real Rock have time constraints? and I surmise everyone and their brother knows full well where throwing things at GNR will get you, It's not cool nor tolerated.