Rapidshare's new format is sh*t!!

SunnyDRE

Originally Posted by Rapidshare-News

New product and pricing models make RapidShare as flexible and low priced as never before

June 25, 2010

As of June 29, 2010, RapidShare is changing its product and payment models. In future, the costs for RapidShare accounts will no longer be tiered according to time period; instead there will be five packages with differing features. These packages will be paid for with a new currency known as "Rapids". In order to grant our customers maximum flexibility when choosing the type of package, they will be able to switch between packages on a daily basis and hence select the features that suit them best at the time.

All previous Collector's accounts will be automatically converted into free Premium accounts on July 1, 2010, thus making it still possible to use the RapidShare service without charge.

What is actually changing: pricing model

RapidShare is launching a new currency: Rapids. This will allow users to take up various packages from June 29, 2010.

Rapids can be acquired in the following increments:

Prepaid funds

400 Rapids € 4,99

1.000 Rapids € 9,95

2.000 Rapids € 19,90

5.000 Rapids € 49,75

20.00 Rapids € 199,00

Many users will already have Rapids in their accounts from the start as both the remaining days in existing Premium accounts and unused traffic share will be converted automatically into Rapids. For each remaining day, the user will be credited with 20 Rapids. For example, if there are 10 days left in a Premium account, the user will receive 200 Rapids. Each GB of traffic share will be converted into 5 Rapids.

Any accumulated Free- and Premium-RapidPoints can also be converted into Rapids until July 6, 2010. Altogether, 5,000 Free-RapidPoints and 5,000 Premium-RapidPoints equate to 600 Rapids; 50,000 Free-RapidPoints and 50,000 Premium-RapidPoints will give 6,000 Rapids.

A maximum of 50,000 Rapids can be obtained by converting existing RapidPoints, traffic share or the remaining time on a Premium account.

What is actually changing: product model

These modifications will not change anything for Free Users. Owners of previous Collector's accounts will receive free Premium accounts, enabling them to manage their uploaded files in the Premium Zone. Downloading and storing are just the same as for the previous Collector's account.

Users who have Rapids can choose from five types of fee-paying package. What is special about these packages is that every user can turn the features off and on to suit their needs from day to day. In this way, we hope to offer our customers an even better service and, above all, much more flexibility than before.

Overview of fee-paying packages:

Name Price / day Storage Traffic / day Filemanagement Directdownload Foldermanagement Verification Licence Manager Licence Manager+

RapidSmall 4 Rapids 10 GB 1 GB x x

RapidMedium 20 Rapids 50 GB 5 GB x x x

RapidBig 78 Rapids 200 GB 20 GB x x x x

RapidSupersize 229 Rapids 600 GB 60 GB x x x x x

RapidBusiness 449 Rapids 1200 GB 120 GB x x x x x x

* RapidSmall For the RapidSmall package, users pay 4 Rapids a day. This gives them 10 GB of secured storage and a daily traffic volume of 1 GB. What's more, they can take advantage of file management and direct download features.

* RapidMedium Those who opt for the RapidMedium deal get, in exchange for 20 Rapids a day, 50 GB of secured storage and a daily traffic volume of 5 GB. In addition to file management and direct downloads, users will be able to manage their data in folders.

* RapidBig Holders of RapidBig accounts have access to 200 GB of secured storage and a traffic limit of 20 GB. Along with other RapidMedium features, in this version users will also be able to have their account verified. The RapidBig package costs 78 Rapids a day.

* RapidSupersize With the RapidSupersize account, users receive 600 GB of secured storage and 60 GB of daily traffic in return for 229 Rapids a day. As an added feature, users will have the ability to sell their own files via the Licence Manager.

* RapidBusiness With RapidBusiness, commercial customers benefit from being able to store and grant others access to even greater quantities of data for 449 Rapids a day. In addition to the features of the RapidSupersize deal, customers will have access to Licence Manager+.

Plus, business customers can receive targeted offers on request.

If users load their account with Rapids through payment or by converting RapidPoints, Traffic or remaining time, they will be set up with the smallest package (RapidSmall), with the option to upgrade at any time.

All features of the new model will be explained in further detail on June 29, 2010 on rapidshare.com.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Basically in a nutshell - Rapidshare is getting closer to making you pay for every individual file you download/upload.

Crooks.

Yeah, it's awful and they are going to lose their lead as the default file sharing service. Mediafire and Hotfile seem to be gaining ground and this will give them a lead.

If you're a dl m**ther. this definitely sucks.

One of the biggest changes is storage/last time a file was download before they delete it.

Once they implemented this, I'm sure there was super massive deletion from all their servers.Tons of deadlinks now.

Gonna suck for awhile if you like to dl, while uploaders (the life blood the internet) choose the best new service.

Edited by SunnyDRE

Rapidshit's only redeeming feature is that they don't delete shit like the other ones do.

They delete stuff quicker than any other file hoster.

Not from what I've seen. Whenever I see people upload stuff with RS and MU mirrors, the MU is almost always taken down while the RS is still up.

Rapidshit's only redeeming feature is that they don't delete shit like the other ones do.

Not from what I've seen. Whenever I see people upload stuff with RS and MU mirrors, the MU is almost always taken down while the RS is still up.

As compared to RS, Mega isn't used that much, and the key, is when you search on google MU links don't come as quick. That's key on what's available and what is quickly deleted.

It is no coincidence that rapidshare and google where just involvled in a lawsuit that brought up this very issue.

As compared to RS, Mega isn't used that much, and the key, is when you search on google MU links don't come as quick. That's key on what's available and what is quickly deleted.

It is no coincidence that rapidshare and google where just involvled in a lawsuit that brought up this very issue.

Megaupload and Hotfile get used a lot on the Warez forums I go on. I pay for those two and Rapidshare, and I almost always use the other two because I get better speeds and they work better with my download managers.

Megaupload and Hotfile get used a lot on the Warez forums I go on. I pay for those two and Rapidshare, and I almost always use the other two because I get better speeds and they work better with my download managers.

Hotfile has definitely gained way more ground.

I think for whatever reason Megaupload has always tended to be used more for single links -- so movies are often uploaded via MU -- but Rapidshare seems to be the default for most things...which will change soon thanks to their awful new services.

I only ever paid for RS but I won't be renewing when my "Rapids" dry up.

They obviously got a lot of shit for the change because they've changed it again.

As a result of the recent adjustments to our product and pricing model we have received a lot of feedback from our users. There was also positive response but we want to be honest with you: most answers were negative. With our adjustments we have alienated many users. As a matter of course, that was not our intention. Instead, it is our goal to introduce a system that gives our users more flexibility. However, we are happy about every single user response that we have received as this is the only way we can learn what our users really want. That is the reason why we have fundamentally revised our offer one more time and made it much simpler.

In addition to the free Premium Accounts, with immediate effect there is only one package for everybody: RapidPro

For 99 Rapids users immediately receive a traffic volume of 30 GB and a storage volume of 10 GB which last for 30 days.

I'm still not sure if this is any better... it certainly sounds cheaper but the "rapids" system is confusing as hell. I also had to go in to my settings and uncheck a box that automatically purchases new traffic when you run out. On the default settings it's left on.

This fucked them over.

I don't think they really had a choice.

these type of hosts are starting to getting sued, along with google. It was all a matter of time really.

I mean think about - these days if you search an album,movie,book,tv show on google just to get info - rapidshare links come up before links that tell you about the product (wiki,amazon,imdb etc.).

The times they are a-changin'. I remember when YouSendIt was the default upload service.

YouSendit was the one with the 25 download limit wasn't it? God it was awful. :lol:

As far as RS not really having a choice... they've been getting sued constantly but as far as I can see they've been winning them all. Back in May a German court ruled that RS weren't responsible for the files uploaded by users.

There just shooting themselves in the foot by overcomplicating things. Shouldn't have changed something that wasn't broken. It'll be a while before they're phased out but if they keep going they way they are - it's inevitable.

• 2 months later...