Album stream hurting sales

Estranged Reality

Album stream is why I bought Chinese Democracy. And subsequently everything else by Guns N' Roses.

:D

Well, you can guys say that it didn't hurt Eminem's new album sales, but MANY people heard Chinese Democracy on MySpace. A lot of people were interested on hearing, much more interested than people interested on hearing Eminem's albu. Because, well, you all know, it's Chinese Democracy, the legenday GNR album.

The album received around 25 listens a second up until today (November 21) after being streamed in full on the site yesterday (November 20).

Up until 4pm (GMT) today the title track had been played over 826,000 times, with the total amount of plays all the album tracks have received adding up to over 3 million.

The figures mean an average of 25 people per second were listening to one of the songs on the album at MySpace.com/gunsnroses.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If online streaming worked for Eminem it should of worked for GN'R.

I think that what hurt the sales were:-

1. The media claiming that it was not GN'R but an Axl Rose solo album just because he was the only original member left!

2. The band & especially Axl for not promoting it.

3. The album taking ten years to long for it to be released.

4. The best buy deal even though it did help recoup the money spent on making it.

5. No hit single. I couldn't believe it when better flopped!

6. Virtually the whole album leaking months & years before release.

7.The album did not sound like old GN'R.

After the Greatest Hits sold so well I was convinced that Chinese Democracy sales would go through the roof but only the die hard fans bought it!

If online streaming worked for Eminem it should of worked for GN'R.

It's not that the streaming worked for eminem, its that he did it and it didnt hurt. They only did it so people could hear the album without downloading it in hopes of listeners going out and buying the album based on quality material. I do agree with with most of the rest of your post though

And as for eminem's relevance outside north america, he did have the #1 album in the world when it came out, by far. No one was even close. I wont pretend to know what people in europe and south america and everywhere else think, but according to the charts comparing cd's sales and recovery's sales, Em is more relevant worldwide than gnr is at the moment.

But also, Eminem has the machine of Interscope and Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre behind him, had brilliant promotion, and a great album to boot. If guns had that kind of support promotion wise, maybe they would have sold as well as AC/DC and Metallica in 2008

this thing had promo.

it was reviewed in every music magazine - was talked about on every music site. had a commecial during monday night football.

people who buy cd's and like music where aware of its existence.

it was the music.

The only reason it could have possibly hurt album sales; people who might have bought it out of curiosity listened to the stream and decided it wasn't worth buying. Anybody who liked the music enough wasn't just going to listen to a fucking stream on myspace all the time...

sounds like Axl is scraping for anything he can possibly use against Azoff, this isn't even worth including, if anything it just weakens his case

it was the music.

I believe that it had more to do with bandmembers than with the actual music.

I used to hate NuGnR and think Axl was the worst asshole in rock n' roll ( for still calling this band GnR and for stealing Finck from NIN and Brain from Primus ) because it was the cool thing to do til Ron joined and I actually gave the leaks a listen...

If Ron had never joined, I would have never listened to TWAT with an open mind and I would probably still mock Axl and his posse to this day.

When you're told that something sucks on a daily basis, it's actually not that easy to make yourself your own "unbiased" opinion ( let's face it, the consensus is not that NuGnR was Axl's best idea ever ).

it was the music.

I used to hate NuGnR and think Axl was the worst asshole in rock n' roll ( for still calling this band GnR and for stealing Finck from NIN and Brain from Primus ) because it was the cool thing to do til Ron joined and I actually gave the leaks a listen...

If Ron had never joined, I would have never listened to TWAT with an open mind and I would probably still mock Axl and his posse to this day.

When you're told that something sucks on a daily basis, it's actually not that easy to make yourself your own "unbiased" opinion ( let's face it, the consensus is not that NuGnR was Axl's best idea ever ).

I agree that there was many of the old fansrightly or wrongly held the break up against Axl and the new band.

But the argument here is about the streams hurting sales. I think if someone was curious enough to check out the leaks they were willing to give the new band a chance. It appears that not enough of these listeners were convinced by the new material.

In part I think this was because given the GnR name they expected more of a GnR sound. You could argue tha the new album is more complex and lacks the immediate accessibility of the old band.

But like I say untilmately it wasn't the streams that were the problem but peoples perceptions of GnR and the Gnr sound. I think had Axl relasesd it as a solo record it woulda sold better.

Edited by Lines&Noses

sounds like Axl is scraping for anything he can possibly use against Azoff, this isn't even worth including, if anything it just weakens his case

It's called an Ego Defense Mechanism.

Level 1 - Pathological

The mechanisms on this level, when predominating, almost always are severely pathological. These four defences, in conjunction, permit one to effectively rearrange external experiences to eliminate the need to cope with reality. The pathological users of these mechanisms frequently appear crazy or insane to others. These are the "psychotic" defences, common in overt psychosis. However, they are found in dreams and throughout childhood as well.

They include:

Delusional Projection: Grossly frank delusions about external reality, usually of a persecutory nature.

Denial: Refusal to accept external reality because it is too threatening; arguing against an anxiety-provoking stimulus by stating it doesn't exist; resolution of emotional conflict and reduction of anxiety by refusing to perceive or consciously acknowledge the more unpleasant aspects of external reality.

Distortion: A gross reshaping of external reality to meet internal needs.

Splitting: A primitive defence. Negative and positive impulses are split off and integrated. Fundamental example: An individual views other people as either innately good or innately evil, rather than a whole continuous being.

Extreme projection: The blatant denial of a moral or psychological deficiency, which is perceived as a deficiency in another individual or group.

Edited by Nintari

I think the best thing for the band would be videos.

yeah throwing out a video would of probably helped but from what it seems that the record company and azoff didnt wanna fund video stuff because they dont want to promote the current line up, sometimes axl gets shit on alot

Guest Apollo

It sold over 3 million copies........and some reports have it as high as 5 million copies. That is not exactly a failure.

And Sunny, in your opinion it was the songs. In my opinion, the songs were amazing.

It sold over 3 million copies........and some reports have it as high as 5 million copies. That is not exactly a failure.

And Sunny, in your opinion it was the songs. In my opinion, the songs were amazing.

Well It seems Axl doesn't agree withyou on the sales part?

There were no singles.

I heard Chinese Democracy once at the radio, and Better many times.

i heard SOD on a weekly basis up until 2010. haven't listened to the radio much in the last few months.

this thing had promo.

it was reviewed in every music magazine - was talked about on every music site. had a commecial during monday night football.

it was the music.

people wanted to see axl, the faceless ads had no context.

Weren't those reviews mostly positive? almost unanimous?

it wasn't the music.

The only reason it could have possibly hurt album sales; people who might have bought it out of curiosity listened to the stream and decided it wasn't worth buying. Anybody who liked the music enough wasn't just going to listen to a fucking stream on myspace all the time...

i had many friends who listened and LOVED it, then they downloaded it. people wont buy something unless they decide to intentionally support the artist, and have the means to do so.

when you are a student in university trying to scrounge up 10 bucks for a gram of dope, and axl rose is cruising around malibu in his ferrari, you have a choice to make, have dope and chinese democracy (downloaded for free), or no dope and support the artist / buy the album.

its a pretty obvious decision.

Edited by Jackie Moon

Not just streaming the album was the reason for the low album sales, the leaks played a bigger part in the weak album sales.

If no leaks, the album would've faired much better. I mean, when you hear a song live it's different than when you hear a studio demo version. When people heard the same songs 30 times before the album came out, they'll probably be tired of it, of like the demo version better.

All the missinterputations and over anticipation of the album played a role too. People expected AFD 2.0, they got the Illusions mixed with NIN. When pople heard that they got turned off completely. The album was never gonna be another Appetite, nor a hard rock, blued based record. Axl want's to evolve, that's was I think CD is, an evolvement from the Illusions.

Other reason's may be the band name, anger towards Axl, grew out of GN'R, never knew it was coming out, or just didn't care. For some people, no Slash. <_<:crazy:

it was the music.

thats exactly how i felt. i was in the "slash is awesome, lol axl" camp from 2003-2008, then there was 1 week in august 2008, i read slashs book and was disillusioned, then i watched a youtube of bucket playing madagascar at RIRiii, and suddenly everything made sense. i got my head out of my own ass. just because the general perception is ;axl bad, slash good', doesn't mean its true.

there was a time when people thought black people weren't equals. just because the majority believes something itdoesn't make it true.

same thing goes for the robin finck cd performance vs. slash slash solo album performance. i just assumed slash would be better than robin because everybody always talked about slashs classic songs, solos, he wrote SCOM while finck just fucked it up. but that doesnt mean 2008 slash is better than 2008 finck, on their own material. not true, i think the better song and the better outro solo > anything on slash. when you separate yourself from the bullshit its easier to see things the way they are, at least for your own personal tastes.

I agree that there was many of the old fansrightly or wrongly held the break up against Axl and the new band.

But the argument here is about the streams hurting sales. I think if someone was curious enough to check out the leaks they were willing to give the new band a chance. It appears that not enough of these listeners were convinced by the new material.

If people liked what they heard on the stream they would have bought it...

again, making the mistake of assuming didnt buy the album = didnt like the album.

i had many friends who listened and loved it but didnt buy it. if money is tight downloading is so attractive, especially for the casual fan. i didn't even buy the album till January 2009.

Edited by Jackie Moon

There were no singles.

I heard Chinese Democracy once at the radio, and Better many times.

i heard SOD on a weekly basis up until 2010. haven't listened to the radio much in the last few months.

this thing had promo.

it was the music.

people wanted to see axl, the faceless ads had no context.

Western those reviews mostly positive? almost unanimous?

it wasn't the music.

i had many friends who listened and LOVED it, then they downloaded it. people wont buy something unless they decide to intentionally support the artist, and have the means to do so.

when you are a student in university trying to scrounge up 10 bucks for a gram of dope, and axl rose is cruising around malibu in his ferrari, you have a choice to make, have dope and chinese democracy (downloaded for free), or no dope and support the artist / buy the album.

its a pretty obvious decision.

That's what's wrong with today's music fans. Their too fuckin lazy to go out and buy an album. They would rather download crappy version's of the 4 hit single's the artist had on Itunes than buy the whole album.

Sure, I downloaded album's on torrents, but that's because I didn't really have any money to spend. I made a promise though, that I won't download another album unless I HAVE TO. An example would be Baz's Angel Down album, I looked everywhere for it, FYE, Best Buy, Target, I couldn't find it anywhere, so I was forced to download it.

Most of the albums I'll probably buy again anyway, half of them are crappy varsions.

Exactly like that, more big names that dont have to be even music artists give exposure

you should pm randy lahey (itw 2012), he has been pushing for dr.dre remixes for years.

i always felt madagascar could use a lil wayne verse.

Wayne is on fire these days, there is no act in any form of music producing more hits than him. His mixtape records speaks to the hood. Axl should bring him in, he'd know how to promote him rock1 rock1

FREE WEEZY