Album stream hurting sales

Estranged Reality

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne is on fire these days, there is no act in any form of music producing more hits than him. His mixtape records speaks to the hood. Axl should bring him in, he'd know how to promote him rock1 rock1

FREE WEEZY

i know he is gone but i feel a bucket / gaga collaboration would be immense, maybe axl could work that into one of the left over bucket tracks. its exactly what you would get if they fired talent and weird around the large hadron collider.

lady bucket?

There were no singles.

I heard Chinese Democracy once at the radio, and Better many times.

i heard SOD on a weekly basis up until 2010. haven't listened to the radio much in the last few months.

this thing had promo.

it was reviewed in every music magazine - was talked about on every music site. had a commecial during monday night football.

people who buy cd's and like music where aware of its existence.

it was the music.

people wanted to see axl, the faceless ads had no context.

Weren't those reviews mostly positive? almost unanimous?

it wasn't the music.

As a stand alone entity I think Chi Dem is a good album not very good and certainly not great. However viewed in the context of the rest of the GnR cannon and bearing the GnR name it has to be I think its a lot weaker than the prior work.

i had many friends who listened and LOVED it, then they downloaded it. people wont buy something unless they decide to intentionally support the artist, and have the means to do so.

when you are a student in university trying to scrounge up 10 bucks for a gram of dope, and axl rose is cruising around malibu in his ferrari, you have a choice to make, have dope and chinese democracy (downloaded for free), or no dope and support the artist / buy the album.

its a pretty obvious decision.

OK thats a long winded way of saying downloads prolly hurt sales and no doubt they did. But look at AC/DC and metallica they both released an album that harked back to their earlier successes and they sold well. The fact is is if you get the right product out I think it will sell?

On a side note the fact you have friends who Loved it but how many bought it? I have plenty of friends and indeed family who listened to the new album and for the most part they describe it as "disappointing " they all own the rest of the bands back catalogue in their collection but won't be adding Chi Dem.

Maybe its a generational thing? Maybe Chi Dem is appealing to a younger less afflunet fan base?

Wayne is on fire these days, there is no act in any form of music producing more hits than him. His mixtape records speaks to the hood. Axl should bring him in, he'd know how to promote him rock1 rock1

FREE WEEZY

Wayne is a piece of shit and couldn't rap his way out of a paper bag. The only reason he ever got big was because Marshall was busy ODing in his bathroom for five years. I think it's pretty clear on "Forever" who's who in the game. Eminem is 2 Pac with white skin and the last true MC.

Edited by Nintari

FREE WEEZY

Wayne is a piece of shit and couldn't rap his way out of a paper bag. The only reason he ever got big was because Marshall was busy ODing in his bathroom for five years. I think it's pretty clear on "Forever" who's who in the game. Eminem is 2 Pac with white skin and the last true MC.

Wayne's flow is silky smooth, eminem is cookie cutter.

FREE WEEZY

If by silky smooth you mean completely nonsensical, slow and sounding like it's coming from someone with downs syndrome, then I'll agree. As I said, the evidence is there. I personally don't need it but "Forever" is proof positive. Wayne's rapping like he's half asleep.. about gardens and whack shit then Em comes in and fucking DESTROYS the track. I mean...it's not even funny. He makes Wayne look like a 5th grader..lol

No man alive can touch this shit....

Edited by Nintari

streaming the whole album maybe wasnt the best idea , but 15 years in the making is what killed potential sales imo , if cd came out in the 90s it would be a whole diff ballgame but still wouldnt have matched the glory days in terms of sales , all that being said i love cd and am hoping for more new music ... fingers crossed

FREE WEEZY

If by silky smooth you mean completely nonsensical, slow and sounding like it's coming from someone with downs syndrome, then I'll agree. As I said, the evidence is there. I personally don't need it but "Forever" is proof positive. Wayne's rapping like he's half asleep.. about gardens and whack shit then Em comes in and fucking DESTROYS the track. I mean...it's not even funny. He makes Wayne look like a 5th grader..lol

You trippin fool. Weezy brings it on his verse on this

i had many friends who listened and LOVED it, then they downloaded it. people wont buy something unless they decide to intentionally support the artist, and have the means to do so.

when you are a student in university trying to scrounge up 10 bucks for a gram of dope, and axl rose is cruising around malibu in his ferrari, you have a choice to make, have dope and chinese democracy (downloaded for free), or no dope and support the artist / buy the album.

OK thats a long winded way of saying downloads prolly hurt sales and no doubt they did. But look at AC/DC and metallica they both released an album that harked back to their earlier successes and they sold well. The fact is is if you get the right product out I think it will sell?

On a side note the fact you have friends who Loved it but how many bought it? I have plenty of friends and indeed family who listened to the new album and for the most part they describe it as "disappointing " they all own the rest of the bands back catalogue in their collection but won't be adding Chi Dem.

Maybe its a generational thing? Maybe Chi Dem is appealing to a younger less afflunet fan base?

not everyone loved it, i never claimed everyone did. this was the point :

after streaming:

didnt buy doesn't mean didnt like.

this is in reply to the many people who said "well if people streamed it and then didnt buy it, they must not have liked it."

and thats not true. that was the point.

what you said about your friends who didnt like it, its all subjective. i have friends who never liked old gnr, in fact always made fun of me for being a fan, then CD came out and rocked them. they love it, still not original gnr fans, not even new-new gnr fans. when GNR came to town in feburary they didnt go because "buckethead wont be there"

they didnt give a fuck about slash. they wanted to see the big B. they know whats up.

slash fans are deluded by their own fandom. they cant accept that not everyone loves and worships slash they way they do. not everyone thinks he is so cool. not everyone likes welcome to the jungle.

Edited by Jackie Moon

Losing most of the founding members of the band did result in smaller sales don't kid yourself Axl.

Axl did not promote the album much when it came out. There should have been a tour to support it when it was launched. Axl should have visited all the top Radio Stations in the country and got them to play it. He should have visited all the talk shows and played the songs. He should have made and released music videos.

Having high quality sounding audio for the stream is important and I don't think it hurt sales. Unless he is just trying to trick people into thinking GNR sounded the same which I think is not right. People buy what they like.

I think Chinese Democracy the song was a good choice but it did not get promoted enough by the band and label. I did not hear it much on the Radio.

Axl should not have got radio stations to quit playing Better when it leaked before the album was released. That was a mistake. He should have let them play it because it was popular and the cat was out of the bag all ready. He then should have rode the wave of popularity and then release the album with Better as the single.

The fact that the many songs were around for almost ten years before the album was released had to hurt sales. People lose faith in a band that can't release an album in a timely fashion. Ten years was way too long. I waited for the album but I am sure others gave up and moved on to other music.

Overall poor promotion by the Band and Label is to blame besides the changing of the style and members of the band. Bad timing on the release of the Album. Don't say it is coming out year after year and not release. Keep your promises.

I agree the Best Buy exclusive deal was bad news. They would have been better off with an exclusive deal with Walmart like AC DC did. But I am not convinced these exclusive deals are good. Maybe instead release it as usual to all outlets.

Edited by rocker rockstar

after streaming:

this is in reply to the many people who said "well if people streamed it and then didnt buy it, they must not have liked it."

True. But the original point was that the streams hurt sales I do not think that they did.

what you said about your friends who didnt like it, its all subjective. i have friends who never liked old gnr, in fact always made fun of me for being a fan, then CD came out and rocked them. they love it, still not original gnr fans, not even new-new gnr fans. when GNR came to town in feburary they didnt go because "buckethead wont be there"

they didnt give a fuck about slash. they wanted to see the big B. they know whats up.

slash fans are deluded by their own fandom. they cant accept that not everyone loves and worships slash they way they do. not everyone thinks he is so cool. not everyone likes welcome to the jungle.

I agree with your friends to some extent in that I think Buckethead was the best thing to happen to nu-GnR.

I also agree 100% that music is subjective. But it seems we have different tastes WTJ is prolly one of my favourite songs of all time.

In some ways I feel left out, I see various forum members go on about how much they love Chi Dem. I have listened to Chi Dem loads and loads of times but apart from about 4 songs I just don't get it. I am dying to hear new GnR music that rocks my world the way the old stuff did.

I am a Slash fan. But equally I am an Axl fan I bought the album and have seen the new band live 3 times. I want to believe again.

I only hope that somewhere along the line the nu band no matter who is in it can produce songs that will appeal to fans of the older material like me.

To give an example I am also a big smashing pumpkins fan. When I heard they were reforming without 2 of the original members (and they are now down to just one) I had the same worries that I had about GnR. But hats off to Billy Corgan he has produced new material that is an evolution but still rocks me. In this case I don;t care about the new mmebers because I still love the music.

Edited by Lines&Noses

FREE WEEZY

You trippin fool. Weezy brings it on his verse on this

He always sounds like he's about to take a nap. No energy, no fire or anger. Not only that, but half of it never makes fucking sense. Space Jam? Smelling gardens? WTF? Dude needs to lay off the drank.

Edited by Nintari

It might have a bit. I think a decent amount of people wanted to buy Chinese Democracy for the 15 years thing about it. I mean, the album was almost mythical.

"So how bout that chinese democracy eh?"

"Haha yeah, that shit hasnt come out and it's been 15 years"

People didn't know the music but alot of people knew the story behind it. I think some of them would have bought the album just to see why it took that long. Having the full album stream let those people not have to buy the album.

Edited by ItsSuchACrimeUKnowItsJAKE

Most of the people i spoke to about it didn't even know it was out, and these were old school Guns fans back in the day. Lack of promotion hurt the most. No music video hurt too. Myspace streams and the single choice were minor details after that...

Most of the people i spoke to about it didn't even know it was out, and these were old school Guns fans back in the day. Lack of promotion hurt the most. No music video hurt too. Myspace streams and the single choice were minor details after that...

I agree. There were so many things that simply weren't done.

after streaming:

True. But the original point was that the streams hurt sales I do not think that they did.

I agree with your friends to some extent in that I think Buckethead was the best thing to happen to nu-GnR.

I also agree 100% that music is subjective. But it seems we have different tastes WTJ is prolly one of my favourite songs of all time.

In some ways I feel left out, I see various forum members go on about how much they love Chi Dem. I have listened to Chi Dem loads and loads of times but apart from about 4 songs I just don't get it. I am dying to hear new GnR music that rocks my world the way the old stuff did.

I am a Slash fan. But equally I am an Axl fan I bought the album and have seen the new band live 3 times. I want to believe again.

I only hope that somewhere along the line the nu band no matter who is in it can produce songs that will appeal to fans of the older material like me.

To give an example I am also a big smashing pumpkins fan. When I heard they were reforming without 2 of the original members (and they are now down to just one) I had the same worries that I had about GnR. But hats off to Billy Corgan he has produced new material that is an evolution but still rocks me. In this case I don;t care about the new mmebers because I still love the music.

you cant please all the people all the time. at least you gave an honest effort.

its just a very complicated situation. for those who love the old band but have no interest in this new band, there is literally nothing for them to support. axl is sketchy at best, the band is barely a band, and the music doesn't interest them. i think that is why BBA is so militant. there is nothing for him in new gnr except the potential for a reunion. axl and bumblefoot are standing in his way.

Totally agree, the largest problem was people I told about the album didn't even realize it was out or had an idea it was out but hadn't been hit with enough promo to break their trance and peak any interest. I still think the leaks were the best promotion this album had. I turned more friends onto current GNR with the Better leak than anything. Something about it being an underground thing that wasn't an official release gave it some extra excitement for them I think. Several of these people did buy the album when it came out and would not have if I had not peaked their interest with the leaks. The streaming stuff.....I don't know. I don't think it really had that much impact either way.