Led Zeppelin Plagiarism (?)

dimitrisaxl

Guest deleted_19765

Yeah, its pretty egregious, but the music is too good not to be forgiven. I will say this, LZ played Blues like Bluesmen, there was nothing novel in the way they stole. Unfortunately, they were going to become bigger than the Blues ever was and the money and play they have achieved cause us to view their copping under different rules.

Actually, the repertoire of someone like Robert Johnson was very similar to Zeppelin's. Both picked up motifs or whole songs from all over and made them their own. I don't think there's any legal excuse for it, because of what apparent pains they took in publishing to obtain credit, but they were following the same wave that had been in motion in Blues, R&B, and R&R.

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah, its pretty egregious, but the music is too good not to be forgiven. I will say this, LZ played Blues like Bluesmen, there was nothing novel in the way they stole. Unfortunately, they were going to become bigger than the Blues ever was and the money and play they have achieved cause us to view their copping under different rules.

Actually, the repertoire of someone like Robert Johnson was very similar to Zeppelin's. Both picked up motifs or whole songs from all over and made them their own. I don't think there's any legal excuse for it, because of what apparent pains they took in publishing to obtain credit, but they were following the same wave that had been in motion in Blues, R&B, and R&R.

You make an interesting point actually, before the money men got involved in music it was sort of free and easy. How far do you go with copyrighting and such, i mean...couldn't Chuck Berry concievably patent the Chuck Berry riff and effectively cripple rock n roll?

Guest deleted_19765

Who cares? The Zep are better than all of these no-name blues musicians anyway. The Goldden God/Robert Plant is the greatest blues singer of all time, which is highly ironic.

Those men are not no-names to many ardent Blues fans. You sound like a Christian damning the Old Testament.

Guest deleted_19765

Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf etc are OK, but compared to Led Zeppelin they are just... :rofl-lol: Any blues fan who isn't racially biased against whites will acknowledge that the Zep are the gods of the blues.

They are different and come from another time. Jimmy Page couldn't do solo what Robert Johnson or Skip James did, Robert Plant wasn't as good of a harmonica player as Little Walter, and as a band they couldn't have done Chicago Blues as well the ones you mentioned. Luckily, we avoided that problem because LZ came at a later date and were compelled to do something else with the Blues, and in the style that they played it they were just about the best. They are only a later chapter in that story, and while that particular chapter may be your favorite to read, it wouldn't be there without the context.

The Blues is really a huge genre, and it would be ridiculous to say that LZ are the gods of it when they cover such a small part of that history. They aren't the gods of Memphis jug band music or West Coast Jump Blues, and believe it or not these are subgenres that are important to some people.

Guest Len B'stard

Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf etc are OK, but compared to Led Zeppelin they are just... :rofl-lol: Any blues fan who isn't racially biased against whites will acknowledge that the Zep are the gods of the blues.

WHAT?!?!?!?! :rofl-lol::rofl-lol: Fuck you :lol: Y'know what, this is obviously a fuckin wind up so i ain't gonna rise to the bait but honestly, seriously, a million Robert Plants and Jimmy Pages ain't worthy of carrying Muddys dick. Led Zeppelin are fuckin REALLY poor...as in fuckin cartoon ice cream truck jingle shit, Led Zeppelin is like...dilute brand juice compared to fuckin freshly squeezed, they are actually THAT fuckin shit.

Led Zeppelin :rofl-lol: This ain't even worth addressing, jesus, it's in the name how good they are, they're a Led Zeppelin and, at least in my case, thats exactly how they go over, like a Lead Zeppelin ;)

Keith Moon named em as a joke and thats what they remain to this day, a joke.

U mad? Zep's I-IV are better than anything any American blues artist has ever put out. Robert Plant is the best blues singer of all time. Waters and Wolf wish they had the vocal range and power that Plant had in his prime.

The Who sucked balls. Zep were and always will be the better band than those talentless pseudo-intellectuals. I can't decide who was the bigger hack, Townshend, Entwistle, Daltrey or Moon.

Edited by Axl Knows

Guest Len B'stard

U mad? Zep's I-IV are better than anything any American blues artist has ever put out. Robert Plant is the best blues singer of all time. Waters and Wolf wish they had the vocal range and power that Plant had in his prime.

The Who sucked balls. Zep were and always will be the better band than those talentless pseudo-intellectuals. I can't decide who was the bigger hack, Townshend, Entwistle, Daltrey or Moon.

How can Zeppelin be better at something they basically made a career out of being a third rate immitation of? :lol: Plant had vocal power? Please, he sounds like a gerbil hanging by its tail over a blender. And The Who absolutely destroy Led Zeppelin, better drummer, more original band, better more rockin' songs...how the fuck was Keith Moon or Roger Daltrey or Entwhistle a psuedo intellectual, are you kidding me?!?! :lol: Keith Moon a pseudo intellectual, i like it :rofl-lol:

Led Zeppelin either are ripping off the fucking blues (and very badly at all, like Guns n Roses after them, they gave it a sort of grand sheen that robbed it of it simplicity and resultant power) or singing about the hobbit, the fucking hobbit?!?!?! :lol: I'm a grown fuckin man, i don't think i could face myself in the mirror every morning if i listened to a band that was basically like the musical version of Lord of the Rings, honestly, i'd reach for the fuckin razors that day.

Edited by sugaraylen

How can Zeppelin be better at something they basically made a career out of being a third rate immitation of? :lol: Plant had vocal power? Please, he sounds like a gerbil hanging by its tail over a blender. And The Who absolutely destroy Led Zeppelin, better drummer, more original band, better more rockin' songs...how the fuck was Keith Moon or Roger Daltrey or Entwhistle a psuedo intellectual, are you kidding me?!?! :lol: Keith Moon a pseudo intellectual, i like it :rofl-lol:

Led Zeppelin either are ripping off the fucking blues (and very badly at all, like Guns n Roses after them, they gave it a sort of grand sheen that robbed it of it simplicity and resultant power) or singing about the hobbit, the fucking hobbit?!?!?! :lol: I'm a grown fuckin man, i don't think i could face myself in the mirror every morning if i listened to a band that was basically like the musical version of Lord of the Rings, honestly, i'd reach for the fuckin razors that day.

You're obviously clueless... Plant was one of the most powerful singers in rock in his prime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4VlKVysXe0...

Actually, you're right. It was Pete the pesudo-intellectual writing garbage material for his thick bandmates to perform... They didn't have the wits to pretend to be pseudo anything, since it was obvious they were fucktards... I can't decide which album is more pretentious, Tommy, Quadrophenia or Who's Next...

Maybe you need to broaden your narrow mind then son...

Edited by Axl Knows

Guest deleted_19765

Maybe you need to broaded your narrow mind then son...

...says the guy who can comfortably place Led Zeppelin above about forty years of recorded musical history.

Len, you are being a jackass too in this thread, and you will love Led Zeppelin one day. Sorry, but I have to tell it like I see it, and I've seen it before with you. I have my qualms about them and have sometimes made those more visible in my posting about them, but they always have a way of ascending in my heart. They are just that good.

But anyway, to Axl Knows, once again. However "racist" we all are, I think most people who know Blues would not agree with you at all. And its people like you who cause those Blues fans to not give LZ a fair shake. You are taking a beautiful musical story and using race and time to divide it all up and take away its meaning. There's really no need. In fact, if you weren't so dumbheaded about Zeppelin making all other Blues obsolete, and listened with new ears to some of what was going on before them, you could only appreciate them more. Obviously if you think their most important influences were "OK" then LZ is already starting a little lower.

You both are to the opposite extremes......

it's like they are both trying to out-bad post each other without knowing a thing they're talking about. <_<

Guest Len B'stard
And Sugar if you have not already seen them I highly recommend the four American Folk Blues Festival DVD's filmed in the 60's in Germany and England featuring Muddy Waters, Sonny Boy Williamson, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, Sippie Wallace... the list goes on...they are amazing

I picked up pirate versions of them from a flea market a coupla years back i think, they're fuckin great :) It was either a dvd that i got with those or one of those where you see a guy playing guitar with his teeth, pre-Hendrix, only other person i've seen who did that although i am aware that Hendrix didn't invent it.

You're obviously clueless... Plant was one of the most powerful singers in rock in his prime:

You think so, i don't. I think he's shit, there's no rule book here, its about what your ears respond to...maybe i don't need clues to call a turd a turd, i just don't like it, i think it's shit.

Actually, you're right. It was Pete the pesudo-intellectual writing garbage material for his thick bandmates to perform... They didn't have the wits to pretend to be pseudo anything, since it was obvious they were fucktards... I can't decide which album is more pretentious, Tommy, Quadrophenia or Who's Next...

OK, great but what the fuck you telling me for? :lol: They're not my fuckin mother dude, what do you think i'm gonna do, get mad that you're cussing them out? I'm not sure what it is i'm supposed to do here...perhaps respond in kind regarding members of Zeppelin? Lemme know and i'll see what i can do for ya ;)

Len, you are being a jackass too in this thread, and you will love Led Zeppelin one day. Sorry, but I have to tell it like I see it, and I've seen it before with you. I have my qualms about them and have sometimes made those more visible in my posting about them, but they always have a way of ascending in my heart. They are just that good.

You're right actually, it does happen that way with me but i've really given LZ a chance, i went out and bought all their albums and for a very brief period i did actually think they were pretty good, i like Heartbreaker, Rock n Roll, Black Dog, Whole Lotta Love, quite a few of their songs but i just think they're very ordinary and i think peoples reverence for them is kind of...well, put it this way, i don't understand it personally.

it's like they are both trying to out-bad post each other without knowing a thing they're talking about.

In regards to what exactly? OK the hobbit/lord of the rings statement was kinda flippant but aside from that, how do you deduce exactly that i don't know what i'm talking about? I know enough about Led Zeppelin to explain what i don't like about them, other than that, what do you expect, that i go out and read books about bands i hate so's i can look like i know EXACTLY what i'm talking about on internet forums? I don't like em, its a done deal, i think their blues shit is third rate, i think The Who are better than them, these are kinda personal choice things dude, if i don't know what i'm talking about in regards to my likes and dislikes, who does, you?

Basically if you don't love Led Zeppelin you don't know what you're talking about, well then throw me into than category and seal the fuckin lid cuz i don't like em, i think they suck, end of.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard
I can understand and respect someones opinion when they say they don't care for an artists music but to say it sucks to me is pretty narrow minded....someone may not like an artists music but that does not mean it sucks.........

You know what i mean though man, its just a straight talking thing, perhaps i should've said i don't care for their work, amounts to the same thing in an approximate way :) Much the same way the person you're responding to said that i don't know A thing i'm talking about...not one thing at all...

Unless he was being literal :rofl-lol:

You both are to the opposite extremes......

it's like they are both trying to out-bad post each other without knowing a thing they're talking about. <_<

I can understand and respect someones opinion when they say they don't care for an artists music but to say it sucks to me is pretty narrow minded....someone may not like an artists music but that does not mean it sucks.........

true, influence and longevity speak for theyself.