Are Today's GNR a Better Live Band?

Axl Knows

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious? The UYI tours were incredible, I've never seen anything close to it before or after. Saw the '06 show in Boston and while I still enjoyed it, not even close.

Come off it, the UYI tour started sucking ass halfway through. The band had like zero chemistry at that point and the tension on stage was palpable. They were going through the motions big time. Today's band look like they actually WANT to be on stage.

Now that Dj does not fuck up anymore, the shows seem more or less flawless from a technical point of view ( not talking about Axl's voice because it varies from song to song ).

As regards the entertainement you get out of them, it probably depends on how much you are willing to let yourself go with the flow, to lose yourself in it.

If you constantly keep telling yourself "THIS ISN'T GNR" then the shows will suck, no matter how good the performances actually are...

I wouldn't even compare it to the AFD lineup.

They don't have the same approach to the songs.

The AFD lineup was a barebones, straight-forward rock n' roll band.

This line-up has more of a progressive/alternative-rock approach to the songs.

It all depends on what you like then. If you want GnR to be a rock n' roll band, then the AFD lineup probably was tons better. If you like the whole huge production, wall of sound, epic concerts thing, then NuGnR delivers.

Two different approaches. NuGnR plays GnR songs with Rob Zombie's visual effects and NIN's production.

I personally love it.

It all depends on what you like then. If you want GnR to be a rock n' roll band, then the AFD lineup probably was tons better. If you like the whole huge production, wall of sound, epic concerts thing, then NuGnR delivers.

Two different approaches. NuGnR plays GnR songs with Rob Zombie's visual effects and NIN's production.

I personally love it.

This

I personally love it.

I agree with your synopsis.

Personally I prefer the older version sadly I only got to see the old band once but I have seen the nu band 3 times once with bucket twice without.

For me the 91 Wembly show with the original band (sans steven) is the best concert I have ever seen. Bear in mind though I prefer the original line up.

It was also one of the first concers I ever saw but it was just sensational!

I also think the Rizt 88 show is the es I have seen from the band full stop although I was not there.

I getta say though that the Hammersmith warm up show in 06 was awesome.

I do like some of what the new band does, I really like the musical introductions they use and you can't help but be impressed by the large screens and stage show in general.

L&N

Edited by Lines&Noses

Two different approaches

Exactly.

Slash is out touring with the old GNR, pre-Illusions vision of the 5 piece, raw play the shit out of the songs band and Axl is out with his vision of GNR in more of an Illusions vain with the much larger stage show with the 3 guitar attack, 2 keyboard/synth guys and all of the stage craft that comes with the production that is a GNR show now.

You can go to one, both, whatever floats your boat.

I will say though it is a little weird when you consider how different the approach is by each respective band towards the same songs (the GNR ones they are both playing).

I like what I hear from the new band live. However, still don't think they have reached the consistency and cohesivness of the old lineup. It will take time, but if they stay together and enjoy working together live, I don't doubt they will attain that achievement.

Hey - I reached 1000 posts. Yay for me!!! rock1

Edited by TrixAreForKids

I like what I hear from the new band live. However, still don't think they have reached the consistency and cohesivness of the old lineup. It will take time, but if they stay together and enjoy working together live, I don't doubt they will attain that achievement.

Hey - I reached 1000 posts. Yay for me!!! rock1

The difference in the past and the now is simply Axl. Axl used to come on stage with an explosive energy, sometimes negative, sometimes positive energy, but none the less, pure energy. They had to pull the faders back when Axl was in his hey day. He was (and I understand there will be some Freddie Mercury, Steven Tyler, and others to argue about) the BEST frontman EVER!! I saw Them in 1989, and 1992, and Axl commanded the stage. I'll give Slash and the band there due, they were great, but everyones attention was always on Axl Rose. The guys voice exploded on your ears often overpowering the guitars, drums and bass. If you have not seen the reaction Axl gets in his duet with Elton John on Bohemiun Rhapsody, you've got to see it, to me thats the Axl Rose I remember seeing in concert. The crowd explodes, and he just nails the entire performance, I forgot Elton was even there. Axl still is incredible, and his voice today is bringing back the memories of the AFD and Illusion era, but its just different. The prescence is drained, to long he has been missing from the music scene, and no longer is reveled by millions. My kids only know who Axl is because of what i've told them. I'd love it if Axl became part of the mainstream again so everyone (especially the youth of today) could see what an incredible artist, vocalist and performer this guy is.

For me the 91 Wembly show with the original band (sans steven) is the best concert I have ever seen. Bear in mind though I prefer the original line up.

Axl's voice was awful in that show.

I have heard some of the bootlegs and he does sound off for much of it, but on the day I was really didn't notice it that much. (Perhaps the fact that I had never heard the illusions songs before meant that I had nothing to benchmark them against)

Or maybe it was the aural equivalent or rose tinted glasses?

That's the thing though I see all these posts about which guitarist made the most screw ups or whatever, but I think the person who was most erratic in their performance was Axl?

Don't get me wrong I love the guy and i don't go to a concert to hear a note perfect rendition of whats on the album but sometimes his vocals can be all over the place.

Two different approaches

Exactly.

Slash is out touring with the old GNR, pre-Illusions vision of the 5 piece, raw play the shit out of the songs band and Axl is out with his vision of GNR in more of an Illusions vain with the much larger stage show with the 3 guitar attack, 2 keyboard/synth guys and all of the stage craft that comes with the production that is a GNR show now.

You can go to one, both, whatever floats your boat.

I will say though it is a little weird when you consider how different the approach is by each respective band towards the same songs (the GNR ones they are both playing).

Great post, actually sums it up pretty good. Funny thing is, i do like both approaches, but from all the youtube vids of the slash shows ive watched, as much as i still like them and love slash, they do should a b it hollow do they not?

I think they are. Much more consistent. The guitar work especially is MUCH better live these days. Slash and Izzy were (and still are) pretty sloppy on stage.

If you asked this question the other way around people would say you were a cupcake.

To me it's like comparing MJ and LeBron. People are so quick to compare and call people the next MJ that they forget how good MJ actually was.

Too me they're better. Members and all that shit is irrelevant to me. I just care about the music and they nail it each and every time.

I do think the old Izzy and Slash had a chemistry that has not been replicated since Izzy left. (I am not convinced they were particularly error prone either?) It has not helped that the guitarists in the nu-band have changed so many times but in time I don;t see why they wont achieve a equally good chemistry of their own.

The one song for me that the nu-Band in any of its incarnations never seem to get right is You Could be Mine. Even with bucket on board this song sounds kinda washed out and one dimensional.

Also Mr Bwonstone was one of the highlights of the set for me, I loved the way slash played it live with the huge extra bend just after the solo. (That said I don't think any of the bands old or new ever got intro right live which is a real shame becuase it's my favourite part!!)

I do like the way the nu-Band opened the shows I saw with "Welcome to the Jungle" and teased out the intro. Also I know a lot of people rave about the nu-band doing nighttrain and while I'm not sure I prefer it to the original I have to say the fact they could take such a song and make it their own says a lot!!