Are Today's GNR a Better Live Band?

Axl Knows

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference in the past and the now is simply Axl. Axl used to come on stage with an explosive energy, sometimes negative, sometimes positive energy, but none the less, pure energy. They had to pull the faders back when Axl was in his hey day. He was (and I understand there will be some Freddie Mercury, Steven Tyler, and others to argue about) the BEST frontman EVER!! I saw Them in 1989, and 1992, and Axl commanded the stage. I'll give Slash and the band there due, they were great, but everyones attention was always on Axl Rose. The guys voice exploded on your ears often overpowering the guitars, drums and bass. If you have not seen the reaction Axl gets in his duet with Elton John on Bohemiun Rhapsody, you've got to see it, to me thats the Axl Rose I remember seeing in concert. The crowd explodes, and he just nails the entire performance, I forgot Elton was even there. Axl still is incredible, and his voice today is bringing back the memories of the AFD and Illusion era, but its just different. The prescence is drained, to long he has been missing from the music scene, and no longer is reveled by millions. My kids only know who Axl is because of what i've told them. I'd love it if Axl became part of the mainstream again so everyone (especially the youth of today) could see what an incredible artist, vocalist and performer this guy is.

Good post! And hey, were you at the FM tribute concert? In that case, you've no idea how jelous I'm of you! :shocked: I watch that DVD almost every week..

So in conclusion, today's GNR ARE a better live band?

Opinions really are an unkown concept to you, aren't they? I've read your threads on this forum recently, all it is is bash, bash, bash. Get off your high horse. Is it so hard for people like you to believe that some people, e.g. me can love both options, be it old GN'R live v. new GN'R live, Slash's album v. CD, or whatever, or is that an impossible concept for your barren, hate filled, bile spewing little mind to appreciate? Starting threads like this promoting discussion are fine, by all means this forum could use some more interesting discussion. However your efforts to antagonise, confront, argue with everyone who has a vaguely different opinion to you is tedious, boring, and frankly laughable. You're like some extreme religious preacher, encouraging death by stoning to all those who dare disagree with you. Go over to HTGTH or something, i'm sure they'd worship you like a king over there. Having an opinion is great, discussing/exchanging opinions are great, and yeah disagreements will arise. But repeated, amateurish put-downs like those you so lovingly adopt are pathetic, childish and unwanted.

Now, i'm taking all bets for what your reply is going to be. I'm personally placing money on yet another brilliantly worded 'your mum' joke. Go nuts :thumbsup:

Edited by seely

NuGnR plays GnR songs with Rob Zombie's visual effects and NIN's production.

Have you been to a NIN show? Especially the last tour (with Robin!) for the full stage production?

There's not many bands that even remotely come close to the production that NIN did on that tour. It was mesmerizing. In fact, the only band that I've seen top that production was Floyd's Division Bell live production. U2's last tour was flashy, but not mesmerizing.

GNR's tour is a good production, but certainly no where near what NIN did. I think the music plays a huge part of that though, too. Some examples (NIN):

And then of course, the Floyd... nothing tops this show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZSWAkJ3h8E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2aOccbfAqE

Watch that last one for, hands down in my book, the greatest stage spectacle of all time. Make sure to watch it all the way through. Once you think it can't get any better, it does.

GNR is average at best when it comes to 'wow' factor with their live productions compared to this stuff.

That Pink Floyd Stage Production was incredible. Crazy that was 16yrs ago and nothing can still top it

So in conclusion, today's GNR ARE a better live band?

Opinions really are an unkown concept to you, aren't they? I've read your threads on this forum recently, all it is is bash, bash, bash. Get off your high horse. Is it so hard for people like you to believe that some people, e.g. me can love both options, be it old GN'R live v. new GN'R live, Slash's album v. CD, or whatever, or is that an impossible concept for your barren, hate filled, bile spewing little mind to appreciate? Starting threads like this promoting discussion are fine, by all means this forum could use some more interesting discussion. However your efforts to antagonise, confront, argue with everyone who has a vaguely different opinion to you is tedious, boring, and frankly laughable. You're like some extreme religious preacher, encouraging death by stoning to all those who dare disagree with you. Go over to HTGTH or something, i'm sure they'd worship you like a king over there. Having an opinion is great, discussing/exchanging opinions are great, and yeah disagreements will arise. But repeated, amateurish put-downs like those you so lovingly adopt are pathetic, childish and unwanted.

Now, i'm taking all bets for what your reply is going to be. I'm personally placing money on yet another brilliantly worded 'your mum' joke. Go nuts :thumbsup:

Lol. I just tell it how I see it. Why are you so incensed by my posts? You don't have to read them. Haters gonna hate, I'm gonna laugh.

Why so much hatred in your posts dude? Don't accuse me of being hateful when you say stuff like "barren, hate filled, bile spewing little mind", or calling someone "pathetic, childish, and unwanted". I'd say that's much more hateful than anything I've said. You just owned yourself hard kid.

I saw them in 91 and it was a better show in 2009. The Perfect Crime intro was awesome in 91, but so was Chinese D. But the whole show in 09 had more swagger whereas in 91 they just seemed to stagger to finish line. But chicks took their tops off while we waited.