Bands That Need to Retire ASAP

Axl Knows

Seriously, just tour around and play the hits. No one wants to hear your new shit. It's all terrible.

same goes for GNR

Nah, NUGNR are first of all a completely different line-up, writing and playing mostly a completely different type of music to what made them famous. They ARE esentially an Axl solo band and alot of people love the new stuff. Completely different from bands like Maiden who release the exact same album over and over again but with diminishing quality.

Not so fast... musically Chinese Democracy is no different than the Use Your Illusions, its just a thicker UYI with way more production. The songs aren't different in style at all, except for maybe shacklers, but shacklers just sucks

The Use Your Illusion albums were pure bluesy, guitar-based hard rock besides some of the songs Axl penned (Breakdown, November Rain, Dead Horse, Estranged). Chinese Democracy has moved almost entirely away from that. It's more of a progressive metal album. Please don't try to tell me that There Was a Time, Street of Dreams, If The World, or Prostitute sound anything like what came out of the UYI sessions (besides the aforementioned Axl songs).

Edited by Axl Knows

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, just tour around and play the hits. No one wants to hear your new shit. It's all terrible.

same goes for GNR

Nah, NUGNR are first of all a completely different line-up, writing and playing mostly a completely different type of music to what made them famous. They ARE esentially an Axl solo band and alot of people love the new stuff. Completely different from bands like Maiden who release the exact same album over and over again but with diminishing quality.

Not so fast... musically Chinese Democracy is no different than the Use Your Illusions, its just a thicker UYI with way more production. The songs aren't different in style at all, except for maybe shacklers, but shacklers just sucks

The Use Your Illusion albums were pure bluesy, guitar-based hard rock besides some of the songs Axl penned (Breakdown, November Rain, Dead Horse, Estranged). Chinese Democracy has moved almost entirely away from that. It's more of a progressive metal album. Please don't try to tell me that There Was a Time, Street of Dreams, If The World, or Prostitute sound anything like what came out of the UYI sessions (besides the aforementioned Axl songs).

Street Of Dreams is as old school as you can get. Very UYI like, only with (better) modern production.

same goes for GNR

Street Of Dreams is as old school as you can get. Very UYI like, only with (better) modern production.

But Better, Prostitue, Riad, CD, Shacklers, and ITW sound very much different.

Chinese Democracy has moved almost entirely away from that. It's more of a progressive metal album. Please don't try to tell me that There Was a Time, Street of Dreams, If The World, or Prostitute sound anything like what came out of the UYI sessions (besides the aforementioned Axl songs).

:rofl-lol:

:thumbsup:

Chinese Democracy has moved almost entirely away from that. It's more of a progressive metal album. Please don't try to tell me that There Was a Time, Street of Dreams, If The World, or Prostitute sound anything like what came out of the UYI sessions (besides the aforementioned Axl songs).

:rofl-lol:

:thumbsup:

Only four songs from the two UYI albums sound anything like what came later on CD. The rest is blues based hard rock. God, It's tiring educating kids like you. :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

same goes for GNR

I hope you're trollin, cause its either that or you don't know what you're talking about at all

You're telling me there's no bluesy hard rock to be found in songs like Catcher in the Rye, Chinese Democracy, Sorry, This I Love, Madagascar, If The World, Rhiad, There Was A Time, Scraped, or Street of Dreams??? You can't just slap a few layers of synth and extra vocals on top of hard rock songs and call it progressive metal... sorry pal, it doesn't work that way. Axl himself wouldn't call Chinese Democracy progressive, he isn't that much of a dumbass. I'll even go as far to say there's more of the blues influence on Chinese Democracy than there was on the Illusions, Slash indulged in a wider array of modes and scales than he has in his entire career with those albums.

The differences in song structure between UYI and Chinese Democracy are VERY minor, and to compare them with something like PROGRESSIVE METAL is a complete joke. You think the songwriting on Chinese Democracy is on the same level as Dream Theatre, Porcupine Tree, or Opeth? GTFO

CD is nothing beyond a solid hard rock album, there's noting wrong with that, just don't go around talking about it like its some new groundbreaking refreshing style that steps in a direction away from what GNR has done in the past , because it doesn't do that at all. In fact, it does a surprisingly good job of replicating the classic GNR sound, with a few added textures of course

Edited by sweetness

The following bands are terrible now and are only in it for the money. They need to retire ASAP and stop embarassing themselves

1. U2... the absolute no.1 media whores of the music world. Completely passionless onstage AND in the studio. Fake humanitarians. No Line on the Horizon was the definition of fail. They jumped the shark with Pop and are just going through the motions now. Bono's voice was always annoying but now he sounds like he struggles to sing at all. Retire, has beens. You're shit now.

2. KISS - Have always been a gimmick. Look at their back catalogue. Some of the worst albums ever put out by any band ever

3. Aerosmith - People only care because the American blues rock scene sucks so much ass

4. Judas Priest - Gay and metal don't mix

5. Iron Maiden - Cliched and boring now. The new single is fail.

6. Radiohead - Always failed at trying to be intellectual and trying to be The Beatles. Thom Yorke sounds like Jeff Buckley. Drowning.

7. Pearl Jam - Inferior to Soundgarden in every way. Had one good album but Vedder's best work was when he sang backup for Chris Cornell on Temple of the Dog

8. Foo Fighters - Feeding off of Kurt's death for years

9. Green Day - Plagiarists, and with the worst lead singer in mainstream rock

10. The Verve - The slightly shitttier version of Oasis. Don't come back again tossers.

Who else?

That's pretty negative. I'd be bored listening to most of them bands if I had to hear them, but I don't have to hear them - some folk that still like them do so whats the issue? A lot of people would say the old codger you seem to love (axl) is well past his prime and just going through the motions, which he is. He still wears a bandana and snakedances for christs sake. GN'R are only slightly more cliched in modern music than motley crue. But I don't get on at you about that do I?

Priest, Maiden and Aerosmith all still kick ass, both live and in studio (though not to keen on Maiden's new single), they're still better than most new bands out there at the minute.

Maiden don't release the same album over and over, try comin up with a more original argument. Saw them live in 2008, absolutely kicked arse,an amazing show, gutted i'm not gonna be going to Sonisphere to see them this year (GN'R at reading and leeds instead). All their recent albums have been brilliant, though i'm not too keen on the 2 songs from the new album that hve been released, i'm sure there'll be plenty of brilliant stuff on there.

Priest: what does the fact Halford is gay got to do with anything? They change with almost every album (guess i'm one of the few people who LIKED Nostradamus), which keeps things fresh, and live they always give a good show. Sadly missed them last year as they cancelled the Nottingham date i was gonna go to at the last minute, and i couldnt get to any of the other shows, but from watching live footage, plus what i've been told frommany friends, they kick major arse

Radiohead? Are you kidding me? There is not a band out there putting out the quality of music that Radiohead is, no one. They are great live too. And for you to compare them to the Beatles shows your lack of understanding of their tunes. What band out there doesn't want to be the Beatles? Compare them to Floyd is you must.

I hope you're trollin, cause its either that or you don't know what you're talking about at all

You're telling me there's no bluesy hard rock to be found in songs like Catcher in the Rye, Chinese Democracy, Sorry, This I Love, Madagascar, If The World, Rhiad, There Was A Time, Scraped, or Street of Dreams??? You can't just slap a few layers of synth and extra vocals on top of hard rock songs and call it progressive metal... sorry pal, it doesn't work that way. Axl himself wouldn't call Chinese Democracy progressive, he isn't that much of a dumbass. I'll even go as far to say there's more of the blues influence on Chinese Democracy than there was on the Illusions, Slash indulged in a wider array of modes and scales than he has in his entire career with those albums.

The differences in song structure between UYI and Chinese Democracy are VERY minor, and to compare them with something like PROGRESSIVE METAL is a complete joke. You think the songwriting on Chinese Democracy is on the same level as Dream Theatre, Porcupine Tree, or Opeth? GTFO

CD is nothing beyond a solid hard rock album, there's noting wrong with that, just don't go around talking about it like its some new groundbreaking refreshing style that steps in a direction away from what GNR has done in the past , because it doesn't do that at all. In fact, it does a surprisingly good job of replicating the classic GNR sound, with a few added textures of course

Basically ALL hard rock has blues influence but Chinese Democracy much less so than Guns N' Roses previous catalogue. All of the songs you listed have blues elements but none of them have a predominantly traditional hard rock sound as the Illusions did. CD has songs that mashup industrial, groove, funk, progressive, grunge, and even numetal type sounds. Furthermore, Axl's vocals have become less bluesy has time has progressed. He's much more melismatic now.

I think you need to listen to the Illusions again. There are about 6 or so songs I'd classify as moving away from trad.hard rock and most of those were written by Axl... the only Slash tracks that stand out are Coma and Locomotive IMO.

The song arrangements are not similar to progressive metal but the instrumentation is. Obviously there isn't much in the way of time signature, key or tempo changes. Axl's songwriting style is much more simple structurally, there's no doubt about that. But again, there is certainly a progressive influence in there.

Radiohead? Are you kidding me? There is not a band out there putting out the quality of music that Radiohead is, no one. They are great live too. And for you to compare them to the Beatles shows your lack of understanding of their tunes. What band out there doesn't want to be the Beatles? Compare them to Floyd is you must.

NONONONONONONO

No fucking way. Floyd is like...a deity mang

NONONONONONONO

No fucking way. Floyd is like...a deity mang

I didn't say they were better than Floyd just a more accurate comparison. Definately more so than a Beatles comparison.

Obviously there isn't much in the way of time signature, key or tempo changes. Axl's songwriting style is much more simple structurally, there's no doubt about that. But again, there is certainly a progressive influence in there.

Oh there certainly is? well, where is it? Because if Chinese Democracy is progressive rock, its the most boring uninspired progressive rock I've ever heard

There's just no reason to call it that, so why even? Its just rock man, the same old kinda stuff that Axl put out with his old band but with a little more studio flare, how can you possibly call it anything else? Or even suggest the blues influence is so significantly removed... when it isn't. Everything you say is just so exaggerated

Obviously there isn't much in the way of time signature, key or tempo changes. Axl's songwriting style is much more simple structurally, there's no doubt about that. But again, there is certainly a progressive influence in there.

Oh there certainly is? well, where is it? Because if Chinese Democracy is progressive rock, its the most boring uninspired progressive rock I've ever heard

There's just no reason to call it that, so why even? Its just rock man, the same old kinda stuff that Axl put out with his old band but with a little more studio flare, how can you possibly call it anything else? Or even suggest the blues influence is so significantly removed... when it isn't. Everything you say is just so exaggerated

Nah, Chinese D is the opposite of boring or uninspired. It's alot more appealing than most pretentious prog. rock. Certainly better songwriting than something like e.g. Dream Theater.

Are you denying that the Blues influence on CD has been reduced? Are you denying that there are more industrial, groove, funk, and numetal elements? Are you denying that the album is overall less riff-based than AFD or the UYI's?

Nah, Chinese D is the opposite of boring or uninspired. It's alot more appealing than most pretentious prog. rock. Certainly better songwriting than something like e.g. Dream Theater.

Are you denying that the Blues influence on CD has been reduced? Are you denying that there are more industrial, groove, funk, and numetal elements? Are you denying that the album is overall less riff-based than AFD or the UYI's?

If you're seriously going to call CD progressive rock, then yes, under that label I'd say it sounds VERY boring and uninspired. King Crimson we're releasing albums lightyears ahead of Chinese Democracy in the 60's and 70's. Why do you insist on putting Chinese Democracy in the same category?

I'm not denying anything, you are. The blues influence hasn't been reduced at all, its just had a ton of shit pilled on top of it, oh how "progressive" that is :rofl-lol: