Bands better live than in the studio?

Vincent Vega

Coldplay

Dude, I have seen these guys live and they sound exactly like they do in the studio. They add almost nothing to the studio version's. They are a very entertaining live band and there songs are great, but still.

I would have to say Pink Floyd. Almost all of there songs are better live.

Edited by coolio GNR

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Depends.

A lot of their songs, mainly the ballads fit their live style with extended jams, but they aren't too good at performing their fast, energetic rockers, like those from Shake Your Money Maker and By Your Side.

I had no complaints, although they're not really a fast rocker band, if they do one or two that's cool, but it's by no means the bulk of their sound.

Aerosmith

Foo Fighters

Papa Roach

Buckcherry

KISS

Paul McCartney

Queen

GNR

This could vary depending on time periods in each of the bands histories.

I agree with most of those but disagree on Queen. Freddie's voice was terrible live. He skipped all of the high notes.

Do you really HAVE to be an annoying little cupcake in every single post or thread that you make?

It's horribly childish, just give it up.

It tastes good, don't it? It tastes good..... AND YOU KNOW IT!

It's just a fact mate. I've listened to most good quality Queen bootlegs, basically every single concert on http://www.youtube.com/user/Gregsynthbootlegs. It's nothing to get annoyed about, you know what I'm saying? Freddie just wasn't that good live. To his credit, I guess it's probably hard to sing when you've had a dick in your mouth all day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Queen fan. But Mercury was nothing special live IMO. You need to listen to some concerts and then get back to me instead of just regurgitating what other people say.

Freddie just wasn't that good live. To his credit, I guess it's probably hard to sing when you've had a dick in your mouth all day.

Knock this shit off.

He's got a point. Freddie did suck live. Sure he was energetic, but he couldn't hit the big notes.

Exactly.

He's got a point. Freddie did suck live. Sure he was energetic, but he couldn't hit the big notes.

oh there's a continent of difference between sucking live and not hitting the big notes. Freddie did not suck live.

Well maybe I was being a little harsh by saying he "sucked", but he wasn't as great as people like to say.

Yeah, except it really wasn't that funny. Like I said in my PM, I've been trying to give you lots of chances and even let you have back your posting rights when you promised you'd stop, but you seem to be going out of your way to rack up these abuse reports within the past few days. Personally, dumb jokes don't offend me and are easy enough to ignore, but they are against the forum rules, and they do bother some people (evidenced by all the reports), so if you don't like it, go somewhere where there isn't any moderation. :)

Muse

Specifically the stuff on The Resistance. Uprising, United States Of Eurasia and Unnatural Selection got the crowd going more than some of the stuff from OOS. Amazing live band.

Jet

I'm not a fan of these guys but I saw them at the Big Day Out and was pleasantly surprised at how good they were. Great energy and the crowd got really into it.

Aerosmith

Foo Fighters

Papa Roach

Buckcherry

KISS

Paul McCartney

Queen

GNR

This could vary depending on time periods in each of the bands histories.

I agree with most of those but disagree on Queen. Freddie's voice was terrible live. He skipped all of the high notes.

Do you really HAVE to be an annoying little cupcake in every single post or thread that you make?

It's horribly childish, just give it up.

It tastes good, don't it? It tastes good..... AND YOU KNOW IT!

It's just a fact mate. I've listened to most good quality Queen bootlegs, basically every single concert on http://www.youtube.com/user/Gregsynthbootlegs. It's nothing to get annoyed about, you know what I'm saying? Freddie just wasn't that good live. To his credit, I guess it's probably hard to sing when you've had a dick in your mouth all day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Queen fan. But Mercury was nothing special live IMO. You need to listen to some concerts and then get back to me instead of just regurgitating what other people say.

Did you read my post?

Freddie not hitting the high notes live is in my opinion what made him such a GREAT live singer. Instead of trying to hit notes that he couldn't hit in a live setting, he sang it differently than the studio. That to me is a great sign of professionalism. Instead of risking botching the song by having a cracking voice, he just sang it in a comfortable range. Take a listen to the vocal takes of the studio version of Bohemian on YouTube. He does many takes to try to nail the high "die" in the heavy part, and even cracks completely. In a song like We Are The Champions, the last song of the night, he would naturally be tired from the whole night of moving around and singing, so what did he do? Let Roger Taylor take the high notes, who has a very impressive vocal range, and Freddie took the low.

Besides, Freddie's live vocals were full of passion. Take Bohemian again for example. On the album, he sings much of the verses in falsetto. Live, he just belted them out with pure energy and emotion. I suppose the Live At Wembley concert is the easiest to find, but this shows a good example of that.

He sang DIFFERENT live, but in no way did he suck. His voice still sounded perfectly fine. Now, if he was consistently singing off-key or had a terrible voice, then that would be another story.

Look, all I know is that since I've heard Live at Wembley, it's impossible to listen to studio versions of Hammer To Fall, Tear It Up, Under Pressure, We Will Rock You and Tie Your Mother Down. They did the hard rockers much better live than in the studio.