Bands better live than in the studio?

Vincent Vega

Cornell more versatile? :rofl-lol:

You'd have to look hard to find a more versatile rock band than Queen. Freddie sang rock, blues, trash metal, vaudeville, music hall, jazz, disco...

Some examples-

Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon -

Gimme The Prize-

How Can I Go On-

Pain Is So Close To Pleasure -

Mother Love (last song Freddie sang before his death) -

I've already heard the entire Queen catalogue mate. Including the outtakes from the Barcelona sessions like How Can I Go On (which is his best performance) And sorry, yeah, Cornell's more versatile: These are better than anything Freddie ever did.

Call Me a Dog:

When I'm Down:

Beyond the Wheel:

Preaching the End of the World:

Four Walled World:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More on live bands, another thing that made Queen a mediocre live band was the fact that Brian wasn't that good at improvisation. He was great at writing for guitar, but his improv sucked ass and he often played the solo's exactly as they are on the records.

If you make a song in the studio that you can't perform almost the exact way life then don't make it, you're a fake.

Then what's the point in live performances if you just hear the exact same thing as on the album?

Thank you! It's DIFFERENT, which is why it's good. If they sounded exactly the same, why would I go see them? They make it unique live.

Also, how can one say Freddie COULD NOT hit the notes live? He did it in the studio, he probably could do it live too. But who knows? Maybe he'd end up just standing there like Celine Dion or something. He obviously had a strength as a performer, so he naturally took advantage of that. With all his moving around and constant sweating, he wouldn't have the proper breath to hit the high notes as clearly. So again, instead of risking making the performance sound like shit, he sang it differently. No big deal, better than hearing a cracking Freddie Mercury. That was smart of him and very professional. He wasn't cocky about those highs and didn't want to go out there to prove his abilities to hit them. He was more focused on giving his all in a great performance.

Look at Paul Stanley from KISS. As a huge KISS fan, I can still say Paul often in the 80s especially tried to hit notes that were just out of his range. He needed to accept defeat and just return to singing the songs in his comfortable range, which is what he did. Freddie accept defeat from the beginning, which again, was very professional.

Also, posting random videos and saying the songs always sounded like that doesn't make sense. I could easily post a bunch of Guns N' Roses videos where Axl sounds like shit or Slash fucked up big time and say that they sucked live. Is that the truth though? Of course not. Every band has their off days. We can look at a Guns performance like Paris or the Ritz and say yes, they really were a great live band. Just the same as we can look at a great Queen performance, like Wembley or Montreal or even Live Aid, and say yes, they were awesome live.

Edit: Making Hot Pockets because you can't cook a nice Steak dinner doesn't make the Hot Pockets taste better than the steak dinner.

"fuck man, what he just said was so awesome i cant even take it. ill just ignore it in my response to him."

Yeah, people like to dodge around the "why did Freddie suck donkey nuts live" issue. They just come out with stuff like like, "he had vocal nodules". Guess what: Axl had a severely damaged voice during the UYI tour and he didn't half ass the songs like Freddie did. Freddie was just outright lazy as a live singer.

Great in the studio. Crap live.

Edited by Axl Knows

The Specials, probably because the productions outdated but their tight live, always into them.

The Flaming Lips make such an uplifting spectacle with their set up and big jams.

Crystal Castles are intense. Saw them in a small venue and it was bouncing.

Oh - and Babyshambles. Their class in the studio but live it's like seeing a fucking 50s legend or something, Dohertys just got a vibe about him. Witty fucker as well. Last time I saw them I almost got away with his mike stand which he passed into the crowd.

Edited by Snake Eyes

Yeah, people like to dodge around the "why did Freddie suck donkey nuts live" issue. They just come out with stuff like like, "he had vocal nodules". Guess what: Axl had a severely damaged voice during the UYI tour and he didn't half ass the songs like Freddie did. Freddie was just outright lazy as a live singer.

It just blows my mind how you can say he sucked "donkey nuts live" when he's done countless of amazing performances. And I am a huge fan of Axl, but he sounded like crap for most part of the UYI tour.

And Brian May, sucked at improv? Sure he often plays the solos as they are, but that's what you do for the iconic solos (like BoRhap). Slash played the Don't Cry and November Rain solos practically note for note every night but I don't hear you complaining. Solos isn't all about improv, some are compositions within the song and should be left as such.

It just blows my mind how you can say he sucked "donkey nuts live" when he's done countless of amazing performances. And I am a huge fan of Axl, but he sounded like crap for most part of the UYI tour.

And Brian May, sucked at improv? Sure he often plays the solos as they are, but that's what you do for the iconic solos (like BoRhap). Slash played the Don't Cry and November Rain solos practically note for note every night but I don't hear you complaining. Solos isn't all about improv, some are compositions within the song and should be left as such.

I say he sucked donkey nuts because he sounded great for ONE tour (Hot Space). He was downright horrible until 1979, OK for The Game tour, fantastic for Hot Space, crap on The Works tour, and only decent for the Magic tour. Also, Axl outright blew his voice out on the UYI tour, something Freddie never did. Not surprising considering how much more demanding singing GNR songs is and how much more abusive Axl's vocal style is.

Yes, but improv is an important aspect of live playing. I'm not knocking either Slash or Brian as guitarists, but it would have been better if they'd have deviated more often IMO.

Edited by Axl Knows

It's a rock concert, not opera. There are more important things than how high your voice goes. It's about the energy you give out, the show you put on, the connection with the audience. But what the hell do you know. Your sole purpose here is to annoy. If that's what makes you feel good, than you're a really pathetic person.

It's a rock concert, not opera. There are more important things than how high your voice goes. It's about the energy you give out, the show you put on, the connection with the audience. But what the hell do you know. Your sole purpose here is to annoy. If that's what makes you feel good, than you're a really pathetic person.

Freddie was a PERFORMER. There is a reason he is constantly number 1 or in the top 5 when it comes to "Best frontmen"-lists. And Queen's act at Live Aid was voted best live performance of all time by 500 music journalists. Hmm hmm.

I have never heard anyone call Queen a mediocre live act, apart from Axl Knows, hence my confusion.

STP

Despite the fact that they're one of my absolute favorite bands, I don't particularly agree. I really think they lost a lot of their magic live after the Purple tour. It just never sounded as inspired or as intense after that point. Not to say I don't still enjoy going to see them, but they were really only amazing for those first few years. I will say, the video of Dead And Bloated on the Thank You DVD is probably one of the most electric performances I've ever seen.