Azoff Throws A Copy of the WSJ at Axl's Lawyer

kyrie

http://www.presstelegram.com/breakingnews/ci_15587089

Guns N' Roses' Axl Rose lawsuit gets off to a touchy start

From wire service reports

Posted: 07/23/2010 01:19:53 PM PDT

Dueling lawsuits involving Guns N' Roses front man Axl Rose and his former manager began on a sour note, so a judge said today she may appoint a third party help them strike a more pleasant chord.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Rita Miller blamed attorneys for Rose and Irving Azoff for problems during a recent deposition that Azoff's attorneys suspended before it was over.

Rose's lawyer, Sasha Frid, said the questions he asked got Azoff so upset that the manager threw a copy of the Wall Street Journal at the attorney.

Azoff's counsel, Steve Rothschild, said he was present at the deposition and denies that happened.

"It sounds like you guys are going to be in a knockdown, dragged out war," Miller said. "If both sides take extreme positions, it ends up costing both sides a ton of money."

Miller said she will wait and see if the lawyers can resolve their differences before she appoints a referee, a move supported by Azoff's legal team, but opposed by Rose's lawyers as too costly.

"You guys can try and fix this thing before it becomes a nightmare for all concerned," Miller said.

Azoff sued Rose March 25, claiming the musician owes his company, Front Line Management, more than $1.8 million and broke a verbal agreement to pay the company a 15 percent commission for performances by the band in Taipei, Seoul, Japan, Canada and South America.

Axl countersued May 17, claiming the manager tried to force him to reunite with the original Guns N' Roses band members and failed to properly promote the band's "Chinese Democracy" CD. The suit also claims Azoff lied about a prospective Van Halen super tour and mishandled the band's tour dates.

The countersuit refers to the U.S. Justice Department's recent antitrust lawsuit that sought to stop Ticketmaster and Live Nation from merging over concerns the new entity would have too much control over artists and venues. Afterwards, Ticketmaster entered into a consent decree with government regulators that allowed the merger to go forward under certain operating provisions.

Rothschild said Azoff's deposition was suspended after Frid began asking the manager questions about his role as chairman of Ticketmaster and Live Nation after the 2008 merger of the companies and Ticketmaster's acquisition of a majority share of Front Line.

Rothschild said the questions were not relevant, were designed to harass his client and that the final straw was when Frid gave a copy of the Wall Street Journal to Azoff and asked him about his stature in the music industry.

But Frid said the inquiries were an attempt to probe whether Azoff has any conflicts of interest in promoting tours while also managing artists.

Miller set trial for April 26.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller said she will wait and see if the lawyers can resolve their differences before she appoints a referee, a move supported by Azoff's legal team, but opposed by Rose's lawyers as too costly.

I hope if Axl is planning to goto war with Azoff he is in no way worried about finances, because that guy has all the resources in the world available to him and would love to bleed Axl dry with an endless sea of billable hours fighting this case tooth and nail.

I do not think money is an issue on either side, I think for Axl though this means more than a dollar amount. With this suit Axl is showing that he won't bend on his terms and that that is more important than money

Just to play devil's advocate... If the roles were reversed and Axl had "allegedly" thrown a paper at someone, and his lawyer denied it had happened, people would be saying how the press loves to demonize and lie about Axl. But the same thing happens to Azoff and nobody seems to mind it; in fact, you're mocking him.

Not saying it didn't happen...just saying you shouldn't rush to conclusions based on second-hand reporting.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Just to play devil's advocate... If the roles were reversed and Axl had "allegedly" thrown a paper at someone, and his lawyer denied it had happened, people would be saying how the press loves to demonize and lie about Axl. But the same thing happens to Azoff and nobody seems to mind it; in fact, you're mocking him.

Not saying it didn't happen...just saying you shouldn't rush to conclusions based on second-hand reporting.

Really this is the thread you post in?

WIth all the racist and homophobic rhetoric that has been posted on this board lately...and you as a mod are posting here?.........I love you as a poster, but seriously?

Where's Madison.

WIth all the racist and homophobic rhetoric that has been posted on this board lately...and you as a mod are posting here?.........I love you as a poster, but seriously?

Where's Madison.

Unfortunately I only have control over a couple subforums, and there's not necessarily much I can do beyond locking/moving. I'm only a Level 1 mod.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Azoff's 5 foot 2.

What's next, a GNR cover of "Short People"?

Rothschild said the questions were not relevant, were designed to harass his client and that the final straw was when Frid gave a copy of the Wall Street Journal to Azoff and asked him about his stature in the music industry.

I do not think money is an issue on either side, I think for Axl though this means more than a dollar amount. With this suit Axl is showing that he won't bend on his terms and that that is more important than money

I'm guessing he means the part in the article where Axl's lawyers are concerned about expenses.

That isn't actually surprising. The costs of that third party might be tacked on to the final bill, and I'm guessing the losing party might be asked to bear the burden of those costs. Since they'd be in the millions - more than the initial Azoff lawsuit is even worth - it would be a bit silly. Not only that - Azoff needs to act like a fucking grown up, period. People give Axl shit but you've never seen him pull that kind of crap in a courtroom setting.

Guest gunns5

Where's Madison.

anyone else sick of this idiot constantly saying 'this isnt politicaly correct, boohoo, Axl called madison a lesbian, boohoo, People are making jokes about gays, boohoo, the world will end in 2 years, boohoo, the interwebz is my whole life boohoo

Get the fuck over it, now your telling the moderators here , how to do their job? while your at it, why dont you just ask the admin to whipe your ass for you?

fucking princess, grow the fuck up or log the fuck out.

Edited by gunns5

Where's Madison.

Gone, thankfully.

I've seen the carnage she wrought over at chinesedemocracy.com, a forum I like, as soon as she was banned here. Went right back to posting a lot of negative garbage and unfounded B.S. in the guise of intelligent discussion. I'll give it to her though - she makes one heck of a cupcake.

As for Azoff... this is the same Azoff who, upon hearing that Axl was upset about Azoff not using his legal name, immediately went on twitter and posted comments using Axl's birth name, just to antagonize him.

Thus, I fully suspect this is legit. Azoff is another Conrad Black, another Bernie Madoff, and one of these days you're going to see him behind bars. I don't even care about the GN'R connection, but the TicketMaster/LiveNation deal stinks. Although, with the horrid concert season this summer has turned out to be, at least they're eating some humble pie.

Edited by kyrie

Where's Madison.

Gone, thankfully.

I've seen the carnage she wrought over at chinesedemocracy.com, a forum I like, as soon as she was banned here. Went right back to posting a lot of negative garbage and unfounded B.S. in the guise of intelligent discussion. I'll give it to her though - she makes one heck of a cupcake.

As for Azoff... this is the same Azoff who, upon hearing that Axl was upset about Azoff not using his legal name, immediately went on twitter and posted comments using Axl's birth name, just to antagonize him.

Thus, I fully suspect this is legit. Azoff is another Conrad Black, another Bernie Madoff, and one of these days you're going to see him behind bars. I don't even care about the GN'R connection, but the TicketMaster/LiveNation deal stinks. Although, with the horrid concert season this summer has turned out to be, at least they're eating some humble pie.

Azoff f-ed up with Springsteen. Enough to get the Department of Justice's antitrust division because a Springsteen fan happened to also be a member of Congress, tried to order tickets, and was sent to a third party ticket broker, which of course, belonged to Azoff. And of course, Bruce (and Bon Jovi) have been buddy buddy with governors and presidents (Jon raised big bucks for Kerry and Obama, Bruce and Billy Joel played a fundraiser event for the Obama election), let alone senators.

http://idolator.com/5146150/ticketmaster-dares-to-get-between-a-new-jersey-congressman-and-his-springsteen-tickets

Where's Madison.

anyone else sick of this idiot constantly saying 'this isnt politicaly correct, boohoo, Axl called madison a lesbian, boohoo, People are making jokes about gays, boohoo, the world will end in 2 years, boohoo, the interwebz is my whole life boohoo

Get the fuck over it, now your telling the moderators here , how to do their job? while your at it, why dont you just ask the admin to whipe your ass for you?

its because hes black. that and the fact that he still hasn't gotten over one and a million.

What a fucking waste. :rolleyes:

Yet again, precious years wasted in the toils of the courtroom. What was the time line on Axl's counter-sue? A little convenient you get upset about wrongdoings and shortcomings of your band's promotion when your bank account is threatened, never mind obligations to the fans.

What a fucking waste. :rolleyes:

Yet again, precious years wasted in the toils of the courtroom. What was the time line on Axl's counter-sue? A little convenient you get upset about wrongdoings and shortcomings of your band's promotion when your bank account is threatened, never mind obligations to the fans.

The guy just got done touring and will be touring again shortly. If he enjoys battles in the court room during his free time, who are we to stop him? :P

Where's Madison.

Thank you. I too am sick of her self-righteous bullshit. I'm still hoping she gets banned one of these days.

Guest gunns5

Where's Madison.

Thank you. I too am sick of her self-righteous bullshit. I'm still hoping she gets banned one of these days.

ohh its a 'she ' is it, No wonder why shes taken offence to Axls 'butch lesbian comment' hahahahaha

Where's Madison.

If you two twits, are annoyed with what I post, put me on ignore.

Edited by SunnyDRE