Some Live Era Stuff 01'-10'

Anthony S.

Guest gunns5

I thought robin was the worst guitarist in gnr... He was good in the studio but soooo choppy live..

I agree, he was sloppy. He's a much more interesting musician than Ashba though IMO. Not only his guitar tone & playing are more interesting, he can play keyboards and sings well too

Sossego?

I thought robin was the worst guitarist in gnr... He was good in the studio but soooo choppy live..

I agree, he was sloppy. He's a much more interesting musician than Ashba though IMO. Not only his guitar tone & playing are more interesting, he can play keyboards and sings well too

Sossego?

Well, not technically well, but he's a great screamer kinda guy. Hit and miss, like his guitar playing. IMO he fit with Axl.

Check out his backing vocals during the chorus in Nightrain at RIR 2001:

Also, this vid, around 1:40 mark:

His voice definitely has its uses

Edited by Jyrgen

I thought he rocked. The New Jeresy solo spot and the Inland Invasion solo are a couple of highlights for me, and the way he played in general was exciting and original.

I love Robin's style and imo he played with a ton of charisma while his tone was sharp and deadly.

Edited by Rovim

but he never played the songs right.

You know, I can understand that. I agree that certain guitar parts should be played in the way they were written, and I think Ashba does a great job in that sense. Personally I prefer a guitar player that takes risks and plays outside of the box and integrates with confidence his own original style like Robin did in Patience, SCOM and November Rain.

You can hear the limitations of an old school player like Ashba when he's playing the new stuff, but he obviously does justice to the old material and is not as sloppy and free as Robin, even if sometimes he doesn't sound so original while doing so.

If your definition to play the songs 'right' is to never or almost never fuck up while playing the material as close as possible to how they were written, than yes, Robin never played the songs right. I, for one, think he played them just like he heard it in his head and I liked what I was hearing.

Edited by Rovim

Finck SCOM is a terrible selling point for Robin

Agreed.

But, I know we all remember OVER 4 YEARS AGO (Crazy that it's been that long) when we got the first boots and reviews from the May 14th show? When nearly everybody fell in love with Robin's guitar? He's so hit and miss that when it was bad (2002) nobody wanted him in the band, but when it was good - it was great. Once he dropped the NIN look, I feel like he felt more comfortable on stage and was able to connect with the fans better because they could connect with him.