Do you think Axl is still the best frontman around?

ITW 2012

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. He does it for me. When he's on stage, it's hard to watch anything else. He's the reason I noticed GnR in the first place. He brings that attitude that you had better look at me, deal with me, cause I'm in your face until I leave this stage.

It doesn't matter if people think he's an egomaniac and total asshole. It all feeds into making him such an amazing frontman. Maybe those ingredients are even necessary?

On his day, but you have to also understand that sometimes he is clearly going through the motions and it takes a while for his voice to find his feet. I mean, back in the day I think his performances were incredible regardless of his vocals because there was so much power and energy, but these days a patchy vocal can sound alot more noticably weak. Admittedly this is few and far between where it actually detracts from the performance noticably in the venue and youtube is a bit of a bastard for those kind of things. Axl was untouchable back in the day and there were alot more classic frontmen present back then, now as you say, it is somewhat of a dying art so he definitely stands out.

On a similar note, could anyone post some videos from this tour where Axl is totally on fire? Top notch vocals, showmanship etc. I am sure there are plenty I just want to show some mates how good he can still be.

I honestly think his best days are behind him, but that happens to most rock frontmen. I think it hits Axl harder than some like Jagger, though, because he was such a raw and energetic performer - from the way he sang to the way he flung himself around stage. So the wear and tear is more noticeable than it might be for comparable musicians who weren't as physical on stage.

On his day, but you have to also understand that sometimes he is clearly going through the motions and it takes a while for his voice to find his feet. I mean, back in the day I think his performances were incredible regardless of his vocals because there was so much power and energy, but these days a patchy vocal can sound alot more noticably weak. Admittedly this is few and far between where it actually detracts from the performance noticably in the venue and youtube is a bit of a bastard for those kind of things. Axl was untouchable back in the day and there were alot more classic frontmen present back then, now as you say, it is somewhat of a dying art so he definitely stands out.

On a similar note, could anyone post some videos from this tour where Axl is totally on fire? Top notch vocals, showmanship etc. I am sure there are plenty I just want to show some mates how good he can still be.

(Defo gets better throughout, listen to BBF solo!)

Just a few ;)

I honestly think his best days are behind him, but that happens to most rock frontmen.

Age does happen to anyone for sure.

I do think if he was willing to work a little harder as far as his physical conditioning goes that the drop-off would be far more gradual. I think people would be amazed at the wonders a little time on the treadmill would do Axl if he would commit to getting his ass in shape. He makes his money singing, and improving his cardio and conditioning would make him sound world's better and allow him to put on a better show without getting winded and needing a break every 2 seconds because he is gassed.

I prefer Mike Patton...Never gave a bad performance ( or I've never heard one ), always looked cool, and his batshit craziness can rival Axl's.

But yeah, Axl has more charisma and a more distinctive voice.

Yeah, I'll go with Patton. Or Richard D. James. over Axl. any day.

Patton and D. James have remained contemporary, fresh, and challenge themselves musically.

Axl is just an insane retro act in 2010, sadly.

still think he has a kick ass, fuck you slash, album in him, though. :thumbsup:

Not anymore, but he's got a whole new generation of younger more energetic frontmen to compete with

Back in the late 80's, early 90's, he was king

He does? Could you name even one guy from the 00's that can compete with (old) Axl?

In the early part of the 2000's: Fred Durst.

Not anymore, but he's got a whole new generation of younger more energetic frontmen to compete with

He does? Could you name even one guy from the 00's that can compete with (old) Axl?

He was specifically referring to the current Axl, not "old Axl." So asking him to come up with names for people better than Axl in his prime when he just said that Axl in the '80s and '90s "was king" is a bit pointless.

I prefer Mike Patton...Never gave a bad performance ( or I've never heard one ), always looked cool, and his batshit craziness can rival Axl's.

But yeah, Axl has more charisma and a more distinctive voice.

Yes it's true. Mike is the best example that age is not a problem. He is 45 years old and still very sexy and good looking.

but hmm, well, for me Axl didn't had any rivals. He was, is and always will be the best ever. :wub:

He was specifically referring to the current Axl, not "old Axl." So asking him to come up with names for people better than Axl in his prime when he just said that Axl in the '80s and '90s "was king" is a bit pointless.

thank you

but I will answer the question, well the version of the question that would make sense "who is a better frontman than Axl today?"

Jacob Bannon - Converge

Josh Homme - Queens of the Stone Age / Them Crooked Vultures

Tom Gabel - Against Me!

Greg Puciato - Dillinger Escape Plan

Adam Senko - The Armed

Cedric Bixler Zavala - The Mars Volta

Mike Patton - Faith No More / a ton of other shit

Thomas Erak - The Fall of Troy

Frank Carter - Gallows

Keith Buckley - Every Time I Die

Maynard James Keenan - Tool / A Perfect Circle

Claudio Sanchez - Coheed & Cambria

to name a few in my opinion

none of which who could really hold a candle to Axl in the late 80's or early 90's

Edited by sweetness

Jacob Bannon - Converge

Tom Gabel - Against Me!

Adam Senko - The Armed

Frank Carter - Gallows

none of which who could really hold a candle to Axl in the late 80's or early 90's

Umm.None could hold a candle to Axl in the 80's or 90's??

I'd say that would still apply today, in 2010.These guys mentioned above wish they had half of Axl's vocal abilities.You also have to take into consideration actual songwriting talent.Again, Axl proved with Chinese Democracy he's still got it.And I have all the confidence in the world Ashba was right when he said Axl's got alot of stuff up his sleeve;Things nobody has heard.Not yet.

Jacob Bannon - Converge

Tom Gabel - Against Me!

Adam Senko - The Armed

Frank Carter - Gallows

I'd say that would still apply today, in 2010.

I wouldn't

These guys mentioned above wish they had half of Axl's vocal abilities.

I'll give you this. Axl does have a great voice.

You also have to take into consideration actual songwriting talent.Again, Axl proved with Chinese Democracy he's still got it..

Azoff disagrees.

I'd say that would still apply today, in 2010.These guys mentioned above wish they had half of Axl's vocal abilities.You also have to take into consideration actual songwriting talent.Again, Axl proved with Chinese Democracy he's still got it.And I have all the confidence in the world Ashba was right when he said Axl's got alot of stuff up his sleeve;Things nobody has heard.Not yet.

These guys mentioned above aren't panting between phrases and using the same predictable hand motions throughout their entire setlist. I'm sorry, I love Axl Rose, but he is certainly not the fierce commanding frontman he once was, and that's fine. He's what, 46 years old now? Personally I don't care if he isn't as intense live as he use to be, with age that should be expected. But you better believe that there's guys out there putting on a more energetic show, its just reality

Songwriting... now thats a whole other discussion