Do you think Axl is still the best frontman around?

ITW 2012

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not anymore, but he's got a whole new generation of younger more energetic frontmen to compete with

Back in the late 80's, early 90's, he was king

He does? Could you name even one guy from the 00's that can compete with (old) Axl?

He was specifically referring to the current Axl, not "old Axl." So asking him to come up with names for people better than Axl in his prime when he just said that Axl in the '80s and '90s "was king" is a bit pointless.

thank you

but I will answer the question, well the version of the question that would make sense "who is a better frontman than Axl today?"

Jacob Bannon - Converge

Josh Homme - Queens of the Stone Age / Them Crooked Vultures

Tom Gabel - Against Me!

Greg Puciato - Dillinger Escape Plan

Adam Senko - The Armed

Cedric Bixler Zavala - The Mars Volta

Mike Patton - Faith No More / a ton of other shit

Thomas Erak - The Fall of Troy

Frank Carter - Gallows

Keith Buckley - Every Time I Die

Maynard James Keenan - Tool / A Perfect Circle

Claudio Sanchez - Coheed & Cambria

to name a few in my opinion

none of which who could really hold a candle to Axl in the late 80's or early 90's

I've only seen Homme and Maynard from your list and I found both of them to be fairly boring. Your list does drive home the fact that bands of today suck balls and don't compare to past decades.

Not anymore, but he's got a whole new generation of younger more energetic frontmen to compete with

Who?

Cory Taylor for example.

LOL

I've only seen Homme and Maynard from your list and I found both of them to be fairly boring. Your list does drive home the fact that bands of today suck balls and don't compare to past decades.

typical response of somebody still in the "dad rock" phase :rolleyes:

you don't know what you're missing

Take Axl back in the 80's and 90's his energy on stage was off the charts no one I mean no one could touch him in energy, but even then his voice was hit and miss. I seen them a total of 7 times back then and only one concert did he have both the clean "Axl like vocals" and energy to spare and the other times the energy was there but the vocals where not up to par. One of the shows I went to his voice was nothing but rasp no high or low end just rasp like his vocal cords where shot and this was early in the leg of the that tour.

I have not been to any of the 2010 shows and all the boot legs are shitty so it is hard for me to judge so I will not say one way or the other because I was not there to hear it how it was suppost to be heard. I live in the US so I guess I won't get that chance anytime in the near future.

But one thing you have to consider he is older it is a fact! Also you have to take into account people age differently so I don't think it is fair to say just because this singer could do it at 45 doesn't mean someone else can. He is not going to be able to do it like he use to as far as energy and I am sure vocally also. But I think he picks his moments now to let the vocals go at the right time during a song just to show people he still has it but not too much that he harms his voice like he use to do back in the day.

IMHO when you look at his style of vocals what I consider power vocals he is doing great at his age but what I have to go by is the 06 show I attended not the 2010 shows which I havn't seen.

Also I beleive he is the greatest front man ever!!! Which is a subjective veiw depending on the type of music you listen to and enjoy.

One more thing even though I like Metallica I think James was worst thing that happen to front men as a whole because he can't sing for shit but it fits there style of music and it made anyone beleive they could be a front man no matter how there voice sounds but if it fits the music style that are tring to acheive then it works.

For the most part I want a lead singer to be able to sing and in todays rock music it is sorely missed!!!!!!

What am I missing? I like FNM the best out of what you've listed but I've never seen them live.

I'd say that would still apply today, in 2010.These guys mentioned above wish they had half of Axl's vocal abilities

Mmmh...Sorry but I must ask : ever heard Mike Patton do his crazy stuff ?

Axl only wishes he could do some of the stuff Mike does...Some very mean, disturbing stuff comes out of his mouth. I bet hell dwells in Mike's throat.

Not only that but he's capable of the sweetest mellow voices...And his voice is NEVER shot, unlike Axl's...

Who?

Cory Taylor for example.

LOL

How many times have you seen Stone Sour live?

If we are talking 2010:

1. Bono

2. Anthony Kiedis

3. Jack White

4. Trent Reznor

5. Bruce Springsteen

6. Mick Jagger

7. Axl Rose

8. Eddie Vedder

9. Perry Farrel

10. Thom Yorke

11. Steven Tyler

Bono hasn't gotten fat and his voice is more consistent. He's my number 1 in terms of the whole package: voice, charisma, stage presence, energy.

Who?

Cory Taylor for example.

LOL

How many times have you seen Stone Sour live?

Thought you were talking about Slipknot.

What am I missing? I like FNM the best out of what you've listed but I've never seen them live.

i dunno, maybe check out some of the others on my list and see if you dig any of them. I don't know exactly what your tastes are, but if you like FNM you might like The Mars Volta or Coheed & Cambria, even though they aren't really like FNM at all, maybe even give DEP a shot, they recorded a fucking awesome EP with Mike Patton and covered My Michelle at some point. If you like GNR (herp derp) I'd check out Gallows or Against Me. Contrary to popular belief the 00's weren't that bad, you just gotta give new bands a chance

I'd say that would still apply today, in 2010.These guys mentioned above wish they had half of Axl's vocal abilities

Mmmh...Sorry but I must ask : ever heard Mike Patton do his crazy stuff ?

Axl only wishes he could do some of the stuff Mike does...Some very mean, disturbing stuff comes out of his mouth. I bet hell dwells in Mike's throat.

Not only that but he's capable of the sweetest mellow voices...And his voice is NEVER shot, unlike Axl's...

yeah I'd like to see Axl do Moonchild

not everybody wants to hear experimental avant garde shit though, some people just want to hear good sounding music. While Mike Patton does a lot of awesome technically mind blowing shit with his voice, it doesn't quite serenade you like Street of Dreams or Catcher in the Rye

I prefer Mike Patton...Never gave a bad performance ( or I've never heard one ), always looked cool, and his batshit craziness can rival Axl's.

But yeah, Axl has more charisma and a more distinctive voice.

The only time Mike Patton doesn't suck is when he's with FNM. The rest of his projects and performances are awful. Axl is overall a much better performer IMO. He has the "it" factor more than any other singer on the planet.

By "(old) Axl" I meant the current one, since he is older now than i was in his prime. I can really see now why this might have seemed confusing ;)

And to answer my own question: No, none of the frontmen you guys have named can compete with Axl in my book. Axl has the most unique voice that I've ever heard (in the good sense) and that's number one for me. Looks, dancing, personality etc all come after this and none of the contemporary artists that I've been listening to have a voice that can match Axl's (not saying that there's not any good music about, just saying that Axl is phenomenal) even on one of his bad nights.

I don't think axl is the best frontman today, but he still has those moments of pure magic they are just not as frequent as in the past. When i watch the performance from the rose bar earlier this year it gives me goosebumps just listening to his voice go crazy. And as for comparing to mike patton it's a bit of a mismatch as they are completely different styles and while i enjoy patton a lot he 's never brought the intensity that axl does.

Tom Meighan hands down for me. Put the video on 2:55.

also jack white, liam fray (courteeners), bono, lydon, doherty (coolest guy I've seen on a stage, was like some 50s star, even if hes a twat hes got style), that guy from the flaming lips, the guy from the hold steady I'm a fan off.

Edited by Snake Eyes

i think the video of him punching a mofo out in LAX and walking away says it all.

no one dared step up to axl fuckin rose and he is like 5'10.

mike tyson got tackled.

enough said.

He got held back though. I do remember that quick "Shit" from the guy who was watching.

Edited by Cdlove