Do you think Axl is still the best frontman around?

ITW 2012

Not anymore, but he's got a whole new generation of younger more energetic frontmen to compete with

Back in the late 80's, early 90's, he was king

He does? Could you name even one guy from the 00's that can compete with (old) Axl?

He was specifically referring to the current Axl, not "old Axl." So asking him to come up with names for people better than Axl in his prime when he just said that Axl in the '80s and '90s "was king" is a bit pointless.

thank you

but I will answer the question, well the version of the question that would make sense "who is a better frontman than Axl today?"

Jacob Bannon - Converge

Josh Homme - Queens of the Stone Age / Them Crooked Vultures

Tom Gabel - Against Me!

Greg Puciato - Dillinger Escape Plan

Adam Senko - The Armed

Cedric Bixler Zavala - The Mars Volta[

Mike Patton - Faith No More / a ton of other shit

Thomas Erak - The Fall of Troy

Frank Carter - Gallows

Keith Buckley - Every Time I Die

Maynard James Keenan - Tool / A Perfect Circle

Claudio Sanchez - Coheed & Cambria

to name a few in my opinion

none of which who could really hold a candle to Axl in the late 80's or early 90's

sorry but i actually lol'd and spilled my tea at the very sight of some of those names. the bolded ones are the only acceptable suggestions and you try too hard.

Edited by Atlas Shrugged

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a lot of good frontmen, but the great ones that are alive are few. We're not talking just about vocal ability, but the ability to command, the charisma, the presence that all ties into it.

When you go to a show and the lead singer takes complete command of the crowd and all eyes on them - that's when you separate the men from the boys. Think about who I'm talking about apart from Axl, and that's your list of great frontmen. People who keep the older fans around, and draw newbies in. There might be some bias as to what kind of music you like, but put that aside and just go by people who can own the stage.

sorry but i actually lol'd and spilled my tea at the very sight of some of those names. the bolded ones are the only acceptable suggestions and you try too hard.

try too hard to what? let people know how much Axl Rose isn't the greatest frontman alive anymore? Its not like I'm in here hating on Axl and saying he sucks, the OP asked if there were any frontmen that were nearly as good as Axl Rose these days and I gave my two cents... I also thought I made it pretty damn clear that none of the people I listed are anywhere as awesome as Axl was when he was in his 20's. But lets not kid ourselves, as he has gotten older he just doesn't rule the stage like he use to, sometimes I'd even go as far to say that its hard to watch, I'd say the same thing about The Who and The Rolling Stones, two of the greatest rock bands ever. Axl Rose is my favorite frontman of all time, I don't know anybody in real life that loves Axl Rose nearly as much as I do, but jesus christ, some of you on this website act like he's the most important musician of the past 50 years or something. You spilt your fucking tea? get a hold of yourself!

I also have to agree with Sweetness when he said these days Axl is doing exactly the same things on alot of songs, especially the old songs. It is quite clear he is going through the motions at times. Which is inevitable, not just because of age but because of how long ago some of these songs were for him. It should be obvious that a younger band with everything to prove should be more intense - unfortunately as the OP pointed out, the classic frontman seems to be dying out.

Every now and then I catch a video of Axl which blows me away, where he is clearly in the zone. You can tell because even when he is standing still he can't stop moving, some of his dancing is unpredictable and looks less rehearsed.

After 25 seconds the camera steadies and it is once the music kicks off that he really gets going. It reminds me of what the members of The Doors used to say about being able to visibly see the music hit Morrison and give him a jolt.

For example the first time I saw the first minute of that video I thought Axl was really enjoying it, he does a weird skip off to the side and when the camera pans in he is just exuding energy from every pore. For a little while when he is over on that side that is classic Axl. That is 2006 - I am unsure how different he is today.

However with songs such as Jungle, he is clearly going through the motions, but then of course that is fine, he is performing the songs in an entertaining way but he is not as raw as he used to be - howeverI can not think of many young frontmen who still perform with the intensity he can do today when he is on top of his game.

Also, as a side note, Axl in his prime for me was untouchable, just unreal.

try too hard to what? let people know how much Axl Rose isn't the greatest frontman alive anymore? Its not like I'm in here hating on Axl and saying he sucks, the OP asked if there were any frontmen that were nearly as good as Axl Rose these days and I gave my two cents... I also thought I made it pretty damn clear that none of the people I listed are anywhere as awesome as Axl was when he was in his 20's. But lets not kid ourselves, as he has gotten older he just doesn't rule the stage like he use to, sometimes I'd even go as far to say that its hard to watch, I'd say the same thing about The Who and The Rolling Stones, two of the greatest rock bands ever. Axl Rose is my favorite frontman of all time, I don't know anybody in real life that loves Axl Rose nearly as much as I do, but jesus christ, some of you on this website act like he's the most important musician of the past 50 years or something. You spilt your fucking tea? get a hold of yourself!

For stage presence he certainly still has it.

His vocals have always been kind of erratic it has to be said, but at the Hammersmith show in 06 he was sensational.

Yet equally he can be sooo frustrating: takes ages to release an album, has seen successive lineups disintegrate around him, and worst of all for me has taken what was my favourite band in a new musical direction that I just can't relate to.

I've only seen Homme and Maynard from your list and I found both of them to be fairly boring. Your list does drive home the fact that bands of today suck balls and don't compare to past decades.

typical response of somebody still in the "dad rock" phase :rolleyes:

you don't know what you're missing

no, hes right, they do.

I've only seen Homme and Maynard from your list and I found both of them to be fairly boring. Your list does drive home the fact that bands of today suck balls and don't compare to past decades.

no, hes right, they do.

No, sweetness is right

If we are talking 2010:

1. Bono

2. Anthony Kiedis

3. Jack White

4. Trent Reznor

5. Bruce Springsteen

6. Mick Jagger

7. Axl Rose

8. Eddie Vedder

9. Perry Farrel

10. Thom Yorke

11. Steven Tyler

Bono hasn't gotten fat and his voice is more consistent. He's my number 1 in terms of the whole package: voice, charisma, stage presence, energy.

That's a disgusting and unfair comment.Bono and U2 are sooooo overrated.Bono may not be fat, and has done wonderful things for charity, but can he sing?? Not really.

With the exception of Thom York (the god of the heavenly falsetto), these guy's are no match for Axl. Anthony Kiedis?? Have you heard that guy sing live?? He can barely stay in tune and really, only sounds good on record.Now, former Chili Pepper member John Frusciante is a frontman.He's just always seen as Anthony's sideman/guitarist.Yes, he is an amazing guitar player, but has also released over 10 wonderful solo albums.He sound's like Cat Stevens but with a wider range.2004's "Shadows Collide With People" is a gem.

Springsteen is like a bad bar act who somehow "made it".Steven Tyler and Jagger fall into the same category of fronting highly successful rock bands, but don't have very impressive voices.Vedder is alright, but Reznor and Farrel at their very best were never a match for Axl.

In my mind, the only guy's who ever came close are as follows ..

Thom Yorke

Glenn Danzig

Jeff Buckley (RIP)

Nick Cave

I've seen a lot of these guys on the 'better than Axl' lists that keep getting posted.

I laughed at a few... Josh Homme, Anthony Kiedis.

Theyre not even in the same league.

The only one that really comes close for me in terms of the full package is Steven Tyler, who was in top form again at Download Festival last month.

That said, I still think Axl would come out on top, especially when considering his songwriting talent, stage presence and vocal range. Still the greatest frontman IMO.

Edited by Azazel

Do you think Axl is still the best frontman around? I honestly don't think anybody can touch Axl. Being a frontman seems like a lost art at this point. It's sure going to suck when he retires.

He doesn't come close to Prince's enchanting bad self. Nor has he taken care of his body the way he has.

Greatest frontman around, as in alive: Fuck yes, it's Axl.

Greatest frontman ever: Freddie Mercury, hands down.

I think I have to agree. I would have loved to have seen Freddie in his prime.

no, hes right, they do.

oh really? try not to spill your tea over it

Greatest frontman around, as in alive: Fuck yes, it's Axl.

Greatest frontman ever: Freddie Mercury, hands down.

Spot On!

Seconded.

I also think that many of you are judging Axl's current vocals from crappy, low-quality cell phone and YouTube videos.

Clearly, a voice like Axl's will not translate the same with these recordings. Go to a show. If you saw Axl live in 1992 and again in 2010, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.