Do you think Axl is still the best frontman around?

ITW 2012

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer Mike Patton...Never gave a bad performance ( or I've never heard one ), always looked cool, and his batshit craziness can rival Axl's.

But yeah, Axl has more charisma and a more distinctive voice.

Yeah, I'll go with Patton. Or Richard D. James. over Axl. any day.

Patton and D. James have remained contemporary, fresh, and challenge themselves musically.

Axl is just an insane retro act in 2010, sadly.

still think he has a kick ass, fuck you slash, album in him, though. :thumbsup:

Slash is not in this thread, don't hijack it please. :rolleyes:

Axl will always be the greatest frontman around to me. Vocally, he isn't always the best (though he was amazing from '86-'90) but he always, ALWAYS sings his heart out on stage. The emotion in all his performances just...commands attention. Nobody has the "It factor" like he does. He's just Axl and he'll always be the best. Nobody else could come close to doing what he does.

I'm probably unqualified to post on this thread 'cause it's been years since I've been to a concert (last one was U2 in '92) and I've never been to a gn'r concert but based on all the video clips I've seen of them over the years I think Axl is the most fun to watch and has a great stage presence.

I saw Queen in '83 and Freddie didn't stand out to me; saw Prince in '83 or '84 and he was charismatic but I'm not really into his style of music (liked Purple Rain at the time); Bono was okay but nothing to write home about. Too bad I never saw Axl live during his heyday - that would've been something.

Surprised nobody has mentioned David Lee Roth - anybody know how he was in concert?

Guest gunns5

One thing you can say about Axl and not any other frontman is that just when you think you've seen everything, good or bad, or you think you've seen him at his best in his prime,he pulls some magic out of his bandanna and out performs your expectations 100 fold.

Whether its doing a cover of Sailing at Wembley in 2006, the live and let die scream in 2002, the jungle and nightrain in RAR 2006, the end of twat in Hammerstein or the Twat scream in 09/10 ,

Yes he has his bad days, but his stage presence is ALWAYS there and he always finishes a show after putting everything into it, and just doesn't stand behind a microphone for a boring 2 hours.

Unpredictabe is what Axl does best, and thats a good thing because if it means more Sailing wembley moments or the like then he will always be in front of the others, at least in my eyes.

I prefer Mike Patton...Never gave a bad performance ( or I've never heard one ), always looked cool, and his batshit craziness can rival Axl's.

But yeah, Axl has more charisma and a more distinctive voice.

This is a damn good performance:

Would be better with: 1 less guitarist and the removal of those god awful backing tracks. C'mon Axl you don't need that garbage muddling the song.

I sit here trying to think who is better, and no one comes to mind.

For those that are criticizing Axl, what more do you expect from the guy? His voice, in my opinion, is the best it's ever been. I mean, go listen to the old GNR in the early 90's, and compare those vocals to now. Axl's voice was so fucked up back then, he could barely sing most of the time. Nowadays he has the rasp, and the range. He sounds incredible, and he's very consistent, and far more consistent than in the old days.

And he still runs around and moves just like the old days. He still has the same energy.

As far as stage presence goes, he is still a "can't take your eyes off him" performer. Axl was cool as fuck back in the day, and those were magical times, but he is still the same guy, and has actually improved in a lot of areas. It's just a different time, and a different band.

Nobody can rock like Axl, except maybe someone like Steven Tyler (stage presence and voice). Mick Jagger has great stage presence and rocks too, but he doesn't have that killer voice that wakes up and shreds an audience. Brian Johnson from AC/DC rocks too, but is nowhere near rocking like Axl. Someone mentioned Chris Cornell. I am a gigantic Cornell fan who loves everything he's ever done, but he doesn't compare to Axl has a front man. Cornell is almost the anti front man actually.

Axl's voice is like magic. It's a very primal thing that somehow reacts with people's body chemistry. And his stage presence is incredible. The guy owns the stage. And when he does on a rant, everybody's fucking listening to what he has to say.