Shackler's

Vincent Vega

I love Shackler's Revenge. It's def. one of my favorite songs on CD. I can listen to SR and Better over and over and they don't get old. Shackler's Revenge like all of Chinese Democracy was and IS underrated. I don't think it sounds dated at all. I think it's a fun, catchy, aggressive rock song. I also have no problem with the production of the song, I don't feel like it's over produced, but I feel like it's just right. I would love to see a music video to this with Mickey Rourke as Shackler like Axl was talking about in the Chats way back when.

The solo sucks pretty hard... It makes the song almost unlistenable.

I'd like to see any other guitarist play that solo lol

I'd like to see a guitarist that would even want to

*raises hand*

do it then, learn that awesome guitar solo

Shackler's has a very catchy beat and is generally a very catchy song with a nice hook and groove to it--I'm wondering why this song never caught on. It has ''single'' written on it, more than any of the other songs.

Personally I wish CD had been totally in the style of Shackler's and Oh My God--They're my favorite songs from 'new' GN'R.

It was never given the chance to "catch on"

hits are singles, with promotion and a video behind them. oh yeah and in the case of rock n roll bands, they need an active band behind them too.

shacklers didnt have any of these going for it when it surfaced.

so there.

I keep prefacing my comments with "I'm a casual fan" just to be clear.

As that type of fan, I seriously hated Shackler's and would wreck my car to get it off my radio. I would have found Chinese Democracy unlistenable if it was all in that style.

By the time it came out the industrial/dance/rock kind of thing sounded dated. Korn did that a decade earlier. It's not bad song though. I'd have preferred a stripped down acoustic blues version of it.

Absolutely correct. I do like the song too, but 'stripped' down, as I heard it in Osaka (the song still has some dreadful parts as the sound guys were trying to double in Axl's voice). Most of the material on CD was available 8-10 years ago, when Korn and NIN were doing it. Not to mention it would've only been some 6 years since they stopped touring with UYI, and he still would've had some momentum as a relevant rock act. That "new" industrial sound would have had people hooked, rather than saying "WTF is this" as they do now. Having ditched the band, waited 15 years, and released music that nobody wants, Axl's been reverted to a 'cult hero' these days. He's probably fine with that, it's just unbelievable that so many people here think he's still "Axl Rose, the most dangerous front man in the world". Those days are loooooooong gone.

The solo sucks pretty hard... It makes the song almost unlistenable.

I'd like to see any other guitarist play that solo lol

In all fairness, the talent/skill required to play that solo doesn't go hand in hand with whether or not it's a good solo.

Technically speaking, the Sweet Child O' Mine solo is easier to play, but I'm sure it's no question as to which is the better solo.

Granted, I do like the Shackler's solo. It's cool, and truthfully I find it fits the song well as it comes out of nowhere. That's what I love about the song in general - each section comes out of nowhere. It has a very spontaneous feel yet it all fits together. A very unique song in the Guns N' Roses catalogue, that's for sure. Interestingly, it seems to be the song that all of my friends love from Chinese Democracy. I know people who absolutely hated the title track but love Shackler's. To each their own of course.

To me, that song has a bit of everything. In under four minutes, it sums of the Chinese Democracy sound. Crazy solo, catchy melodies, industrial feel. It's got it all!

Opinions are opinions, but seriously, who cares if Korn did it, or NIN did it? As long as it sounds good, that's all that matters, this whole "it sounds dated to me" thing doesn't make sense, I mean it's kind of a contradiction when people say that, but then support old Guns also. Old Guns is just as dated compared to the crap they are pushing as "rock" nowadays, but none of that matters because IT SOUNDS GOOD!!

When I first heard Shackler's I HATED it. I couldn't believe they were releasing this song, and I began to have my doubts about new GNR in general. I thought it was a generic piece of crap.

Then, it grew on me, big time. I dismissed it originally, but when the album came out I gave it another listen. I think it's awesome. It's no an easily listening song at first. It sounds all over the place, has a wacky solo, wacky chorus, and sounds a new nu metal at first sort of (only because it sounds modern and not what we expect from GNR). But, once you get into it, it's one of those crazy songs that get you pumped up, and I dig it quite a bit. Not to mention it absolutely kicks ass live.

Shackler's has a very catchy beat and is generally a very catchy song with a nice hook and groove to it--I'm wondering why this song never caught on. It has ''single'' written on it, more than any of the other songs.

Personally I wish CD had been totally in the style of Shackler's and Oh My God--They're my favorite songs from 'new' GN'R.

I'm not a big fan of OMG, but Shackler's Revenge is one of my three favorites (along with This I Love and Sorry). So yeah, I'd like to hear more along those lines.

The two I can't stand are Street of Dreams (skull-crushingly boring) and Riad (is there some music in there, somewhere?).

Why wasn't it a hit?

Because it sounded ten years old and not like GNR to most people.

Yeah, Shackler is catchy.

Shacklers Revenge sounded like a demo like OH My God.. was used as a filler song and sounded like an experiment by a band trying to find a sound that fit. It would have sounded better in context with a chicken coop song by that fruitloop on six string- Buckethead.

yes kiddies Buckehead is a fruitloop...nunchackus and rubber chickens at a GNR concert? Talking sock spokesman named Herbie talking about how Buckehead was afraid of girls... if that dont make you feel embarassed for him the whole buckethead white face mask should. O his own he has AMAZING STUFF and in his own coop theres no one better but in GNR??? Axls coke must have been laced with LSD when he pulled that stunt.

Shacklers Revenge sounded like a demo like OH My God.. was used as a filler song and sounded like an experiment by a band trying to find a sound that fit. It would have sounded better in context with a chicken coop song by that fruitloop on six string- Buckethead.

yes kiddies Buckehead is a fruitloop...nunchackus and rubber chickens at a GNR concert? Talking sock spokesman named Herbie talking about how Buckehead was afraid of girls... if that dont make you feel embarassed for him the whole buckethead white face mask should. O his own he has AMAZING STUFF and in his own coop theres no one better but in GNR??? Axls coke must have been laced with LSD when he pulled that stunt.

yeah i agree. he should try to be cooler, like slash. cause thats cool, you know, trying.

oh wait thats actually really fucking lame.

buckethead doing what he wants and not giving a fuck? yeah thats not cool... :thumbsup: all he is missing is the strategic cigarette, leather jacket and heroin addiction. CHEA BRO! internet five!!!

Edited by Jackie Moon

yeah i agree. he should try to be cooler, like slash. cause thats cool, you know, trying.

buckethead doing what he wants and not giving a fuck? yeah thats not cool... :thumbsup: all he is missing is the strategic cigarette, leather jacket and heroin addiction. CHEA BRO! internet five!!!

LOL.

are you really trying to compare slash's gimmick to bucket's? shit man, it's apples n oranges. slash's persona fit gnr's image. bucket's looks absolutely ridiculous and sticks out like a sore thumb. doing what you want and not giving a fuck doesn't necessarily mean 'cool' in my book. it could also mean that bucket is just a freak. don't get me wrong, i like some of his solo work, but the guy has no business being in gnr.

Edited by Myke Hawk

LOL.

are you really trying to compare slash's gimmick to bucket's? shit man, it's apples n oranges. slash's persona fit gnr's image. bucket's looks absolutely ridiculous and sticks out like a sore thumb. doing what you want and not giving a fuck doesn't necessarily mean 'cool' in my book. it could also mean that bucket is just a freak. don't get me wrong, i like some of his solo work, but the guy has no business being in gnr.

the "He doesnt fit in gnr" thing is at least reasonable, matter of opinion i guess, each to their own on that one.

i think buckets persona is cooler than slash. just my take. i just think slash tries way too hard. did you read his book?it should have been titled LIKE ME LIKE ME!. ill side with the rubber chickens and nunchucks, thanks.