There IS good music from the 2000s

Jumpin' Jack Flash

I've noticed that some people seem to think or feel that music in the past is somehow infinitely better than anything to come out of the contemporary music scene of the last decade or so. I used to feel this way a few years ago myself...Gripping my Led Zeppelin and 'Stones albums to my heart and swearing that there's only garbage out in the world today. People fail to realise that there was always shitty music in every decade, yes even the 60s...actually, especially the 60s.

There's always good music around and sometimes you have to take it upon yourself to find it. Of course I still feel more rewarded when I find a cool band from the past since you get see there mark on history, whilst some bands out there today are more difficult to assess..

Point is, there's nothing wrong with the music of the last decade. The mainstream has always been garbage, why would you expect it to be different?

I used to feel this way a few years ago myself...Gripping my Led Zeppelin and 'Stones albums to my heart and swearing that there's only garbage out in the world today.

Same. A few years ago I thought that all modern music was similar to blink-182, Nickelback, Hinder, Britney Spears, or what have you. I still adore my classic rock and "dad rock" or whatever, but I've been finding tons of fantastic music from the last decade. There's so much of it, too, that I most likely won't be able to catch up on it all.

I used to feel this way a few years ago myself...Gripping my Led Zeppelin and 'Stones albums to my heart and swearing that there's only garbage out in the world today.

Same. A few years ago I thought that all modern music was similar to blink-182, Nickelback, Hinder, Britney Spears, or what have you. I still adore my classic rock and "dad rock" or whatever, but I've been finding tons of fantastic music from the last decade. There's so much of it, too, that I most likely won't be able to catch up on it all.

There is so much catching up to do this year alone!

If you claim that no good music was produced in the '00s, you're a close-minded idiot. You probably have a mullet too.

Mostly true

I loved the 00s. There was so much to listen to. Even off the top of my head.. The Kills, The Hold Steady, Libertines, David Holmes, The Strokes, The XX, Foals, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Kasabian, Biffy Clyro, Crystal Castles, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, The Big Pink, The Coral, Eminem, Marina & The Diamonds, Reverend & The Makers, Foals, Muse, The Black Keys, The Courteeners, Gorillaz, The Last Shadow Puppets, The Rascals, MGMT, Twisted Wheel, The Sword, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Lamb Of God, Fuck Buttons, Boris, Gallows, The Killers, LCD Soundsystem, M.I.A., Mumford & Sons, Bombay Bicycle Club, The Raconteurs, Dan Arborise, Arctic Monkeys, Down, Mos Def, Pink Martini, Ellie Goulding etc were all new and you had bands like The Flaming Lips, Modest Mouse, Oasis, Paul Weller, The Black Crowes, The Charlatans, Ian Brown, Jackson Browne, Prodigy, Primal Scream, Sonic Youth all having great moments.

There was plenty characters.. Jack White, Pete Doherty, Alex Turner, Eminem and Noel G was/is still the chief. Festivals were great. There was the whole strokes/libertines vibe. Vintagey stuff like the coral and the moons. New electronic/dance with CC, deadmau5 etc. A classic british album with "whatever people say i am thats what im not - arctic monkeys) and a love for the bizzare - exactly why Foals, Marina etc do so well. Kasabian are massive. Jack White was constistantly brilliant. Some kind of exciting chart artists like lily allen.

As decades become more distanced, the crap isn't remembered and the good stuff is. There were tons of awful pop/rock bands in the '60s, '70s and '80s -- I grew up in the '90s when people were saying how shit the '80s was for film and music. It was repeatedly voted the worst decade for entertainment and came in last in some big UK poll...I've noticed within the past few years people are starting to hold the '80s in higher regard and the classics are standing out; you've even got a lot of retro music being made right now (much of it indie) that kind of traces back to the dance-pop and electronica of the '80s. People saying the '00s suck are going to look back twenty years from now and say this is the decade that brought us tons of great rock, indie, hip-hop and pop. People will be playing The Blueprint, not Soulja Boy (sorry, Sunny). You'll see comments on YouTube videos for Radiohead (or whatever video site is around then) from people saying "Ah back when they made GOOD music! Thumbs up if you hate [2020s equivalent of Justin Bieber]!" And then in 2040 people will be saying how great the 2020s were.

Edited by Estranged Reality

^ Exactamundo

When people think back to the 00s years from now they're not going to remember the commercial, trashy, disposable pop stars...they're going to remember the artists like Eminem and Jack White.

Jack White's music is completely redundant. He's like a more talented version of Wolfmother. There has been some moderately decent music in the 00's but there are no future rock legends from the 00's.

When you hear someone say that this decade produced no good music figure out what they like. I for one love good old fashioned rock with the driving riffs and great guitar solos typically with a singer who sings in a high register (GNR, Van Halen, ACDC, Rush, Iron Maiden, the 80s). I pay little to no attention to new music but the only band that emerged this decade I can say I somewhat enjoyed was Wolfmother. Now has the type of music I want died out or am I just not seeing it anywhere? Because everything else Ive heard is stuff I dont like, so to me this decade is terrible (unless someone shows me something I like). Another thing missing are rockstars, I think that Kurt Cobain may have been the last rockstar.

Edited by mrandyk

^ Exactamundo

When people think back to the 00s years from now they're not going to remember the commercial, trashy, disposable pop stars...they're going to remember the artists like Eminem and Jack White.

Jack White's music is completely redundant. He's like a more talented version of Wolfmother. There has been some moderately decent music in the 00's but there are no future rock legends from the 00's.

Err, no. Get White Blood Cells, mkay?

When you hear someone say that this decade produced no good music figure out what they like. I for one love good old fashioned rock with the driving riffs and great guitar solos typically with a singer who sings in a high register (GNR, Van Halen, ACDC, Rush, Iron Maiden, the 80s). I pay little to no attention to new music but the only band that emerged this decade I can say I somewhat enjoyed was Wolfmother. Now has the type of music I want died out or am I just not seeing it anywhere? Because everything else Ive heard is stuff I dont like, so to me this decade is terrible (unless someone shows me something I like). Another thing missing are rockstars, I think that Kurt Cobain may have been the last rockstar.

Calling Cobain a rockstar made me lol...No way, broski. Icon? Most definitely.

Edited by Jumpin' Jack Flash

^ Exactamundo

I've got it. Haven't listened to it in nearly 8 years though.

Edited by ITW 2012

^ Exactamundo

I've got it. Haven't listened to it in nearly 8 years though.

Time for a spin I'd say :lol:

[there are no future rock legends from the 00's.

Josh Homme and Jules Casablancas.

I kinda agree re: Jack White. My problem with White is that he seems so damned serious about it all. By contrast, that's why I love Homme: he's awesome and can write a great rock hook but he isn't a humorless prick. White is humorless and he's a bit of a prick. He reminds me of the musical equivalent of a petty modern-day method actor. He just tries way too hard in my eyes and imo is a bit too self-aware of his talents (or, rather, of how he's perceived by music critics) and tries a bit too hard to cement his status as some kind of rock god. He just has no charisma. I'd take Homme over White any day of the week and he'd probably be a lot more fun to get drunk with. I'm not saying White isn't talented - I just think he'd be a lot more fun if he wasn't aware of his own talent.

You really think Josh Homme? I mean, he's good, but I wouldn't call him a rock "legend" material. If I were to relate him to some more semi-recent legends, he's never had his Nevermind or Ten or Appetite for Destruction or OK Computer or (What's the Story) Morning Glory or anything to that effect. Even The White Stripes have White Blood Cells and Elephant. Homme's good, but I don't know if I'd put any of his bands up there with any of these bands. Songs for the Deaf and Blues for the Red Sun are probably his two most notable works, and I don't think they really do it. I dunno. I've never been a big Homme fan, so it may be my bias talking.

I think he's pretty swell.

You really think Josh Homme? I mean, he's good, but I wouldn't call him a rock "legend" material. If I were to relate him to some more semi-recent legends, he's never had his Nevermind or Ten or Appetite for Destruction or OK Computer or (What's the Story) Morning Glory or anything to that effect. Even The White Stripes have White Blood Cells and Elephant. Homme's good, but I don't know if I'd put any of his bands up there with any of these bands. Songs for the Deaf and Blues for the Red Sun are probably his two most notable works, and I don't think they really do it. I dunno. I've never been a big Homme fan, so it may be my bias talking.

Rock frontmen are tricky because it all depends on whether you like the band. I've talked to people who think Steven Tyler is a joke and would never rank him on any kind of greatest-frontmen-ever lists, yet - even though I'm not his biggest fan - I feel inclined to do so based on the merits of Rocks alone. There are indisputable legends like Jagger and Lennon, and then there are the Tylers and Axls and Hommes whose statuses kinda boil down to whether you actually like the music they're making or not. Personally, I think Homme has made two masterpiece rock albums and two other very solid ones - and his live shows are phenomenal. But I can understand someone feeling differently.

I'll agree with that. I think how these things pan out is pretty hard to predict, anyways. Take a band like Bon Jovi. I wouldn't call them legends or whatever, but they're still immensely popular to this day. I would think back in the 80's, people would've written them off as just a fad or something, but for whatever reason they endured and are still popular to this day.

And just out of curiosity, what are the two Homme albums you would call masterpieces? Just wanna know if there's something from him I should definitely hear.

From Queens, Rated R and Lullabies to Paralyze are my favourites and his two masterpieces. Songs for the Deaf is very close behind.

I like his Kyuss stuff but it's more stoner metal than the QOTSA stuff, and I'm not a big metal guy. That's maybe why I actually like Lullabies the most - Nick had been kicked out by that point and his influences were more metal than Homme's, so in his absence there was some more melody than before ("I Never Came" is brilliant).

I think he's pretty swell.

Rock frontmen are tricky because it all depends on whether you like the band. I've talked to people who think Steven Tyler is a joke and would never rank him on any kind of greatest-frontmen-ever lists, yet - even though I'm not his biggest fan - I feel inclined to do so based on the merits of Rocks alone. There are indisputable legends like Jagger and Lennon, and then there are the Tylers and Axls and Hommes whose statuses kinda boil down to whether you actually like the music they're making or not. Personally, I think Homme has made two masterpiece rock albums and two other very solid ones - and his live shows are phenomenal. But I can understand someone feeling differently.

Steven Tyler and Axl are rock legends though. Those guys both sing on classic songs that have crossed generations. I don't see Homme as somebody who has done that or will be regarded as that in the future. Homme doesn't have a Sweet Emotion, Dream On, Sweet Child O' Mine, or November Rain in his arsenal.