Joe Perry slams Steven Tyler over American Idol Role

Use Your Delusion 1

Relaunched Boston giants Aerosmith could be on the verge of another civil war after guitarist Joe Perry erupted with rage over singer Steven Tyler's plans to become a presenter on US TV show American Idol.

Tyler says the deal has been done to replace Simon Cowell on the series, and he's also planning to do a solo album.

That's the kind of talk which led to the near-collapse of the band this time last year, following Tyler's drugs-influenced stage fall. The incident saw them cancelling a US tour with ZZ Top and eventually resulted in several big-name singers being invited to replace Tyler.

Issues were resolved in an eleventh-hour meeting in February and Aerosmith have been touring ever since, with talk returning to work on a new album.

Link to more Aerosmith madness: http://delcotimes.com/articles/2010/08/21/entertainment/doc4c6d6727536e0810983195.txt

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

Fuckin damn right too, are you a rock n roller or a fuckin stuffed chimp?!?! I'm glad someones speaking up about this shit, you see it from loads of people and it's like, Jesus, have some fuckin dignity for chrissakes, there was even some whispers of Noel Gallagher doing that shit...c'mon Noel, you're better than that :rolleyes:

Guest Len B'stard

Steven Tyler has earned the right do whatever fuck he wants.

Really? American Idol?!?! Wedged in there between...fuck, Paula Abdul and Ozzys mad wife? Have some fuckin class man, have some shame, look what the fuck you are (or were) and represented man...now you're gonna judge talent contests? Come oonnnnnn...i don't even like Aerosmith that much but they gotta be better than this shit...

Steven Tyler has earned the right do whatever fuck he wants.

Really? American Idol?!?! Wedged in there between...fuck, Paula Abdul and Ozzys mad wife? Have some fuckin class man, have some shame, look what the fuck you are (or were) and represented man...now you're gonna judge talent contests? Come oonnnnnn...i don't even like Aerosmith that much but they gotta be better than this shit...

What does him judging talent contests, have to do with the music he has made?

Nothing.

What does him judging talent contests, say about the type of person he is?

Nothing.

Edited by SunnyDRE

Guest Len B'stard

Everything. It's crossing the line in the sand, it's being a sell out, a turncoat, it's putting money before artistry, it's being a whore. Your major label rock stars are whores anyway (and to some extent indies too i guess) but i'll buy that utlising a necessary evil with a view of getting your art out there but this is just lightweight money spinning bullshit. Cheap. Tacky. Vaccuous. Embarassing. It's embracing an industry that is designed to sucking the life out of something that Mr Tyler was a part of and not after the fact either. It's sickening.

Everything. It's crossing the line in the sand, it's being a sell out, a turncoat, it's putting money before artistry, it's being a whore. Your major label rock stars are whores anyway (and to some extent indies too i guess) but i'll buy that utlising a necessary evil with a view of getting your art out there but this is just lightweight money spinning bullshit. Cheap. Tacky. Vaccuous. Embarassing. It's embracing an industry that is designed to sucking the life out of something that Mr Tyler was a part of and not after the fact either. It's sickening.

So getting paid to do something you want do or enjoy is the definition of a sell-out?

Spare me.

Guest Len B'stard

So getting paid to do something you want do or enjoy is the definition of a sell-out?

Spare me.

No however, as an artist, for you to engage in something that is

a) sucking the life out of your art form

2) has no artistic merit

and for:

c) no discernible reason other than money..

IS my definition of a sellout.

Then again, Tyler never aligned himself with such high ideals to begin so :shrugs: Still though, have some class...i mean Johnny Rotten got on the panel for Bodog but at least that was original bands playing original music...The Sex Pistols have released a fragrance so i guess this is the world we live in...The Swindle continues..

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Ya know.....if any word should be banned on this forum or retracted from webster's dictionary, it should be the term/word, "sell-out."

what does that even freaking mean?

;)

Someone that ain't true to their shit..

Edited by sugaraylen

Oh, for fuck's sake! Like Tyler has ever been one of those stuck up, full of themselves, "look at how cool I am and how underground and check out how I give the finger to the industry" Mike Patton-type annoying douchebag. He's a normal person, not some sort of artist-type that only does weird projects only 6 people in the world get or care about. And this is just a job, what kind of connection does it have with his other career as a singer/performer? They're completely separate. If anything, he might not fit this because he seems overall to nice to be a judge, but (I don't know, I've never seen the show) don't they also have a jury member that plays the good cop?

Guest Len B'stard

Oh, for fuck's sake! Like Tyler has ever been one of those stuck up, full of themselves, "look at how cool I am and how underground and check out how I give the finger to the industry" Mike Patton-type annoying douchebag. He's a normal person, not some sort of artist-type that only does weird projects only 6 people in the world get or care about. And this is just a job, what kind of connection does it have with his other career as a singer/performer? They're completely separate. If anything, he might not fit this because he seems overall to nice to be a judge, but (I don't know, I've never seen the show) don't they also have a jury member that plays the good cop?

Then again, Tyler never aligned himself with such high ideals to begin so Still though, have some class

As a general thing, people are free and entitled to do whatever the fuck they want and earn their money however the fuck they want but just as a personal perspective thing, i think artists should have some principles about their shit. The fact that most don't is neither here nor there and, end of the day, none of my fuckin' business either cuz hey, who am i to judge how someone choose to make their living?

HOWEVER:

Me, personally, i think an artist should be about his art and his craft and perfecting that and perhaps the betterment of that, if i was an artist (God forbid :lol:) i'd probably try and go through that shit in a way where i could come out the other end with some resembling a little dignity.

I don't have nothing against signing to major record labels and being as self promoting as possible. Probably not the way i'd go about it but i understand it, it makes sense. Not just for the distribution but that serious chase that certain bands have, that drive, to be the biggest band in the world, i have nothing against that. I have nothing against or rather i can accept like...an artist getting behind a product (just barely) if it's something relevant to their schtick i.e...i dunno, Mick Jagger doing something for Tag watches or something, thats cool cuz he's a style icon and no one can deny that style is a huge part of that Stones thing. Again, to me the concept is anathema but i can see how it'd work for other people or them or a certain group of folks.

But what i DO NOT get and do not dig is like....Steven Tyler for Coca Cola!!! Axl Rose for Ultra-Brite Detergent...y'know? Slash lending his name to Gibson, that shit makes sense...The Clash lending their song to Levi's, see, thats kind of a teeth grinder being that they are who they are and as militant in someways as they were (and not in other ways i guess) y'know, i can juuuust about let them off that :lol:

So (Giventofly) it's not like i'm saying or suggesting that they should be totally limitedc and only make their music and y'know, be some underground middle finger to the industry type, far from it.

It's just so cheap and so exploitative y'know...and it's the artist that's getting fucked. They might think they're not but they are...as a performer you have a shelf life, no ones around forever, these corporations that use your name or face to make some quick cash don't respect you and they WILL be around a lot longer than you and they'll be chickenhawkin' the next fuckin'...dult that goes around sticking their name on...y'know, whatever.

And this American Idol thing, it's just indicative of that...that mentality. Why on EARTH would someone like Steven Tyler wannabe on American Idol panel, seriously now for ANY other reason than just plain making money or maybe, y'know, somewhere to go in his twilight years, so he can hit after parties and schmooze and pretend he's not 70 years old.

And also, being an artist whoose come through so far from the 70s, it must be plain to see what American Idol is doing for that kinda hard edged gritty type music that HE CAME UP playing...and that kinda tips it for me y'know? I mean if Tyler was hard up for a few dollars i could understand but this is Steven fuckin' Tyler we're talking about. Personally, if i was him, i would do it, thats alls i'm really saying. In fact, personally, if i was him, i'd post the motherfuckers that make American Idol some anthrax but perhaps i'm just an emotive young man or something :rofl-lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

I think a lot of stuff is being exaggerated here. First and foremost is Steven's history and what he used to stand for. What did he ever stand for other than be yourself, have fun, be nice to each other and drive safely! "talk is cheap/shut up and dance/don't get deep/just shut up and dance" or something to that effect. I doubt anyone putting Steven the rock star on a pedestal here has even read or listened to an interview with him ever, otherwise they might reconsider this, rather than treat him as if he used to be a member of The Clash or something.

As for dirtylenny's point: what you're exaggerating (WAY exaggerating!) is the importance someone who's in the entertainment industry might give to that idealistic notion of an artist. Or to their image. There is no inherent responsibility that comes with writing, recording and releasing a song. What, now you're suddenly an artist and there's a code of conduit? Silly. It's all in the mind of some fans who can't relax and just enjoy the music without labeling and separating into objectively good/ objectively bad; sell-out/integrity; influential/irrelevant and whatever else shit those boring writers put into those bad music review magazines. Axl said it well in one of his loony rants, something, don't remember exactly how it went about "your misplaced sense of entitlement" (was it?) "doesn't dictate my actions". And he was right: it shouldn't. All that's expected from an artist, the baggage that comes with the term is entirely exogenous: the artist himself, the human being, the individual has his own life. Reputation only matters when signing endorsement contracts.

It's just so cheap and so exploitative y'know...and it's the artist that's getting fucked. They might think they're not but they are...as a performer you have a shelf life, no ones around forever, these corporations that use your name or face to make some quick cash don't respect you and they WILL be around a lot longer than you and they'll be chickenhawkin' the next fuckin'...dult that goes around sticking their name on...y'know, whatever.

I don't get your point here. Being hired to do something, unless you're a Marxist or something, is not exploitative. You provide the service (endorse a burger store, judge bad singers, star in a commercial for sports shoes etc) you get paid. It's all there is to it. No room for legacy here, nor should there be. I don't understand what you're getting at.

And this American Idol thing, it's just indicative of that...that mentality. Why on EARTH would someone like Steven Tyler wannabe on American Idol panel, seriously now for ANY other reason than just plain making money or maybe, y'know, somewhere to go in his twilight years, so he can hit after parties and schmooze and pretend he's not 70 years old.

I'm guessing the reason for Idol is precisely that. (Plus maybe he wants to stay relevant in a way; maybe he likes the attention, likes being a star, likes being on TV; who knows; who cares)

Relaunched Boston giants Aerosmith could be on the verge of another civil war after guitarist Joe Perry erupted with rage over singer Steven Tyler's plans to become a presenter on US TV show American Idol.

Tyler says the deal has been done to replace Simon Cowell on the series, and he's also planning to do a solo album.

That's the kind of talk which led to the near-collapse of the band this time last year, following Tyler's drugs-influenced stage fall. The incident saw them cancelling a US tour with ZZ Top and eventually resulted in several big-name singers being invited to replace Tyler.

Issues were resolved in an eleventh-hour meeting in February and Aerosmith have been touring ever since, with talk returning to work on a new album.

Link to more Aerosmith madness: http://delcotimes.com/articles/2010/08/21/entertainment/doc4c6d6727536e0810983195.txt

Where does Perry "slam" Tyler?

Guest Len B'stard
I think a lot of stuff is being exaggerated here. First and foremost is Steven's history and what he used to stand for. What did he ever stand for other than be yourself, have fun, be nice to each other and drive safely! "talk is cheap/shut up and dance/don't get deep/just shut up and dance" or something to that effect.

Yeah, you're right and i said as much earlier when i said then again, Tyler never aligned himself with any shit like that. But personally, i dunno, if i was the man, i wouldn't do it, i think it's weak but then i'm not so there that is.

what you're exaggerating (WAY exaggerating!) is the importance someone who's in the entertainment industry might give to that idealistic notion of an artist. Or to their image. There is no inherent responsibility that comes with writing, recording and releasing a song.

Not unless they choose to do so, yeah, you're right and i think what choice a person makes in terms of taking on some of these responsibilities or at least understanding their place on the totem pole says a lot about the artist and these things are reflected in some of the shit that comes to pass further down the trough.

What, now you're suddenly an artist and there's a code of conduit?

Yes, defined my the person who decides to become an artist for themselves.

It's all in the mind of some fans who can't relax and just enjoy the music without labeling and separating into objectively good/ objectively bad; sell-out/integrity; influential/irrelevant and whatever else shit those boring writers put into those bad music review magazines

Perhaps they enjoy it more and thats why they're so deep into it.

Axl said it well in one of his loony rants, something, don't remember exactly how it went about "your misplaced sense of entitlement" (was it?) "doesn't dictate my actions". And he was right: it shouldn't.

See this is where people like Axl Rose tend to think too much of themselves. A passing comment or even an asserted point regarding what you think of a certain persons behaviour is nothing even resembling a sense of entitlement because you're not dictating their actions to them, you're criticising them and there's a HUGE difference and i'm suprised that someone with such a big mouth and such big opinions coming out of it such as Axl would have trouble telling the difference. It's not like people sit around actually giving a shit, stewing over it, it's a transient thing and lasts for as long as it takes to espouse an opinion, the difference between Axl and your ordinary man is your ordinary man works for a living and doesn't have time to sit around in their batcave dreaming up smart ways to answer back their many critics anytime someone has something less than complimentry to say about him.

I don't get your point here. Being hired to do something, unless you're a Marxist or something, is not exploitative. You provide the service (endorse a burger store, judge bad singers, star in a commercial for sports shoes etc) you get paid. It's all there is to it. No room for legacy here, nor should there be. I don't understand what you're getting at.

My point is that these people are basically milked for their moment by corporations who have absolutely no respect for them, pay them a relatively pathetic amount of money when compared to the overall revenue you bring in, and then done and on to the next one. It has no positive impact on the artists career, a relatively paltry positive impact on their bank account and gives anyone looking on a bit of an idea of what that artists about, it brings short term financial gain at the expense of the music, end of.

If you wannabe a salesman don't pick up a guitar, get business management classes ;)

Perry's tweet... hasn't mentioned Idol yet.

Lotta pushin and shovin in the news lately. Most of it the media tryin to stir up same old s--t. Not one word in the media about St accidentally bashing me on the head and bleeding through rest of show. The emts wanted me at the emergency room but I didn't want to stop the show. Steven even announcd it to the crowd before he came back to see if I was o k. Not a word in the press. Accidents happen. It's a contact sport but when they make me out to be the villain it pisses me off. At least now you just gotta use your own eyes& ears to see what's goin on. Anyone who saw tonights show in Omaha knows nothing is gonna keep us from finishing this tour. Living through motorcycle accident getting bashed on the head with mike stand almost flying off end of ramp I know I'm gonna see this thru. And I know the rest of the band feels the same way come hell or high water. And our luck holds out!!!!!!!!!!

Bands playin great. Tom brad Joey playin better than ever. I always wished we could go right in the studio after tour. Ain't gonna happen."

http://twitter.com/admiralperry

Tyler never even sat in on American Idol as a guest judge. Maybe he's judged Hawaiian Tropic girls? I don't see doing the show is a sellout move to Aerosmith. It's a whole different hat he's wearing. I think if Aerosmith had their own record label and a few success stories, he'd be in a good place to judge singers. Madonna would be good because she's had her own record label and a proven track record as a pop singer, and is highly critical anyway. She went on that Seinfeld relationship show and was part of a panel, she did fine.

Someone needs to be the a-hole on the show. I don't think Tyler's a-holish enough for the gig.

J-Lo wanted 20 million. They're trying to save a sinking ship, too much money to shell out to someone who's a control freak about her image. And I have no idea why Howard Stern's name was ever thrown in the mix to begin with. His taste in music is from the early 70s and would just be schtick. Tyler is funny and likes to go on talking,but I don't know how he is going to fare as a critic and have the final say on the contestants. I think Kelly Clarkson would have been a good pick too, because she's been there, done that, was the first, and had success since. Even though she's had her ups and downs, would've been a better pick than Tyler.

To me, it's when a sponsor tells an artist what to do and they agree to it, that it becomes "selling out". Maybe "The Times They Are a Changin" shouldn't be in an ad, but it's Bob's decision to do what he wants with a song he wrote, that he has no reverence for, considering how radically he changes his songs anyway.

If you like a product and use it, I see no problem with endorsing it, as long as they don't interfere in your music, complain about what you said at a show, cursed on TV, or do what they want with it. But if the sponsor is facing a boycott because consumers have some issue with the artist, there's a conflict.

Being a judge on that show can be soul destroying, but so can firing band members and roadies. If he hasn't even done that, I don't know if he's ready to handle being a judge.

What would be a good discussion is anyone who's played for music industry types and sent audition tapes out and what kind of responses they'd get back vs the judging on Idol and comparing the two.

I think Randy's the closest to what they're really like vs. Simon's blunt one liners, then again, there's only so many ways you can tell someone they're bad, horrible, horrid...maybe he just ran out of new things to say.

Guest Apollo

Like several people have said, these guys started selling out back when they released Love In an Elevator.....then the same ballad released with a couple different names - amazing, crying....then the ballad from the bruce willis movie. Like def leppard, they went from being legendary hard rockers who influenced a generation of bands....to a band going exclusively for MTV top ten hits. When popularity is your main reason for creating a song - then u are selling out to the masses. You aren't creating art anymore.