Do you think we will see Rock come back?

Vincent Vega

i think there's something to be said for pretending y'know...just ask David Bowie :) From the beginning rock n roll has been a kind of subversive fantasy y'know, like everybodys a hairstyle away from being the man. Image has always been rock n rolls hook and what is image if not a form of pretence?

If reality was so cool we wouldn't need rock n roll.

Sure I agree...it can say something about who you are.

Example...was recently talking to an old friend,who..in 1976,went to high school sporting a red/orangey Ziggy haircut.

This was before punk rock was even on our radar.

He was viewed as a massive freak and the recipient of massive tirades from the jocks and the beautiful people.

But he took it in stride and walked the halls proudly...the ONLY guy without a rocker shag haircut.

I admired him greatly for it..the guts it took to do that spoke volumes.

THAT'S different than the local gang of sheep down at the corner (right now) with their sideways ballcaps and dirty underwear hanging out.

And their token tattoos that symbolize nothing anymore.

Walking that swagger walk with their "you fuckin looking at me" glares.

Nothing to admire there,especially when you see them get out of Mom's SAAB at the mall so she can buy them new shoes for school.

Guest Len B'stard

I know you're gonna find this a little dubious but to a degree, you kinda have to? Think about it, if everybodys got that cop an attitude, they work out tons, they get tattoos and wanna act bad, you kinda gotta do that just as a basis to get heard and taken seriously. I agree, it's sheep mentality but that's the times.

This is why out of all the rappers around, or even kinda criminal figures, amongst the bunch you find really cool really sensitive really insightful and really intelligent people and you kinda get the impression that like...fuck man, in another time and place, what would he've been?

Guest Len B'stard

wanna act bad, you kinda gotta do that just as a basis to get heard and taken seriously.

Bad acting...yeah for sure. :tongue2:

So...it's a crutch?

That's one way to look at it and i guess a perfectly valid one. But on the other hand it could be considered just behaving in tune to your surroundings. See not everybody is as big as "i'm gonna walk away cuz i'm the better man" or able to be themselves under any given circumstances. In fact, most ain't, especially younger people. It only takes a group of 5 or 6 people that really give a whole lot of people a lot of shit and you find yourself in a position where you kinda think, shit, OK, THATS the way you get respect. Expierience is a motherfucker. For some people, their pride is everything and when you're confronted with a certain type of person or attitude that belittles you and makes you feel 2 inches tall, not everybody can just swallow that and go home and have a good nights sleep.

And it's not like it's some ghetto thing, it's in a lot of pretty sedate towns now, it doesn't pay to be meek these days. So y'know, you look at a lot of kids these days in their neighbourhoods or whatever and you think, where does he think he is, Compton? But relative to 10 or 20 years ago life ain't the same for kids, you kinda have to..step up to the plate. I remember you saying something, i don't really remember it word for word but like you were at the movies or going to a show of some sort and this whole bunch of kids got into it or whatever and there was all this shit and cops came and it was all a big mess...now imagine you at 13/14/15...you gotta go to school with people like that, it's not easy.

That's not to say every fuckin town is like...beiruit, obviously the deterioration or change is relative to where it was before, not all places are completely bad but i think it's fair to say it's a different kettle of fish in general.

But in the end, you're right, it is a crutch and there's gotta be a way to break this self perpetuating thing where a certain demographic of kids feel they have to be a member of the Wu Tang Clan to get by...cuz they don't, there's always another way.