Reading & Leeds boss will end GN'R's set

Use Your Delusion 1

Melvin Benn, the boss of Reading & Leeds Festival has revealed if the headliners Guns N' Roses take to the stage late, he'll pull the plug on their set.

The boss of Reading and Leeds festival has told the BBC, (here), he has told the band he will pull the plug on their set if they arrive on stage late, as they did at Leeds in 2002, and more recently at their first Stateside concert appearance in four years at the Rock 'N Rev Festival in Sturgis, South Dakota where the band kept the crowds waiting for two hours after the previous act.

The band's appearance at Leeds eight years was over two hours late and landed the festival in trouble with the local council. Melvin Benn is quoted as saying, "If Guns N' Roses decide to take to stage as late as they did in Leeds some years ago then the performance just won't happen. I've had a very heavy warning from the local councils. There is a curfew - it's a very strict curfew."

He adds, "We got away with it once. We won't get away with it for a second time. Unfortunately, if the band chose not to take to the stage on time there's really nothing I can do. I won't be allowed to break the curfew."

"The truth is - it's threatening the viability of the festival. It threatens the licence. It really is quite important."

Last week the festival had to stop rumours that Guns N' Roses had cancelled their performance after a hoax tweet penned by someone who hacked into Rose's account.

Reading Festival happens at Little Johns Farm, Richfield Avenue, Reading, Berkshire, and Leeds Festival, at Bramham Park, Leeds, West Yorkshire, both happen from Friday 27th to Sunday 29th August.

Guns N' Roses are joined on headlining duty by Arcade Fire, and Blink 182 at both festivals. Also appearing on the main stage over the weekend are 'special guests' The Libertines - at Reading on the Saturday, and at Leeds on the Friday.

The line-up also includes Queens Of The Stone Age, Biffy Clyro, Lostprophets, Nofx, Gogol Bordello, Billy Talent, Dizzee Rascal, The Cribs, Modest Mouse, The Gaslight Anthem, Paramore, Weezer, Cypress Hill, Limp Bizkit, You Me At Six, All Time Low, LCD Soundsystem, Phoenix, Mumford & Sons, Delphic, Yeasayer, The Big Pink, Two Door Cinema Club, Pendulum, Enter Shikari, Crystal Castles, Frank Turner, Klaxons, We Are Scientists, Foals, Band Of Horses, Kele Okereke (Bloc Party), and The Drums.

The festivals will feature a full line-up of over 150 acts over the weekend on six stages. For the line-up details, stage splits, days where available, and the latest rumours please click here for Reading and here for Leeds.

Tickets were priced at £180 for a weekend ticket and have sold out for Reading.

LINK: http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/10/100824b.shtml

I wonder if he really would pull the plug on the think if Axl is late, your thoughts?

Edited by Use Your Delusion 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gnr is notified so no prob.

they just got one thing wrong. the rock n rev was due to the stage setup so gnr was not to blame wether people do that or not.

leeds and reading they will perform on time but I hope that means the organisation knows they need to cut some performances short due to the stage set up or axl needs to be happy with a normal size setup this time.

Haha, we should totally start a pool. Not sure how that could work - mygnr tokens perhaps :P

They make it on time

They are late, but by how many minutes

Axl never even gets to town

I'm in for late by 30 minutes!

at dublin 06 they were bang on time due to a strict curfew, i nearly missed the opening because i thought they would be late.

They were also bang on time at download 06.

They had a curfew in Helsinki, they cam on 45 mins late and played a full set. Finishing around 11:30pm when the curfew was 11 i think?

I would be surprised if they aren't a little late maybe half an hour but doubt they will be mega late. Don't worry about it, it is unusual for them to be over an hour late for a show, and these are mostly when the band is playing a stadium gig on their own, not festivals.

I'll be at Leeds on Sunday, bring it fucking on!

I just hope they'll let management know about this.. If so, I'm sure they'll be on time

They need to let Axl know about it the management doesn't exist or is shit.

But as people have mentioned he was ontime for download, and as the festival organiser stipulated in 2002 they "got away with it" which would imply they weren't extra strict.

Plus GnR were playing their first gig in 9 years or something in the UK and it was more exciting.

In 2010 the impact and excitment just isn't as big, so I imagine they will pull the plug at the latest they can allow the gig to go on for.

LP

I just hope they'll let management know about this.. If so, I'm sure they'll be on time

But as people have mentioned he was ontime for download, and as the festival organiser stipulated in 2002 they "got away with it" which would imply they weren't extra strict.

Plus GnR were playing their first gig in 9 years or something in the UK and it was more exciting.

In 2010 the impact and excitment just isn't as big, so I imagine they will pull the plug at the latest they can allow the gig to go on for.

LP

Axl will go on a little late to show he's still going to do what he wants, but not so late they have to cancel.

Guest gunns5

LP

Axl will go on a little late to show he's still going to do what he wants, but not so late they have to cancel.

lol that strangely makes a lot of sense

I REALLY hope they don't pull the plug on GN'R, if they do I'll be really mad. Them and Queens Of The Stone Age are the only two bands I'm interested in seeing.

It's insane how strict timings are here in England for rock festivals. I think Graspop in Belgium goes on until about 1am. If they do try and pull tne plug Axl could always repeat his awsome Leeds 2002 speech:

"Well, it appears that we're gonna have an interesting evening. You see the, city council and the promoters say we have to like end the show. And they'll say that I'm... they could say maybe I'm enciting a riot. Now I'm not 'cause I don't want anyone to get arrested or anyone to get in trouble or anything like that. But I think we got a good 7 or 8 fucking songs left at least to play for you. And I didn't fucking come all the way to fucking England to be told to go back fucking home by some fucking asshole! All I've got for the last 8 years is shit after shit after shit in the fucking press and Axl's this, Axl's that - I'm here to play a fucking show and I wanna play!"

I REALLY hope they don't pull the plug on GN'R, if they do I'll be really mad. Them and Queens Of The Stone Age are the only two bands I'm interested in seeing.

It's insane how strict timings are here in England for rock festivals. I think Graspop in Belgium goes on until about 1am. If they do try and pull tne plug Axl could always repeat his awsome Leeds 2002 speech:

"Well, it appears that we're gonna have an interesting evening. You see the, city council and the promoters say we have to like end the show. And they'll say that I'm... they could say maybe I'm enciting a riot. Now I'm not 'cause I don't want anyone to get arrested or anyone to get in trouble or anything like that. But I think we got a good 7 or 8 fucking songs left at least to play for you. And I didn't fucking come all the way to fucking England to be told to go back fucking home by some fucking asshole! All I've got for the last 8 years is shit after shit after shit in the fucking press and Axl's this, Axl's that - I'm here to play a fucking show and I wanna play!"

Haha!!

And then he played a bit of Prostitute... Nice.

This is why I love Axl.

This is why I love Axl.

Yep, that speech was f**king awsome! I think curfew times are annoying at festivals anyway and at festivals its not as if most people need to get home that evening.