Reading & Leeds boss will end GN'R's set

Use Your Delusion 1

I REALLY hope they don't pull the plug on GN'R, if they do I'll be really mad. Them and Queens Of The Stone Age are the only two bands I'm interested in seeing.

It's insane how strict timings are here in England for rock festivals. I think Graspop in Belgium goes on until about 1am. If they do try and pull tne plug Axl could always repeat his awsome Leeds 2002 speech:

"Well, it appears that we're gonna have an interesting evening. You see the, city council and the promoters say we have to like end the show. And they'll say that I'm... they could say maybe I'm enciting a riot. Now I'm not 'cause I don't want anyone to get arrested or anyone to get in trouble or anything like that. But I think we got a good 7 or 8 fucking songs left at least to play for you. And I didn't fucking come all the way to fucking England to be told to go back fucking home by some fucking asshole! All I've got for the last 8 years is shit after shit after shit in the fucking press and Axl's this, Axl's that - I'm here to play a fucking show and I wanna play!"

This is why I love Axl.

Yep, that speech was f**king awsome! I think curfew times are annoying at festivals anyway and at festivals its not as if most people need to get home that evening.

You ever lived in a tourist town?

Curfews provide some sorta consideration for the people that actually live there.

I know why curfews are there but the festival is one weekend a year, its not everyday. And if they don't let Guns play there could well be a riot which is probably why they didn't pull the plug in '02. Okay so Axl/Guns' popularity may have declined but there will still be a fair few GN'R fans there and as they're a headline act, one of the main draws of the festival and people will be annoyed if they don't see them. Also, its not as if Queens Of The Stone Age will be given a longer set to compensate given the nature of this thing. Eg they could still go on at 23:20 and play Chinese and Jungle.

At best we'll get a full two hour GN'R show, other than that the show will be cut depending how late they are. At worst they'll be no show/won't be allowed on. However, the trouble is that if there is a problem at Reading I can see Axl not bothering to do Leeds as well. It would also mean that Guns couldn't really play another UK festival. I spoke to some people at this year's Download who were at Download '06 and said GN'R were partly to blame for the riots. (I don't know how true this is though) Also, if Axl's lateness is to blame for the bands' show effectively getting cancelled the band will be none too happy.

Personally, I'm hoping for the best, Axl has come on stage on time in the past and I'm hoping that he will this time. I think he also knows that if he annoys the Reading/Leeds organisers he can kiss goodbye to doing any more UK festivals.

Edited by LesPaul_Player_91

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:P i get that the chief of this festival is just doing his job but... u just dont disrespect axl like this publicly... this is a good time to bring back "double talkin jive.. " he can dedicate it to mr boss at start of show.

+1 this is my fear.......

Oh my god this weekend could be a fucking disaster or totally amazing - isn't that what following GNR is all about?!?!? ....... :krider:

Seriously, this guy should shut the fuck up now, i appreciate his position but he should have released one brief statement and then dealt with gnr / axl only. He has made his point and should leave it now.

:P i get that the chief of this festival is just doing his job but... u just dont disrespect axl like this publicly... this is a good time to bring back "double talkin jive.. " he can dedicate it to mr boss at start of show.

+1 this is my fear.......

Oh my god this weekend could be a fucking disaster or totally amazing - isn't that what following GNR is all about?!?!? ....... :krider:

Seriously, this guy should shut the fuck up now, i appreciate his position but he should have released one brief statement and then dealt with gnr / axl only. He has made his point and should leave it now.

+1

I hope its awsome too but this statement by the boss has made me nervous. I can see why he has to be so strict but by pulling the plug could create a shitstorm and if he annoys Axl and Reading I can see him pulling out of Leeds to make a point. But for all we know at 21:30 we'll hear DJ playing the opening chords of Chinese. Well, Reading/Leeds will certainly be interesting if nothing else!

I think people that are going to the READING festival may get a 600% better chance of seeing GNR play something, especially if Axl decides against Leeds or Worse they BAN him from Leeds because of an a riot at the Reading festival after they pull the plug

I seriously predict some sort of trouble especially as

a) The Reading Festival organiser has undermined axl before hes even played a song

B) Reading is known for bottling, more so than ANY other festival, with the exception of leeds

c) Leeds AND READING traditionally riot on the Sunday

I think people that are going to the READING festival may get a 600% better chance of seeing GNR play something, especially if Axl decides against Leeds or Worse they BAN him from Leeds because of an a riot at the Reading festival after they pull the plug

I seriously predict some sort of trouble especially as

a) The Reading Festival organiser has undermined axl before hes even played a song

B) Reading is known for bottling, more so than ANY other festival, with the exception of leeds

c) Leeds AND READING traditionally riot on the Sunday

Yeah, various problems may occur:

1) Axl is on stage at 21:30 (hurrah) but people bottle him and it's another Download '06 in terms of ill feelings between band an audience, although by the looks of youtube clips the show ended very well indeed. In fact a worse case scenario regarding bottling is that he is bottled and doesn't come back out - a riot may ensue.

2) Axl is on stage late and they pull the plug during his set - a riot may ensue

3) GN'R never go on stage because they are too late - a riot may ensue

Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid regarding a possible riot :lol: but if there is going to be any drama on the 2010 Europe tour it will probably be at Reading and/or Leeds. I figured that knowing what happened last time when they booked GN'R they figured he'd probably go on late. Obviously not.

Fuck the curfew. I've waited 2 hours after two opening acts 500km far away from home without water and I'm not bashing Axl for this. I know it's a pain in the ass, but it's a fucking festival that occurs one time-a-year; are you fucking kidding me ?? I hope Axl shows up in time, but still, if you're going to a big festival like this and YOU'LL WAIT TO SEE GUNS N' ROSES you can't have anything to do next day.

THAT! I was at that concert too, and I got throw the same things you did, and I don't give a fuck! 50,000 people behind me trying to take my place after 3 concerts and more than 6 hours on my feet in the stadium and many other hours waiting for it to go and a 3 hours of delay on the GNR concert. FUCK THAT! After all, Guns N' Roses played a concert, and that was all that matters, I would have gone throw much, MUCH more to see that epic concert again.

Edited by ManetsBR

just want to add i was at download in 2006 and there was no riots,some people walked off i even remember one guy storming off saying thats not a band.

to be honest i felt the crowd was very hostile to the band and i was ashamed in a way to be there but in the end the band won them over and it was the longest set i have seen so far from gnr.

i was also at leeds in 2002 and there was no hostility,or bottles thrown or any shit like that,only love for the band.thats all people were taliking about,were there for.

i was at newcastle as well and that was a great show until some dick threw a £1 coin at axl and we got no encore,but the friggin wait was unreal.lol,it was probably the hottest day of 2006 too.

If only more promoters would take a hard-line approach like this with Axl and the start times.

The Reading and Leeds crowds will get to see a great show without having to wait forever or get home at an ungodly hour. It is just too bad this bit of common courtesy had to be imposed upon him instead of something he does freely in appreciation for the fans paying their money to come out and see them.

There's a riot at Leeds every year anyway

I think at the bottom of his heart, Axl is a complete riot-addict. A riot-fetishist. He talks like riots are a bad thing, which they might actually be in the real world, but I'm sure ever since the incidents in the nineties he gets off on the idea of his concert audiences rioting all over the place. breaking shit and stuff. and he is like the little angel of destruction that brought it upon the world.

There's a riot at Leeds every year anyway

I think at the bottom of his heart, Axl is a complete riot-addict. A riot-fetishist. He talks like riots are a bad thing, which they might actually be in the real world, but I'm sure ever since the incidents in the nineties he gets off on the idea of his concert audiences rioting all over the place. breaking shit and stuff. and he is like the little angel of destruction that brought it upon the world.

:thumbsup:rock3