Reading & Leeds boss will end GN'R's set

Use Your Delusion 1

just want to add i was at download in 2006 and there was no riots,some people walked off i even remember one guy storming off saying thats not a band.

to be honest i felt the crowd was very hostile to the band and i was ashamed in a way to be there but in the end the band won them over and it was the longest set i have seen so far from gnr.

i was also at leeds in 2002 and there was no hostility,or bottles thrown or any shit like that,only love for the band.thats all people were taliking about,were there for.

i was at newcastle as well and that was a great show until some dick threw a £1 coin at axl and we got no encore,but the friggin wait was unreal.lol,it was probably the hottest day of 2006 too.

at download there was some trouble on the sunday night but it was provoked by the appaling security at the camp site, nothing to do with GnR

as for the crowd, yes there was a lot of hositility, and the band's performance problems didnt help their cause, but when they played NR and especially Nighttrain they started to win a lot of the haters over

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole thing is stupid, does he really think anyone is going there to see anyone but Gn'R?

No, what would be stupid is Axl not being a grown up like every other performer will be that day and showing up on time to play his set.

Who knows, if everything goes off without a hitch maybe some other promoters will take note of how it is possible to put Axl in his place and get the band to show up at a reasonable hour and still play a kick ass show.

This whole thing is stupid, does he really think anyone is going there to see anyone but Gn'R?

No, what would be stupid is Axl not being a grown up like every other performer will be that day and showing up on time to play his set.

Who knows, if everything goes off without a hitch maybe some other promoters will take note of how it is possible to put Axl in his place and get the band to show up at a reasonable hour and still play a kick ass show.

The way the dude put it out there was really up front, and if i was in axl's shoes, bearing in mind how he has been in the past, i would probably take it as a challenge, you know?

just seems that he's almost challenging them to go on late, it would have been a better idea to give a quiet word through to management etc

I guess the guy is possibly just trying to grab for attention :shrugs:

The way the dude put it out there was really up front, and if i was in axl's shoes, bearing in mind how he has been in the past, i would probably take it as a challenge, you know?

just seems that he's almost challenging them to go on late, it would have been a better idea to give a quiet word through to management etc

No, by doing it this way the onus is 100% on Axl to show up and do the right thing because everyone is clear on the expectations going in. There will be no pleading stupidity about not knowing about the curfew. If there is any incident, it is 100% on Axl and that is the way it should be.

No hes trying to protect his Licence for one of the most Legendary UK festivals of all time, Last time Axl did leeds they had to relocate or srap the Leeds part of the festival forever

I dont agree with Melvin Benn speaking undermining Axl in such a public way but hes got to look at the longevity of his own festival- hes actually quite posotive about Axl Rose if you bother to watch the whole interview

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/52638

Axl will be aware of the situation and the ball is in his court, bearing in mind hes not even in the UK yet and the band have been here for several days already

we will have to watch and see...

Edited by yes i love you

For all we know promoters have been doing that for ages. Maybe this will work. Did the promoter send out a similar release for any other bands playing?

I don't see any "double talk" in Melvin Benn's statement. He's very straightforward. A better example of "double talk" would be a statement claiming that a tour was canceled via one means of communication and stating that it wasn't canceled through another.

I honest to God cannot see why people think it would be really cool and 'rock-star-like' for Axl to pitch up late.

I just do not understand where the logic is in that. Nothing positive whatsoever can come from him taking the stage a short time before the curfew. It's not 'cool', it's not 'bad-ass', it's just piss-poor showmanship. The only thing it will achieve, is denying the fans (like myself) who have paid their money to see a band at a festival, the chance to see a full headline set, and more than likely jeopardise the future of this great festival.

All the idiots in cloud-cuckoo-land who think that the only possible reason people may have bought a ticket is to see GN'R need their heads examined. This is the UK's most renowned and well known rock festival, with a plethora of stages and bands to see. Given that there are going to be another 4/5 bands playing at the same time, they'll probably have about a 60% share of the audience. I appreciate they are the headliner, but you buy a 'Reading Festival' ticket, not a 'Guns N' Roses with 3 days worth of support bands' ticket. Not everyone will be there to watch GN'R.

Even worse in some respects, is that people will choose to see Guns over another band, and there's the possibility that they could easily have watched the other band's whole set, long before Axl decides to set foot on the stage.

Bear in mind also, that every other band on the planet manages to get themselves on stage on time. And in the grand scheme of things, the people with closed minds that lurk on fan forums and worship Axl's every move think that it would be a really good statement to come on stage two hours late, will make up a startlingly small proportion of the crowd. Almost everyone else in attendance will think it unprofessional and discourteous to arrive any later than is reasonably acceptable - by that I mean 15-20 minutes, given the inevitable complications involved with a festival stage turnaround. After all, since he is a professional musician, and he is being paid to be there, he is technically at work. If anyone else in the real world were to turn up to work 2 hours late, not do what they were paid to do, and then give the excuse "I just didn't feel like it", we'd be fired on the spot. I do not understand why people think this is acceptable, let alone applaud it, when this sort of behaviour is prepetrated by a rock singer.

He's being paid to sing at a predetermined time, the promoter has read him the riot act to say that they won't take any of his crap, and I for one applaud Melvin Benn for that.

End of rant!!

I honest to God cannot see why people think it would be really cool and 'rock-star-like' for Axl to pitch up late.

I just do not understand where the logic is in that. Nothing positive whatsoever can come from him taking the stage a short time before the curfew. It's not 'cool', it's not 'bad-ass', it's just piss-poor showmanship. The only thing it will achieve, is denying the fans (like myself) who have paid their money to see a band at a festival, the chance to see a full headline set, and more than likely jeopardise the future of this great festival.

All the idiots in cloud-cuckoo-land who think that the only possible reason people may have bought a ticket is to see GN'R need their heads examined. This is the UK's most renowned and well known rock festival, with a plethora of stages and bands to see. Given that there are going to be another 4/5 bands playing at the same time, they'll probably have about a 60% share of the audience. I appreciate they are the headliner, but you buy a 'Reading Festival' ticket, not a 'Guns N' Roses with 3 days worth of support bands' ticket. Not everyone will be there to watch GN'R.

Even worse in some respects, is that people will choose to see Guns over another band, and there's the possibility that they could easily have watched the other band's whole set, long before Axl decides to set foot on the stage.

Bear in mind also, that every other band on the planet manages to get themselves on stage on time. And in the grand scheme of things, the people with closed minds that lurk on fan forums and worship Axl's every move think that it would be a really good statement to come on stage two hours late, will make up a startlingly small proportion of the crowd. Almost everyone else in attendance will think it unprofessional and discourteous to arrive any later than is reasonably acceptable - by that I mean 15-20 minutes, given the inevitable complications involved with a festival stage turnaround. After all, since he is a professional musician, and he is being paid to be there, he is technically at work. If anyone else in the real world were to turn up to work 2 hours late, not do what they were paid to do, and then give the excuse "I just didn't feel like it", we'd be fired on the spot. I do not understand why people think this is acceptable, let alone applaud it, when this sort of behaviour is prepetrated by a rock singer.

He's being paid to sing at a predetermined time, the promoter has read him the riot act to say that they won't take any of his crap, and I for one applaud Melvin Benn for that.

End of rant!!

This.

End of rant!!

Agree completely. Nice to see a sensible post for a change.

Melvin Benn is actually quite a sweet old man, ive been watching his interview on the nme.com

He is INCREDIBLY posotive and scincere about Axl Rose, and one of the only festival promoters willing to stick his neck on the line to have GUNS N ROSES headline.

Reading and Leeds festival does not NEED Guns N Roses to make money, they sell out every year and have dibs on all the biggest acts of the world, the reason Melvin Benn chose GNR was beacuse , in his own words

"when they play its amazing,spellbinding and no other group can do such a great show"

This guy is a fan, and has probably worked damn hard to sign GNR, give thetm the platform in the face of so many doubters and colleuges at Festival Republic, Especially as the last time they agreed Guns could headline Leeds only as the band couldnt make Reading, they made allowances- he keeps bringing GNR back beacuse he knows onstage they are faultless

Leeds had to relocate in 2002 after Axl showed up after curfew, Melvin Benn sorted it out and is now bringing them back again

This guy isnt an Enemy or Satan, hes a sweet old man who believes in Axl and GNR, who books them annd makes constant allowances, he should be commended!

He didnt lash out at Axl eitether, he was doing an interview and someone asked him what would happen if GNR overran, he simply just answered honestly to protect his festival that pays so many wages and jobs and keeps a roof over his empoyees family.

People need to Realise that if GNR play beyond 11.30 at Reading and 11.00 at leeds then there is a good chance the festival will loose their licence

Its up to UNCLE AXL now, but people need to stop makiing Melvin Benn look like the bad guy- hes done more for GNR in the UK than anyone else

Its not that he should go on late after this has been said, or that it would be a cool thing to do, or that it is at all justified

Its just that saying it this upright and publicly doesn't seem like the right way to handle it, especially as in the video he says he already has assurances from axls agent etc, why did he need to go out and publicly state it that they WILL not go on late, and they aren't allowed

I can understand it being a re-assurance to the fans though

Melvin Benn is actually quite a sweet old man, ive been watching his interview on the nme.com

He is INCREDIBLY posotive and scincere about Axl Rose, and one of the only festival promoters willing to stick his neck on the line to have GUNS N ROSES headline.

Reading and Leeds festival does not NEED Guns N Roses to make money, they sell out every year and have dibs on all the biggest acts of the world, the reason Melvin Benn chose GNR was beacuse , in his own words

"when they play its amazing,spellbinding and no other group can do such a great show"

This guy is a fan, and has probably worked damn hard to sign GNR, give thetm the platform in the face of so many doubters and colleuges at Festival Republic, Especially as the last time they agreed Guns could headline Leeds only as the band couldnt make Reading, they made allowances- he keeps bringing GNR back beacuse he knows onstage they are faultless

Leeds had to relocate in 2002 after Axl showed up after curfew, Melvin Benn sorted it out and is now bringing them back again

This guy isnt an Enemy or Satan, hes a sweet old man who believes in Axl and GNR, who books them annd makes constant allowances, he should be commended!

He didnt lash out at Axl eitether, he was doing an interview and someone asked him what would happen if GNR overran, he simply just answered honestly to protect his festival that pays so many wages and jobs and keeps a roof over his empoyees family.

People need to Realise that if GNR play beyond 11.30 at Reading and 11.00 at leeds then there is a good chance the festival will loose their licence

Its up to UNCLE AXL now, but people need to stop makiing Melvin Benn look like the bad guy- hes done more for GNR in the UK than anyone else

THIS

Because of GnR the Leeds fest had to leave Temple Newsham park, so the fact that they are having them back again is remarkable in itself, to hear them say that they would rathe rpull the plug on their set than lose their license again is hardly a suprise and people should stop overreacting

I think Axl will be on time this time.

I don't think it was completely his fault last time either, maybe a bit, but I remember the prodigy leaving the stage around 11:30pm....

I don't remember properly it was too fucking long ago, but an hour between gigs isn't too bad no? So he was maybe 30 minutes later than he should have been.

Not the end of the world.

But seems in Download he was on time and I think the promoters this time have asked him to be on time, so I think he will be.

LP

You would have thought the official Reading Festival website would have use an up to date photo of Axl Rose.

Then again, youd have thought Axl Rose or his management, would have, by now, got the current line up a studio for a couple of official photos for the press to use.

axl.jpg

READING 2010 Axl Rose is Guns N'Roses

Edited by star

This is the one thing Axl does I don't like. And that piss poor excuse, I''m a midnight person' or whatever it was is bullshit. Then have the show start at whatever time your going to be ready, but don't show up late.

I'd still prefer sitting in an arena watching an empty stage then hear her Myles butcher Axl's songs with that thing he calls 'singing'.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

I think Axl will be on time this time.

I don't think it was completely his fault last time either, maybe a bit, but I remember the prodigy leaving the stage around 11:30pm....

I don't remember properly it was too fucking long ago, but an hour between gigs isn't too bad no? So he was maybe 30 minutes later than he should have been.

Not the end of the world.

But seems in Download he was on time and I think the promoters this time have asked him to be on time, so I think he will be.

LP

All I remember is the tangible electicity in the air as the bus swept down the hill to the stage. I don't think Axl will ever just shut up and sing.

I understand the Leeds/Reading curfews.But for all the other cryin about going on late, its a Rock n Roll concert, not some school function or dentist appointment. The dude has been going on stage late for a long time now, it is old news and should be expected. Rock is all about rebellion and anarchy and going against the grain, but dont be a minute late Axl Rose!