Anybody else hoping Axl shows up late on Friday?

ITW 2012

No. For the safety and enjoyment of those that spent hard-earned money on tickets, I don't hope he shows up late. Best of luck to those of you attending. I hope it all goes smoothly and you have a great time. If it doesn't, take the high road and don't go nuts or anything. Just don't ever give him your time or money again.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went into a fair bit of detail on another thread with my thoughts on this matter... But here they are again, as some people still have this incomprehensible desire to see read about [with no regard for those attend] a shorter, if not, cancelled show.

"Ooooh, isn't Axl such a badass for f**king up a whole load of peoples' weekends which they spent a lot of money on. I'm so glad he's my favourite singer :wub: ...."

I think not.

I honest to God cannot see why people think it would be really cool and 'rock-star-like' for Axl to pitch up late.

I just do not understand where the logic is in that. Nothing positive whatsoever can come from him taking the stage a short time before the curfew. It's not 'cool', it's not 'bad-ass', it's just piss-poor showmanship. The only thing it will achieve, is denying the fans (like myself) who have paid their money to see a band at a festival, the chance to see a full headline set, and more than likely jeopardise the future of this great festival.

All the idiots in cloud-cuckoo-land who think that the only possible reason people may have bought a ticket is to see GN'R need their heads examined. This is the UK's most renowned and well known rock festival, with a plethora of stages and bands to see. Given that there are going to be another 4/5 bands playing at the same time, they'll probably have about a 60% share of the audience. I appreciate they are the headliner, but you buy a 'Reading Festival' ticket, not a 'Guns N' Roses with 3 days worth of support bands' ticket. Not everyone will be there to watch GN'R.

Even worse in some respects, is that people will choose to see Guns over another band, and there's the possibility that they could easily have watched the other band's whole set, long before Axl decides to set foot on the stage.

Bear in mind also, that every other band on the planet manages to get themselves on stage on time. And in the grand scheme of things, the people with closed minds that lurk on fan forums and worship Axl's every move think that it would be a really good statement to come on stage two hours late, will make up a startlingly small proportion of the crowd. Almost everyone else in attendance will think it unprofessional and discourteous to arrive any later than is reasonably acceptable - by that I mean 15-20 minutes, given the inevitable complications involved with a festival stage turnaround. After all, since he is a professional musician, and he is being paid to be there, he is technically at work. If anyone else in the real world were to turn up to work 2 hours late, not do what they were paid to do, and then give the excuse "I just didn't feel like it", we'd be fired on the spot. I do not understand why people think this is acceptable, let alone applaud it, when this sort of behaviour is prepetrated by a rock singer.

He's being paid to sing at a predetermined time, the promoter has read him the riot act to say that they won't take any of his crap, and I for one applaud Melvin Benn for that.

End of rant!!

And thank you... I know where the door is.

No. Sounds like a good time to play Double Talkin' Jive though. ;)

Only Slash can perform such a song ;)

..when Axl shows up, assuming he does show up, the whole audience should make 'tweat tweat' sounds..

Can you imagine.. :D

Edited by star

Geez.... I hope he's on time, but some people here act like if they were late it would fuck yp everything.

I was at the São Paulo concert, the 2nd biggest of this tour so far. I traveled more than 300 km, spent 40 minutes in the queue for the Dj Ashba Meet N' Greet, had a lunch around 12 AM and joined my friends on que queue to the concert, they were camping there 2 days before, and some people 7 DAYS BEFORE! After 5 hours, at 5pm on the queue the gates were opened, one of the opening acts were still doing soundcheck. We went to the toilet, and got our places, right on the front of the stage, then after 4 hours standing on the same place, playing cards with my friends and some other people there, at 8:30pm, the first opening act started their show. After them, the 2nd opening act played. And then +/- at 10PM Sebastian Bach started his concert(what a concert, holy shit), and after his great concert, everyone wanted to get the best spot to see GNR. 50,000 people behind me trying to take my place after 3 Rock concerts is not good. And after the 2nd opening act or so, the stadium ran out of water and food, so the firefighters began to do what they could with their water hose. And then, after more than 12 hours waiting, 3 hours from the baz concert, GNR started their concert, at 00:40. Then I forgot all the pain in my knees, in the feet, all the thirst! FUCK THAT! After all, Guns N' Roses played a concert, and that was all that matters, I would have gone throw much, MUCH more to see that epic concert again. All I wanted do that moment, and everyone on the stadium wanted to do, was jump and sing the GNR songs, they played the best concert I've ever seen (And I've already been to AC/DC, Metallica, Scorpions and many others), in every term, musically, production, everything, it was EPIC, HUGE. Yeah, I've been to many things to finally see GNR, but I knew it was gonna be like this, I don't know why people still complain. I mean, I know it's not right to do this, but people know Axl, he won't change, people don't change. It was the best day of my life, it was hard to stay there, but then Guns N' Roses.

And I didn't mention, and I don't know if you all know. During Chinese Democracy, right before the 2nd chorus, a cup of water hit Axl and he stopped the concert and said he was gonna leave. Instead of breaking everything, make a riot, bashing him or chanting SLASH, MOTHERFOCKER, or something like this, the whole stadium, 50 thousand people chanted "GUNS N' ROSES", Axl was pretty mad, but he gave a smile, said "Well, ladies and gentlemen, where were we?", and the music started again. It could have been one of the worst day of my life, but our attitude changed it to the best day. ;)

Edited by ManetsBR

Anybody else hoping Axl shows up late on Friday? He needs to stand down this silly Reading promoter/organizer. Part of Axl's appeal is that he shows up to work late and tells the boss to fuck off.

By that comment I assume you won't be at Reading then? He better bloody be near as dammit on time at Leeds on Sunday....

I won't be there but I was in Vancouver back in 02. At first I was bummed. Then I thought it was a vintage way to kick off a GNR tour. And finally I decided that we should get tickets for Tacoma the next night. Turned out to be a pretty fun couple of days.

why didnt i think of doing that???? Us Vancouver GNR fans are a rare bunch, this town does NOT like Axl at all!

Geez.... I hope he's on time, but some people here act like if they were late it would fuck yp everything.

Well, without putting too fine a point on it, it would. The organisers have set their stall out, saying that if they plan to play beyond their curfew due to coming on stage late, then it won't happen. So either you get a shorter set, no set at all, or a riot... with a riot being a very possible by-product of either scenario (late or no-show). You have to realise that there is a world outside of Guns N' Roses. Melvin Benn et al have been running this festival for years before GNR, and hopefully for many years after. They won't be thinking "wow, wouldn't it be great if we told Axl he couldn't play past 11:30pm, but then he DID(!), and it was a real hoot for everyone on MYGNR who wasn't actually there, and then maybe next year, there won't even be a festival AT ALL!!!! That would REALLY cause some controversy!!" [And also bring to an end the greastest festival in the UK - in my opinion]. Sure, it would suck for every other rock fan in the UK, not to mention the hundreds of bands that aspire to play there, but as long as every Axl fan-boy gets to say that he's uber-cool, where's the harm?

So no matter how much you may want to convince yourself that it's fine because it's just the way Axl is, or that he can be forgiven for coming on stage late because he won't change, then you are either a little short of grey-matter, or living in denial. Or maybe even too caught up in the 'aura of Axl' - much like the empathy hostages can feel towards their captors... Stockholm Syndrome I believe it is called.

I, like the majority of fans who attend concerts, will have spent most of their time working hard and saving money, so that when we have a little bit of spare time, we can enjoy ourselves and do something fun with the money that we have earnt. So why is it, that when we pay this money to watch someone else at work, they get to do just as they please? It's all well and good to pull the 'It's Axl'-card, but when people are contracted to be on stage at a certain time, and people will have made other costly arrangements (travel etc) to fit in with those plans, then the person they are essentially employing decides to turn up later than agreed, how do you think that sits with the employer - ie, the audience? When was the last time you went to the cinema, or a sports event, and the start was delayed? Event times are advertised so that the people responsible for financially facilitating the whole thing to go ahead - yep, that'll be those pesky audience members again - are able to go about the rest of their day/night knowing what the score is in terms of making their way home or finding somewhere to stay.

It's great if you've got nothing on the next day and live locally, but the majority of people will have to get up for work the following day, and get back to the monotonous grind of our daily jobs. But if you only got to do half of what you wanted the night before because some arsehole singer didn't come on stage until an hour before the last train or bus, then it does "fuck up everything" as you say.

Edited by andy-robertson

Well, without putting too fine a point on it, it would. The organisers have set their stall out, saying that if they plan to play beyond their curfew due to coming on stage late, then it won't happen. So either you get a shorter set, no set at all, or a riot... with a riot being a very possible by-product of either scenario (late or no-show). You have to realise that there is a world outside of Guns N' Roses. Melvin Benn et al have been running this festival for years before GNR, and hopefully for many years after. They won't be thinking "wow, wouldn't it be great if we told Axl he couldn't play past 11:30pm, but then he DID(!), and it was a real hoot for everyone on MYGNR who wasn't actually there, and then maybe next year, there won't even be a festival AT ALL!!!! That would REALLY cause some controversy!!" [And also bring to an end the greastest festival in the UK - in my opinion]. Sure, it would suck for every other rock fan in the UK, not to mention the hundreds of bands that aspire to play there, but as long as every Axl fan-boy gets to say that he's uber-cool, where's the harm?

So no matter how much you may want to convince yourself that it's fine because it's just the way Axl is, or that he can be forgiven for coming on stage late because he won't change, then you are either a little short of grey-matter, or living in denial. Or maybe even too caught up in the 'aura of Axl' - much like the empathy hostages can feel towards their captors... Stockholm Syndrome I believe it is called.

I, like the majority of fans who attend concerts, will have spent most of their time working hard and saving money, so that when we have a little bit of spare time, we can enjoy ourselves and do something fun with the money that we have earnt. So why is it, that when we pay this money to watch someone else at work, they get to do just as they please? It's all well and good to pull the 'It's Axl'-card, but when people are contracted to be on stage at a certain time, and people will have made other costly arrangements (travel etc) to fit in with those plans, then the person they are essentially employing decides to turn up later than agreed, how do you think that sits with the employer - ie, the audience? When was the last time you went to the cinema, or a sports event, and the start was delayed? Event times are advertised so that the people responsible for financially facilitating the whole thing to go ahead - yep, that'll be those pesky audience members again - are able to go about the rest of their day/night knowing what the score is in terms of making their way home or finding somewhere to stay.

It's great if you've got nothing on the next day and live locally, but the majority of people will have to get up for work the following day, and get back to the monotonous grind of our daily jobs. But if you only got to do half of what you wanted the night before because some arsehole singer didn't come on stage until an hour before the last train or bus, then it does "fuck up everything" as you say.

Couldn't agree more. And, I think it would be awesome if the show went on late and noone said a thing. Then, at the curfew time, the promoter pulled the plug and the stage went silent. That's it, folks..............good night!

Couldn't agree more. And, I think it would be awesome if the show went on late and noone said a thing. Then, at the curfew time, the promoter pulled the plug and the stage went silent. That's it, folks..............good night!

Then Axl will just cancel Leeds, 100%

And who will be to blame?

And who will be to blame?

My point exactly... This festival; every concert this band is booked to play; the audience etc. is (or at least should be) bigger than one man's ego and his predisposition to throwing a tantrum if he doesn't get his way. Oh boo-fucking-hoo, you have to go on stage when you're told to. How about the tens of thousands of people who have to adhere to the regulations such as buying extortionately priced alcohol in the arena because they can't bring their own booze in with them. Or the people who live in the surrounding area who have may not necessarily like music or festivals who have to put up with it for the sake of others' enjoyment every year.

Edited by andy-robertson

I'd imagine that show is a pretty nice paycheck and I'm sure they will be on time.

Who really knows. The fact that the so-called BOSS MAN singled Axl/GN'R out might be an issues.

I'm sure there will be a rant. =)

Edited by crashoride