Anybody else hoping Axl shows up late on Friday?

ITW 2012

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with this

He should go for it if it won't derail the rest of the tour

What, so you're happy to see one particular show go down the pan, just so you're beloved singer can be the big 'I am' to a promoter who was quite entitled to remind him of the situation regarding the curfew?

Nevermind the people that are going and might need to get home afterwards...

I'm starting to sound like a broken record of this subject, but then again, so are the fucking idiots who are clamouring for Axl to turn up late. There is absolutely NO reason to think anything good will come of it.

Stop idolising and trying to make excuses for one man's personality disorder that prevents him from starting show on time. I love the man as a singer and musician, but when shows are in jeopardy over the stupidest things, then it really pisses me off. Then to see people HOPING for this to happen makes me realise how sad some people are, that it's got to the stage where they want bad things to happen to other people, because anything else wouldn't be to Axl's liking.

People are fallible. Axl Rose is certainly fallible. Pull your heads out of your arses and wake up to the fact that he doesn't walk on water, and that this going on late thing is not cool, it is in fact very childish. Ask anybody at Reading/Leeds who they would side with: Melvin Benn or Axl Rose... I can pretty much guarantee you that it will Melvin Benn. Why? Because he's doing his best to make sure that the money paying audience get to see a full set, and get a festival again next year.

If any of you retards still think it's 'cool' or 'bad-ass' to go on stage late at Reading/Leeds, then you are either incredibly stupid, selfish, or more than likely both.

Edited by andy-robertson

For the record, even some people in the actual lineup don't think it's cool...at all... :no:

And some other VERY TALENTED guys left partly because of this kind of attitude.

But yeah, let's hope he shows up late because the drama is what keeps the board running !

Now, pray tell, what is cool about being 2 hours late ?

As Ron said, there's fashionably late and there's two hours late, and there is nothing even remotely cool about the latter.

For the record, even some people in the actual lineup don't think it's cool...at all... :no:

And some other VERY TALENTED guys left partly because of this kind of attitude.

But yeah, let's hope he shows up late because the drama is what keeps the board running !

Now, pray tell, what is cool about being 2 hours late ?

As Ron said, there's fashionably late and there's two hours late, and there is nothing even remotely cool about the latter.

Thank you and thank you andy_robertson.

I can't believe so many people here are so... childish. "Yeeaaaah Axl be late, be cool, tell EVERYBODY to fuck off, wooohoooo!"

No, just be a professional and give it all FOR YOUR FANS, not against some manager or whoever.

For the love of fucking Axl himself I hope they hit the stage on time and/or are done by 11:30 or so, because the last train from Reading to London leaves at 0110!

Reading station is at tops 20 mins walk...at most.

Yeah, but you've got to take into account getting out of the arena first, and then the fact that there will be swathes of people all making a b-line for the station, so there will inevitably be congestion. Probably be queues outside the station as well, as the police will try to keep people out of the actual 'station' bit until the trains have actually arrived, for quite understandable safety reasons... If there are hundreds of people trying to cram on to the platform as the train arrives, it's inevitable that there would be someone who fell off the edge, especially seeing as most of the people will have been drinking all day.

So, for everyone's sake, I hope they show up on time!!

No, just be a professional and give it all FOR YOUR FANS, not against some manager or whoever.

Judging by your avatar, I think you'd agree with me that the band that currently most embodies what you've detailed above are the mighty Pearl Jam.

I've been to 4 of their shows, and my first one happened to be at Reading Festival. They came on stage bang on time, made sure the crowd were ok, and the only time they stopped (albeit briefly) was when some people were being carried out over the front barrier, as they knew that if they kicked into the next song (which was Even Flow) then the place would go nuts, and people could quite easily have been hurt. Every other time I've seen them, they've never been more that 10 mins late on stage, and always play a 2 hours+ set, which is 25 SONGS, not 18 songs with a lot of tossing about in between.

All this from a band that are just as big (I'd now say bigger) than GN'R. It seems like everyone other band wants to get on stage as soon as they can and play a show for their fans, whereas one individual thinks otherwise.

If he really has this thing about waiting for ages or taking a long time to prepare, then the solution is quite simple - GET UP EARLIER. If I know I have a load of things to do the next day, or a deadline to meet, I make sure I manage my time and get my priorities straight. I've said it before and I'll say it again: any other line of work and this tardy behaviour would not be accepted.

Judging by your avatar, I think you'd agree with me that the band that currently most embodies what you've detailed above are the mighty Pearl Jam.

I've been to 4 of their shows, and my first one happened to be at Reading Festival. They came on stage bang on time, made sure the crowd were ok, and the only time they stopped (albeit briefly) was when some people were being carried out over the front barrier, as they knew that if they kicked into the next song (which was Even Flow) then the place would go nuts, and people could quite easily have been hurt. Every other time I've seen them, they've never been more that 10 mins late on stage, and always play a 2 hours+ set, which is 25 SONGS, not 18 songs with a lot of tossing about in between.

All this from a band that are just as big (I'd now say bigger) than GN'R. It seems like everyone other band wants to get on stage as soon as they can and play a show for their fans, whereas one individual thinks otherwise.

If he really has this thing about waiting for ages or taking a long time to prepare, then the solution is quite simple - GET UP EARLIER. If I know I have a load of things to do the next day, or a deadline to meet, I make sure I manage my time and get my priorities straight. I've said it before and I'll say it again: any other line of work and this tardy behaviour would not be accepted.

Agree with you about Pearl Jam, definitely one of the most professional acts around. Saw them at Hyde Park in London a couple of months ago and they were fantastic and were happy to stop or tell people to calm down and look after each other. Also, Pearl Jam gave a pretty long set although obviously not as long as usual. You know a band plays really long usually when people are saying 2 and a quarter hours is a short set. :lol:

At the end of the day it is very unprofessional to go on stage late, especially when all the other acts around manage to turn up on time. Although, I also want to see a GN'R show so I put up with it. But yeah I don't see why anybody would want him on stage late, whilst if you're not going hearing about what happened may be fun but if you've paid good money to go to this festival you want a full festival set. (I know I do)

I guess I dont understand what is "late"

If Axl has always come on stage whenever he is ready, and he tells the fans that, and he tells the promotors that(who's job it is to know about the bands they book and everyone knows Axl goes on when he's ready) then what is "late"?

And if we KNOW that he goes on when he wants, and thus doesnt come out when someone else wants him to, how can anyone be mad?

Whenever a friend gets mad at someone for doing something to them I always ask "Are you surprised" If the answer is "no" well then how the heck can you be mad? If you are not surprised by someone's actions, then the only one you can be mad at is yourself for expecting otherwise!

Axl says he goes on stage when he feels he is ready. And thats what he does. If you dont like it - dont go see him. Its just that simple! This is not a movie at the theatre! You are paying to see a man perform that publicly admits that he will not take the stage until he is ready. It doesnt matter if that is professional, or if that is what PJ does, or anyone else for that matter. You are paying to see him, and he will go on stage when he is ready JUST LIKE HE SAID HE WOULD. :rolleyes:

If you are not surprised by someone's actions, then the only one you can be mad at is yourself for expecting otherwise!

So your theory is that if someone is systematically being a dick, you can't be mad at him ?

How about the festival goers who aren't GnR fans but want to check the band out ? Those who haven't heard of Axl's habits of showing up late ? Fuck them ?

Finally, how about the bandmembers who actually want to be part of the band but who don't like being associated with the cancellations, postponments, no-shows etc ? Fuck them too ?

I mean...Axl lost Izzy, Slash, Buckethead partly because of this kind of "fuck them" attitude...Would you say "Fuck them, we've got DJ Ashba" ? What if Dj gets tired of this too ? Fuck him ?

Where does the "fuck them" spiral end ?

If Axl has always come on stage whenever he is ready, and he tells the fans that, and he tells the promotors that(who's job it is to know about the bands they book and everyone knows Axl goes on when he's ready) then what is "late"?

And if we KNOW that he goes on when he wants, and thus doesnt come out when someone else wants him to, how can anyone be mad?

We know GN’R aren’t punctual, but some countries are stricter than others with curfews. And GN'R know this. We aren't asking for punctuality, but something acceptable.

Agree with you about Pearl Jam, definitely one of the most professional acts around. Saw them at Hyde Park in London a couple of months ago and they were fantastic and were happy to stop or tell people to calm down and look after each other. Also, Pearl Jam gave a pretty long set although obviously not as long as usual. You know a band plays really long usually when people are saying 2 and a quarter hours is a short set. :lol:

Yeah, they're the perfect example! :) I've been to 3 shows, each of 'em sold out, each of 'em on time, each of 'em more than two and a half hours and I think 25+ songs. Great nights and I wish to see them again soon! Although I'm not here to compare, two totally different bands and two totally different experiences (although waiting for a fucked up long time certainly doesn't add to the experience).

Anway, can't wait for the idiots to pull the "lol whatevs, pearl jams music suxx0rs newayzzz" "argument". :)

Whenever a friend gets mad at someone for doing something to them I always ask "Are you surprised" If the answer is "no" well then how the heck can you be mad? If you are not surprised by someone's actions, then the only one you can be mad at is yourself for expecting otherwise!

So yeah, I suppose all The Allies could do in WWII would be to blame themselves...

I can just see Churchill and Roosevelt sat in the war room saying:

"Guys, Hitler has now invaded Russia... I'm a little bit pissed about this, but to be fair to him, he did previously march into Poland, and then across the majority of Western Europe, so it's not like it's the first time he's 'acted out'. I guess it's just 'his thing', so we're really the ones in the wrong here."

"Yeah, he's gone and done it again. But... he has done it before, so you can't say fairer than that..."

----------------------

Before gnfnr2006 jumps down my throat defending the indefensible with accusations that I'm comparing Axl Rose to a deranged dictator.... well, now I come to think of it... :rolleyes:

NO, I'm not likening him to Hitler, just reiterating the point that The Glow Inc. made, re: if someone is perpetually being an arse, it doesn't somehow make it right.

Edited by andy-robertson

Axl says he goes on stage when he feels he is ready. And thats what he does. If you dont like it - dont go see him. Its just that simple! This is not a movie at the theatre! You are paying to see a man perform that publicly admits that he will not take the stage until he is ready. It doesnt matter if that is professional, or if that is what PJ does, or anyone else for that matter. You are paying to see him, and he will go on stage when he is ready JUST LIKE HE SAID HE WOULD. :rolleyes:

Then on Friday when he is "ready" maybe he'll walk out on to a stage with no audience and the plug will already have been pulled. Sounds like I'm not the only one that has actually been to several shows and is taking your advice as to "dont go see him" anymore. Someone has already compared this mentality to the excuses made by someone in an abusive relationship so I won't bother going into that since it was posted and overlooked.

I think they will show on time.

If they failed to show on time, they could play a short set.

If they showed really late, and the plug is pulled, and there's no riot. That would be funny as fuck.

Picture's people wandering back to their tents, on time, for a good nights sleep, to have a good time for the rest of the festival :thumbsup:

I guess u can't be king of the jungle and perfectly punctual

I don't think they have curfews in the jungle.

Reading, do you know where you are?

Yes, we're just off the M4!

:lol:

that was so Monty Python.

any road blocks on the M4 yet?