Axl's Sit Down Protest

ITW 2012

Has anyone at all pondered a promoter agreeing to book a band that has an extensive (20+ years) history of going on stage late,in a headlining spot at an upcoming festival.THEN announcing several days in advance that if they go on stage late he's going to pull the plug on their set?

:lol: -jesus!

I think the real question is will a promoter ever do it again. Nice job, Axl.

Been reading that statement for years..

So has everybody. Its why he's a pariah in his own home country and can't tour there.

Spectacular.

Exactly. What a badass. :rolleyes:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

the other times they showed up late they weren't playing in an area with a strict curfew.

You have firm proof of that?

I'll give you but one example that states otherwise: Toronto 1991.

The organises on the other shows put on a show at a REASONABLE time so fans are completely inconvenienced. There wasn't a particular time they had to stop playing. GET IT?

actually...no :confused:

The promoter didn't "risk" anything, because he booked the band and said "be on time or I'll pull the plug"

You know we're talking about a band with a history of riots...right??

No risk??

They weren't [on time]..[so]he pulled the plug. No risk.

There was NO risk of a riot at a GnR concert because a promoter pulled the plug during their set...

Whatever you say man... :drevil:

Oh YAWN let's go through EVERY fucking tour date. You tedius cunt.

Let's just say the curfew can't have been THAT strict if they were allowed to carry on?

Hmm ok risk of riots:

1. This IS NOT a Gunners gig, it's a festival

2. They're not popular enough for people to be bothered enough to riot.

3. Most people are probably there for other bands and stopped by for GNR

Was there a risk of a riot? From the video clip of the crowd after the power was pulled it looked more like they were busy deciding where their tents were. Looked like they couldn't give a fuck from what I could see.

So the pomoter was aware of what Axl was like, and took precautions if he didn't show up on time.

Has anyone at all pondered a promoter agreeing to book a band that has an extensive (20+ years) history of going on stage late,in a headlining spot at an upcoming festival.THEN announcing several days in advance that if they go on stage late he's going to pull the plug on their set?

Thankfully a promoter finally had the balls and the rock n' roll "I don't give a fuck" attitude and pulled the plug. I mean, isn't that what people love about Axl? The promoter was just being rock n' roll as fuck.

So has everybody. Its why he's a pariah in his own home country and can't tour there.

Spectacular.

Yes,GnR can't tour the USA ever ever again because of tardiness issues!

The thing is, GN'R can tour here. If they played a club tour (places like Hammerstein/Warfield/The Joint), they would sell-out the entire tour. I for one, don't think that the every four years that they do tour in the States, they need to play arenas. Fuck arenas.

A 20 or so date tour hitting clubs in major cities would be successful, imo.

Axl doesn't want to admit that's the level he's at though

Money.

Who wants to take a pay cut?

I don't think you can equate it quite like that.

He could earn as much from a tour, but he would have to do more dates.

So it's more like working a bit harder when you're in the shit at work.... like making up for being off for 4 years.

Edited by Longpig

Spectacular.

That and the lack of interest in his constantly changing cover band, yes.

Spectacular.

Yeah that's it stretch the statement to try and make it more far-fetched.

They haven't toured the US in 2010, and I'm sure they would have if they could.

You know that deep down as well as the rest of us.

Demand is not what it was. Axl's unreliability and lateness is one of the factors.

Same for promoters, people might not want to book them also for the late shows because it's just a pain in the ass they don't need for 1/2 filled stadiums. You think venues like fines and complaints from fans?

LP

Edited by Longpig

Spectacular.

No GnR can't tour the USA ever again because most of their fans live in South America, England, and Australia.

Don't make the statement if you can't back it up.

Let's just say the curfew can't have been THAT strict if they were allowed to carry on?

They have been fined for playing late...outdoor shows...in cities...with curfews.

Most promoters are NOT willing to risk fan safety by stopping a band mid set.It's a fucking dangerous move to make.

Sensible promoters avoid it.

Hmm ok risk of riots:

Larger crowds...even greater risk of serious injury and widespread damage.

Well that's a sensible line of thinking for a promoter to follow. :confused:

probably...yes,let's rule out that thousands of drunken festival revellers probably wouldn't use anything as an excuse to riot.

Guess you missed out on Woodstock '99 where they tore the fucking place apart to voice their disapproval over high ticket/food/beverage prices.

Was there a risk of a riot? From the video clip of the crowd after the power was pulled it looked more like they were busy deciding where their tents were. Looked like they couldn't give a fuck from what I could see.

Unfortunately,promoters don't have a magic youtube seeing-glass that will assure them trouble won't happen if they stop a band mid-fucking-set.

So the pomoter was aware of what Axl was like, and took precautions if he didn't show up on time.

:lol: -precautions??

Axl's been showing up late and paying fines for over twenty years. This promoter is a douche and I hope he takes a piss bottle to the head. Sorry, maybe that was a bit harsh. I've been drinking. LOL

Edited by ITW 2012

Axl's been showing up late and paying fines for over twenty years. This promoter is a douche and I hope he takes a piss bottle to the head. Sorry, maybe that was a bit harsh. I've been drinking. LOL

I've been drinkin' too and you expressed my sentiments , espesially in this day of politacly correctness . At least there is 1 sob sticking to his guns . And yes i have been too a guns show , crossing oceans and spending a lot of dough with the risk of not seeing them , so don't even bother ...

They have been fined for playing late...outdoor shows...in cities...with curfews.

Most promoters are NOT willing to risk fan safety by stopping a band mid set.It's a fucking dangerous move to make.

Hmm ok risk of riots:

Larger crowds...even greater risk of serious injury and widespread damage.

Well that's a sensible line of thinking for a promoter to follow. :confused:

probably...yes,let's rule out that thousands of drunken festival revellers probably wouldn't use anything as an excuse to riot.

Guess you missed out on Woodstock '99 where they tore the fucking place apart to voice their disapproval over high ticket/food/beverage prices.

Unfortunately,promoters don't have a magic youtube seeing-glass that will assure them trouble won't happen if they stop a band mid-fucking-set.

:lol: -precautions??

I'm not sure there's any point talking to you, you're either too stupid or blindly in love with Axl to hear anything against him.

I'll have one last go, then we'll have to agree to differ.

Curfews I sort of did back it up.... yes they have been fined lots, but they can't have been AS STRICT rules/laws as reading if the other gigs carried on, and reading didn't. Ok? Surely you can't fail to understand that?

Toronto goes over = fines

Reading goes over = festival ends (or at least the promoter/festival believes that)

So there you have it... reading stops, others continue.... sort of proves which curfew is stronger, no?

Ok regarding riots.... there wasn't a riot, Riots I know happened were when Axl left the stage or didn't show up.

NOT because a promoter pulled the plug. I am not sure that's even happened before. BUT I'm guessing the crowd have been told the time the music stops and when bands need to finish by. So they don't get upset! I know I've known when I've been.

Also because Guns aren't in their hey-day anymore the chances are fans will be less fanatical, well at least the VAST majority. Therefore making a riot less likely. A point proven by the fact there was't a riot.

Woodstock 99.... ok great let's pull and unrelated festival from 11 years ago where people rioted about a completely different thing. My point is people care about the price of beer and food, but they don't care enough about GNR anymore. Money is hardly "any" excuse. So what's YOUR point?

And no promoters don't have a crystal ball to see into the future. But they use other factors and try and work out what is best. And well unplugging the show and predicting there ISN'T gonna be a riot was what they did. And it worked. So again, what's your point?

Yes Precautions. He told Axl if he wasn't on time he'd stop the show. It worked. The festival can carry on next year. Happy days.

I've been drinkin' too and you expressed my sentiments , espesially in this day of politacly correctness . At least there is 1 sob sticking to his guns . And yes i have been too a guns show , crossing oceans and spending a lot of dough with the risk of not seeing them , so don't even bother ...

Yes we've all been drinking! Aren't we clever! :xmasssanta:

So the promoter is "douche" (whatever that is), for booking one of your favourite bands to play. Which allows fans like you to see them and also allows Axl to make money to carry on this band. Yes he sounds like a right cunt to me. Kill him.

Whereas Axl who came on 1.5 hours late, kept fans waiting, broke an agreement, and shortchanged the fans by forcing the festival into actions which he was forwarned about is a fucking hero.

Well done lads.

I hate curfew restrictions, drinking restrictions, smoking laws, drug laws, and all other restrictions of freedom that governments and corporations have pushed on us. Axl is the antithesis of all that bullshit and I'm glad he's still out there representing the immoral majority. I hope Leeds is burned to the ground if they don't let Axl play there after the sit down protest.

you are dumb

So no fault of Axl's had there been a riot? Axl didn't risk fan safety by not playing when they were supposed to play?

Yes we've all been drinking! Aren't we clever! :xmasssanta:

So the promoter is "douche" (whatever that is), for booking one of your favourite bands to play. Which allows fans like you to see them and also allows Axl to make money to carry on this band. Yes he sounds like a right cunt to me. Kill him.

Whereas Axl who came on 1.5 hours late, kept fans waiting, broke an agreement, and shortchanged the fans by forcing the festival into actions which he was forwarned about is a fucking hero.

Well done lads.

It's friday night , cry me a river and while your at it don't put your panties in a bunch . I would suggest some relaxation and enjoyment . Being more clever than the next pussy on a forum is not my priority .

/THREAD

hahahaha...you make the best point of all. I dunno there's two very good sides to the coin one is what you just stated but the other is...why is it so hard for this band to show up late. How many other bands show up late to reading and leeds? I agree but incidents like tonite are a major reason why people side with slash and hate axl...I love Axl as much as anyone and will always support the hell out of the guy but, nights like tonight being a dick just for the sake of pushing fans away because you can't mentally deal with how big of a star you've gotten, is just sick.

He shows up late...no touring promo. No chinese promo, no music videos...like cmon a video for better a FULL VIDEO not a 30 second clip of the band live tells me he doesn't want this band to do THAT well. That's a discuission for another time though lol...

its dissapointing for sure...frustrating too. No wonder so many people hated chinese democracy before it even came out.

Well done lads.

Its like the Bizzaro world here sometimes. Up is down, down is up.

These "dude, he's so rock n roll" comments are as forced as Axl trying to be a phony tough badass at this point in his life.

To a first hand observer, which I was earlier tonight, it looked to be more a stay of disbelief. Axl couldn't believe his sound had been pulled and that the set couldn't end as intended. I mean c'mon, a GN'R concert with out the Paradise City ending with the ticker tape?!

What would have really interested me would have been to hear everything Axl was saying when he fist reemerged after throwing the mic and disappearing at the end of Nightrain. He was made to look like more of a fool, because he kept talking yet nothing was being heard from him what-so-ever through the PA.

To Axl's credit I guess he must have felt some sort of obligation to the fans for the set being cut short by hopping off the stage and running up and down the fence. However insignificant this might seem to some, it really made my night and that of plenty of others standing around me at the fence. I mean how often does Axl ever engage in crowd interaction?!

To Axl's credit I guess he must have felt some sort of obligation to the fans for the set being cut short by hopping off the stage and running up and down the fence. However insignificant this might seem to some, it really made my night and that of plenty of others standing around me at the fence. I mean how often does Axl ever engage in crowd interaction?!

While true, what would have made more people's night was him getting his shit together and growing up. It serves more people to just do your fucking job.

I'm not sure there's any point talking to you, you're either too stupid or blindly in love with Axl to hear anything against him.

I guess I'm going to have to ask you to point out exactly where in this thread I've defended Axl Rose.

I made a comment about the promoter and you decided to have a go at me,with complete utter crap.

I'm glad you admitted to having been drinking,because you're all over the fucking place here.

Curfews I sort of did back it up.... yes they have been fined lots, but they can't have been AS STRICT rules/laws as reading if the other gigs carried on, and reading didn't. Ok? Surely you can't fail to understand that?

You said there were NO curfews in other cities where they played late...you were wrong.

Toronto goes over = fines

Reading goes over = festival ends (or at least the promoter/festival believes that)

If you honestly believe Reading would end forever because Guns n Roses played an hour late...well...heh.

Reality would dictate that local councils would take into consideration local revenue intake,and I think you would find that GnR in fact,would not have shut down Reading forever.But hey,that's just me throwing a wild random statement out there...much like yourself.

So there you have it... reading stops, others continue.... sort of proves which curfew is stronger, no?

Only thing it shows is that you're rambling and have proven nothing.

Ok regarding riots.... there wasn't a riot, Riots I know happened were when Axl left the stage or didn't show up.

NOT because a promoter pulled the plug. I am not sure that's even happened before. BUT I'm guessing the crowd have been told the time the music stops and when bands need to finish by. So they don't get upset! I know I've known when I've been.

fawk...seriously...I'm supposed to respond to that?

I'd tell you about a concert (not GnR) where a riot occurred because the plug was pulled during the bands' set.But I know you don't want to hear it,and the would just make me a tedious cunt right? :)

Also because Guns aren't in their hey-day anymore the chances are fans will be less fanatical, well at least the VAST majority. Therefore making a riot less likely. A point proven by the fact there was't a riot.

There's been a non-hey day riot or two no?

Regardless,is that any reason to risk a riot by pulling the plug on a band?

Woodstock 99.... ok great let's pull and unrelated festival from 11 years ago where people rioted about a completely different thing. My point is people care about the price of beer and food, but they don't care enough about GNR anymore. Money is hardly "any" excuse. So what's YOUR point?

The point is drunken pack mentality happens at concerts,anything can spark it...including a promoter pulling the plug on a band,regardless of who the band is.

And no promoters don't have a crystal ball to see into the future. But they use other factors and try and work out what is best. And well unplugging the show and predicting there ISN'T gonna be a riot was what they did. And it worked. So again, what's your point?

Again,my point...oh wise one..is..for any promoter to book ANY band with a notorious history of fan melee's over the span of its career,with a known track record of unpredictability,to headline a Friday night festival that will be filled with revellers where many of whom have been drinking all day and are hardly in their best state of better judgement.;to then further rattle that band's cage by PUBLICLY announcing that said promoter will shut down that band IN THE MIDDLE OF THEIR CONCERT if they don't comply to his rules,therefore risking a situation where audience saftey may be IN ANY WAY at risk that said promoter is in no way capable of predicting otherwise...is a bloddy fucking reckless fool.

Yes Precautions. He told Axl if he wasn't on time he'd stop the show. It worked. The festival can carry on next year. Happy days.

That was one dangerous precaution...good thing it didn't go the other way huh?

Wouldn't want to see any more British GnR fans trampled to death in a festival setting.

But hey...the festival gets to carry on next year.Happy Days.