Official Leeds thread

axl_on_drums

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was something quite poetic about the scene, the last glimmer of sunlight over the forest to the west, the sky a radiant blue fading to deep navy, the stars just beginning to prick the skyline, the air of expectation of the people sitting around fires at the back of the arena, the guys and girls openly taking a piss in the middle of the crowd etc. :P

That was beautiful.

What a great review. Thanks!

When I walked out of Leeds I thought the performance spoke for itself, but having read the number of criticisms I felt compelled to write this.

So like many of you guys I bought tickets purely for Gn’R. I’ve been listening since the UYI’s came out and had yet to see the band live. I was too young to see them then and in 2002 was one of those misguided fools who didn’t think that new musicians could match the old. Ironically I absolutely love Buckethead’s contribution to the band – particularly the Boston 02 Nightrain solo. CD really rejuvenated my interest in the band to borderline obsessive levels, so I was pretty excited for Leeds.

I made sure I was at the front for the end of QOTSA and watched the road crew set up the stage. From what I could make out it was the crew that were late in finishing, the band came on shortly after. Chinese Democracy was a really strong opener, the whole light show was very effective and the song was much more powerful live than on record imo. Axl was in good voice and I was surprised with his energy. The band was a very cohesive unit and their musicianship was second to none. But then Axl always picks sublime musicians even if they wear buckets on their heads ;)

The mix was ok, although at the front the vocals got a little drowned out by the crowd. The classics were excellent as usual, although the highlights for me were CD, Sorry and This I love. I quite enjoyed the solo interludes as they balanced the show out and allowed the musicians to really showcase their styles.

With Gn’R being the soundtrack to most of my life, it was strangely emotional to see them live. I’d watched loads of videos on youtube to get an idea of the shows, but regardless of the quality nothing compares to actually being there. My expectations were completely exceeded.

I find the cheap shots in the media quite incredible – from the wannabe online journalist to the respectable broadsheets. Sure I’m biased as I’m a fan, but seriously if they were that bad why did so many people turn up to watch them and continue to do so around the world?

Anyway that’s my cathartic rant. If you weren’t there check out This I love on youtube... mindblowing.

If one was reading NME (which changed the writers rating from 8/10 to 6/10 for Reading), Billboard, Spinner, Gigwise, and the 100 other reviews (most of which are just regurgitating a few nasty reviews), one would have thought GNR's performance at Leeds was the worst show in the history of rock n' roll. It's so sad that the media is slandering the bands performance last night--from all 1st hand accounts, it was incredible! Amazing how ridiculous the media is, and how easily they all seem to be brainwashed into writing the same thing. Most of the writers reviewing Leeds keep repeating the report that "most of the crowd left during GNR", but from all accounts on the ground and pictures, it was actually the highest attended show of the weekend at Leeds and completely packed. The media, and these other corporate rock bands dissing GNR, are total frauds and pretenders!

Edited by Cockaroachsoup80

If one was reading NME (which changed the writers rating from 8/10 to 6/10 for Reading), Billboard, Spinner, Gigwise, and the 100 other reviews (most of which are just regurgitating a few nasty reviews), one would have thought GNR's performance at Leeds was the worst show in the history of rock n' roll. It's so sad that the media is slandering the bands performance last night--from all 1st hand accounts, it was incredible! Amazing how ridiculous the media is, and how easily they all seem to be brainwashed into writing the same thing. Most of the writers reviewing Leeds keep repeating the report that "most of the crowd left during GNR", but from all accounts on the ground and pictures, it was actually the highest attended show of the weekend at Leeds and completely packed. The media, and these other corporate rock bands dissing GNR, are total frauds and pretenders!

Agreed. A quick look around the various festival forums shows that the GNR were almost universally liked at Leeds. Yet, if you read the press they were apparently the worlds shittest band with a tiny crowd. Meanwhile Arcade Fire had about five people watching them headline and got booed when mentioned on Sunday, no-one mentions anything about it.

I've no problem if reviewers don't like GNR, but for fucks sake give them some credit in the fact that they pleased the majority.

I think GNR should stop going to those places.

Azazel's Review - Guns N' Roses, Leeds Festival 2010

Build-up

I'd seen more GN'R t-shirts at Download Festival earlier this year than I did whilst walking through the probable 80,000 in attendance at Leeds Festival, and it was arguably a fair reflection of what Leeds Festival go-ers thought of the band. A fair few had little to no interest whatsoever (this is a predominantly indie festival though). But there was plenty of opportunity to impress with those fans who had "only heard SCOM, Jungle & PC" not knowing what to expect of the band.

My spirits were raised though when I met a GNR-addict from HTGTH whilst buying a T-shirt and from around 5pm onwards, more and more of the GN'R faithful would appear around the main stage. There was certainly an element of tension in the air though and I found myself checking Twitter for updates probably once every 10 minutes. Until DJ posted, there was a feeling that anything could happen. But the band could not afford a missed opportunity at this largely spoon-fed crowd.

Queens Of The Stone Age, whilst technically adept, reminded me of seeing Radiohead in Manchester a couple of years ago. The vibe was non-existent, whilst even the Lostprophets had the crowd going a couple of hours previous, especially with a unexpected verse from Sweet Child O' Mine. Even QOTSA classic 'no one knows' failed to ignite the crowd (those beyond the tower at least) in the way that was expected.

9PM - No Guns. And nobody would of give a fuck if the events of Reading hadn't already unfolded. Others seemed genuinely more interested in finding better ways to pass the time, be that with chinese lanters, starting fires just in front of the main stage, or starting fights.

A band being late to the stage is a common occurence. In fact, of the plethora of gigs I've been to in the last decade, i'd bet more were late than were on time. Aerosmith at Download? 30-40mins late. Foo Fighters at Manchester? 45mins late. Muse at Birmingham? 40mins late. It's normal. And hell, if you go to a Festival for punctuality and professionalism, you need to re-think a few things. Coming on an hour or two late is indefensible, and undoubtedly unprofessional. But its also a non-issue for most fans of the act they are waiting to see, and generally results from the band wanting to give the best show possible.

We did get a few "Where the **** is Axl Rose" chants starting about 9.15 which was 15 minutes after their "scheduled" start time. You could tell that the chanting was in jest and just a bit of fun because come 9.30 the place went nuts. (malbowski – HTGTH)

The chants and inevitable, but subdued booing from the crowd was almost a nod to Reading, or if not, then it was in anticipation of a much longer wait from those who had read some stuffz on the interwebz. It was fine, laughable, short-lived and it was this same minority which would later be chanting "Axl...Axl...Axl" and waiting on the band's every move.

Performance

There's not much to say here that hasnt already been said. They were phenomenal, no doubt.

Axl was better in the flesh than I had ever anticipated when scowering the forums after every live event. The crowd really responded to him using his full vocal range, each change in pitch and every rasp or scream met with sheer delight and cheering from the crowd. Thats right, this indie-loving, disinterested crowd were applauding with amazement as Axl did his best to replicate and enhance the customary screams found on the albums.

The crowd reaction could best be gagued from the transition between Chinese Democracy and WTTJ. CD was met with fairly warm applause as the band sounded great, tight and cohesive. The lead guitars where they should be, with the rest of the track and not mapped above it. But, as its not the most demanding track for our frontman, the crowd were still figuring it all out, looking at Axl like you a kid tentatively edging his way towards the long legged-blond looking right at him. Needless to say, the place went fucking crazy for WTTJ. Every man, woman a child was left in doubt, Axl was as good as they'd never dared imagine.

A quick look around the various festival forums shows that the GNR were almost universally liked at Leeds. Yet, if you read the press they were apparently the worlds shittest band with a tiny crowd. (axldavies – Mygnr)

Even the songs from CD which followed were met with greater respect, the masses able to better recognise Axl's ability, DJ's soulful (yes, I said it) lead parts and Bumblefoot's edgier, uncompromising licks. The band were on fire. DJ gained a lot of respect from the crowd, who finally seemed to almost recognised that this is Guns N' Roses, like it or not. And they did like it. Ashba jumped down from the stage to greet the crowd, his Ballad Of Death well-recieved by those who recognise the abilities of a guitarist. Bumblefoot's Pink Panther was equally well recieved, whilst elsewhere, and especially on NR, his fills and solo's were simply sublime. Richard and Frank meanwhile, helped best showcase the spirit of the band.

I've never seen a guitarist with more energy than Fortus on Sunday, such enthusiasm and drive that was really audible on the stand-out tracks. Frank meanwhile was essential throughout, seeming to be having a great time and helped rally the crowd (not that it was much needed) on various occasions.

There was absolutely nothing bad they could have written about this show (Karin_Sixx – CDForum)

I could spend all day writing about what each member brought to the table. Perhaps the best compliment I can give is that I wouldnt swap this line-up for any other, though I respect the different styles each line-up reflect. This lot have never seemed more of a band than now, appearing to be totally galvanised and united - something which enhances the on-stage chemistry and crowd recognition that this isnt the 80s any more.

Guns N' Roses played a full set at Leeds Festival and had left a 80,000+ crowd impressed and in awe as they saw one of the few Rock N' Roll bands still performing at their best.

Axl Rose, and Guns N' Roses, are the real fucking deal.

Sky news are still reporting about AXL and his war with the promoters, they will have a short feature on it tonight at 7pm if anyones interested.

I hear that the independent, a national newspaper in the UK has a full page article likening AXL with Gazza, a fat has been that cant sing etc.. (gazza was a famous 90s footballer for England that is now an alcoholic...)

The negative shit just keeps getting better and better!

This is kind of what I thought in 09 in Taiwan, that the band were immense and as they gone around the world it just kept on at the same level, now they are rocking festivals it surreal in a way. Everything about the show is on another level

I read in a local paper article that they went on 1 1/2 hours at Leeds, unless there was some kind of crazy timewarp and a whole hour and a half got crammed in between 9 and half past I fail to see how this was possible. At least the article was positive in that it said the performance was great and "All was forgiven" when they launched into the set...

I read in a local paper article that they went on 1 1/2 hours at Leeds, unless there was some kind of crazy timewarp and a whole hour and a half got crammed in between 9 and half past I fail to see how this was possible. At least the article was positive in that it said the performance was great and "All was forgiven" when they launched into the set...

lol, wish being a reporter was my job, they appear to be able to write whatever the fuck they want, accurate or not.

The show lasted 2 hours. The band were on stage 5 mins after the stage was finished being set for them. This is not late.

FUCK THE PROMOTERS.