Will other promoters start imposing their will on Axl after this weekend's events?

Naupis

I was thinking about it, but now that they managed to tame Axl for the Leeds show by calling his bluff at Reading and pulling the plug, will other promoters join the party in the future by calling Axl out ahead of time because it did get him on stage in a timely fashion for Leeds tonight.

If people threaten to pull the plug on him, and follow through, it kind of forces his hand about the going on stage on time issue as people will stop buying tickets for Guns shows in the future if they know they will get shortened sets because the plug is being pulled because Axl refuses to come on stage on time.

Does anyone else think seeing the success of Leeds that promoters will feel emboldened to impose their will on Axl in the future? Clearly he was infuriated following Leeds, but he did capitulate ultimately tonight so it worked. I wonder if others will try it as well now.

I was thinking about it, but now that they managed to tame Axl for the Leeds show by calling his bluff at Reading and pulling the plug, will other promoters join the party in the future by calling Axl out ahead of time because it did get him on stage in a timely fashion for Leeds tonight.

If people threaten to pull the plug on him, and follow through, it kind of forces his hand about the going on stage on time issue as people will stop buying tickets for Guns shows in the future if they know they will get shortened sets because the plug is being pulled because Axl refuses to come on stage on time.

Does anyone else think seeing the success of Leeds that promoters will feel emboldened to impose their will on Axl in the future? Clearly he was infuriated following Leeds, but he did capitulate ultimately tonight so it worked. I wonder if others will try it as well now.

No, the promoter for Reading and Leeds said he will book them again--this was in an interview after both shows a few hours ago. Shit, the drew over 88,000 people on the last night of the festival, and Reading had record sales---I would reckon GNR has something to do with that! Like them or not, promoters like ticket sales more than anything, and GNR is still a huge draw in the UK. Their UK tour in 2006 was a huge success, and they played to over 170,000 people this weekend.

I would be suprised if other promoters didn't start giving Axl ultimatiums when it comes to start times.

It worked here. So why not?

Also, I wouldn't be suprised if this little fiasco ( threatening to pull the plug), somehow involved Azoff.

Whose to say a little bird didn't whisper in the Reading/Leeds promoters ear.......maybe not telling him what to do, but maybe giving him an "idea."

Azoff has so many connections, it wouldn't suprise me if he didn't use some his "friends" to make Axl's life a living hell.

Perhaps, this is all part of his plan.

Also, I wouldn't be suprised if this little fiasco ( threatening to pull the plug), somehow involved Azoff.

Whose to say a little bird didn't whisper in the Reading/Leeds promoters ear.......maybe not telling him what to do, but maybe giving him an "idea."

Azoff has so many connections, it wouldn't suprise me if he didn't use some his "friends" to make Axl's life a living hell.

i also agree. some reviews have been blatantly biased. im ok with criticism and negative reviews, but the few i read were unreasonable.

axl picked the wrong fight haha.

azoff vs. axl could get interesting.

i also agree. some reviews have been blatantly biased. im ok with criticism and negative reviews, but the few i read were unreasonable.

Ditch the conspiracy theories guys. What SunnyDRE fails to comprehend is that Azoff is under the DOJ's gaze right now, not just from Axl. Azoff would not risk getting involved in manipulating a situation where there was a formal contract, like in this case, for good or ill, because it could very well come back to haunt him.

And no, other promoters will not do anything over this. First, whether you believe him or not, this individual said he'd book them again. Second, most promoters don't care about the late start times so long as the band sells enough tickets for them to profit. GN'R just added a 2nd night in London. They're still a big enough draw and money talks. Even if a few try - there's always someone willing to book a show. Promotions is a fluid business.

Ditch the conspiracy theories guys. What SunnyDRE fails to comprehend is that Azoff is under the DOJ's gaze right now, not just from Axl. Azoff would not risk getting involved in manipulating a situation where there was a formal contract, like in this case, for good or ill, because it could very well come back to haunt him.

I'm aware of that.

What you, kyrie, fail to comprehend is Obama is one of Azoff's best buddies.

Edited by SunnyDRE

I would be suprised if other promoters didn't start giving Axl ultimatiums when it comes to start times.

It wouldn't surprise me if other promoters gave Axl a similar ultimatum but i think your reading into the Azoff thing wayyy too much. For a guy that hates this new band you sure waste a whole lot of time thinking up of theories and schemes...

There is a difference between "speculating" and a "conspiracy theory."

It wouldn't surprise me if other promoters gave Axl a similar ultimatum but i think your reading into the Azoff thing wayyy too much. For a guy that hates this new band you sure waste a whole lot of time thinking up of theories and schemes...

I don't hate this band (I didn't join the board for Anything Goes :rolleyes: )

I don't like CD.

Edited by SunnyDRE

I doubt it.

The main problem here was the curfews and city councils. It was more than just the promoter turning off the power it was the councils saying the power has to go off now or else. And I think I read the police were at Leeds. You can't really go against that. Festivals have huge restrictions arenas don't. Rightly or wrongly. Personally, I don't see why they couldn't have just done the two songs at Reading, it was ridiculous but that's English local government for you! At the end of the day if it was just the promoter imposing the curfew Axl would have paid the late fees and the band would have had a full set.

I mean at arenas Axl is fined if he's late but paying up doesn't seem to bother him. He just pays up and plays as late as he wants, the show goes ahead as planned. Because at arena/indoor shows the councils don't usually get involved. This festival won't change Axl or promoters of other non festival shows at all.

Whether or not Guns will do Reading/Leeds again who knows? Although I'm doubting that in eight years we'll get another Reading/Leeds show.

If they dont ..then they should.

True for any band. Then they should fine/lien them/GNR something like 10,000 every minute they choose (key word is choose) to play over.And/ Or fine them that amount every minute they are late getting on stage..cut in pay/lien. If the ticket says 9pm they damn well better move heaven and earth to get on stage at 8:59 and be ready to play. No excuses. Opening acts clear your shit out or youll be fined too. Hire on extra people if you have too...it will be cheaper than the fine/lien.

Sounds fucked up and harsh but hey man its only good common business sense. Vancouver and Philidephia was caused by this kind of shit attitude "ill be there when I get there if i feel like getting there at all" Dont like the terms? dont play our fucking festivle. Simple. got extra cash laying around then by all means play your games..its only money. Start a fucking riot ..thats only money too..temper tantrums be damned. Your not fucking royalty your fucking professional muscians. Personally i dont give a shit about celebrity...what was it that was said.. :"You can have anything you want but you better not take it from me?

Oh by the way all you that say "its Rock and roll dude..its supposed to be rebellious...this isnt rebelious -spontanious- move the world with a song kind of shit at all..its one corporation doing business with another corporation. My lawyers and managers with your lawyers and managers. Ill get the hall and security and provide promotion you provide the music -we both make money. I pay my people ..you pay your people. Audience leaves with the goods delivered. Simple.

in the real world if I was a promtor i have contracted X band to play for x amount of dollars at x time for x amount of time with certain and rightful expectations of doing business with them asper contract- why should I tolerate any deviation from the contract? . How m any times i could tell you my band got stiffed by bar owners and venues who said "I'll pay you when I decide to pay you" that is akin to the band saying Ill play when we decide to play??

If Ive hired them to deliver the goods. Hired them to entertain a crowd of people. They are not doing me a favor cuz I have to pay them (and pay them well), security, rent, electricity, my people- the city, taxes ect...GNR dont come cheap and they -riding on 90's fame and glory- still have a name to draw a crowd in to see the the show thats why it was good business to HIRE them . Its not a charity game it is a speculative business deal.