Lostprophets call Axl and GNR a joke

bangit

Makes perfect sense...hey Axl, it isn't 1992 anymore. That would've NEVER happened back in the UYI days but that was 18 years ago. You'd think he'd have gotten most of the asshole out of his system by now but I guess not.

yeah no one would ever come out in the press and badmouth axl / gnr if this was 1992.

whos this kurt cobain? name sounds familiar.

Edited by Jackie Moon

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And for the first time in my 8 years on the forum......I'm in a topic where I have 100% agreement with Sweetness, Moreblack and Conor.

Unfortunately, most of the music world agrees with this bass player. I will always be a die-hard fan of Axl's. I will buy the next CD. And I will go to more concerts. But aside from die-hard GnR fans......most people think of Axl and this current lineup as a bit of a joke. That is the sad truth, some fans on here just can't accept it.

And I think that is extremely sad, because I LOVE almost all of Chinese Democracy. I put Better, SOD, This I love, Catcher, Twat, Prostitute up there with all the Illusions songs. I think some more interviews, a video or two, a song on a movie soundtrack for teens/young adults (If the world is a great song, but the Leo movie was for older people), a couple live performances on Kimmel/Letterman/etc and I think that once the general music population was exposed to the album, it could have been huge. It should have been huge.

There's a difference though, between the thousand axlhaters that you have argued with on this forum, and the so-called music world. Axlhaters IMO and btw, is a totally inaccurate characterization. I'll do my best to describe where I'm coming from here...

When people on this forum lash into Axl it's either coming from a reunion perspective or a wanting to see the new band do better perspective. Whether these people want a reunion or just for the new band to be more productive, they all want Axl as the frontman and they all wish GN'R to flourish. No one here questions how awesome a performer Axl is and can be. But when someone outside the fan base rips into him, I don't know, it kind of rubs me the wrong way. I can be critical of Axl because we all know the score here and we discuss GN'R. We get deep into the band, it's what we do. But when someone barely knows anything and they rip him, I say "do you know who the hell you are talking about? That's Axl fuckin' Rose, show some respect!" :lol: But hopefully you see what I'm getting at. When Bon Jovi criticizes what Axl has done, he's entitled to his opinion and the right to state it but it's kind of a joke. Like, what have you done lately Jon boy? If Axl put out watered down rubbish like you usually do he'd have cause to be very embarrassed. I'd rather he not and show up two hours late to any GN'R show I go see, thank you very much! And reviewers...I've given up on reviewers giving the band any due. Some get it and give them credit, but I just get the feeling that most hate Axl going in and nothing will change their minds. How many great shows have we seen get awful reviews? On this forum you'll truly know if the band put on a good show or not. If we love the show we will say so proudly, but people will also be critical (of things like Axl's voice or Finck's guitar playing, etc.).

In a nutshell, all too often an outsider's criticism will come from pre-conceived notions of GN'R and Axl and even some kind of agenda, while an insider's criticism will come from a love for the band and frustration in seeing way too many years and opportunities when Axl was still in his prime fall by the wayside. When someone who actually loves the performer becomes critical then that should be taken a lot more seriously.

Edited by KBear

Guest Apollo

Good point jackie. Its like that with families and friends too. We give our friends and family members breaks that we don't give strangers.

You know I'm as big of an axl fan as anybody. I've been defending him on this forum and in real life for over 20 years. But in this case, I agree with this bass player (even tho I have never heard of him). Axl needs to kick ass and make headlines with the music - and not with the lame ass non-music stuff. I guess some fans on her like it, which I don't understand. I want the music to be what people are talking about. Not that the band was late, got the plug pulled on them, and axl protested by sitting down and throwing a tantrum. I'm here for the music .....not the side-show bs.

you guys are so fucked up it untrue, one word by anyone against axl and its "well they fucking suck balls cause they hate my bum-fuck buddy axl". Bullshit, GN'R turned up 1 hour late, who else does that? No one and because of that I could see Paradise City or Better, well I was there and I was pretty pissed of so what they said was true. And before you slag off a band ACTUALLY LISTEN TO THEIR MUSIC (Its a thought eh?) Cause I'd never heard of the Lostprofits before reading and thought they were one of the better live bands (better than QOTSA any-ways).

Good point jackie. Its like that with families and friends too. We give our friends and family members breaks that we don't give strangers.

You know I'm as big of an axl fan as anybody. I've been defending him on this forum and in real life for over 20 years. But in this case, I agree with this bass player (even tho I have never heard of him). Axl needs to kick ass and make headlines with the music - and not with the lame ass non-music stuff. I guess some fans on her like it, which I don't understand. I want the music to be what people are talking about. Not that the band was late, got the plug pulled on them, and axl protested by sitting down and throwing a tantrum. I'm here for the music .....not the side-show bs.

That's exactly what he has been doing on this tour. Great reviews in Canada and other countries. In fact he did it at Reading too, when he turned a booing crowd into a crowd singing Paradise City. Everyone who went to the shows was saying it was awesome. Not just on here. Look around the videos on youtube and comments on the BBC page. People loved the show. It's not his fault if reviewers are biased and ignore that part of the show. Of course these kinds of things are always going to get the most press in the media.

Boring? I tell you what was fucking boring... their set!

Seriously, I stood there and checked my phone, itched my ass, burped and then looked at chics in the crowd for their entire set. Absolute shite, can't see what anyone sees in them. A bunch of nomark ratards who think they're something that they most definitely are not. I mean, who wears a tank top with their own bands name (and names of individual members) on during one of their shows?

And these are just yet more people jumping on the "let's slag" GN'R bandwagon. Oh let's slag Axl and GN'R and we might get some more airtime and fans, wahhhh.

Muppet.

picture3wt.png

Isn't that the GnR logo on the back of the jacket? :o

I'd honestly never heard of the "Lostprophets" until the other day. GNR are giving them free promotion.

To be honest they do not need GNR for promotion. They are pretty established by this point. They are Welsh (I think) and these were British festivals so they definitely did not need to insult Axl to get promotion over here. They are terrible though.

They're pretty gash. They headlined Donington back in 2008 on the Sunday night but I went to see Cavalera Conspiracy instead. Much more appropriate. I suppose though that festival organisers need to book bands like that as they'll attract a lot of kids with their trendy t-shirts and floppy haircuts. The amusing thing about it is although the guy thinks he's smart by mouthing off, Axl probably has no idea who he is.

I get that a lot of you are on the defense at the moment, but do you not think that Axl has kind of invited this on himself? I know you all think he's a rock star and turning up an hour late on stage is really 'rock and roll', but the reality is that having a "I don't give a shit if I keep people waiting" attitude really is not a vital part of what makes someone a good rock star or performer. And if he's genuinely honest that he thinks that fans were let down because they didn't get to play the full set, then he needs to stop blaming other people and do what 99% of other performers do, and turn up on time. Just because it's an outdoor event doesn't mean they don't have to be strict with curfews - the same would happen in arenas or theatres over here in the UK - where you also have the added issue of people relying on public transport to get home.

In terms of Lostprophets' comments about the band, I understand where they are coming from. I don't think they were saying the band were a joke as musicians, I think they were saying it was a joke calling it G'N'R. And to a large extent they're right. It's no more G'N'R than what Slash is doing really. I saw Chris Cornell a couple of years ago and him and his band played a load of Soundgarden stuff, but they were not Soundgarden, what is the difference?

I'm clearly a GNR fan.

I'm not a Lostprophets fan.

Some of you are fucking idiots.

Lostprophets are bigger than every member of NuGnR excluding Axl, whether you like them or not. I've no idea if they're known in USA or not, but that's irrelevant in regards to this. If they'd defended Axl, you'd all be saying about how cool they are.

You're fucking pathetic.

No you're point and reasoning are pathetic. Yeah, fans would say they are cool then, for at least they would be showing respect for the HEADLINER who's fans they get to play to.

As to them being bigger there, then Dizzy or DJ as you say, I'd have to conclude if they were so huge they would be headlining! Now, if they were the headliner and the opening act (Guns) was late he'd have a great point. Fact is it's not disrespectful to the other bands if Axl was late at all, they already played!!! They should again just appreciate the GnR fans that showed up for them to play to. No I never heard of them here, USA, that's not to say their not famous here though... who knows. But if people were checking their phone messages and getting frappacino's during the set, well that says it all. Oh, also they weren't the headliner, that says it all too.

Okay, if you take Axl out of NuGNR and put Bumblefoot on vocals, at this stage, Lostprophets would be higher on the bill.

And this is coming from a big Guns N' Roses, and Bumblefoot fan. It's just a simple fact. Just because I like this band doesn't mean I have to rape logic.

Eh? You're not raping logic, I just don't get what logic you're using.

If you take Axl out of GNR, they'll fall down the bill to the point of not being on it. If you take Ian Watkins out of Lost Prophets, they will do similar.

I honestly have no idea what this is supposed to prove. Bands are mostly better known than the musicians that play in them? Of course, that's the name above the door.

A fairer comparison would between the individual instrument-playing members of GNR and those of the Lost Prophets. Even then, what does that prove?

Generally I agree with you, I just don't get that particular point. The fact that the name 'Lost Prophets' is more well known that the guitarist in GNR does not make it right for the also completely unknown guitarist in LP to disrespect GNR and it's fans... while going on a rant about how disrespectful Axl is.

No you're point and reasoning are pathetic. Yeah, fans would say they are cool then, for at least they would be showing respect for the HEADLINER who's fans they get to play to.

As to them being bigger there, then Dizzy or DJ as you say, I'd have to conclude if they were so huge they would be headlining! Now, if they were the headliner and the opening act (Guns) was late he'd have a great point. Fact is it's not disrespectful to the other bands if Axl was late at all, they already played!!! They should again just appreciate the GnR fans that showed up for them to play to. No I never heard of them here, USA, that's not to say their not famous here though... who knows. But if people were checking their phone messages and getting frappacino's during the set, well that says it all. Oh, also they weren't the headliner, that says it all too.

How do you know they were all G'N'R fans? I've been to Reading around ten times, and plenty of times I've skipped the main stage headliners but have watched bands who were on earlier on the same stage.. What's more I've seen plenty of sub-headliners pull far bigger crowds than the actual headliners. And one or two people say they were checking their phones and getting drinks, and "that says it all"? As if there weren't plenty of people going back and forth to the bar during G'N'R's set - maybe you might like to take a look at your own reasoning skills before you point out where others are lacking.

How do you know they were all G'N'R fans? I've been to Reading around ten times, and plenty of times I've skipped the main stage headliners but have watched bands who were on earlier on the same stage..

You just answered your own question, you skipped the main stage headliners on occasion... these people were standing at the main stage for headliner, that's how we know they were GnR fans. I'm sure this band had fans there though, and some probably went to see GnR. More likely the Headliner brought most of the fans that day though.

...- maybe you might like to take a look at your own reasoning skills before you point out where others are lacking.

Nope, opening bands can't say they were disrespected if the headliner playing after them is late, lol. Logic intact!

How do you know they were all G'N'R fans? I've been to Reading around ten times, and plenty of times I've skipped the main stage headliners but have watched bands who were on earlier on the same stage..

You just answered your own question, you skipped the main stage headliners on occasion... these people were standing at the main stage for headliner, that's how we know they were GnR fans. I'm sure this band had fans there though, and some probably went to see GnR. More likely the Headliner brought most of the fans that day though.

...- maybe you might like to take a look at your own reasoning skills before you point out where others are lacking.

Nope, opening bands can't say they were disrespected if the headliner playing after them is late, lol. Logic intact!

You misunderstood me, how do you know the vast audience who went to see Lostprophets were in fact just waiting to see G'N'R? They could have been waiting for Biffy Clyro or QOTSA for all you know and then gone to see another band? It's a big festival with multiple stages you know. I think it's disrespectful to every other band at the festival who managed to get their arses on stage on time - I'm sure plenty of bands would like to run over and play a few more songs.

Guest Apollo

Fellas, lets stop debating the merits of the Lost boys. They were a band that played at the festival. The guy commented on what happened. He isn't looking for free publicity. It doesn't matter if Axl knows the names of every band member of every band that played at the concert. You guys are debating silly things.

If Axl commented negatively on one of the bands at the festival - you guys would be lining up to suck his cock for his honesty, saying how "rock n roll" he was. But if another band member comments on Axl - then you do nothing but bash that guy. And not just for his comment, but you automatically bash his band. The double-standard is ridiculous.

A lot of the band members at the festival, no doubt, would give Axl a ton of props for his musical accomplishments and how he has influenced them. Also, a lot of them would bash Axl for his outragious behavior over the last 25 years. At the end of the day, who cares! It's just people's opinion. It's interesting to read what other musicans think - but we shouldn't get worked up about it.

And stop with the childish bashing of the audience. Because they don't dress like you, have the hair style you do, that means they have no meaning as fans? I'm tired of the negative comments on here about the audience. Skinny jean wearing, floppy hair, etc. They are young kids going out to enjoy bands they love. Why is that a problem for you? Don't you remember what you looked like at that age? I had long hair, holes in my pants, and Guns n Roses t-shirts. We are all rock fans - we should support each other, not rip those that don't look exactly like we do.