The UK Press is partly to blame for the incident tonight

Cockaroachsoup80

Actions have consequences? Who knew...

Unfort for Axl, the consequences are that thousands of media music people, located all over the world, have made it their life's mission to portray Axl in a negative light. Because they are jealous of Axl's rock star attitude and his willingness to "give it to the man."

Best rock sing ever, imo. But all the constant non-music related studd is draining. Yes, this nonsense happened in the late 80s and early 90s, but the band was actually putting out albums every couple of years. If we had 4-5 albums of material from the non-slash/duff/izzy GnR things would be different. But now...the equation only has one album, the same tour for the last decade, and several shows full of controversy. That's just sad. My dream is that axl does have enough music recorded for two more albums. Andbefore Axl retires or gets too old, he will release several more albums after that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfort for Axl, the consequences are that thousands of media music people, located all over the world, have made it their life's mission to portray Axl in a negative light. Because they are jealous of Axl's rock star attitude and his willingness to "give it to the man.".

You don't really believe that...do you?

People write negative shit about Axl, because he does negative shit.

Edited by SunnyDRE

The UK press have exaggerated and played up late start times, told everyone repeatedly how Axl and the band hate their fans, and played up the "poor" crowd element to no end. I don't know what it is with the "ME" 1st mentality that has taken hold of this generation, but its beyond ridiculous. As with every concert headliner, it takes 45 minutes or so to get the set changed, and the extravagant lighting and explosives ready for this show--then they need to test it out to make sure no one gets blown up like James Hetfield. I have no idea why the press has failed to report this (well, I do--they have it out for Axl), but by not telling the truth, they have created an environment where the band walks into an arena, and if the band is not on five minutes after the opening act, the drunks begin feeling like they need to deal with Axl and become a UK hero. Before you know it, the dipshits in the crowd, feel empowered and almost justified in throwing shit and basically taking matters into their own hands. Hell they'll be a hero on the front page of NME tomorrow! What you have here are spoiled idiots, who think that they should get what they want when they want it, have no idea what logistical matters need to be dealt with to ensure a good show, and now are emboldened by a UK press who have slandered the band to no end and created a polluted and dangerous atmosphere. Shame on the UK press for their total slandering and irresponsible reporting. Watching the crowd last night at Belfast losing their minds in joy, and then reading a report that half the crowd left and those remaining were silent and booing sealed the deal---the UK press have no credibility whatsoever.

With that said, Axl going on two hours late when it's his fault is ridiculous and he deserves blame. But, being onstage 45 minutes to an hour after the opener is not LATE--and on this leg of the tour, that is what it has been. Starting a show at 10:20 or so like they did tonight, about 50 minutes after the opener is not a big deal, and would not have gone down like it did if the UK Press had not ratcheted up the crowd and made them believe that attacking the most hated band in the UK was OK! The nutcase on the radio, making shit up about the show and band was a perfect example of the delirium, somewhat similar to the same "Islamophopia" sweeping the US. People start seeing bogeymen after awhile, and the press is doing that with GNR. It's sad, and absolutely ridiculous. I feel for the band--sure in the past Axl has had his moments in the past--but during these past four shows, he hasn't done anything to deserve the bullshit that happened tonight. A band cannot be pelted with gallons of piss and debris, and expected to stand there and take. Hats off to them for finishing the show.

If Danko Jones goes on at 8 and plays for 40 minutes, GNR could have the 50 minute change over and be on stage by 9:30. Not a peep would be heard from the crowd.

An even better solution would be to set up GNR's stage before the opening act comes on to cut down on the time needed for change-over. That is what most of the world's major touring act's do that have elaborate stage shows.

When the ticket says 8PM, the opening band usually isn't on til later. That's the time they let you in.

Last night Danko was on stage til after 9PM...

GnR's *stage* is set up before the opening act. However, all bands need to check instruments AFTER the opening band is off, check the soundsystem, check the lighting rig, because these things can fuck up during the opening band when their equipment is patched in. Also, I don't know much about pyro but they may need to do a last minute safety check or something.

Iron Maiden had a 30 minute wait time when I saw them this year after the opener, and that was with: no pyro, no massive lighting rig like GN'Rs, used just the venue video screens. 30 minutes just for instruments and the band to show up. Considering GN'R's show is a lot more intense I don't think the added wait time last night is a huge deal. 60 minutes - I've waited that for other acts.

Unfort for Axl, the consequences are that thousands of media music people, located all over the world, have made it their life's mission to portray Axl in a negative light. Because they are jealous of Axl's rock star attitude and his willingness to "give it to the man.".

They also write negative shit because he's Axl. He's an easy target. While you can blame some of it on him, the media go to extremes. They don't bother to fact check any story involving Axl, they just assume it's true and go with it. The review of the first gig after leeds didn't even mention the performance, just ragged on his image and what an asshole he is. Tell me that isn't biased reporting. This "argument" Tommy had backstage, posted with zero sources by an outlet that's never had inside info about the band in the past. This chick being allowed on the radio last night telling stories contradicted by the rest of the people there... it's a joke. Axl's been a dick to the media, and frankly most of the time the media are scum, and so the media gets their revenge. Even in cases where corrections are printed, most people only remember the initial story.

They also write negative shit because he's Axl. He's an easy target. While you can blame some of it on him, the media go to extremes. They don't bother to fact check any story involving Axl, they just assume it's true and go with it. The review of the first gig after leeds didn't even mention the performance, just ragged on his image and what an asshole he is. Tell me that isn't biased reporting. This "argument" Tommy had backstage, posted with zero sources by an outlet that's never had inside info about the band in the past. This chick being allowed on the radio last night telling stories contradicted by the rest of the people there... it's a joke. Axl's been a dick to the media, and frankly most of the time the media are scum, and so the media gets their revenge. Even in cases where corrections are printed, most people only remember the initial story.

Axl Rose is not a victim. He could quite easily avoid all of this backlash if he wanted to, but he decides time and time again to do whatever the fuck he pleases, regardless of how it effects the fans, or his bandmates. He's his own worst enemy, always has been. He's bought it all on himself.

Axl Rose is not a victim. He could quite easily avoid all of this backlash if he wanted to, but he decides time and time again to do whatever the fuck he pleases, regardless of how it effects the fans, or his bandmates. He's his own worst enemy, always has been. He's bought it all on himself.

I think he genuinely enjoys being the victim too. Ex-members, the media, promoters, Stephanie, Erin, overzealous fans, and on and on have all victimized poor Axl in his eyes.

There is a change over time that people need to understand,

People need to understand that the changeover does not take as long as it did in Dublin. There is no defending the bottle throwers but Axl still would've been booed heavily regardless.

You leave a crowd waiting (with some of them there since half 6 since that is what is printed on the fucking tickets) with nothing to do but drink and of course you're going to breed hostility. People thinking that this is just a disrespectful Dublin crowd are deluded. If Axl does what he did last night on every date of the tour it will be a complete train wreck.

It's nothing against Dublin first off, its the people in the crowd that threw shit on stage. I'm sorry but thats never okay. Getting violent and throwing things is plain immature and ignorant. I'm not saying its okay for Axl to make everyone wait and I wasn't there and don't know why he was late. So getting booed I can understand but throwing things I don't. From what I've read he came on an hour after the opening act, is that correct? If so that is not late really. I've been to many concerts and I've always had to wait after the opening act for a little bit, I mean isn't that normal? Like I said I wan't there though and I dont' know how long these people waited, so maybe them being angry was justified but NOT throwing things, that just blows my mind that any grown adult would throw shit at other people. I've been drunk and mad at people before but I kept my hands to myself and nope never threw anything at anyone...

'The UK Press is partly to blame for the incident tonight' :crazy:

What a lame ass thread. Axl's lateness has nothing to do with the UK Press. The UK Press has nothing to do with technical glitches.

Edited by star

Bottles will be thrown on stage even if they are on time. Happened at Download, a lot!

It also happens to other artists that are on time. These other artists kick off but the press choose not to make a big deal of it.

The press are not helping but they never have and never will. This is fundamental to why i love this band. They are not and never have been press whores.

Stop moaning about going on late, its fucking boring. Don't like it, don't go.

So Axl thought it'd be an awesome idea to show up an hour later then for what was already a pretty short slot given their typical show length? Yeah makes sense now you've explained it. :rolleyes:

He didn't show up late. He was backstage at least 4 hours before the set time and was seen at the stage side while everybody waited for GNR to hit the stage - which they did after everything was set for them. Calling for proof?

For starters, the set was not even ready on time for them to go on, only by about 10 minutes, ... see here

The point is that EVERY single other band on the entire festival bill managed to make it on stage within a few minutes of their start time.

Not true. See several post here and in the Dublin thread.

Edit: Missed the festival bit. No, maybe they were not late. But then they didn't have the GNR stage show, did they? Makes quite a difference regarding changing time.

Can't you see that if there were genuine excuses with regard to changeover then Guns wouldn't have been the only band to have problems?

The difference is the size and complexity of equipment and show features that is part of the show and blows the audience away in exitement on a regular basis.

Even if they did have genuine issues with the stage set and changeover then why didn't they learn from this? Why did the same shit happen at Leeds? Why did it happen last night when there wasn't even a full stage change to carry out? Why were they half an hour late in Belfast the night before? Why does it happen all the time on every single tour?

Ah ... because it is the same extensive and complex equipment and show features every night which don't check themselves for safety and tuning? :rolleyes:

You can't seem to grasp that just maybe the fact that Axl Rose is late on stage so often has something to do with Axl Rose.

You can't seem to grasp that just maybe the fact that Axl Rose is late on stage so often has not only to do with Axl Rose all the time. Maybe it's just easier to blame him than to accept that there may be a variety of reasons which don't allow easy blaming.

"The promoter was already being a cocky f$#k in the press before we arrived. So yes, we went on a little late, and for this we apologize."

And a little bit later he added:

Seems some of you took my post out of context. I in NO way meant that we went on late because the promoter was being a cocky prick. I simply stated that, then I went on to apologies to the fans for us going on a little late. Peace out.

Edited by Granny