Mick Wall Weighs in on GNR situation in New Article

Naupis

]Lose Your Illusion: Axl Rose And The End Of Guns N’ Roses?

In the aftermath of Reading, Leeds, and Dublin shows, Mick Wall weighs in on Axl Rose and the future of Guns N’ Roses .

Axl Rose goes on stage so late it causes the show to be curtailed. Axl Rose blames everybody except himself. Axl Rose fans go home angry and bitterly disappointed.

Um, is it just me or do those last three sentences induce a feeling of déjà vu? I mean, we really have all been here before, right? So many times, in fact, you begin to wonder if Axl isn’t just enjoying some sort of cosmic joke no one else is weird enough to get.

Even the most ardent Axl fans (a rapidly swindling band of naysayers) must surely admit after these latest episodes in Reading and Leeds that the whole sorry saga went way beyond the realms of ‘boring’ centuries ago, passed through the nebula of ‘unacceptable’ even before Slash and co walked out, and now resides inside a file marked ‘mental’.

And yet… I can’t be the only one either that finds the continuing war Axl seems to be waging against himself – and make no mistake, he’s the one that suffers ultimately, as he sits up all night furiously surfing the internet for mentions of his name, as insiders tell me he does – utterly compelling.

Me and Axl are about the same age. We grew up in a world where rock wasn’t just some pre-packaged item on a virtual shelf you could instantly download and try on for size. We came of age in a time and place called the 1970s when rock really was considered the last refuge of the outlaw. You didn’t join a band to make a million bucks. You did so to shake things up. Freak out the straights. Fight the man. Fuck all the rules until they bent so far backwards they broke in two.

It could be argued that when Axl refuses to come onstage until he’s good and ready, tells anyone who tries to impose their will on him to fuck off – including his own band, record company, managers, whoever – that it’s a simple manifestation of the philosophy he and I and a whole generation of others like us grew up believing in. That rock was something you needed to have the right juju to conjure up. Some found it through drugs, sex, black magic, or combos thereof. Whatever gets you through the night, as we used to say back in the very long day and even longer night.

The trouble is, that was then and this is now. And it’s one thing to want to sex-up your act, recharge the vibe, so that you can bring it to the people when you finally hit the stage. But when the magic backfires and all you do is piss off the ones that love you most – the fans – then something is very badly wrong.

There’s a reason Axl didn’t make it to the stage on time in Reading and Leeds and it’s got nothing to do with the spirit of rock’n’roll rebellion – or taking a nap or any pre-show deal he now says he made, as reports have suggested. It’s the same reason, in fact, that Chinese Democracy took 12 years to make and reportedly over $13 million. I think you know what I’m talking about.

Let’s hope Axl feels better one day soon. Or better still, calls Slash…

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/lose-your-illusion-axl-rose-and-the-end-of-guns-n-roses/

It's actually a reasonably fair article. Not too much of a hit piece which from Mick is saying something.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I...uhm...don't see how Slash would help with Axl being always late...

Maybe people wouldn't be quite as angry if they were waiting for the original lineup, but if memory serves well, there were already riots, cancellations, stuff thrown at the band etc back then.

But yeah, in a way he's right. Axl is one of the only musicians who does everything his way...But it's really starting to backfire at him, so much that I don't see the point. He has been hurting his career for quite a while now.

It could be argued that when Axl refuses to come onstage until he’s good and ready, tells anyone who tries to impose their will on him to fuck off – including his own band, record company, managers, whoever – that it’s a simple manifestation of the philosophy he and I and a whole generation of others like us grew up believing in. That rock was something you needed to have the right juju to conjure up. Some found it through drugs, sex, black magic, or combos thereof. Whatever gets you through the night, as we used to say back in the very long day and even longer night.

The trouble is, that was then and this is now. And it’s one thing to want to sex-up your act, recharge the vibe, so that you can bring it to the people when you finally hit the stage. But when the magic backfires and all you do is piss off the ones that love you most – the fans – then something is very badly wrong.

I think he articulated this part really well.

I'd say that is pretty reasonable article from the guy who wrote a book trying to paint Axl as a complete and utter lunatic!

I'd agree too. I don't think its 'rock n roll' to keep people waiting hours and hours... actually it way more 'rock n roll' to get on stage and kick ass when the crowd is primed and ready. It is not 'rock n roll' its arrogance and inconsideration....

Don't get me wrong. I personally don't care myself. I plan around the waits and the late start times and I PERSONALLY DON"T CARE but the dad who has to catch the metro home before it shuts down, pay the baby sitter and work the next morning certainly does when the ticket says 7pm and GNR don't get on stage til 11:30 on a tuesday. And that is a really life example of the dude next to me at the winnipeg show. People can say "is gnr people show know blah blah" ... sure maybe... but don't expect that dude to be at the next show... so three tours from now it will be 1,500 people at the show not 15,000 or 8,000, or 4,000.

The fan base is 30 plus not 18....

I was thinking oh dear before clicking on this thread but to be fair this is a good article. As for axl searching the Internet for his name...WTF?

please tell me you do not believe anything this jabroni is saying?

Actually, this isn't the first time it was reported that Axl does this. Someone else said before (I think Rolling Stone reported it in that old article from a decade or so ago) that Axl would sit in bed surfing the Internet on his laptop looking to see what was being said about him. Is it that surprising? Even when he finally made his appearance here, he referenced users and their posting histories which certainly seemed indicative that he was familiar with who was saying what here over the years.

Looks Axl also weighed in on this...............................in 1991

And that goes for all you punks in the press

That want to start shit by printin' lies

Instead of the things we said

That means you

Andy Secher at Hit Parader

Circus Magazine

Mick Wall at Kerrang

Bob Guccione Jr. at Spin,

What you pissed off cuz your dad gets more

pussy than you?

Fuck you

Suck my fuckin' dick

Edited by ohmygod

Might as well start here... You're a little cunt and since you've been posting you've pretty much always been a little cunt. Blind accusations and insults by an anonymous coward and whiny shit stirrer aren't impressive or needed by anyone. Everyone else...talk with your administrator. Who wants to chat?!!

Might as well start here... You're a little cunt and since you've been posting you've pretty much always been a little cunt. Blind accusations and insults by an anonymous coward and whiny shit stirrer aren't impressive or needed by anyone. Everyone else...talk with your administrator. Who wants to chat?!!

Hmm, I always took that to mean that "since you've been posting" as in within this thread, not in the totality of your posting history.

Ali

links please. if you're refering to dave everyone and the pope knows he's a butthole

It's out there somewhere. I'm not going to spend time looking for it. I'm sure other long-time posters here will remember it and know exactly which one it is, but I don't. It was one of the articles about the making of Chinese Democracy, and I don't even know if it's available online.

I don't know who Dave is but I do know you need to knock off all the insults you seem so fond of.

I was thinking oh dear before clicking on this thread but to be fair this is a good article. As for axl searching the Internet for his name...WTF?

please tell me you do not believe anything this jabroni is saying?

Actually, this isn't the first time it was reported that Axl does this. Someone else said before (I think Rolling Stone reported it in that old article from a decade or so ago) that Axl would sit in bed surfing the Internet on his laptop looking to see what was being said about him. Is it that surprising? Even when he finally made his appearance here, he referenced users and their posting histories which certainly seemed indicative that he was familiar with who was saying what here over the years.

The fact he tries as hard as he does to control the flow of information at certain fan sites tells you all you need to know about his sensitivity level about what is being posted about him. If he didn't care, he wouldn't have his house keeper serving as the information minister barking out orders to various webmasters.

Hmm, I always took that to mean that "since you've been posting" as in within this thread, not in the totality of your posting history.

Ali

I inferred that he was talking about his general posting history, not the thread. Axl jumped right in. Someone unfamiliar with forums wouldn't know what an admin is or use some of the online abbreviations he used. In fact, there were rumours that he posted anonymously on another GN'R forum (I think) in the late '90s...or maybe the old "official" band forum that was around during the '02 tour...never proven but I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Ali

I inferred that he was talking about his general posting history, not the thread. Axl jumped right in. Someone unfamiliar with forums wouldn't know what an admin is or use some of the online abbreviations he used. In fact, there were rumours that he posted anonymously on another GN'R forum (I think) in the late '90s...or maybe the old "official" band forum that was around during the '02 tour...never proven but I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I don't think you need to be that intimately familiar with online messageboards to know that there are administrators. But, hey, you took it one way, I took it another way. Whatever.

Ali

Aww how sweet, i do love it when an artist articulates what he thinks with wit and deep thought instead of sounding like a lunatic and urging everybody to run to mommy and complain.Abuse your oddly perceived power or fight the power?

Mick Wall is a very sick man. He needs help.

right... rolleyes.gif

please take you 22000 posts and go back to wherever you came from.

since you ask so nicely....

Seriously moreblack i respect lots of your posts, but in the GUNS N ROSES section of the forum , the one liners you add are so insightful.....

By the way, don't you and Sunny find it so ironic that you guys spend so much time in your lives, day in, day out, posting and spending time on a forum, about a band you SOOOOOO obviously loathe, kind of interesting from a psychological standpoint.....

:book: no wonder you're so into Mick Wall's articles.....

Edited by ohmygod

Ali

I don't think you need to be that intimately familiar with online messageboards to know that there are administrators. But, hey, you took it one way, I took it another way. Whatever.

Ali

I'm just saying I don't think someone unfamiliar with them would immediately refer to an administrator as an admin. You might pick that up fast when you start posting but I know my parents don't know a thing about message boards and if I said something about an admin they'd have no idea what I'm talking about.

But yeah, it's whatever. Maybe if he ever shows up again he can answer that question of whether he's been on other forums before.