Mick Wall Weighs in on GNR situation in New Article

Naupis

So why is axl late? That's the only point he's making and I don't get?

Slight mental issues. Its no big secret. It comes down to issues.

Everything must feel right before taking to the stage, atleast for one band member.

If so how is this axles fault, surely this just defeats the whole negative spin of his story, axl wants to get there but cant

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and is with a lead singer who can really sing :thumbsup:

You mean that guy who is trying to desperately to mimic Axl's voice instead of using his own?

Myles Kennedy sounds nothing like Axl Rose.

Myles Kennedy sings without the straining aspect Axl puts his voice though.

When Myles Kennedy sings, I can't detect any additional sound FX, that Axl appears so keen on, more so these days.

No, Myles Kennedy sounds nothing like Axl Rose... he TRIES to sound like him but fails. Nor can he sing like Scott. He's a pathetic singer and Starlight is the worst track on Slash.

So why is axl late? That's the only point he's making and I don't get?

Slight mental issues. Its no big secret. It comes down to issues.

Everything must feel right before taking to the stage, atleast for one band member.

If so how is this axles fault, surely this just defeats the whole negative spin of his story, axl wants to get there but cant

I haven't seen this discussed in depth (maybe it has and I missed it) but what if this is true. What if Axl is really suffering from what can be a devastating mental illness. I've seen it in people and when they are hit with an episode in their bi-polar, or social personality disorder, or some other they can be crippled by it. They physically cannot get up and do the things they have to do.

If this were true of Axl, would it make a difference? Would you think he should just get out of the business? If it was discussed in the media, ie he came out with it, would there be more tolerance and patience with the questionable behavior?

I don't think he's suffering from anything too extreme from what I've seen myself. But there have been a number of people close to him over the years that have said he's 'crazy'. So what if that were really true?

He has said the shows stress him out, these are big shows, Jagger has similar problems, I saw DVD of a show in Rio where there's 150,000 people waiting and Mick called the manager and said he might not beable to do the show, the tour mang rolled his eyes at the camera and said he always does this he ll be there!

and is with a lead singer who can really sing :thumbsup:

You mean that guy who is trying to desperately to mimic Axl's voice instead of using his own?

Myles Kennedy sounds nothing like Axl Rose.

Myles Kennedy sings without the straining aspect Axl puts his voice though.

When Myles Kennedy sings, I can't detect any additional sound FX, that Axl appears so keen on, more so these days.

No, Myles Kennedy sounds nothing like Axl Rose... he TRIES to sound like him but fails. Nor can he sing like Scott. He's a pathetic singer and Starlight is the worst track on Slash.

He doesn't try to sound like Axl at all, listen to any version of any GnR song that he's sung and you'll see that he sings it in his own personal way. He has an amazingly powerful voice and can hit high and low notes incredibly well. Maybe you should listen to the entire Blackbird album before you call him pathetic :rolleyes:

Yes he does try to sound like Axl, at least when he sings GNR songs. He apes Axl's tone and phrasing but doesn't have half the power. Plus he can't sing low properly, his voice is pitched like a 10 year old girls. Axl's voice is deep as fuck and he can probably STILL sing higher than Kennedy can, with much more power/

Edited by Axl Knows

Well, I can tell you that I do public speaking and it is hell for me on the small scale, relatively speaking, that I have to do it. And I have no mental issues to add on top of that.

I cannot imagine what it takes to get out there in front of those large crowds and not have panic attacks about it. Some embrace it easily and love it. But some, like me, have to go through a process that takes hours and days to be able to deal with it. I still have to do it. It's part of my job. And it has gotten slightly easier over the years slightly, because I understand better what my process has to be to prepare.

Maybe Axl deals with a bit of this, or maybe he doesn't. I don't know. But if he did, and I knew he did, I might be more tolerant of the issues.

Yes he does try to sound like Axl, at least when he sings GNR songs. He apes Axl's tone and phrasing but doesn't have half the power. Plus he can't sing low properly, his voice is pitched like a 10 year old girls. Axl's voice is deep as fuck and he can probably STILL sing higher than Kennedy can, with much more power/

He sings most GnR songs higher than Axl does, doesn't do all of the little "Axlisms" and belts notes where Axl just sings them. He doesn't "try" to sound like Axl at all. Maybe your getting a little confused because they both have some sort of natural rasp to their voice.

Myles can sing in falsetto much better than Axl can, maybe it's because he's been doing it longer or w/e but he pulls it off with ease.

He sings most GnR songs higher than Axl does, doesn't do all of the little "Axlisms" and belts notes where Axl just sings them. He doesn't "try" to sound like Axl at all. Maybe your getting a little confused because they both have some sort of natural rasp to their voice.

Myles can sing in falsetto much better than Axl can, maybe it's because he's been doing it longer or w/e but he pulls it off with ease.

He doesn't really sing them higher. The keys are the same. Infact I haven't checked but I think some of the stuff he sings is tuned down from the originals. The only time he sings sections of songs higher is when he can't go low enough to hit those trademark Axl lows. Axl is a natural bass while Myles is a natural high tenor so obviously Axl's low range is far better. And c'mon, he blatantly apes Axl's phrasing and tone... it's pretty obvious.

And Axl doesn't use falsetto so that's not relevant. Axl sings in head voice, which is an extension of chest voice... hence the power and gruffness of his high notes.

Edited by Axl Knows

He doesn't really sing them higher. The keys are the same. Infact I haven't checked but I think some of the stuff he sings is tuned down from the originals. The only time he sings sections of songs higher is when he can't go low enough to hit those trademark Axl lows. Axl is a natural bass while Myles is a natural high tenor so obviously Axl's low range is far better. And c'mon, he blatantly apes Axl's phrasing and tone... it's pretty obvious.

And Axl doesn't use falsetto so that's not relevant. Axl sings in head voice, which is an extension of chest voice... hence the power and gruffness of his high notes.

Axl has used falsetto recently, I'm not 100% sure but I think he started using it in '06. IMO he needs to stop using it as it takes a lot of the power out of his vocals and makes it seem a little thin.

BTW, Axl's a natural baritone, not a bass. And Myles has a 4-octave vocal range, and I believe Axl has a 4 1/2. So the intervals aren't as large as your making them out to be.

I think it just takes a while for Axl to get himself fired up. It's not easy to perform like Axl does.

I've noticed he comes out pissed to do Chi Dem, it's like he's venting 10 years of rage, so if something happens on that song the anger could be misdirected. I know a bi polar guy who's a university lecturer and he's not late at all or he'd lose his job so it's not an excuse.

Edited by wasted

Axl has used falsetto recently, I'm not 100% sure but I think he started using it in '06. IMO he needs to stop using it as it takes a lot of the power out of his vocals and makes it seem a little thin.

BTW, Axl's a natural baritone, not a bass. And Myles has a 4-octave vocal range, and I believe Axl has a 4 1/2. So the intervals aren't as large as your making them out to be.

Nope, he doesn't use falsetto. Trust me on this. Those highs are classic head voice... similar technique to guys like Chris Cornell. His high notes sound thinner sometimes because he's out of breath or just having an off day, not because he's using falsetto.

Myles doesn't have four octaves of vocal range. His lowest note is A2 while his highest is around G5 in full... that's a tad short of three octaves. Axl's lowest is A1 and his highest is A5. Four octaves.

And Axl is a bass. His range extends a half octave below the lowest note in the classical bass repertoire.

Nope, he doesn't use falsetto. Trust me on this. Those highs are classic head voice... similar technique to guys like Chris Cornell. His high notes sound thinner sometimes because he's out of breath or just having an off day, not because he's using falsetto.

Myles doesn't have four octaves of vocal range. His lowest note is A2 while his highest is around G5 in full... that's a tad short of three octaves. Axl's lowest is A1 and his highest is A5. Four octaves.

And Axl is a bass. His range extends a half octave below the lowest note in the classical bass repertoire.

He used falsetto a few times on PC back in 06. I wouldn't know about this year cos I haven't seen many videos.

I don't know what songs you're getting your Myles info from but he definitely has four octaves of vocal range. Listen to Blackbird (the album, Alter Bridge), it shows his low register a lot, then listen to the song "Summer Girl" by Mayfield Four and you'll hear him hit a note that's the same as Axl's high note on IRS.

I think it just takes a while for Axl to get himself fired up. It's not easy to perform like Axl does.

I've noticed he comes out pissed to do Chi Dem, it's like he's venting 10 years of rage, so if something happens on that song the anger could be misdirected. I know a bi polar guy who's a university lecturer and he's not late at all or he'd lose his job so it's not an excuse.

It's true, I'm never late and it would affect my job if I didn't deal with it. And it shouldn't be an excuse. I just wonder if people would be a bit more understanding if they knew it was something more than just his selfishness and ego that causes the problems. I never thought a lot about this until I read about him sleeping before the show. Then I started thinking of medications. But it could all be off the rails and the problems could be completely unrelated to this stuff.

Well, I can tell you that I do public speaking and it is hell for me on the small scale, relatively speaking, that I have to do it. And I have no mental issues to add on top of that.

I cannot imagine what it takes to get out there in front of those large crowds and not have panic attacks about it. Some embrace it easily and love it. But some, like me, have to go through a process that takes hours and days to be able to deal with it. I still have to do it. It's part of my job. And it has gotten slightly easier over the years slightly, because I understand better what my process has to be to prepare.

Maybe Axl deals with a bit of this, or maybe he doesn't. I don't know. But if he did, and I knew he did, I might be more tolerant of the issues.

Really well known actors still hurl before a show, before they are a mess but once out there their fine. Axl might be like Tyson he needs to get into the right frame of mind.

Edited by wasted

Myles has 3 octaves of range, which is about average for a trained male singer. He's a great, great singer tbh but he needs to stop aping Axl when he sings GNR. He'll never have the power and range Axl had in his prime.

When I saw him he went lower than that on Civil War. Maybe not exactly four but pretty damn close.

It's true, I'm never late and it would affect my job if I didn't deal with it. And it shouldn't be an excuse. I just wonder if people would be a bit more understanding if they knew it was something more than just his selfishness and ego that causes the problems. I never thought a lot about this until I read about him sleeping before the show. Then I started thinking of medications. But it could all be off the rails and the problems could be completely unrelated to this stuff.

It's just that mr wall says these things then continues to rip into him.

I think audiences have become selfish and egotistical, they think rock n roll is like buying an iPhone.

Edited by wasted

I think audiences have become selfish and egotistical, they think rock n roll is like buying an iPhone.

Very well put. And just my saying.

Axl's general attitude seems to have not changed much over the years, but the audiences' has, and therein lies the big problem today. He still does things his way, but this way is not very ... well, consumer friendly. ;) Axl never was, but people nowadays are so trained to see the world like a huge department store where to chose products from and buy services, that they look at GNR like just one of the items in the shelves. And it doesn't work out for either sides. Axl does not serve customers with his performance, he gives his all to an audience who appreciates his art. If you demand paid-for service, you won't get it. It is NOT a purchase you make if you buy tickets for a GNR concert. It is more like reimbursing the band's efforts and the expenses they have to make the concert possible.

Axl is an Anachronism nowadays. And a totally necessary one, to me.

It's just that mr wall says these things then continues to rip into him.

In an odd way very true.

You buy and iPhone expecting to get a working phone only to be disappointed.

You buy GnR tickets expecting them to live up to the obligation they made when taking the gig only to be disappointed when they don't.

to me you buy an iphone you are garanteed a flash operating system, phone service, net access, games, looking like a dick in starfucks. And if the thing doesn't work u get a refund they kiss ur ass and fix it.

Rock n roll on the other hand is a risk,you can't control what you'll get and there are no guarantees, but for everything that could go wrong you get the chance of something magical. So Axl is like Brody in Point break he reminds us the human spirit still exists as we roll in our metal coffins to work everyday.