Mick Wall Weighs in on GNR situation in New Article

Naupis

Really whats half an hour / an hour/ out of your life waiting for axl to take the stage, i wait longer at the doctors and its much more boring. waiting for them to come on is great fun im not going to lie as long as i know their coming on i enjoy talking to fans i never met before swapping fan boy opinions and shit its great.

as the dude said its not burger king not "have it your way" im sure its been mentioned before but how the fuck can you go to a guns gig and be surprised when they come on late, i dont have an ounce of sympathy for those assholes screaming bloody murder. sure its worth getting annoyed about if you think you've been short changed but if your going to buy the ticket spend it on something else, but some people LOVE complaining sticking a finger at someone who isnt spoon feeding them like everyone else and start crying.

I've been getting an earfull from mates who heard about reading/leeds but the truth is i stood their from mid day like a lot of gnr fans and to be brutally honest qotsa, biffy clyro came on time but they put on a pretty static show, was on time and technically proficient but BORING if i'd went specifically to see them i would have wondered why i didnt just buy a live dvd. when guns came on people where screaming along the band was running around climbing scaffolding and generally didnt look like they thought they were to cool to win the crowd unlike previous bands.

Why does he go on late? didnt he answer this in the forum q&a? something about how he isnt involved with "start/end times" and has an inclination toward night time, he sleeps like a vampire any way right?

jeez imagine a promoter said; "hey axl so why dont i just book the places that will allow a half hour/hour later start than normal?" but then i guess it wouldnt be RNR.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I...uhm...don't see how Slash would help with Axl being always late...

Maybe people wouldn't be quite as angry if they were waiting for the original lineup, but if memory serves well, there were already riots, cancellations, stuff thrown at the band etc back then.

But yeah, in a way he's right. Axl is one of the only musicians who does everything his way...But it's really starting to backfire at him, so much that I don't see the point. He has been hurting his career for quite a while now.

If Axl and Slash got back together, nobody, I mean NOBODY, would ever give a shit about him going on late or any of his other antics. People have been waiting over a decade for a reunion. Yes, back then there were riots, cancellations, etc, but after having gone some 15+ years without these two great talents together, people would certainly have much more tolerance. In addition, lots of those rioters are now in their 30's and 40's and don't necessarily want to engage in that behavior anymore. These guys are classic rock acts, and getting back together would serve to illustrate to those who never had the chance, what Guns N Roses was all about. What Axl's doing now is NOT a great reminder of what Guns once was.

I have to think that even Axl knows the only salvation for his career is a reunion, the problem is that his pride (or whatever) continually gets in the way. At some point he's got to let the bitterness melt away and realize life's too short.

Maybe people wouldn't be quite as angry if they were waiting for the original lineup, but if memory serves well, there were already riots, cancellations, stuff thrown at the band etc back then.

But yeah, in a way he's right. Axl is one of the only musicians who does everything his way...But it's really starting to backfire at him, so much that I don't see the point. He has been hurting his career for quite a while now.

If Axl and Slash got back together, nobody, I mean NOBODY, would ever give a shit about him going on late or any of his other antics. People have been waiting over a decade for a reunion. Yes, back then there were riots, cancellations, etc, but after having gone some 15+ years without these two great talents together, people would certainly have much more tolerance. In addition, lots of those rioters are now in their 30's and 40's and don't necessarily want to engage in that behavior anymore. These guys are classic rock acts, and getting back together would serve to illustrate to those who never had the chance, what Guns N Roses was all about. What Axl's doing now is NOT a great reminder of what Guns once was.

I have to think that even Axl knows the only salvation for his career is a reunion, the problem is that his pride (or whatever) continually gets in the way. At some point he's got to let the bitterness melt away and realize life's too short.

Fuck a reunion. It won't happen. Deal with it. Buy a De Lorean, go in the past and stay there.

And maybe Axl is not that interested in his "CAREER"! He's a musician, an artist, not a fucking shareholder.

Granny, wasted and Estranged 14: GREAT posts! Spot on!

Fuck a reunion. It won't happen. Deal with it. Buy a De Lorean, go in the past and stay there.

And maybe Axl is not that interested in his "CAREER"! He's a musician, an artist, not a fucking shareholder.

classic :rofl-lol: 100% agreed.

to me you buy an iphone you are garanteed a flash operating system, phone service, net access, games, looking like a dick in starfucks. And if the thing doesn't work u get a refund they kiss ur ass and fix it.

Rock n roll on the other hand is a risk,you can't control what you'll get and there are no guarantees, but for everything that could go wrong you get the chance of something magical. So Axl is like Brody in Point break he reminds us the human spirit still exists as we roll in our metal coffins to work everyday.

It's a consumer first and people second world we're living in. Everybody is so focused on the 50 year storm that they completely miss out on the magnificent waves that are crashing up on the shore.

Edited by ITW 2012

to me you buy an iphone you are garanteed a flash operating system, phone service, net access, games, looking like a dick in starfucks. And if the thing doesn't work u get a refund they kiss ur ass and fix it.

Rock n roll on the other hand is a risk,you can't control what you'll get and there are no guarantees, but for everything that could go wrong you get the chance of something magical. So Axl is like Brody in Point break he reminds us the human spirit still exists as we roll in our metal coffins to work everyday.

It's a consumer first and people second world we're living in. Everybody is so focused on the 50 year storm that they completely miss out on the magnificent waves that are crashing up on the shore.

Waves which are damaging and alienating the consumer

Waves which are damaging and alienating the consumer

It's Rock N Roll, man.

A reunion isn't ever gonna happen, and who can blame Slash. Axl burns bridges. The end is near.

I'd say that is pretty reasonable article from the guy who wrote a book trying to paint Axl as a complete and utter lunatic!

I'd agree too. I don't think its 'rock n roll' to keep people waiting hours and hours... actually it way more 'rock n roll' to get on stage and kick ass when the crowd is primed and ready. It is not 'rock n roll' its arrogance and inconsideration....

Don't get me wrong. I personally don't care myself. I plan around the waits and the late start times and I PERSONALLY DON"T CARE but the dad who has to catch the metro home before it shuts down, pay the baby sitter and work the next morning certainly does when the ticket says 7pm and GNR don't get on stage til 11:30 on a tuesday. And that is a really life example of the dude next to me at the winnipeg show. People can say "is gnr people show know blah blah" ... sure maybe... but don't expect that dude to be at the next show... so three tours from now it will be 1,500 people at the show not 15,000 or 8,000, or 4,000.

The fan base is 30 plus not 18....

ummm if your going to a GN'R show stick the kids with grandma overnight not a 16 year old babysiter LOL

Can't people plan things these days? If your going to a GN'R gig expect a late night of music and fun.

say they go on at 11:30, is it not reasonable to guess they'd get off stage at 1:30/2am? what fucking 30-40 yr old wants to leave a fucking concert at 2am, only to get home an hour plus later on a weeknight, and try to go to sleep and get up for work the next day?

totally not worth it to me and can't help but agree with everything Mick Wall said about Axl

say they go on at 11:30, is it not reasonable to guess they'd get off stage at 1:30/2am? what fucking 30-40 yr old wants to leave a fucking concert at 2am, only to get home an hour plus later on a weeknight, and try to go to sleep and get up for work the next day?

totally not worth it to me and can't help but agree with everything Mick Wall said about Axl

Look I'm about Axl's and Mick's age too, 44, so please allow my opine here. If I knew I was seeing a show I would have first canceled work the next day. For me now that just means a few emails telling CEO and office managers don't call or email me til say after 3PM, but let's say I still worked in an office I'd just take the day off. I'd have no problem rocking with Axl and co until 2-3-4AM. Sounds like a blast. This isn't to say if they left after 5 songs I'd have much faith in them coming back, THAT was the rarity of that night. More likely I'd see a riot coming after 30 mins and split pissed off before they came back on. Dublin would have had no press if he was just 90 mins late, always a possible with GnR, it was the walk off and delay afterward that made it internet news.

PS, Mick's point about how rock was in the 70s, even 80s and 90s, were pretty good. The rest is old news rehashed, I mean the whole 'scouring the net for his name' thing is about 12 years old.

Edited by axlskAmpf

a world where rock wasn’t just some pre-packaged item on a virtual shelf you could instantly download and try on for size. We came of age in a time and place called the 1970s when rock really was considered the last refuge of the outlaw. You didn’t join a band to make a million bucks. You did so to shake things up. Freak out the straights. Fight the man. Fuck all the rules until they bent so far backwards they broke in two.

The trouble is, that was then and this is now.

And he follows that up with "call Slash".

:blink:

Look I'm about Axl's and Mick's age too, 44, so please allow my opine here. If I knew I was seeing a show I would have first canceled work the next day. For me now that just means a few emails telling CEO and office managers don't call or email me til say after 3PM, but let's say I still worked in an office I'd just take the day off. I'd have no problem rocking with Axl and co until 2-3-4AM. Sounds like a blast. This isn't to say if they left after 5 songs I'd have much faith in them coming back, THAT was the rarity of that night. More likely I'd see a riot coming after 30 mins and split pissed off before they came back on. Dublin would have had no press if he was just 90 mins late, always a possible with GnR, it was the walk off and delay afterward that made it internet news.

PS, Mick's point about how rock was in the 70s, even 80s and 90s, were pretty good. The rest is old news rehashed, I mean the whole 'scouring the net for his name' thing is about 12 years old.

problem with that is living in NJ and going to see them in NYC, trains stop running at a certain time on weekenights (last train out is 1:11am) so there is a problem rocking out w Axl and his merrymen till 2-3-4am

going to see slash next tues at terminal 5, I wonder if him or his band will get showered w bottles :thumbsup:

Look there are some undoubtedly valuable comments in there, but then he brings it down to the same shit that he's always spewing. Get over it Mick, Get in the Ring was almost 20 years ago.

I've always thought he was an entertaining enough writer, but I thought his Axl bio was pretty average at best.

a world where rock wasn’t just some pre-packaged item on a virtual shelf you could instantly download and try on for size. We came of age in a time and place called the 1970s when rock really was considered the last refuge of the outlaw. You didn’t join a band to make a million bucks. You did so to shake things up. Freak out the straights. Fight the man. Fuck all the rules until they bent so far backwards they broke in two.

The trouble is, that was then and this is now.

And he follows that up with "call Slash".

:blink:

lol, excellent point. This guy is a hypocrite.

I don't really remember much about this going on late thing in the 80's,when they were opening for other big bands.Hell,I was 12/13 yrs old LOL.Going to a show then was kinda out of the question for me.So was he always late during that time era when they were opening for bands like Aerosmith and the Stones? And if not,then what is the big difference for him now?Other than it is something that he can control,unlike the things he was not able to control back in his childhood?Still,makes no sense! I mean,I have been through a ton of shit for a 33 yrs old person.I don't crawl back in a hole, in order to regroup myself ,to just live through the day!Sometimes you just have to learn to live with all the shit that was or gets thrown at you throughout your life.you can't let your problems(physically/mentally) rule you.The only thing that does,is make you a weaker person.