Does anyone else think Nirvana were getting better with time?

Vincent Vega

Does anyone else think that had Kurt not killed himself, the next album might've been really awesome? I'm not really a Nirvana fan but the only two songs of the post In Uteru era (Do Re Me and You Know You're Right) are awesome, raw and pure emotion...Imagine what their next record might've been like.

I notice that around '94-96 grunge in general became a lot more raw, especially in '94 with songs like Black Whole Sun and Another Man.

I assume you mean that he would not be suicidal anymore either. In that case, they likely would not have continued as successfully because part of what made them great was what ended it in the end - Kurt's serious clinical depression leading to suicide. We were lucky that he used music as an outlet for as long as he did, but either he would have gotten worse and probably to the point of not being able to create, or he would have gotten help and the change would have been reflected in his music.

I assume you mean that he would not be suicidal anymore either. In that case, they likely would not have continued as successfully because part of what made them great was what ended it in the end - Kurt's serious clinical depression leading to suicide. We were lucky that he used music as an outlet for as long as he did, but either he would have gotten worse and probably to the point of not being able to create, or he would have gotten help and the change would have been reflected in his music.

Axl sort of went the route that Cobain would have: I think around '94-99 Axl entered a serious depression, possibly even as deep as Kurts, which is why we heard neither head nor tail from him and also why according to all accounts he didn't write any lyrics after This I Love (written in '93) until Madagascar (written in '98). His depression crippled him so that he simply went underground and shutdown in a different way. Kurt did it literally--killing himself. Axl basically killed himself publically by disappearing. Both happened around the same time--Axl's last appearance until 1999 was in January '94 and Kurt killed himself in April '94.

Edited by MetalForever

I disagree with Grunge getting "rawer" in '94-'96. If anything, it got more watered-down and you got a bunch of post-grunge shit.

Agreed. It seemed after the end of Nirvana, no one was left to keep the standard of raw grundge or to have the vision to lead that genre in the direction it could have been heading towards.

I mean, I am a big Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam fan but those bands were really something else in the first place. AIC and SG being closer to metal to my ears anyway, and PJ sounding nothing like Nirvana imo.

No one was there to replace Kurt's music, because no one else was like him. I think he was one of a kind, at least in his approach to music.

Edited by Rovim

I disagree with Grunge getting "rawer" in '94-'96. If anything, it got more watered-down and you got a bunch of post-grunge shit.

Absolutely.

In fact it all seemed to be going through the motions,and Kurt would have been the first to notice it...if he indeed hadn't already.

It would have been interesting to see if they (essentailly Kurt) would have been able to take things in different directions and shake things up.Otherwise,they would have eventually bogged down and not progressed;they don't strike me as the type of guys who would suffer that gladly.

So to that end,yeah...the next album probably would have been amazing.

Post-Grunge was great imo.

In fact, there are more great post grunge albums, than great grunge albums.

I can't even think of one good post-grunge song. It's on the same level as Hair Metal for me. Generic, embarrassing shite.

Post-Grunge was great imo.

In fact, there are more great post grunge albums, than great grunge albums.

I can't even think of one good post-grunge song. It's on the same level as Hair Metal for me. Generic, embarrassing shite.

Jesus.. you need to expand you horizons!!

Imo, 90's post grunge is better than grunge.

Edited by SunnyDRE

Well, my post wasn't in reply to you - in fact I never reply to your posts, because I try not to reply to poster's who I think are stupid **shrugs**

But yeah **sigh** I do agree, I do need to get a grip on things...a couple of people I know tell me that shit all the time, and I'm always just so indecisive on things....ya know what I mean?

And yeah, I probaly do need to get laid more.....just seems like when you guys are going steady, she gives it up alot less.

More Post Grunge Greatness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-1LehagM9k&player_feature=embed

I like some Post Grunge. Quite a few of the songs that Sunny has posted are good, in my opinion. The main problem I have with Post Grunge is that most of the albums would contain the hit singles that are worth listening to, but the rest of the album is filled with samey crap that's just a displeasure to listen to. This is the same problem I have with Hair Metal. I own a few Hair Metal albums, but ever since I switched to "full album listening", I've rarely listened to them. But I hate most Post Grunge. Still, songs like "Plowed" are awesome.

But I prefer the real thing tenfold.

See whenever I listen to stuff like that I just think about how awesome real grunge is.

I love real grunge (anyone who has followed my posts knows what I think of nevermind), but at times it can be......."biting"; sometimes i just want hear straight ahead rock songs, with a grunge feel, ya know?

In a sense, yes, because the Unplugged concert was the best this band's ever done, and I'd liked to see what the planned acoustic solo album by Kurt with Michael Stipe would've been like.

In my oppinion the Unplugged show was Kurt's goodbye to his fans when you look for example at the stage set up (white lily's and candles) and te setlist of that show.

In a sense, yes, because the Unplugged concert was the best this band's ever done, and I'd liked to see what the planned acoustic solo album by Kurt with Michael Stipe would've been like.

In my oppinion the Unplugged show was Kurt's goodbye to his fans when you look for example at the stage set up (white lily's and candles) and te setlist of that show.

The unplugged show is indeed amazing, and his voice is so raw and powerful that its often cited, with the layout and stuff, as almost eerie. But isn't it the case that the band were joking around and having a great time? I am sure I have heard that in numerous places - over here there was a documentary about early 90s music and they ended with a focus on that show and really overplayed the IT LOOKS LIKE A FUNERAL aspect of that show. Not that you were asserting that but I hear it put about.

The unplugged show is indeed amazing, and his voice is so raw and powerful that its often cited, with the layout and stuff, as almost eerie. But isn't it the case that the band were joking around and having a great time? I am sure I have heard that in numerous places - over here there was a documentary about early 90s music and they ended with a focus on that show and really overplayed the IT LOOKS LIKE A FUNERAL aspect of that show. Not that you were asserting that but I hear it put about.

Yes, the band was joking around a lot but some songs of the setlist just make me think that Kurt wanted to give a message to his fans. Watch the last 6 songs (Something in the way, Plateau, Oh,me, Lake of fire, All apologies, Where did you sleep last night?) if you have the dvd and you'll know what i'm talking about.

Yes, the band was joking around a lot but some songs of the setlist just make me think that Kurt wanted to give a message to his fans. Watch the last 6 songs (Something in the way, Plateau, Oh,me, Lake of fire, All apologies, Where did you sleep last night?) if you have the dvd and you'll know what i'm talking about.

Especially his last deep breath (or it's merely a deep sigh) in Where did you sleep last night has something really really haunting imo...

Especially his last deep breath (or it's merely a deep sigh) in Where did you sleep last night has something really really haunting imo...

Some lyrics of Oh, me:

If I had to lose a mile

If I had to touch feelings

I would lose my soul

The way I do

I don't have to think

I only have to do it

The results are always perfect

But that's old news.

Would you like to hear my voice

Sprinkled with emotion

Invented at your birth?