Will the media's mis-portrayal of Axl during the recent Euro shows negatively impact the probability of a US tour?

Best Regards

I think it's pretty shitty the way that the media has mis-portayed Axl's actions during the recent Reading, Leeds, and Dublin shows. It's as if they don't care that they are negatively impacting one's life and livelihood with their gutter journalism. Instead of them praising Axl's heroism in getting his band-mates off-stage while being attacked with plastic cups full of "unknown" substances, they instead paint him as some sort of insensitive asshole who cares about no one but himself. Instead of them praising his dedication to the fans for not putting on a show until he is fully ready to give his best performance, they criticize him for being a dickhead who makes his fans pointlessly wait for hours. Their willingness to put a negative spin on a positive situation just to make a buck is disgusting.

Do any of you think the media's misportrayal of events will negatively impact a US tour (assuming that they plan to at some point)? Or is the public just brainwashed in to thinking this is just par for the course with Axl?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's pretty shitty the way that the media has mis-portayed Axl's actions during the recent Reading, Leeds, and Dublin shows. It's as if they don't care that they are negatively impacting one's life and livelihood with their gutter journalism. Instead of them praising Axl's heroism in getting his band-mates off-stage while being attacked with plastic cups full of "unknown" substances, they instead paint him as some sort of insensitive asshole who cares about no one but himself. Instead of them praising his dedication to the fans for not putting on a show until he is fully ready to give his best performance, they criticize him for being a dickhead who makes his fans pointlessly wait for hours. Their willingness to put a negative spin on a positive situation just to make a buck is disgusting.

Do any of you think the media's misportrayal of events will negatively impact a US tour (assuming that they plan to at some point)? Or is the public just brainwashed in to thinking this is just par for the course with Axl?

heroism?

wtf is wrong with you?

The media writes negative shit about axl, because axl does negative shit.

Noone is being brainwashed.

While I'm not quite as... one-sided on the issue as the original poster, that's not entirely true.

The media writes negative shit about Axl because he has, historically and repeatedly, told them to fuck off, and ignored them. He doesn't pander to them and they enjoy using their medium to get some pay-back. Look at the number of reviews over the years that failed to talk about the music and only the image. Look at the number of errors in articles related to this band, and the number of unfounded rumours printed - far worse than any other outfit.

So no, not all of it is deserved. Some? yeah, sure, but again - two wrongs don't make a right. Certain news outlets can't even quote press releases properly when it comes to this band.

Will it hurt a tour? Not likely when the promoter of Leeds and Reading says publicly that he'd book the band again, since they helped him draw massive crowds. It also helps when you sell out the first four nights of the tour.

Despite the negative B.S. we've had to deal with the band has been rocking for nearly a year now.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I was on a GNR fansite. :rolleyes:

So, by your insane logic, someone who loves Vincent Van Gogh's paintings can in no way admit that he was bat-shit crazy for cutting his ear off, as that would make them a lesser fan? :shock:

Actually the media only pretty much covers negative shit, it's what sells. Negativity trumps anything else. Sunny do you work for the media? Just curious...

There was one cup and one bottle of water thrown on stage at Dublin!

Look, we don't know what was in that bottle or cup. If either were filled with piss, would you still feel the same?

I'm sure that Axl feels responsible for the safety of his band, and I can understand why he wouldn't be willing to subject them to any unnecessary danger.

So yes, his actions were heroic and selfless in nature.

Edited by Best Regards

The media hates Axl for no good reason 99% of the time. He's had a war with the media for a long time, so of course there's going to people who always shit on him for no good reason.

It's nothing new, and has been going on with GNR and Axl since the beginning of the band. The fact of the matter is he's out there putting on killer rock shows, and when the critics deny that they're lying straight through their teeth.

If this was any other formation of GNR, you hater retards would be on his side against all the critics(Just like you were in the 90's), so stop acting like everything they say is true.

What has been reported that isn't true?

Can some please explain this big worldwide conspiracy to me.

I'll give you that, it wasn't excatly put in the headline that axl won the crowd over at the first festival (why would he even need to win the crowd over? bet a reader would want to know that), but after that I think the media has been pretty fair.

In fact, I think they cut axl some slack, by not jumping all over the story about him punching the promotor. I would have thought that would have been a bigger story, but their weren't many articles, and that was actually confirmed.

------

Anyway, this isn't the media mis-potraying axl or conspiring to bring him down - fuck, the first reports of anything that happen in euro, CAME FROM GNR BOARDS!! FROM GNR POSTERS!! The media was late...or basically didn't care, unless the concert happen in their area.

hell, tmz didn't even care.

In fact, I think they cut axl some slack, by not jumping all over the story about him punching the promotor. I would have thought that would have been a bigger story, but their weren't many articles, and that was actually confirmed.

Do you have a link to that story? I've not heard anything about that.

http://www.joe.ie/entertainment/entertainment-news/guns-n-roses-frontman-in-backstage-confrontation-004969-1

There was one cup and one bottle of water thrown on stage at Dublin!

Look, we don't know what was in that bottle or cup. If either were filled with piss, would you still feel the same?

I'm sure that Axl feels responsible for the safety of his band, and I can understand why he wouldn't be willing to subject them to any unnecessary danger.

So yes, his actions were heroic and selfless in nature.

Ever thought that if he'd been on stage on time non of this would've happened? Just saying.

Ever thought that isn't for us to decide or dictate? Look, it is widely known that Axl often takes the stage later than scheduled. WE ALL know this! If you decide to go to a GNR show anyway, you are accepting that risk. And like I've said several times, I find it admirable that Axl cares enough for his fans that he isn't willing to take the stage until he's feeling his best. Most other artists would sooner wake up an hour earlier to take the stage on time, not caring at all if they're giving their best to their fans.

Guest RonMexico82

The promoters wife confirmed on Irish TV that Axl punched her husband backstage. He returned the favour.

Edited by RonMexico82

First of all, not defending anyone hitting anyone. However, you force me to stay somewhere when I want to leave, I'm not going to be happy about it, and I am going to leave.

Now change that to Axl you're not allowing to leave. Him throwing a punch is not much of a surprise.

http://www.joe.ie/entertainment/entertainment-news/guns-n-roses-frontman-in-backstage-confrontation-004969-1

Well, if joe.ie is reporting this, then it must be true. :rolleyes:

Let's say for the sake of argument that Axl was forced to get physical, we don't know what the promoter did to prompt this reaction from him. Remember, Axl was trying to get his band to safety where foreign objects filled with unknown substances weren't be chucked at them.

Edited by Best Regards

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I was on a GNR fansite. :rolleyes:

SunnyDRE is not a GN'R fan.

I'm not?

I've never seen a single positive post from you in this forum about the band. I honestly have no idea why you're here, other than as someone looking for attention by trolling the board.

You sort of defeat your own point by posting this. It's a third hand report. joe.ie quotes the Sun (a tabloid) who quote an "inside source" like they just happen to have spies working backstage at gigs just in case.

There's no mention of this by the promoter himself, no confirmation from any other source, no photo or video proof, no attempt to ask the band for comment.

So yeah. The media is doing a bang-up job. You know that one is questionable though since most news outlets realized how iffy it was and didn't run with it.