Will the media's mis-portrayal of Axl during the recent Euro shows negatively impact the probability of a US tour?

Best Regards

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was one cup and one bottle of water thrown on stage at Dublin!

Look, we don't know what was in that bottle or cup. If either were filled with piss, would you still feel the same?

I'm sure that Axl feels responsible for the safety of his band, and I can understand why he wouldn't be willing to subject them to any unnecessary danger.

So yes, his actions were heroic and selfless in nature.

Ever thought that if he'd been on stage on time non of this would've happened? Just saying.

Idiots throw things even when bands are on time, so your logic fails. Beyond that, two wrongs do not make a right.

The media writes negative shit about axl, because axl does negative shit.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I was on a GNR fansite. :rolleyes:

SunnyDRE is not a GN'R fan.

I'm not?

I've never seen a single positive post from you in this forum about the band. I honestly have no idea why you're here, other than as someone looking for attention by trolling the board.

In fact, I think they cut axl some slack, by not jumping all over the story about him punching the promotor. I would have thought that would have been a bigger story, but their weren't many articles, and that was actually confirmed.

Do you have a link to that story? I've not heard anything about that.

http://www.joe.ie/entertainment/entertainment-news/guns-n-roses-frontman-in-backstage-confrontation-004969-1

You sort of defeat your own point by posting this. It's a third hand report. joe.ie quotes the Sun (a tabloid) who quote an "inside source" like they just happen to have spies working backstage at gigs just in case.

There's no mention of this by the promoter himself, no confirmation from any other source, no photo or video proof, no attempt to ask the band for comment.

So yeah. The media is doing a bang-up job. You know that one is questionable though since most news outlets realized how iffy it was and didn't run with it.

Every paper with the word "Sun" at the end is not a tabloid; and according to another poster who happens to live Ireland, the promoter's wife confirmed on tv, that some fistacuff's where exchanged between axl and her husband

Now as for my level fandom or why I post here, blah blah - Don't worry about it **shrugs**; If you feel that I'm negative or looking for attention - block me or don't respond.

I think it's pretty shitty the way that the media has mis-portayed Axl's actions during the recent Reading, Leeds, and Dublin shows. It's as if they don't care that they are negatively impacting one's life and livelihood with their gutter journalism. Instead of them praising Axl's heroism in getting his band-mates off-stage while being attacked with plastic cups full of "unknown" substances, they instead paint him as some sort of insensitive asshole who cares about no one but himself. Instead of them praising his dedication to the fans for not putting on a show until he is fully ready to give his best performance, they criticize him for being a dickhead who makes his fans pointlessly wait for hours. Their willingness to put a negative spin on a positive situation just to make a buck is disgusting.

Do any of you think the media's misportrayal of events will negatively impact a US tour (assuming that they plan to at some point)? Or is the public just brainwashed in to thinking this is just par for the course with Axl?

I think the absence of Slash will negatively impact a US tour. As much as Europeans and South Americans might nay say the US, they eat up anything and everything American, including lone rock stars who ditched their band years ago. Axl's no dummy and he knows this, which is why he can still play to crowds the size that he does and why he hasn't been on tour in the US since '06 - which wasn't really a tour. I was at Worcester in '06 and there were thousands of empty seats as well as lots of open GA area. It was great for the Axl fan but not good as it was evident that in a 10,000 seat arena, he was pushing the limits of adequate venue size. He really should start playing some high end club shows to build it all back up then start hitting the arenas. It aint '92 anymore.

Axl hates the media, the media hates Axl. He won't cater to them so the media hate's him. If Axl wasl ike SLash, the media would love him, but he's not.

The thing is that he'll always be the same way, but for osme reason no one realizes it. When he's late, people seem surpried or pissed. It's GN'R, he's gonna be late, even though it's stupid, he still does it.

The media will never say anything positive about him. To them, he's the bad guy, the guy who's living in the past, the fat, old, sloppy, jerk who hates everybody and his fans. But what about TMZ video when he was just walking around the street with a smile on his face, or the video on Youtube where he is taking pictures with fans and giving them autographs.

Axl is a who, unless he reunite with the old band, will always be hated by the media. It's a shame really.

I'm not?

I've never seen a single positive post from you in this forum about the band. I honestly have no idea why you're here, other than as someone looking for attention by trolling the board.

In fact, I think they cut axl some slack, by not jumping all over the story about him punching the promotor. I would have thought that would have been a bigger story, but their weren't many articles, and that was actually confirmed.

http://www.joe.ie/entertainment/entertainment-news/guns-n-roses-frontman-in-backstage-confrontation-004969-1

You sort of defeat your own point by posting this. It's a third hand report. joe.ie quotes the Sun (a tabloid) who quote an "inside source" like they just happen to have spies working backstage at gigs just in case.

There's no mention of this by the promoter himself, no confirmation from any other source, no photo or video proof, no attempt to ask the band for comment.

So yeah. The media is doing a bang-up job. You know that one is questionable though since most news outlets realized how iffy it was and didn't run with it.

Every paper with the word "Sun" at the end is not a tabloid; and according to another poster who happens to live Ireland, the promoter's wife confirmed on tv, that some fistacuff's where exchanged between axl and her husband

Now as for my level fandom or why I post here, blah blah - Don't worry about it **shrugs**; If you feel that I'm negative or looking for attention - block me or don't respond.

I didn't say every paper with that name was a tabloid. The Irish Sun, however, is:

"The Sun is a daily tabloid newspaper published in the United Kingdom and Ireland (where it is known as The Irish Sun)." Thank you Wikipedia.

One and the same, with a horrid reputation.

And "another poster" is not winning me over. To quote an overused internet cliche, pics or it didn't happen. Or in this case, video or it didn't happen. An anonymous poster referring to a video we haven't seen of an interview with the wife of the promoter, who may or may not have actually seen it herself. In other words, third hand hearsay.

Block you? Why, it's more fun to point out the glaring holes in your misinformation.

The general media portrays Guns N' Roses and Axl as shit because they're able to and only focus on the bad. The media doesn't care about how many kick ass shows Guns' gives to so many fans, whether they're in America or anywhere else. They want to report on Axl not showing, Axl leaving, Axl being late, and whatever else might happen that's negative. Every article has a different reason behind it being written; either it's written by someone who is stuck in the past and can't seem to get over Slash not being in the band, either it's someone who doesn't even care about Guns N' Roses, either someone who thinks Guns should be the old band and basically have become a typical washed up 80's band (which a lot of people seem to love. I don't know why.) etc.

The thing is, your average person only hears that and reads those articles, so yes, I agree they are brainwashed if you want to put it in those words. We, MGNRF and other online GN'R communitues and shit, actually appreciate what Guns and Axl do and know what actually goes on, and yeah, Axl does not show up, show up late, walk off, whatever sometimes, and no denying, that sucks. I would be pretty upset if I didn't get to see Guns when I paid to, of course. As far as affecting a tour here, I don't know. There's always going to be GN'R fans wanting to see 'em, who know Guns still kick ass. You can also follow the rule, "Any publicity, is good publicity." It's true, there will be assholes who show up to Guns shows just to see "how bad they suck" and in waiting "for Axl to not show up." Maybe I'm biased because I hate the media, but it is true that putting down GN'R is the trend. That's the biggest reason for the negative articles, it's just a flock of sheep leading more sheep.

Yep,

AxlRocks

Axl hates the media, the media hates Axl. He won't cater to them so the media hate's him. If Axl wasl ike SLash, the media would love him, but he's not.

The thing is that he'll always be the same way, but for osme reason no one realizes it. When he's late, people seem surpried or pissed. It's GN'R, he's gonna be late, even though it's stupid, he still does it.

The media will never say anything positive about him. To them, he's the bad guy, the guy who's living in the past, the fat, old, sloppy, jerk who hates everybody and his fans. But what about TMZ video when he was just walking around the street with a smile on his face, or the video on Youtube where he is taking pictures with fans and giving them autographs.

Axl is a who, unless he reunite with the old band, will always be hated by the media. It's a shame really.

Exactly

It's true they take a few incidents and blow it up into something that happens every show. And you know how those papers write, the hack gets a couple pieces of paper with quotes and reviews and they say write a paragraph about GNR you know the usual stuff. You dont break the narrative thread, you keep readers hooked, they dont care about the shows they probably jealous of anyone with talent

Edited by wasted

Look, we don't know what was in that bottle or cup. If either were filled with piss, would you still feel the same?

I'm sure that Axl feels responsible for the safety of his band, and I can understand why he wouldn't be willing to subject them to any unnecessary danger.

So yes, his actions were heroic and selfless in nature.

You idiot, had Axl and the boys come on ontime in Dublin i dont think there wouldve been any trouble, the idiots who ended up ruining the show at the end of the day dont go there to ruin the show, but frustation mixed with too much alcohol and a low iq causes them to do that shit, theyre thick.

But if axl came on ontime, there would never be as much trouble at his shows, so its his fault, then the idiots in the crowd, who he then threatens and all hell breaks loose, its all pretty pathetic really.

Guest RonMexico82

I'm not?

I didn't say every paper with that name was a tabloid. The Irish Sun, however, is:

"The Sun is a daily tabloid newspaper published in the United Kingdom and Ireland (where it is known as The Irish Sun)." Thank you Wikipedia.

One and the same, with a horrid reputation.

And "another poster" is not winning me over. To quote an overused internet cliche, pics or it didn't happen. Or in this case, video or it didn't happen. An anonymous poster referring to a video we haven't seen of an interview with the wife of the promoter, who may or may not have actually seen it herself. In other words, third hand hearsay.

Block you? Why, it's more fun to point out the glaring holes in your misinformation.

That works both ways. Here is a link to the video in question. Interview with Dennis Desmonds wife starts at 00:50 into the video.

http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=26691&locID=1.65.68&date=2010-09-06&date_mode=&page=1&show_cal=2&newspanel=&showspanel=&web_only=&full_episodes=

I think it's pretty shitty the way that the media has mis-portayed Axl's actions during the recent Reading, Leeds, and Dublin shows. It's as if they don't care that they are negatively impacting one's life and livelihood with their gutter journalism. Instead of them praising Axl's heroism in getting his band-mates off-stage while being attacked with plastic cups full of "unknown" substances, they instead paint him as some sort of insensitive asshole who cares about no one but himself. Instead of them praising his dedication to the fans for not putting on a show until he is fully ready to give his best performance, they criticize him for being a dickhead who makes his fans pointlessly wait for hours. Their willingness to put a negative spin on a positive situation just to make a buck is disgusting.

Do any of you think the media's misportrayal of events will negatively impact a US tour (assuming that they plan to at some point)? Or is the public just brainwashed in to thinking this is just par for the course with Axl?

wait, did you say misportrayal and gutter journalism? negatively impacting one's life and livelihood? praising his dedication to the fans? positive situation?

Dude, what the fuck are you thinking? Please get your head out of Axl's ass and join the rest of the worl in reality, OK :thumbsup:

The facts are the facts and Axl Rose has consistently incited fans by taking the stage late since the early 90's. If it's a case of his voice not being ready, maybe he should start his vocal warm-ups an hour or two earlier?

As for the possibility of a US Tour, at this point I could give a fuck because I'm going to see Slash Tuesday night and I'm sure I wont be kept waiting for 2 hours after showtime for him to come on stage since his vocalist is a professional who gets himself ready by the time he's supposed to be on stage. Out of all the concerts I've ever been to, the only band/group/singer who has ever had repeated issues of taking the stage on time is Axl Rose.

Please stop making excuses for the guy, its fucking embarassing :thumbsup:

you are but the facts are the facts and the fact is Axl does negative shit that gets negative news reports

Noone is being brainwashed.

I do not agree with that. Of course coming on stage late and leaving the stage etc. gives things a negative spin. But after attending the excellent concert in Zurich (everyone I know had a great time there and was surprised how good Axl`s voice was) there were some very negative reviews in the papers (blasted by the fans). I am not a big Axl defender, but my impression was, most of these so called journalists/critics do not even bother to listen to the "new" band or even try to enjoy the show. They go there with the opinion "It will suck, I will write something about it". I read some reviews stating that people had to wait for hours and the only recognizable song did not happen until half the show, while in truth the show started at 9:40 and after CD they played WTJ, It`s so easy and Mr. Brownstone (excellent).

We had nothing but the best time and I cannot wait to see them again next week in Geneva.

So fuck all the negative press!! Go to the shows have the best time!

That works both ways. Here is a link to the video in question. Interview with Dennis Desmonds wife starts at 00:50 into the video.

http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=26691&locID=1.65.68&date=2010-09-06&date_mode=&page=1&show_cal=2&newspanel=&showspanel=&web_only=&full_episodes=

I'm glad you posted that, thanks! Because again, it proves my point.

First off, the interviewer specifically states that the rumour is the PROMOTER punched AXL first. But, I guess that doesn't matter to SunnyDRE who thinks the story is all about Axl.

Direct quote: "What's the truth in this rumour that Dennis gave him a punch and he (Axl) gave him a punch back?"

She doesn't even answer the question directly. She says "it got a little bit physical." No real detail.

But here you have a "fan" like SunnyDRE spinning the story and leaving out the whole "the promoter punched first" angle that even this tabloid show had in. In SunnyDRE's post, she claims the media has gone easy on Axl for not running a story about him punching the promoter, when in reality, according to this video, the media has gone easy on the promoter by not running a story about HIM punching the guy who was there to play for the fans! Beyond that, well, self defence anyone?

Second, she never verifies if she was there, and I'm sure her husband made himself out to be the white knight. And I don't blame him for that, by the way. He has a business to run.

And the rest of the interview overdubs questions so that you don't hear them all. It's edited. The part about "lets clear up the rumour about Axl sleeping before going on stage" doesn't even answer the question at all!

Again, this is shoddy journalism, although not as shoddy as SunnyDRE's re-wording of it.

It's purple monkey dishwasher syndrome.

Guest RonMexico82

I'm glad you posted that, thanks! Because again, it proves my point.

First off, the interviewer specifically states that the rumour is the PROMOTER punched AXL first. But, I guess that doesn't matter to SunnyDRE who thinks the story is all about Axl.

Direct quote: "What's the truth in this rumour that Dennis gave him a punch and he (Axl) gave him a punch back?"

She doesn't even answer the question directly. She says "it got a little bit physical." No real detail.

But here you have a "fan" like SunnyDRE spinning the story and leaving out the whole "the promoter punched first" angle that even this tabloid show had in. In SunnyDRE's post, she claims the media has gone easy on Axl for not running a story about him punching the promoter, when in reality, according to this video, the media has gone easy on the promoter by not running a story about HIM punching the guy who was there to play for the fans! Beyond that, well, self defence anyone?

Second, she never verifies if she was there, and I'm sure her husband made himself out to be the white knight. And I don't blame him for that, by the way. He has a business to run.

And the rest of the interview overdubs questions so that you don't hear them all. It's edited. The part about "lets clear up the rumour about Axl sleeping before going on stage" doesn't even answer the question at all!

Again, this is shoddy journalism, although not as shoddy as SunnyDRE's re-wording of it.

It's purple monkey dishwasher syndrome.

Oh fuck off seriously :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Do any of you think the media's misportrayal of events will negatively impact a US tour (assuming that they plan to at some point)?

Many journalists give very biased reports when they have to talk about Axl/GNR. But GNR was always surrounded by negative press from the start. Now, it’s worst because the line-up isn’t the same so journalists have another aspect of GNR to criticize. But I don’t think these incidents will stop the US tour. Besides, GNR has already been portrayed as a joke since 2001, :P . Negative press? Well, nothing new. If GNR wants to play in the US, they’ll do it.