Will the media's mis-portrayal of Axl during the recent Euro shows negatively impact the probability of a US tour?

Best Regards

That works both ways. Here is a link to the video in question. Interview with Dennis Desmonds wife starts at 00:50 into the video.

http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=26691&locID=1.65.68&date=2010-09-06&date_mode=&page=1&show_cal=2&newspanel=&showspanel=&web_only=&full_episodes=

I'm glad you posted that, thanks! Because again, it proves my point.

First off, the interviewer specifically states that the rumour is the PROMOTER punched AXL first. But, I guess that doesn't matter to SunnyDRE who thinks the story is all about Axl.

Direct quote: "What's the truth in this rumour that Dennis gave him a punch and he (Axl) gave him a punch back?"

She doesn't even answer the question directly. She says "it got a little bit physical." No real detail.

But here you have a "fan" like SunnyDRE spinning the story and leaving out the whole "the promoter punched first" angle that even this tabloid show had in. In SunnyDRE's post, she claims the media has gone easy on Axl for not running a story about him punching the promoter, when in reality, according to this video, the media has gone easy on the promoter by not running a story about HIM punching the guy who was there to play for the fans! Beyond that, well, self defence anyone?

Second, she never verifies if she was there, and I'm sure her husband made himself out to be the white knight. And I don't blame him for that, by the way. He has a business to run.

And the rest of the interview overdubs questions so that you don't hear them all. It's edited. The part about "lets clear up the rumour about Axl sleeping before going on stage" doesn't even answer the question at all!

Again, this is shoddy journalism, although not as shoddy as SunnyDRE's re-wording of it.

It's purple monkey dishwasher syndrome.

Oh fuck off seriously :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

That's a direct quote from the video you provided. Did you not watch it before posting it? This whole thing is suddenly hilarious at this point.

Seems to me, again, that certain people are only happy when it's negative about the band. See, when the video was "Axl punches a promoter" - oooh lets talk about it. Despite the fact that it's questionable bs.

When it comes out "the promoter punches Axl and Axl punches back" - suddenly you don't have a reply? It's still questionable bs, the same video, but when the shoe's on the other foot, no one cares.

All I see in this thread, other than the opening post being way too pro-band, do no wrong, is that certain people here don't care about reality and only want to trash the band.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RonMexico82

That works both ways. Here is a link to the video in question. Interview with Dennis Desmonds wife starts at 00:50 into the video.

http://www.tv3.ie/videos.php?video=26691&locID=1.65.68&date=2010-09-06&date_mode=&page=1&show_cal=2&newspanel=&showspanel=&web_only=&full_episodes=

First off, the interviewer specifically states that the rumour is the PROMOTER punched AXL first. But, I guess that doesn't matter to SunnyDRE who thinks the story is all about Axl.

Direct quote: "What's the truth in this rumour that Dennis gave him a punch and he (Axl) gave him a punch back?"

She doesn't even answer the question directly. She says "it got a little bit physical." No real detail.

But here you have a "fan" like SunnyDRE spinning the story and leaving out the whole "the promoter punched first" angle that even this tabloid show had in. In SunnyDRE's post, she claims the media has gone easy on Axl for not running a story about him punching the promoter, when in reality, according to this video, the media has gone easy on the promoter by not running a story about HIM punching the guy who was there to play for the fans! Beyond that, well, self defence anyone?

Second, she never verifies if she was there, and I'm sure her husband made himself out to be the white knight. And I don't blame him for that, by the way. He has a business to run.

And the rest of the interview overdubs questions so that you don't hear them all. It's edited. The part about "lets clear up the rumour about Axl sleeping before going on stage" doesn't even answer the question at all!

Again, this is shoddy journalism, although not as shoddy as SunnyDRE's re-wording of it.

That's a direct quote from the video you provided. Did you not watch it before posting it? This whole thing is suddenly hilarious at this point.

Seems to me, again, that certain people are only happy when it's negative about the band. See, when the video was "Axl punches a promoter" - oooh lets talk about it. Despite the fact that it's questionable bs.

When it comes out "the promoter punches Axl and Axl punches back" - suddenly you don't have a reply? It's still questionable bs, the same video, but when the shoe's on the other foot, no one cares.

All I see in this thread, other than the opening post being way too pro-band, do no wrong, is that certain people here don't care about reality and only want to trash the band.

No actually I am willing to look at this from other than a playground perspective.

Who threw the first punch is irrelevant. What caused that to happen is however.

and to answer in writing to the question: no. because Guns N' Roses were, from the beginning a band with "bad" media. so their relation with the press was and will be head-to-head.

about, the little interview with the wife of the promoter from Dublin, it's so funny, when she said :"yeah, they are from the '80s, but bands don't do that anymore, because they are professional" so, it's like rock n'roll is becoming "just" a show. and she should have said that today's rock bands are just entertainers not rockers. no attitude. just laim ass musicians.

so yeas, this band will remain "the dangerous band" because, when they come into town, it could be roses it could be guns, you never know.

and, what is most hilarious is to see "the slaves" how they ask one remaining free will band to stop being like that and to get in "the line"! :)

yeap, because we, the flock don't like the black sheep, no. we want each sheep to be white.

were is the media when GNR has a kick ass show? ha?! because, you see, they are only covering "bad incidents"

and were is the media when GNR added a new date for London because of the demand? why only second class media reported that?http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/161352/9 and see that GNR Chinese Democracy tour is becoming a new record for this band, 9 years, until now and 3.5 million people attendance. not to bad, is it? so, my point is that people will go to GNR concerts in the US, and this time around, especially for the bad reviews they will fill out arenas/stadiums because, when it comes to this, people want to be at a show were things could go wrong or they will wanna go just to trash this band because is not the real one or, the majority, will go just see a great band giving a great performance, because now, we have YouTube and can see for our selfs what it's going on!

minute 1 "we are sorry, we are sorry" :D and watch the whole think... the crowd was in majority still there, just a few left. and they all cheer when GNR did come back! and they cheer every song! ok? ok.
look at Dj Ashba as he pounds together with Frank! rock3

to my comfort there still is a big band which caries the rock spirit on!

and to answer in writing to the question: no. because Guns N' Roses were, from the beginning a band with "bad" media. so their relation with the press was and will be head-to-head.

about, the little interview with the wife of the promoter from Dublin, it's so funny, when she said :"yeah, they are from the '80s, but bands don't do that anymore, because they are professional" so, it's like rock n'roll is becoming "just" a show. and she should have said that today's rock bands are just entertainers not rockers. no attitude. just laim ass musicians.

so yeas, this band will remain "the dangerous band" because, when they come into town, it could be roses it could be guns, you never know.

and, what is most hilarious is to see "the slaves" how they ask one remaining free will band to stop being like that and to get in "the line"! :)

yeap, because we, the flock don't like the black sheep, no. we want each sheep to be white.

were is the media when GNR has a kick ass show? ha?! because, you see, they are only covering "bad incidents"

and were is the media when GNR added a new date for London because of the demand? why only second class media reported that?http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/161352/9 and see that GNR Chinese Democracy tour is becoming a new record for this band, 9 years, until now and 3.5 million people attendance. not to bad, is it? so, my point is that people will go to GNR concerts in the US, and this time around, especially for the bad reviews they will fill out arenas/stadiums because, when it comes to this, people want to be at a show were things could go wrong or they will wanna go just to trash this band because is not the real one or, the majority, will go just see a great band giving a great performance, because now, we have YouTube and can see for our selfs what it's going on!

minute 1 "we are sorry, we are sorry" :D and watch the whole think... the crowd was in majority still there, just a few left. and they all cheer when GNR did come back! and they cheer every song! ok? ok.

nothings more dangerous than showing up late!

Do any of you think the media's misportrayal of events will negatively impact a US tour (assuming that they plan to at some point)?

No, I'd have to say the multimillion dollar lawsuit with the head of Ticketmaster, his old manager, would have more of an impact on that. Maybe ya missed the news!?

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=164443

Don't mean to sound sarcastic, but yeah this would be a bigger stumbling block.

Do any of you think the media's misportrayal of events will negatively impact a US tour (assuming that they plan to at some point)?

Many journalists give very biased reports when they have to talk about Axl/GNR. But GNR was always surrounded by negative press from the start. Now, it’s worst because the line-up isn’t the same so journalists have another aspect of GNR to criticize. But I don’t think these incidents will stop the US tour. Besides, GNR has already been portrayed as a joke since 2001, :P . Negative press? Well, nothing new. If GNR wants to play in the US, they’ll do it.

actually, GNR was not surrounded by negative press from the start; only from the UYI albums/tour onward; but for AFD, not at all

wait, so your gonna state that "GNR Chinese Democracy tour is becoming a new record for this band, 9 years, until now and 3.5 million people attendance" :rofl-lol:

the fact they've been touring the same album for almost 10 yrs is almost as laughable is the 15 yrs it took for the album to come out; or the 1 year+ that past before they went on tour when it actually was released

and people wonder why poor axl gets bad press, wake the fuck up people :thumbsup:

Many journalists give very biased reports when they have to talk about Axl/GNR. But GNR was always surrounded by negative press from the start. Now, it’s worst because the line-up isn’t the same so journalists have another aspect of GNR to criticize. But I don’t think these incidents will stop the US tour. Besides, GNR has already been portrayed as a joke since 2001, :P . Negative press? Well, nothing new. If GNR wants to play in the US, they’ll do it.

actually, GNR was not surrounded by negative press from the start; only from the UYI albums/tour onward; but for AFD, not at all

wait, so your gonna state that "GNR Chinese Democracy tour is becoming a new record for this band, 9 years, until now and 3.5 million people attendance" :rofl-lol:

the fact they've been touring the same album for almost 10 yrs is almost as laughable is the 15 yrs it took for the album to come out; or the 1 year+ that past before they went on tour when it actually was released

and people wonder why poor axl gets bad press, wake the fuck up people :thumbsup:

i am awake, i'm not a sheep so for me a band which doesn't put out albums year after year just to do good for fans (fanatics), it's ok. GNR rock. and yeas it's mind blowing to tour for 2 times 2001-2002(disastrous ) , 2006-2007(successful) for an album which wasn't out yet, but that is real deal, they did it! and yeas they took a year after the release of the album to tour it, and now we are at the III "campaign" of Chinese Democracy World Tour, and yeas we could laugh at or we could appreciate the amount of trust that this guys have in their own creation, artistically speaking. do you trust your self to live your life as you want and not as parents, relatives, teachers, neighbors, police, administrative suits, friends, enemies, priests etc. expect you too?! ha?

and it's about the attitude. you, the complainers, want GNR to be as mediocre as the rest of them. to be on time as you are at your jobs, to be radio friendly, to be good with media, with the fans etc.

then again were would be the rock n' roll spirit? you for shore don't got one. we should praise each artist, better yet each human which doesn't obey the system, doesn't go by "the rules". so better yet, you shoul "wake the fuck up" and stop perpetuate the sheep like attitude! ok? :thumbsup:

No actually I am willing to look at this from other than a playground perspective.

You've attempted to side-step the entire point though. We're talking about the media's portrayal of the band. So lets be very clear:

One, the media is not the most trustworthy when it comes to this band. This is partially due to the fact that the band doesn't communicate well and seems to prefer direct contact with the fans and fan sites, rather than pandering to the mainstream media or tabloid press - but the core issue is still there. The media is ready to jump on the rumour wagon at the drop of a hate.

Two, certain people will spin anything and that video was a great example in the end. It went from SunnyDRE saying someone said Axl punched out the promoter to the promoter supposedly throwing a punch, and you know what? It's still a bunch of unconfirmed tripe.

But if you want to drag up last week's news, well: What caused this to happen - drunks throwing bottles.

Let me be very clear: The band was late. Not very late by GN'R standards. GN'R's shows often run late. This is not "news" even to casual fans. I took a couple "casual" fans to shows in Canada that were later than Dublin. We had cups - no bottles allowed. No one threw anything. The band played an awesome set. The casual fans I took, who had never seen the band live and one of whom probably knew three songs, loved it. They didn't care that the band was late, and the band didn't hit the stage til around 11PM. And played a LONG set.

There is no excusing people throwing things. Drunks throw shit at bands even when they show up on time. I go to a lot of shows, about 10 this year, I've seen it happen under all circumstances.

When your friend is late to dinner, you don't bottle him/her in the face. Period.

So you talk "what caused this to happen" all you want. What happened was, a crowd got impatient, acted like hooligans, the band gave a warning, followed up on that warning, eventually came back out when cooler heads prevail.

I've seen other acts go through this - Oasis has cut a show short and DID NOT FINISH for the same reason. Iron Maiden, AC/DC, and other bands have all threatened to stop their shows.

Something interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bottling_incidents_by_year

Bottling is mostly an issue of the past 10 years and about half the major incidents happen in Britain or Ireland.

I think now it would bother me if a band is really late but when I was younger and had been to a dozen concerts the one thing they almost all had in common was that there was a long wait for the main act to take the stage. I don't recall anyone ever getting mad or throwing things. I also saw the Atomic Punks (a Van Halen cover band, who by the way were excellent and sounded exactly like VH) and they started after midnight and a very, very long wait and nobody appeared mad.

So I don't know, has a lot changed in the concert world since the 80's?

I also think it doesn't help when people exagerate. I read a comment after a recent article where someone said it was a "5 hour" wait at Sturgis and we all know that's not true.

Guest RonMexico82

You've attempted to side-step the entire point though. We're talking about the media's portrayal of the band. So lets be very clear:

One, the media is not the most trustworthy when it comes to this band. This is partially due to the fact that the band doesn't communicate well and seems to prefer direct contact with the fans and fan sites, rather than pandering to the mainstream media or tabloid press - but the core issue is still there. The media is ready to jump on the rumour wagon at the drop of a hate.

Two, certain people will spin anything and that video was a great example in the end. It went from SunnyDRE saying someone said Axl punched out the promoter to the promoter supposedly throwing a punch, and you know what? It's still a bunch of unconfirmed tripe.

But if you want to drag up last week's news, well: What caused this to happen - drunks throwing bottles.

Let me be very clear: The band was late. Not very late by GN'R standards. GN'R's shows often run late. This is not "news" even to casual fans. I took a couple "casual" fans to shows in Canada that were later than Dublin. We had cups - no bottles allowed. No one threw anything. The band played an awesome set. The casual fans I took, who had never seen the band live and one of whom probably knew three songs, loved it. They didn't care that the band was late, and the band didn't hit the stage til around 11PM. And played a LONG set.

There is no excusing people throwing things. Drunks throw shit at bands even when they show up on time. I go to a lot of shows, about 10 this year, I've seen it happen under all circumstances.

When your friend is late to dinner, you don't bottle him/her in the face. Period.

So you talk "what caused this to happen" all you want. What happened was, a crowd got impatient, acted like hooligans, the band gave a warning, followed up on that warning, eventually came back out when cooler heads prevail.

I've seen other acts go through this - Oasis has cut a show short and DID NOT FINISH for the same reason. Iron Maiden, AC/DC, and other bands have all threatened to stop their shows.

Something interesting:

Bottling is mostly an issue of the past 10 years and about half the major incidents happen in Britain or Ireland.

Can you point out the acts other than GNR who were bottled in Ireland from that link you mentioned. From what I see most of the incidents happen in either the UK or America. There is one mention of Ireland. One.

Something interesting:

Can you point out the acts other than GNR who were bottled in Ireland from that link you mentioned. From what I see most of the incidents happen in either the UK or America. There is one mention of Ireland. One.

That's why I included Britain. Which is far closer to Ireland in geography and culture than America. Not only that, Reading accounts for at least 5 enteries, and there's a couple for Download as well. As for Ireland, it's happened at Slane (outside bottles must have caps removed for this very reason), it's happened at football games.

And regardless - it's unacceptable under any circumstances.

Something interesting:

I think you'll find that bottling was far more of an issue years ago. Wikipedia's hardly a reliable source and that article probably has more recent incidents either because they're easier to find out about or that it simply wasn't thought of as such a big deal 20 or 30 years ago.

Back in the 70s and 80s a cup of piss could be the least of a bands worries. You'd be dodging multiple glass bottles and pint glasses at some gigs and venues.

I'm not saying it's okay in any way but to say it's mostly just a recent phenomenon is misleading to say the least.

I'd have to disagree with you in part. Not about Wikipedia, that was simply the easiest reference to find, but I've been going to shows for a good 20 years - can't speak to the 70s/80s but the early 90s onwards, I almost never saw this happen. The big exception was the Woodstock re-union, which sparked a flare-up but it died down again for a while, at least around these parts. Didn't see it again til the early 2000s.

i am awake, i'm not a sheep so for me a band which doesn't put out albums year after year just to do good for fans (fanatics), it's ok. GNR rock. and yeas it's mind blowing to tour for 2 times 2001-2002(disastrous ) , 2006-2007(successful) for an album which wasn't out yet, but that is real deal, they did it! and yeas they took a year after the release of the album to tour it, and now we are at the III "campaign" of Chinese Democracy World Tour, and yeas we could laugh at or we could appreciate the amount of trust that this guys have in their own creation, artistically speaking. do you trust your self to live your life as you want and not as parents, relatives, teachers, neighbors, police, administrative suits, friends, enemies, priests etc. expect you too?! ha?

and it's about the attitude. you, the complainers, want GNR to be as mediocre as the rest of them. to be on time as you are at your jobs, to be radio friendly, to be good with media, with the fans etc.

then again were would be the rock n' roll spirit? you for shore don't got one. we should praise each artist, better yet each human which doesn't obey the system, doesn't go by "the rules". so better yet, you shoul "wake the fuck up" and stop perpetuate the sheep like attitude! ok? :thumbsup:

you should probably get your head out of axl's ass and think for yourself for change

GnR is mediocre enough nowadays without all the extra negativity ; but hey, if you like waiting till 11-12pm before they come on, more power to you -