Tour Pacing

kyrie

So, I keep noticing multi-day breaks between shows. More so than in 2002 or 2006. Downtime, not as much happening for us fans online, but probably a lot better for the band, as it gives them a chance to really see the cities they're hitting, and allows Axl to rest his vocal cords. Anyone else notice this? I'm hoping this trend continues whenever they hit North America again.

Agree, quality over quantity! Especially for the style Axl sings, the break can't be anything but good for him and the burn-out time is less if you have time to enjoy yourself on the road a bit (which makes for more heart-felt performances).

So, I keep noticing multi-day breaks between shows. More so than in 2002 or 2006. Downtime, not as much happening for us fans online, but probably a lot better for the band, as it gives them a chance to really see the cities they're hitting, and allows Axl to rest his vocal cords. Anyone else notice this? I'm hoping this trend continues whenever they hit North America again.

Kyrie. Good points. Other bands can play more dates in a shorter period and have less breaks in between legs. Remember when Axl played London in 2006 and slightly over did it. The energy of the band is fantastic and allows the families to come during the tour. ie Paris. I hope this trend continues to and enjoy different cultures around the world, not just the hotels, airports, and venues. 70 gigs is pretty good with adequate breaks. I hope we can get the same thing for next year in 2011.

The pace is shit when it still hasn't been to the United States. :shrugs:

It'll get there. Right now it just makes more sense to tour Europe - look at the number of sold out shows already. Build some steam, wait for the economy to improve a bit. This summer was a disaster for tours stateside. They were wise to wait. Even though it's just a year, hopefully it'll make a difference. I'd expect a tour of the US for late Winter/Spring/Early Summer if I had to guess.

I'd actually love to see that Korn/GN'R pairing as well. Korn can draw a few thousand fans on their own. That'd be a bill I'd travel down south for (since they already did a Canadian tour, I don't expect them back so soon).

The bigger the stage show, the more they have to keep it on the road to keep money coming in. I'm sure more gigs could also mean lower ticket prices, but that would also mean the quality of the show would suffer because of it, and there's always the potential of someone getting sick or injured that could sideline them.

There's also the matter of timing your ticket sales and shows when there's no other acts that have the same fanbase with disposable income choosing their show over yours. You might see GNR co-headlining in the US just to protect themselves, even though people would be going "hope this isn't another GNR/Metallica situation".