METALLICA's HETFIELD: 'I've Got Nothing Against GUNS N' ROSES' - Sep. 22, 2010

justmike66

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"What you see is what you get with Axl. The guy is a legend and a Black Label brother. He's the shit. I played with Guns N' Roses [in the mid-90s]. I was in Studio B and they were in Studio A. So I played Axl some of my shit, like 13 Years Of Grief. And he was like "Zakk, what fuckin' market are you trying to reach with that?" I told him "I dunno, the fuckin' farmer's market?"

So we ended up hanging and jamming together - me, Axl, Slash, Duff [McKagan], Matt [sorum] and Dizzy [Reed]. And I was like Axl, when are you gonna start singing on this shit? Let's quit fuckin' around here!" And that's when Black Label Society was born because I had all these riffs hanging around, and I thought, "Fuck it, I'll do it myself." But it's not because Axl is hard to work for. It's because he cares. He had so much passion. And I'd rather have that than some douchebag who doesn't give a fuck."

Is that a real Wylde quote? :lol:

"What you see is what you get with Axl. The guy is a legend and a Black Label brother. He's the shit. I played with Guns N' Roses [in the mid-90s]. I was in Studio B and they were in Studio A. So I played Axl some of my shit, like 13 Years Of Grief. And he was like "Zakk, what fuckin' market are you trying to reach with that?" I told him "I dunno, the fuckin' farmer's market?"

So we ended up hanging and jamming together - me, Axl, Slash, Duff [McKagan], Matt [sorum] and Dizzy [Reed]. And I was like Axl, when are you gonna start singing on this shit? Let's quit fuckin' around here!" And that's when Black Label Society was born because I had all these riffs hanging around, and I thought, "Fuck it, I'll do it myself." But it's not because Axl is hard to work for. It's because he cares. He had so much passion. And I'd rather have that than some douchebag who doesn't give a fuck."

i think so.. it's sourced: Classic Rock (March 2009, Issue 129)

It's just that he talks like a friggin cartoon character :rofl-lol:

yeah he's a fucking goof

yeah he's a fucking goof

Zakk fucking rocks!!! He's actually a really down to earth guy, and is very cool to his fans. Have you ever been to a BLS concert? It's fucking intense rock1

Edited by Christian

BLS but with axl on vocals..

yeah, pretty much

James Hetfield ackowledging that which he,himself,could not retain..

bless!

In what way though? Metallica at least has always been there for their fans, you know, playing shows, releasing albums, organizing events, meet and greets, etc...

Too bad they forgot how to write good music. Would have been perfect.

not that most of what Axl's come up with post 90s has been a winner either...

Edited by moreblack

BLS but with axl on vocals..

yeah, pretty much

James Hetfield ackowledging that which he,himself,could not retain..

bless!

In what way though? Metallica at least has always been there for their fans, you know, playing shows, releasing albums, organizing events, meet and greets, etc...

Too bad they forgot how to write good music. Would have been perfect.

Yeah, but it's still better than anything axl has done in the same time period......

After one listen of King Nothing, you know all you need to know. That song was written about Axl.

Not so sure about that. The song was recorded in 1994, while Axl was still the king of the castle.

Nirvana,Soundgarden,Alice In Chains,Red Hot Chili Peppers,NIN,Pearl Jam and the entire Seattle movement would probably disagree with you on that one. By 1994, MTV and American youth had already moved far beyond Axl Rose.

Besides, I'm pretty sure King Nothing was confirmed to be about Axl. I remember reading about it in Metallica's forum years ago.

Edited by Nintari

yeah he's a fucking goof

Zakk fucking rocks!!! He's actually a really down to earth guy, and is very cool to his fans. Have you ever been to a BLS concert? It's fucking intense rock1

yes, yes and yes i've been at a BLS concert in 2007 and it was amazing, still a goof

After one listen of King Nothing, you know all you need to know. That song was written about Axl.

Not so sure about that. The song was recorded in 1994, while Axl was still the king of the castle.

Nirvana,Soundgarden,Alice In Chains,Red Hot Chili Peppers,NIN,Pearl Jam and the entire Seattle movement would probably disagree with you on that one. By 1994, MTV and American youth had already moved far beyond Axl Rose.

Besides, I'm pretty sure King Nothing was confirmed to be about Axl. I remember reading about it in Metallica's forum years ago.

Hadn't they just finished the longest tour in history? A lot of which was in the states. While temporarily the focus shifted if Guns had put out a proper album in 95-96 they would have been all over the U.S. media. Thats just a fact. The record company was begging them to do a record. Hardly seems like something the suits would do for a band that had no marketability.

This site really is the biggest Axl hater site on the internet.

which one? this or the one who post the interview?

and, on topic - so what "metalicaca's hetfield" got nothing against GNR? do we care?

they - metalicaca - definitely got nothing on guns n' fucking roses! so who needs the opinion of a poor singer and even meaningless lyrics writer such as James Hetfield? does he even come close to, let's say, singing, anyway?

ah, the humanity! B)

I know we all want more news about GNR, but this is just off. what's going to be next? to put in a news were "some-now-popular-music-star" mentions he/she finds inspiration in GNR?

but, hey! I get it, you(general term for fans) seek world re-recognition for GNR, isn't it?! would it fell better if all - I mean all - mass-media, and not just, but each and every major "artist", and even each and every person you meet on the streets will tell you that GNR ar the best?

I didn't want to post in this topic, hopeful it will go away, but, since you brought it back on the main page! :shrugs: I had to.

peace n' out!

Hadn't they just finished the longest tour in history? A lot of which was in the states. While temporarily the focus shifted if Guns had put out a proper album in 95-96 they would have been all over the U.S. media. Thats just a fact. The record company was begging them to do a record. Hardly seems like something the suits would do for a band that had no marketability.

How can something that never happened be a fact? How does that work?

How can something that never happened be a fact? How does that work?

The last two sentences explain that. "Moved far beyond Axl Rose". What a load. They hadn't released any original material in three years. Really dumb comment. Sorry you don't like it.

Edited by tange

That tour ended in 1993. Were you alive back then? Were you in high school? In America, no one was wearing Guns N Roses shirts anymore. Just bringing up the name Axl Rose got you laughed at. We all had greasy hair, torn baggy jeans, converse and Nirvana shirts on. MTV and the entire youth culture had shifted by this point. Guns N Roses were thought of as "your dads music" and they were no longer "cool" by any stretch of the imagination. Lollapalooza was all the rage.....it was a different era by that point. Seattle had taken over and won in America.

Edited by Nintari

That tour ended in 1993. Were you alive back then? Were you in high school? In America, no one was wearing Guns N Roses shirts anymore. Just bringing up the name Axl Rose got you laughed at. We all had greasy hair, torn baggy jeans, converse and Nirvana shirts on. MTV and the entire youth culture had shifted by this point. Guns N Roses were thought of as "your dads music" and they were no longer "cool" by any stretch of the imagination. Lollapalooza was all the rage.....it was a different era by that point. Seattle had taken over and won in America.

Actually I was in junior high but they were still huge. So a tour ends and overnight the band is irrelevant? I don't think so. I remember people saying they were pissed that the spaghetti incident wasn't new material. It was a cover album released in november of 1993 and was number 4 on the billboard 200. Nevermind and Ten had been released a year earlier.

So your telling me a band that had no appeal whatsoever because of the aforementioned bands releasing albums a year earlier led to guns demise? Then explain the sales of a freaking cover album!

perhaps MTV attempted to make it seem as if Guns were no more, but the reality is that Old Guns was still a GIANT draw. Hell Snakepit album had no publicity and still managed to sell well

Edited by tange

None of that stopped bands like Metallica, U2, or Pantera from topping the charts and selling out bigger places than Nirvana ever could. Guns would've been up there as well had they delivered new material.

None of that stopped bands like Metallica, U2, or Pantera from topping the charts and selling out bigger places than Nirvana ever could. Guns would've been up there as well had they delivered new material.

Exactly. Nirvana was the favored son of MTV but consumers still had a desire for the material from other types of artists. Thats what made the nineties so cool. Everybody liked everything. Music in general was a monster business.

Oh and to the other poster I went to Lollapalooza and owned all the albums from bands that could be described as "Seattle" bands. Ten is still the best of those albums.

Edited by tange

GNR was touring so much and the music had been out there for 2 years, that people just had other stuff to listen to. Their tours were still selling out everywhere they go, and I can't see how a band that had been around for 5 years would be soccer mom music. You can't go from having one of the biggest songs in 1992, to being a joke in 1993. They ran out of new stuff to put out there, and wound up putting TSI out, which received mixed reviews and not as much interest, prob. because we were oversaturated with GNR by then. But the circus part of the GNR concerts, the showing up late, cutting shows early, pissed a lot of people off and they lost a lot of fans because of it.

But you'd have to look at the late 90s... KISS' "Carnival of Souls" and Van Halen "III", where they were following trends, and we've heard all the stories of Axl trying to sound like 90s "nu-metal" when he started recording CD. Or Metallica cutting their hair and doing "Load" and "Reload" although "St Anger" is the one people really bashed hard and relentlessly. But like I say, worst album in the catalog but we got a fucking awesome movie out of it. Best rock doc of all time.