Rockstars that dropped out of High School

American Psycho

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

From the original GnR, only Izzy graduated. Later on, Duff got his GED and went to college, but I don't know if he ever finished.

Doesn't Duff got University graduation or something? :unsure:

I've read Tom Waits dropped out of high school, but I doubt it considering his parents were teachers and it was during the height of Vietnam. Turned out he went to a 2 year college, and what he says in interviews should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt.

Billy Joel did drop out and the school gave him his diploma sometime in the 80s. I'm sure he's "donated" enough money to the music department.

A lot of child stars don't have high school diplomas because they were tutored. Also, if they were young actors or musicians in the 70s,60s, 50s, people dropped out a lot more to earn a living. If someone at 16 was working nights and making a few hundred a week playing gigs, they figured it was better to drop out and travel than it was to stick around town and get beatdowns from the jocks.

But I think most of them knew what they wanted and took a leap.

Most celebs who drop out regret it. Very few look at it as a smart decision. The common thread is that most of them had short attention spans to sit still in school and became difficult to deal with that the schools were more than happy to release them. Most of them do get a GED and might take some sort of college class for their own personal gain, esp when they have online classes and private schools out there for working adults.

Some of them knew what they wanted to do with their lives in their teens and stuck to it. But they've also said they felt it hurt them when they were ripped off in contracts. But a teenager making a grand and up a week at night, is going to prioritize that over getting up at 6AM.

There's also a lot of people who dropped out and joined the military, and got their GED while they were in uniform. The ones from the Depression era had to do with hard times and survival, which overruled getting an education.

Dave Navarro was kicked out of high school but he also watched the boyfriend of his mom pull the trigger on her (was on Americas Most Wanted in the early 90s) when he was starting out as a paid musician at 13-14.

Ozzy wrote about it in his book, how he got out of finishing school.

Here's a list.

http://www.angelfire.com/stars4/lists/dropouts.html

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

Did any actually finish school?

How many have degree's besides Duff?

I remember seeing some reality show with Tommy from Crue going to college anytime I saw it though he was staring at some blonde girls boobs

You arent a rockstar if you dont drop out of high school. Thats why I gave up on becoming one. Also, I believe Alex Lifeson of Rush dropped out.

I remember something about Peart dropping out..might have been in the book or "Beyond the Lighted Stage".

There's also a scene of Lifeson talking with his parents about dropping out of school. It was filmed in the early 70s and was about Canadian teenagers living on a commune, when Rush was playing school auditoriums doing cover songs.

I remember seeing some reality show with Tommy from Crue going to college anytime I saw it though he was staring at some blonde girls boobs

Brian May from Queen has a PhD, and I think the lead singer from The Offspring has one as well. I know a few other have degrees.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

Brian May from Queen has a PhD, and I think the lead singer from The Offspring has one as well. I know a few other have degrees.

Wow that's cool didn't know that

Do you know if tommy Lee finished that degree?