GNR Xmas Fan Campaign

Millions

Ok, all you septic tanks (yanks) over there might not get this, but here in Scotland and the rest of the UK, the Xmas Chart Number One is a huge deal. Its seen as being quite a big coup over here to be number one on the chart on Xmas day, with special TV shows, Facebook campaigns, etc. Last year, Rage Against The Machine benefited from this and were the winners after an internet campaign to get an anti-establishment / anti cheesy-pop song to number one. This story was huge in the papers and the news.

Anyway, here is what I proposet. Imagine if the current line-up of GNR were to go into the studio for a couple of hours and bang out a version of some famous Xmas classic like Frosty The Snowman or Merry Xmas (war is over). Kind of a piss-take, and not taking itself too seriously (along the lines of Ron's live version of The Pink Panther).

Other big bands (ie REM and U2) do this kind of thing every year, and send out Cds to fanclub members every Xmas. Like I said, it would only need to take an hour or 2 (I frankly can't see Axl spending more than this). I just think it would be really cool and funny to hear Ron shredding on Chestnuts Rossting On An Open Fire...... They could release it straight to the fans over the websites.

Who's with me???

John

207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

:confused:

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea of a facebook page trying to get a Chinese Democracy song to number one over the X Factor like there was with Rage last year.

Edited by Guest

bumblefoot covered the grinch theme in LA in 2006, other than that, i don't see it happen and don't want to either. can't see how this could work, RATMs song pretty much as you say tells the commercialized crap and labels to fuck off, we don't want your shit,

also, what would SCOM say? it already is a cheesy pop song (snap, did i just say that?)

Maybe not SCOM, but what about Don't damn me. It has the "in your face" attitude to it. That would be a kick ass song.

it needs to be an existing single for it to work, unless GNR suddenly decide to release a new one (This I Love would be ideal for an xmas single but it aint gonna happen)