Guns N' Roses October 17th Birmingham UK

jackrory

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back. Awesome night. Axl and the band on top form, and even though he had a bad throat, he still sounded like a demon on the mic. Bit gutted I didn't hear Better, IRS, Don't Cry and Nice Boys, but it was understandable at the end of the day!

Thank you GnR!!!!!

Just got back about an hour ago. Fuckin awesome night. It would have been great to hear Better or Nice Boys but still an amazing show anyway, and hearing Shacklers live for the 1st time made up for it. :D Crowd was brilliant down the front, no trouble at all other than one dickhead that got kicked out by Baz for fighting or something. "All together now, BYE BYE ASSHOLE!!!" :rofl-lol:

I'd no idea Axl was having trouble with his throat till he mentioned it afterwards - I thought he sounded incredible the whole show. I thought they were brilliant when I saw them in 06, but this was a million times better. Can't wait till next time they're over here now.

Photo0107-1.jpg

Photo0108-1.jpg

Photo0105-1.jpg

Fan-fucking-tastic, noone seemed bothered by Axl's late appearance, everyone seem to have expected it, there were even signs up saying it's likley this show will finish late.

Axl was on form tonight, Rocket Queen and You Could Be Mine especally.

Great night.

just got home (live in Bournemouth)

could tell early that axl wasn't quite right, he didn't sound as good as in london. still great though. he said at the end he woke up this morning with a bad throat, said something about the scheduling too but i didn't hear it properly. wasnt too late. lots of people left after nightrain, i guess last train was around that time..?

guy above ^ obviously didn't hear the booing at about 950! :rofl-lol: nothing too bad though

crowd were good, birmingham crowd in 06 were better tho imo. most of the people with seats sat the whole way through :shrugs:

I heared the booing just before Guns came on - the same happened in 06 - but once they came on everyone was jumping!!

Highlight for me has got to be This I Love - Axl was absolutely amazing on this song and the band where fantastic too!!!

I also loved hearing Rocket Queen - first time I've heared it live in the flesh - finally after seeing them 4 times!!

I thought the setlist was missing a few songs such as IRS & Better - but being on the forums (even lurking like I do) spoils you a bit - my 2 mates aren't forum members and thought it was awesome!!

Rosie sounded great and Axl seemed really on form even with his bad throat - can't wait to see them again - hoping for next album & tour (hey - I'm still fairly young!!)

Had about 3-4 hours sleep but couldn't wait to get up, check out my vids + pics, tell you guys about the show and look forward to tonight.

Pre-show

Arena was practically full, only the back two blocks (single-tiered arena) were about a quater full, but place was packed !!

There were a few asshole's trying to start fights etc, but they were dealt with long before GN'R hit the stage.

Also saw a guy in a former band-member's wig (no guesses which one). Can't understand why youd pay £45 to turn up dressed as a guy who left a decade ago, but oh well.

Was about 2 meteres from the stage (front-row), where Jarmo was prepping his camera down the front, but didnt wanna bother the guy.

Sebastian Bach 7.30-8.40ish

Bach was great !! Best warm-up act I've ever seen (and thats a lot of gigs).

Now, I know what youre thinking. But I assure you this mini-review or whatever isnt the opinion of some starry-eyed kid going to his first gig. I'll be critical where its warranted.

So yeah, crowd were in the palm of Sebastian's hands, he's a great showman more than anything else. Terrific on the mic talking to the audience, and the band were good enough to leave an impression.

My personal opinion is that Seb was what separated the other UK gigs from the Dublin gig. He left the crowd happy to be waiting for Guns, whereas in Dublin, the support left a little to be desired.

Seb knew what his role was and gave it plenty of energy. I've never seen a crowd so into a support act's set.

GN'R 10.00-12.10

Okay, the main event. Fans were cheering for them with surprising vigour until around 9.50, at which point there was one round of boos following the track that was played through the speakers.

They were audible but as soon as the house lights went down, the place went into uproar and all was forgiven. I didnt see anybody leave (even after paradise, arena was probably 80% full, which is rare as most people try to escape the traffic).

Band were in top-form last night, equally as good as Leeds Festival earlier in the year, sound mix was probably better last night though. Sound was full and powerful, although Axl's vocals drifted a bit too low in the mix a couple of times (Sweet Child O' Mine), but he was gesturing to the crew to sort it out, which they did.

Axl was clearly suffering the most from cold/flu, as I could see him sorting himself out after every song (was on the front row, right next to stage). Having said that, I would never have known. His vocals were better than at Leeds Festival, and you would have had no way of knowing he was ill from the performance, I'm certain of that.

Bumblefoot was either ill or drunk, but still playing like a demon, even mouthing to the camera "I'm so fucked up right now" at one point. Not sure if he meant illness or booze, couldnt really tell but he was fighting something. His solo's were spot on though, and the Pink Panther (didnt think I'd enjoy this one) was powerful and the best solo skit of the night.

DJ was about 2 meteres from us the whole night, often looking right at our front row, playing with tremendous energy and charisma. If this guy isnt the poster child for fan interaction, then I'm not sure who is (BBF maybe? haha). He regularly gestured to the crowd, at one point coming right down to the front barriers to do a mid-show meet-and-greet. His solo's were fantastic and are well refined, no sign of the minor inconsistencies which were there during the asia leg.

Tommy seemed about the most focused and you could really hear his bassline keeping everything in check. Underrated and his backing vocals were great too (YCBM a standout).

Fortus was mental. Not sure how else to describe the guy. He was staggering everywhere like a drunk, but hammering home every chord. Must say too, his solo's may of been the best sounding of the lot, could of been the mix that made his guitar stand out the most, but he never faultered all night. This guy has incredible energy, my girlfriend remarked that he'd probably be dead by the end of the night, given the pace he was going at.

Frank is probably the best drummer I've seen live, perhaps alongside Dave Grohl, not much between the two. Phenomenal beat all night, and really evident from tracks like YCBM, RQ and LALD that he can really power it home where needed. Very distinguishable beats and well placed in the mix too. You rock, Frank.

Finally there were a few standout moments. At one point Axl did the can-can with Tommy (band were clearly having a ball, or trying to, despite being ill), and then Axl went over to Bumblefoot to do the same thing. BBF couldn't hack it ! He could only do one leg because he was so messed up, hilarious to watch.

Knockin' On Heavens Door was probably the song of the night. Always a great track live but the fan-interaction, stripped-down parts and Axl's room to scream provided for a great atmosphere.

The band were also clearly having a blast. Plenty of on-stage pranks going on. Axl messing with Richard's dials, Ashba playing his guitar with a drumstick at one point, pushing each other, random dancing with Axl & BBF, all great fun. Axl was in a good mood too despite his sore throat (didnt realise he had one until afterwards).

Oh and a final shout out to a Whole Lotta Rosie. You gotta hear that shit live. One of the best songs of the night, very powerful and energetic, the boys belted this one home.

There were a couple of things about the setlist I'd of changed, but I'm sure the band played what they felt best doing, and I'm equally sure others would have a different opinion to mine. Dropping "Better", "Don't Cry" and "Nice Boys" whilst keeping Shacklers, Sorry and Madagascar wasnt a choice I'd of made. I have very few complaints though, from what was a great evening. Its also obvious how Nice Boys and Better may have damaged Axl's throat, and they have to take into account tonight's gig for sure. It was still a great setlist, if necessarily shorter.

The guys came out after paradise city for a final bow before My Way hit the speakers. Axl said "Thanks for coming out tonight" and remarked something like "Birmingham isnt just another one of our regional spots that we have on the schedule" or something similar. He then claimed "I woke up this morning, and I had a sore throat, and I was like argh... shit....but we all had a good fucking time tonight right?". Something very similar anyway, exact wording is probably off. I thought it was a nice touch though, as he was obviously struggling even if we couldnt tell. Very decent of him to mention it and still give his all.

Phenomenal show. Hope its not too long before theyre back in the UK.

Good, Fucking, Morning.

Edited by Azazel

Just got back in Cardiff. I'm knackered! Will post a full review later but needless to say the best damn night of my life. Reading was nothing compared to last night. Axl was singing great despite having a sore throat and he seemed in such a great mood. These guys are the best damn live act around. Reunion, who needs one? Lets just hope its not another four years until Guns come back over to the UK.

Had a great time at the show :)

Sebastian Bach was a great warm up act, not really into his music but it was a great performance all the same, lots of fun and the crowd got behind him. His er.. "package" was disturbing though!

GNR came on just before 10pm, and put on a great show, it made up for the Dublin gig that was ruined by some idiot. There were no real surprises for me as I've been following the set lists on here, but I went with a friend who's not necessarily a guns fan and he had a total blast.

I thought early on that Axl's voice was very raspy and that he must of had a bad throat, he mentioned this at the end. But It didn't take away from a great performance. Not sure how he'll sound tonight!!

I really enjoyed Richard who was the stand out guitarist for me, looked like he was having a great time.

During YCBM there was a huge figtht right beside me between 2 guys, I saw one of them earlier in the night giving some girl a hard time - she punched the guy hard in the back of the head. I actually thought Axl saw this and was gonna stop it as it was half way between the sound desk and stage - but security must have got there.

The venue was quite good, but for the last 3-4 songs the sound wasn't as good for some reason, static noise or something - not sure if this was my ears giving up or what! or a problem with the mix.

All in all a great night for what'll probably be the last time I'll have a chance to see them live - not sure when/if they'll tour again, but you never know

Have fun if you're off to man rock1 chester tonight

First review.

Guns N’ Roses

LG Arena, Birmingham

words and pictures by James Watkins

Axl Rose is rock's true demigod

You have to admire the chutzpah of Axl Rose. The frontman of Guns N’ Roses belongs to a wilder, more decadent time. Not for him the rigours of arriving on time or playing by the rules. During his heyday, the willfully anarchic outlaw epitomised the excesses of sexs ‘n’ drugs ‘n’ rock ‘n’ roll.

On Sunday, following months of speculation and mass media coverage, Guns N’ Roses finally arrived at Birmingham’s LG Arena to delight a sold out and extremely patient crowd.

Hearing the news that the band being would be nearly an hour late for their stage time came as no surprise to GNR fans and Axl Rose, rock’s true demigod, waltzed onstage at 10.10pm to kick off proceedings with Chines Democracy.

The light-hearted boos turned into thunderous ovation and hysteria as Rose screamed down the mic and lifted the roof in a way only he could.

It was almost like going back in time as the effervescent frontman danced around the stage in torn jeans, silver jacket and trademark hat and sunglasses as the re-shaped band played through a set of classics, including the incendiary Welcome To The Jungle.

Other classic GNR tracks on the set list included It’s So Easy, Heaven’s Door, and the epic November Rain, which saw Rose pull up at his piano for a three-song solo that could have made you believed you were back in the 1980′s.

The two-hour set failed to disappoint, even featuring the classic Live & Let Die cover, set amidst a massive blast of pyrotechnics and flames that lit the arena up like a firecracker. The biggest cheer of the night graced the power chords of Sweet Child Of Mine.

Ending the night with yet more pyrotechnics and an awesome version of Night Train, the band really played a remarkable gig that brought memories flooding back and Paradise City closed the curtain just after midnight.

They may be the most arrogant and tardy band to ever grace the stage, but if for those prepared to wait in line, they gave a performance to cherish.

Shropshire Star

First review.

Guns N’ Roses

LG Arena, Birmingham

words and pictures by James Watkins

Axl Rose is rock's true demigod

You have to admire the chutzpah of Axl Rose. The frontman of Guns N’ Roses belongs to a wilder, more decadent time. Not for him the rigours of arriving on time or playing by the rules. During his heyday, the willfully anarchic outlaw epitomised the excesses of sexs ‘n’ drugs ‘n’ rock ‘n’ roll.

On Sunday, following months of speculation and mass media coverage, Guns N’ Roses finally arrived at Birmingham’s LG Arena to delight a sold out and extremely patient crowd.

Hearing the news that the band being would be nearly an hour late for their stage time came as no surprise to GNR fans and Axl Rose, rock’s true demigod, waltzed onstage at 10.10pm to kick off proceedings with Chines Democracy.

The light-hearted boos turned into thunderous ovation and hysteria as Rose screamed down the mic and lifted the roof in a way only he could.

It was almost like going back in time as the effervescent frontman danced around the stage in torn jeans, silver jacket and trademark hat and sunglasses as the re-shaped band played through a set of classics, including the incendiary Welcome To The Jungle.

Other classic GNR tracks on the set list included It’s So Easy, Heaven’s Door, and the epic November Rain, which saw Rose pull up at his piano for a three-song solo that could have made you believed you were back in the 1980′s.

The two-hour set failed to disappoint, even featuring the classic Live & Let Die cover, set amidst a massive blast of pyrotechnics and flames that lit the arena up like a firecracker. The biggest cheer of the night graced the power chords of Sweet Child Of Mine.

Ending the night with yet more pyrotechnics and an awesome version of Night Train, the band really played a remarkable gig that brought memories flooding back and Paradise City closed the curtain just after midnight.

They may be the most arrogant and tardy band to ever grace the stage, but if for those prepared to wait in line, they gave a performance to cherish.

Shropshire Star

This guy "gets it"! Bloody hell is this the best review Axl's gitten since old gnr days? Finally a reviewer without an agenda!

Guns N’ Roses concert review

Birmingham LG Arena

In rock circles the lead singer of Guns N’ Roses if often known as “the late Axl Rose”.

Indeed there were even signs around the NEC last night warning fans “It is possible that the concert may run late this evening.”

Click the picture on the right to start the photo gallery

True to form, Rose was up to his usual tricks, an hour behind schedule by the time the band finally hit the stage at 10pm – some good-natured booing having started 30 minutes earlier.

Whether you accept this current line-up as Guns N’ Roses or prefer to think of it as “The Axl Rose Band” – the singer being the only original member – there’s no doubting they know how to put on a spectacle.

Giant screens, a huge stage with ramps for the band to move around, pyrotechnics and unbelievably loud explosions were all put to full effect as Rose’s trademark whining wail cut through the wall of sound produced by no fewer than three guitarists.

The two-hour-plus set was divided between GnR classics like Welcome To the Jungle and Sweet Child o’ Mine, covers including Live And Let Die, Knocking on Heaven’s Door, AC/DC’s Whole Lotta Rosie and even Pink Floyd’s Another Brick In The Wall Part 2 as well as numbers from the band’s 2008 album Chinese Democracy.

Letting all the guitarists and a keyboard player each have an extended solo spot was maybe not the best idea, although that did allow Rose to race off to change his costume many times over.

But Rose’s own piano introduction to November Rain, which took in Elton John’s Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Someone Saved My Life Tonight, was a thing of grandeur.

Many fans had already left the arena as the midnight hour passed and the band launched into their final number of the night, Paradise City.

Axl Rose may have been late but most of those who stayed seemed happy to hail him as great.

By Ian Harvey

Read more: http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2010/10/18/guns-n-roses-at-birmingham-lg-arena-concert-review/#ixzz12iOtF3zZ

It's a decent review I guess, bit bland like the previous one.

However, these two statements are totally inaccurate:

Many fans had already left the arena as the midnight hour passed and the band launched into their final number of the night, Paradise City.

Maybe he left? The place was still 80% full, which I thought was amazing as a lot of people leave to beat traffic etc.

the band finally hit the stage at 10pm – some good-natured booing having started 30 minutes earlier.

It was one boo at 9.50, inbetween the music tracks played through the arena speakers

My first Guns N' Roses show and they did not disapoint. Was completely epic.

I'm not good at reviews but the highlight was Nightrain for me. Even if there was a massive fist fight next to me. Other than that Whole Lotta Rosie was just mind blowing and really made it a great night.

Regarding the booing. It seemed to start at about 9:40 where i was standing. And a fair few people were leaving before Paradise. Personaly if you don't stay for the whole show it's a wasted journey in my eyes.

There's always a few who leave to beat the traffic, but id say 80% stayed. I was right next to the stage (seated) and looking back across the arena, it was still pretty damn full.

Booing might have been more audible where you were ssiscool, from where I was, there was only one that I could hear.

The booing- it seemed more of a pantomine boo to me-like they were doing it for entertainment. Just the 1 loud boo at about 10'ish.TBH i didn't notice what time Axl came on or went off stage-I was enjoying myself to much!

Some people left for transport-but in an arena full of people it went unoticed -wasn't LOADS thats for sure! :lol:

As far as i'm concerned it was the night of

my life-Axl was in good spirits-vocally strong & the whole band have a great connection to the crowd.

1 of my pics-many didn't come out so good this is a better 1.

64954_1652916084876_1296256821_31783993_2121692_n.jpg

more here